Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (590)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  ignore  |  Print  
  Go on, ask me anything.  (Read 68716 times)
Offline Nate

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 158
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #30 - Posted 2011-03-15 19:47:16 »

Why is water wet?

Offline tberthel
« Reply #31 - Posted 2011-03-15 21:24:33 »

Great thread.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 421
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #32 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:21:17 »

Noticed some applet related code in the source code above, was there a plan to release an applet version of ROTT?
Also how do you stay so focused on a single project? (personally just loose focus after a while and can't work it on it anymore, so any tips would be appreciated).
I did at one point have Ultratron running as an applet, but I've since backed out half the code that made it reasonably easy, as I don't want to be beholden to browser frolics. Apple, I mean you. Also there is the small problem that RotT is about 60mb which doesn't make for a great first time experience, and applets are all about that instant fix. I could spend a whole load of time figuring out how to stream the thing down dynamically on-demand but... meh. This is what gakai is for.

Staying focused is not easy. We lose focus a lot. Occasionally I have to do Real Work to pay the bills, or have babies, or just get really sick of a game, or get distracted by a new game. Revenge is on its fourth almost total rewrite. Every time we got close to something complete we decided it was crap and scrapped the whole thing. I'm glad we did now. But I'm a bit grimly disappointed that I just don't quite have any natural talent in the area of game design that lets me knock out brilliant games in 5 minutes like some people around here. Kev, Markus, etc. I'm looking at you. The only way we can succeed is by doggedly plugging away at it bashing it with hammers until it looks OK.

Persistence is perhaps the most important ingredient in this business if you don't have much in the way of talent or skills.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #33 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:22:09 »

Why is water wet?
http://www.why-is-the-sky-blue.tv/why-is-water-wet.htm
Bah, any Google search would have given you this answer Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline tberthel
« Reply #34 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:25:10 »

I've had no luck whatsoever in convincing anyone to join Puppygames and work with us

I offered to join you more than once, but I couldn't convince you I guess.  Maybe my latest multiplayer game will change your mind.

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #35 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:34:47 »

oh, also I've been curious to get your take on:

1) Why did you start LWJGL?

2) The LWJGL svn records go as far back as Tue Jul 23 20:11:38 2002 (around the time of java 1.4 release) what can you recall about the history of LWJGL (make it detailed if possible)? also do you have an approx. date on when you started working on it?

4) Who originally helped you set it all up and how did the original LWJGL team get together?
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #36 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:43:37 »

oh, also I've been curious to get your take on:
1) Why did you start LWJGL?
2) The LWJGL svn records go as far back as Tue Jul 23 20:11:38 2002 (around the time of java 1.4 release) what can you recall about the history of LWJGL (make it detailed if possible)? also do you have an approx. date on when you started working on it?
4) Who originally helped you set it all up and how did the original LWJGL team get together?
1. Because I wanted to do some live TV graphics and Java graphics were rubbish back in the day. Hm in fact they still are in many respects, though there's some good stuff hidden in there. Hidden being the problem. It began life as a thing called jglib, and got changed to LWJGL after discussion with crazy Danes.
2-4. Hah, that's a whole blog post's worth of answers. The tl;dr version is, you have Matzon, Elias, Spasi, CaptainJester, and various others all from JGO (all mentioned on the lwjgl page) to really thank for it all, I just got it started originally. The real breakthroughs came from Elias (who got the Linux and Mac versions working) because before that it was just crappy old Windows-only and not much use. Matzon now does a fantastic job of administering it all and Spasi gets new OpenGL APIs in there usually within hours of being announced.

Cas Smiley

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #37 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:48:15 »

ah nice, cool stuff.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 355
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:49:21 »

Hey Cas, quick questions:
1. Are you a female?!?
2. You started LWJGL?!?!?
Grin

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #39 - Posted 2011-03-15 22:54:13 »

Hey Cas, quick questions:
1. Are you a female?!?
2. You started LWJGL?!?!?
1. You should be so lucky!  Kiss
2. Yes in the dim distant annals of the past

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #40 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:05:47 »

How did you end getting into the Humble Indie Bundle? As in, who did you contact and/or who contacted you?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #41 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:17:47 »

How did you end getting into the Humble Indie Bundle? As in, who did you contact and/or who contacted you?
I spend a lot of time networking, or, wasting time on forums, as my girlfriend puts it. I know a lot of people Smiley And one of those people is Jeffrey Rosen, and I hang out in secret places with him. And so it goes. Expect more from the Bundle with Puppygames...

Cas Smiley

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8

Java tames rock!

« Reply #42 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:21:21 »

I really like the artwork on your games.  Is it all prerendered as bitmaps, or done with OGL shaders?

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 355
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #43 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:24:42 »

Oh whoops, just looked at your profile Grin

I just had a small inkling Wink

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8

Java tames rock!

« Reply #44 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:28:09 »

Hey, Cas is just down the road from me (Farnham).  I often go to Basingstoke and shop in Festival Place.  There's quite a good sports centre, although I haven't been there for a while.  There was a ice rink, which I staggered round a couple of years ago.

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline BatKid

Senior Newbie

« Reply #45 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:30:22 »

Nice thread! Learned lots about indie development.

One question: What's the best way to market yourself without a marketing budget?

Learn Java in 3D with env3d
Offline xinaesthetic

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

« Reply #46 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:34:34 »

Hey, Cas is just down the road from me (Farnham).  I often go to Basingstoke and shop in Festival Place.  There's quite a good sports centre, although I haven't been there for a while.  There was a ice rink, which I staggered round a couple of years ago.
I live in Winchester, and often pass through on the train on the way to London... rarely have any reason to actually go to Basingstoke, though.  The Anvil (concert hall) is good.  I've been around the ice rink a few times in my childhood...
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #47 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:44:24 »

I really like the artwork on your games.  Is it all prerendered as bitmaps, or done with OGL shaders?
All prerendered. I've never actually used a shader yet - we're still fixed function pipeline!

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #48 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:47:48 »

Nice thread! Learned lots about indie development.
One question: What's the best way to market yourself without a marketing budget?
If I knew that I'd be successful too Smiley To put hard figures on it - "releasing a game" brings in about 100x more money than any other activity we've tried to date. After that, advertising is basically the only way to go. Special offers like the Ultrabundle are good for little boosts. And getting to know people like TimW etc. from indiegames.com and so on is crucial. Networking!

If you're lucky you'll have a game with something new, unique, addictive and also viral in it that arrives to fill a hole in the market of people's desires, like Minecraft had. But most of us aren't lucky or have different games inside us that don't possess all those qualities.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #49 - Posted 2011-03-15 23:48:12 »

Oh and I moved back from Basingstoke to Taunton again Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline dapy
« Reply #50 - Posted 2011-03-16 01:07:23 »

Now that you're writing games as a profession rather than a hobby, has all the fun been sucked out of it?

Looking at the success of the Humble Indie Bundle, I guess ROTT has been your most successful game to date. Do you think this is because the game itself is inherently superior to your previous titles? Or is it simply due to better marketing?

Do you get lots of support issues for ROTT? What's the most pant-wettingly stupid support issue you've had?

Can i borrow your brain for, say, 6 months?

If you were stuck in a lift with Colonel Gaddafi, Idi Amin and British Prime Minister David Cameron, how many times would you punch David Cameron in the face?

Re: source code - good stuff lad.
Offline SimonH
« Reply #51 - Posted 2011-03-16 02:24:56 »

Oh and I moved back from Basingstoke to Taunton again Smiley
Ah! The lovely west country! I lived in Bristol for many years - have a pint of that there zider for me!

People make games and games make people
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

Medals: 32

« Reply #52 - Posted 2011-03-16 02:46:30 »

Why are there so many British people on these forums?

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #53 - Posted 2011-03-16 03:08:56 »

Thanks for the detailed answer re the text. That's the part that I find really annoying when i try to make something.

Another question: Do you play your own games or any games in general, and how quickly do you get bored of your own games? Don't you ever get bored of the gameplay before you even finish the game?

Offline Sinuath

Junior Devvie

Medals: 2

« Reply #54 - Posted 2011-03-16 04:28:11 »

How do you make your sound/music? Any suggestions for someone with absolutely no musical talent? (i was thinking of using a kazoo)

Hey [you][/you], you should totally check out my boring Site ~ http://davediel.com/chris
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #55 - Posted 2011-03-16 08:25:51 »

why are you not permanently on #lwjgl? - thats where all the cool kids are! Grin

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #56 - Posted 2011-03-16 10:31:03 »

1. Now that you're writing games as a profession rather than a hobby, has all the fun been sucked out of it?
2. Looking at the success of the Humble Indie Bundle, I guess ROTT has been your most successful game to date. Do you think this is because the game itself is inherently superior to your previous titles? Or is it simply due to better marketing?
3. Do you get lots of support issues for ROTT? What's the most pant-wettingly stupid support issue you've had?
4. Can i borrow your brain for, say, 6 months?
5. If you were stuck in a lift with Colonel Gaddafi, Idi Amin and British Prime Minister David Cameron, how many times would you punch David Cameron in the face?
1. Not exactly, I've been doing this all my life. Doing it as a profession just makes it more panicky and stressful.
2. No, it's entirely down to the Humble Bundle. Revenge is actually otherwise a complete failure, worse than all our other games by a factor of 3 at least.
3. Nope. Although the most irritating support issue was my own doing - the original Humble Bundle installer installed a desktop icon that didn't work. Whoops! 200 emails.
4. I need it Smiley
5. As many times as necessary.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #57 - Posted 2011-03-16 10:31:24 »

Why are there so many British people on these forums?
Because Britain makes the best games  Cool

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #58 - Posted 2011-03-16 10:32:35 »

Another question: Do you play your own games or any games in general, and how quickly do you get bored of your own games? Don't you ever get bored of the gameplay before you even finish the game?
Sad confession: I play my own games incessantly, mostly to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. Half of the time it's playtesting or finding bugs, the other half it's looking for ways to improve the game. I am really quite sick of Revenge now though Smiley I'm halfway through Amnesia which I plan to resume in a day or two.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #59 - Posted 2011-03-16 10:35:29 »

How do you make your sound/music? Any suggestions for someone with absolutely no musical talent? (i was thinking of using a kazoo)
I use FruityLoops and SimSynth, and occasionally find bits and bobs on the freesound project (reminds me, must make a text file with the attributions in!). Proper people do the music and some of the better sound effects as although I've got a keen ear for music I can't actually use any of the tools or play an instrument, and besides, I don't have time.

The kazoo idea has merit. You can get an awful lot of expression out of a kazoo - it'd even be an interesting and unique way to deliver sound. Do make sure to record it in high def with a serious mic and stick eggboxes all over the walls of your room though or it will sound like a bloke in a room with a kazoo.

Cas Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

trollwarrior1 (28 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (70 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (49 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (43 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (37 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (61 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (65 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (79 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04

CopyableCougar4 (78 views)
2014-11-01 23:36:41
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org