Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (552)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  ignore  |  Print  
  Mathematical vectors  (Read 13686 times)
Offline DzzD
« Reply #90 - Posted 2011-04-08 21:27:25 »

"ridiculous" ?!  your incredible... I ve posted sample,  given arguments... You tell about SSE and such but dont show anything, plz dont point to another or someone else article or bench... show your own one it will be easier to talk about. I never argue to always use double and I sometime use float for example  to define object vertice in its local space ( only to save some memory ). really I can change my mind about double and float but it will requiere stronger arguments than "I eard. .." or "look  at this article it say that..."

Offline jezek2
« Reply #91 - Posted 2011-04-08 22:26:47 »

"ridiculous" ?!  your incredible... I ve posted sample,  given arguments... You tell about SSE and such but dont show anything, plz dont point to another or someone else article or bench... show your own one it will be easier to talk about. I never argue to always use double and I sometime use float for example  to define object vertice in its local space ( only to save some memory ). really I can change my mind about double and float but it will requiere stronger arguments than "I eard. .." or "look  at this article it say that..."

Heh, I've used the 'ridiculous' word for just one particular thing in that post and doesn't apply to anything other.

My point is not much in convincing you to stop using doubles and replace them with floats, but saw this as a good opportunity to make discussion about this topic. In practice you can use doubles (on x86, but not eg. ARM) for most things without much problem, but what I don't like is this attitude to use one tool (double) for everything without any thinking. There are also cases when even 32bit float is quite overhead, eg. in HDR images/colors where usage of 16bit float (half) is benefical.

About the samples, I did not feel I needed any for my points so far. Also beware that microbenchmarks can be misleading and the danger of them is well known, especially in JVM (where just reordering the tests can yield to very different values and you have to count with the JIT warmup). I base my observations based on whole apps and long-term experience with them. Some other statements are just matter of facts (eg. the 4xfloat vs 2xdouble in SSE2) or twice the memory amount / bandwidth needed.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #92 - Posted 2011-04-08 23:04:09 »

ok, so lets talk on a peacer way

using float vs double wont make a weird algorithm becoming good ? 50% gain in bandwith and/or memory is nice but that's not something that will make a real difference on most project, but inded all type of variable have its own area of usage, that's why they exists.

Also beware that microbenchmarks can be misleading and the danger of them is well known, especially in JVM

yes I know... that's also why that in the bench I ve posted  I favored float by putting double computation first while jvm warmup may not be finished, exaclty to avoid this suspicion of unfair bench and to avoid such discussion ... let me guess the next one  : I ve used currentMillis wich is not enought accurate ?  Tongue (ok ok sorry kidding but that usually the two argument given by some unaware people..)

About the samples, I did not feel I needed any for my points so far. Also beware that microbenchmarks can be misleading and the danger of them is well known, especially in JVM (where just reordering the tests can yield to very different values and you have to count with the JIT warmup). I base my observations based on whole apps and long-term experience with them. Some other statements are just matter of facts (eg. the 4xfloat vs 2xdouble in SSE2) or twice the memory amount / bandwidth needed.
I eard that point, but it is also a matter of fact that byte take less memory than int and that you can do same computation than int using 4 bytes (but slower), but here the major difference is in the case of double vs float (in most desktop) you get more precision without speed cost, I just advice until you need a special requierement ( bandwith ? speed on some hardware probably ? ) use double instead of float and I still think it is a good advice.

I agree with the memory point and ARM (or other hardware) : but double is just the default for java that's why until I get any good reason to use something else I start and continu a project with them, and if later I need more memory or target a different hardware I switch to something else, and I advice OP or anyone to do the same until they got good reason to do it another way, it seems more logical to me than starting with float.

once again just to be sure I well explained myself in pevious post : I never argue to "always" use doulble but rather than I often use them and use them as default (when not really knowing or when I dont care)

ps: arf... unfortunatly debat are always endless

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #93 - Posted 2011-04-09 00:26:04 »

Sorry to butt in but could we please end this here?
We have gotten way off topic and DzzD's and jezek2's arguments are the same: use double for precise and accurate calculations, floats for memory and time saving calculations.

Good? Cool

Offline DzzD
« Reply #94 - Posted 2011-04-09 00:31:19 »

Sorry to butt in but could we please end this here?
We have gotten way off topic and DzzD's and jezek2's arguments are the same: use double for precise and accurate calculations, floats for memory and time saving calculations.

Good? Cool

yes ! that's a noble-minded advice (maybe moderator may split this one somewhere...)

Offline deadly72

« Reply #95 - Posted 2011-04-09 01:36:09 »

hahaha, well I'm glad that's settled!, I fear I may have skipped through some code that would have been needed to figure out why direction isn't being reversed, so I'll post ALL the relevant parts now instead of omitting what I thought would be minor details.

In my World class
if (e.getBounds().intersects(wall)) {
  ((Car)e).scaleVelocity(-1);

which is (not too sure if that is correct)

public void scaleVelocity(int scale) {
   velocity.scale(scale);
        position = Vector2D.add(position, velocity);
}

which leads to 2 methods inside my Vector2D class

public void scale(int scaleFactor) {
   x *= scaleFactor;
   y *= scaleFactor;
}

and

public static Vector2D add(Vector2D v1, Vector2D v2) {
   return new Vector2D(v1.x + v2.x, v1.y + v2.y);
}

I fear that my move method also plays a role into why the direction isn't reversed so here is the essentials.
velocity = new Vector2D(magnitude * Math.cos(direction), magnitude * Math.sin(direction));
position = Vector2D.add(position, velocity);

I'm thinking that because move is called every time update is called the scaled velocity vector gets ditched for the new velocity vector and thus I never see the change in direction occur.  That's the best educated guess I can come up with, and I have no idea how to go about solving it.

A second pair of eyes would really do me some good! Thanks! Smiley
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #96 - Posted 2011-04-09 04:30:01 »

I don't think you should do Vector2D.add(position,velocity) in scaleVelocity(int). That's an extra "move" when your character hits the wall.

Also maybe, just maybe you intersect the wall twice causing the velocity to be scaled by -1 twice so check your code.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #97 - Posted 2011-04-09 08:46:33 »

Yes probably come from the twice reverse, you shoul keep trace of pos before moving and if colision happen restore old pos in addition to scale velocity

OldPos=Pos
Move()
if(colision)
{
Vitesse*=-1
Pos=oldpos
}

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #98 - Posted 2011-04-09 09:34:53 »

I'm thinking that because move is called every time update is called the scaled velocity vector gets ditched for the new velocity vector and thus I never see the change in direction occur.
Yes, that's basically it.

Currently what's happening when the car collides is its velocity is reversed and added to its position, which has the effect of undoing the previous move().  (During move() the velocity is added to the position.  On a collision, the velocity is subtracted from [its negative added to] the position.  So the car is back where it started.)  So the code is (inadvertently?) doing exactly what DzzD suggests -- undoing the step that led to the collision.

But as you say, the reversed velocity vector subsequently gets overwritten by a vector derived from speed and direction.  If you want the collision to permanently reverse the velocity (which may not be quite the effect you're after, but let's worry about that later) then you need to change the direction (as well as the velocity vector).  That is, add Math.PI radians (= 180 degrees) to the car's direction angle when you detect a collision.

Two other comments:
- You might change the name of scaleVelocity() to something like scaleAndAddVelocity() to make it a bit less confusing.
- In the scale() function, scaleFactor should probably be a double rather than an int (although I don't want to trigger another argument about the pros and cons of different data types Roll Eyes ).

Simon

Online Roquen
« Reply #99 - Posted 2011-04-09 13:00:16 »

DzzD's and jezek2's arguments are the same: use double for precise and accurate calculations, floats for memory and time saving calculations.

I agree that this should be been split a long time ago. BUT, this is exactly not what anyone should take away from the floats vs. doubles debate.  This is the common misconception of how floats and doubles work.  What everyone should know is that a lack of knowledge of how floats work will eventually bite you in the butt.  A malformed/numerical unsound solution is defective regardless of representation.  Using doubles instead of floats simply moves the wall back a bit.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #100 - Posted 2011-04-09 13:30:29 »

I agree that this should be been split a long time ago. BUT, this is exactly not what anyone should take away from the floats vs. doubles debate.  This is the common misconception of how floats and doubles work.  What everyone should know is that a lack of knowledge of how floats work will eventually bite you in the butt.  A malformed/numerical unsound solution is defective regardless of representation.  Using doubles instead of floats simply moves the wall back a bit.
I dont argue against the fact that float & double work the same and the fact that care must be taken for both... this is the same between short & int ... in case of floatting value care must be taken on the fact they are not made to work as integer and result should never be considered as exact : like better not doing floatComputation() == floatComutation() or similar thing, care must also be taken on NaN result, all that is true for double aswell as float, this was not what I was pointing

my point was rather : double are more precise and without any reason it is not necessary to use float, same apply with int they are more precise than short and without any good reason use int, also double & int have always been both defaut var type for java... and they both are fast

the argument saying double may hide bugs is ?! dont know.. strange, funny... astonishing... : float can exacly do the same (work 99.9% of time and a days fail), so do you advice to use something with a lower precision than float to be sure to catch all possible bugs ? Smiley

to be back on topic :

Currently what's happening when the car collides is its velocity is reversed and added to its position, which has the effect of undoing the previous move().  (During move() the velocity is added to the position.  On a collision, the velocity is subtracted from [its negative added to] the position.  So the car is back where it started.)  So the code is (inadvertently?) doing exactly what DzzD suggests -- undoing the step that led to the collision.
hum not really the same, keeping trace of last pos is different, that's another funny thing with floatting values (meaning float & double...) as they use dynamic "range of data" => this can be true : a+v-v != a

for example if you add big value with small one :

x=0.01
x+v=1000000.0
x+v-v=0.0

float x=0.01f;
    float vx=1000000f;
    System.out.println ("x=" + x);
    x+=vx;
    System.out.println ("x+v=" + x);
    x-=vx;
    System.out.println ("x+v-v=" + x);

@OP, with float always replace addition by multiplication when possible/applyable :

for example to compute object location with floatting var :
posX=posX0+vx*nbStep
give smarter result than :
posX+=vx

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #101 - Posted 2011-04-09 15:11:51 »

So the code is (inadvertently?) doing exactly what DzzD suggests -- undoing the step that led to the collision.
hum not really the same, keeping trace of last pos is different [...]

Good point. Smiley
Replace "exactly" with "sort of like (but not as robust as)" in my original comment.
Simon

Offline deadly72

« Reply #102 - Posted 2011-08-06 02:42:36 »

Hi guys!, Finally back after a short leave from work Tongue.
I've been working on the game for a while now - actually just adding features, re-coding classes, using more efficient manners of doing things, and well I decided to get rid of my currentSpeed variable inside the car class.  That means I'm left with a constant acceleration variable ACCELERATION, a vector acceleration, vector position, vector direction and vector velocity. 
Basically to get the speed now, we would use velocity.magnitude() now.  The problem I'm having with this is in fact what pjt33 posted about acceleration being not a number when it's length is set to the constant acceleration * deltaTime from the initial velocity vector (0,0).  Getting the magnitude from that vector and using the length to divide it is what gives me NaN, so I decided to just return a vector(length,length) and that just isn't the correct way to be doing it.

Btw, sorry if this is considered grave digging, but I figured it still relates to a related problem I'm having.
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

Medals: 32

« Reply #103 - Posted 2011-08-06 18:42:41 »

You're using too many variables to store acceleration and velocity.

You need:
1. a vector position (that is treated as a point)
2. a vector velocity (this is the direction of travel, and the speed, you get the speed by taking the length of the vector).
3. a vector acceleration (this is the direction of acceleration and the magnitude of acceleration, which you get from the length of the vector).

You do not need a separate constant variable ACCELERATION or a vector direction (assuming you're keeping the vector velocity).

To figure out how to update something every frame, we can look at the physics equations:
v = a * t;
d = v * t;

These basically say that the change in velocity (v) over a period of time (t) is equal to the acceleration (a) multiplied with the time delta (t).

Similarly, the change in position (d) over a period of time (t) is equal to the velocity (v) multiplied with the time delta (t).

So if you're using vectors, it would look something like:
Vector3 deltaV = acceleration.scale(dt); // calculate change in velocity based on delta time and current acceleration
Vector3 totalV = velocity.add(deltaV); // update velocity based on computed change for frame
Vector3 deltaP = totalV.scale(dt); // calculate change in location based on updated velocity and delta time
Vector3 finalP = position.add(deltaP); // location at end of frame.

This is euler integration if you've ever seen that term used in your readings.

Online Roquen
« Reply #104 - Posted 2011-08-06 19:04:10 »

To muddy the waters a bit, it's a good habit to run simulations at a fixed time rate.  Although not important for very simple situations, it'll make make your life a lot easier when things get a little more involved.
Offline deadly72

« Reply #105 - Posted 2011-08-07 05:30:38 »

You're using too many variables to store acceleration and velocity.

You need:
1. a vector position (that is treated as a point)
2. a vector velocity (this is the direction of travel, and the speed, you get the speed by taking the length of the vector).
3. a vector acceleration (this is the direction of acceleration and the magnitude of acceleration, which you get from the length of the vector).

You do not need a separate constant variable ACCELERATION or a vector direction (assuming you're keeping the vector velocity).

To figure out how to update something every frame, we can look at the physics equations:
v = a * t;
d = v * t;

These basically say that the change in velocity (v) over a period of time (t) is equal to the acceleration (a) multiplied with the time delta (t).

Similarly, the change in position (d) over a period of time (t) is equal to the velocity (v) multiplied with the time delta (t).

So if you're using vectors, it would look something like:
Vector3 deltaV = acceleration.scale(dt); // calculate change in velocity based on delta time and current acceleration
Vector3 totalV = velocity.add(deltaV); // update velocity based on computed change for frame
Vector3 deltaP = totalV.scale(dt); // calculate change in location based on updated velocity and delta time
Vector3 finalP = position.add(deltaP); // location at end of frame.

This is euler integration if you've ever seen that term used in your readings.

Ahh right right, I thought I needed the constant acceleration variable to use it for the acceleration vector, since its initially started out as a zero vector.
I'm guessing we can just set the acceleration vector to some constant digit? - But then that would mean its direction would be wrong?..  In addition I believe that the code you are giving me relates to objects which have a linear velocity.  IE A bullet, the player has no control over its acceleration.  In my case I do need to change the acceleration depending on if (up/down) and the direction on (right/left).

To muddy the waters a bit, it's a good habit to run simulations at a fixed time rate.  Although not important for very simple situations, it'll make make your life a lot easier when things get a little more involved.

Mind giving me an example of what I'm up against seeing as deltaTime is not *ALWAYS* constant (The majority of the time it is, but some discrepancy is probable).
Online Roquen
« Reply #106 - Posted 2011-08-07 16:18:03 »

This is one of those "don't worry about it now, but keep it in the back of your mind" kind-a things.  Simulation results will almost alway vary depending on the times of each step used (unless you way overcomplicate the computations..and then they still vary...so you start to pull out your hair)
Offline deadly72

« Reply #107 - Posted 2011-08-08 05:26:39 »

This is one of those "don't worry about it now, but keep it in the back of your mind" kind-a things.  Simulation results will almost alway vary depending on the times of each step used (unless you way overcomplicate the computations..and then they still vary...so you start to pull out your hair)

I don't believe I'm ready just yet to turn to a fixed time step system, I'd rather understand how to fix what's wrong now and later on if need be do conversions Tongue

Anyway following lhkbob's logic I've come up with the assumption that a new acceleration vector must be created when interacting with player input - thus giving me the following.

double deltaSeconds = deltaTime / 1000.0;// seconds since last update
double speed = velocity.magnitude();
double direction = Math.toRadians(carAngle - 90);

if (up)
   acceleration = new Vector2D(75 * Math.cos(direction),75 * Math.sin(direction));
if (down)
   acceleration = new Vector2D(-75 * Math.cos(direction),-75 * Math.sin(direction));
if (right)
   carAngle += rotationSpeed * deltaSeconds * (speed/topspeed);
if (left)
   carAngle -= rotationSpeed * deltaSeconds * (speed/topspeed);

acceleration = acceleration.scale(deltaSeconds);
velocity = velocity.add(deltaV);
velocity = velocity.scale(deltaSeconds);
position = position.add(deltaP);

I believe that constant 75 would be used to describe the acceleration magnitude - but simulation wise is not the proper way of doing it.  The car can accelerate and decelerate, thus meaning I need to figure out a way to increase/decrease acceleration respectively without creating a new vector each time the function is called.  Would I need to add a step variable and increase/decrease it like I am doing it for the carAngle to determine the heading?

Another note on the same topic, how would i set the direction of the acceleration vector if I am simply scaling or setting the magnitude of the acceleration variable without creating that vector using a direction?
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

« Reply #108 - Posted 2011-08-08 15:17:18 »

I believe you're on the right track.  The acceleration vector doesn't need to be constant.  You were worried about what happens when it's not accelerating, then just have it set to (0, 0) (so it's length is 0 = no acceleration).  I guess you would want to have some constant that describes the MAX_ACCELERATION_LENGTH (if the acceleration's length is larger than this, clamp it to that length, which would involve scaling the vector by MAX_ACCEL / length).  You don't need a float variable storing current acceleration, that's what the vector is for.

In your code, it looks like you've assigned your computed variables incorrectly. Instead of:

you should have
deltaV = acceleration.scale(deltaSeconds);
deltaP = velocity.scale(deltaSeconds);

Regarding your last question, if you want to set the magnitude of the acceleration vector without changing its direction, you divide the acceleration vector by its current length (so the new vector has a length equal to 1), then you scale it by your new acceleration magnitude. 

The resulting vector has the same direction as the old acceleration, but with the new magnitude.  This does not work when the acceleration vector is (0, 0).  At that point, you'd have to choose a direction as well.

Offline deadly72

« Reply #109 - Posted 2011-08-09 02:35:21 »

I believe you're on the right track.  The acceleration vector doesn't need to be constant.  You were worried about what happens when it's not accelerating, then just have it set to (0, 0) (so it's length is 0 = no acceleration).  I guess you would want to have some constant that describes the MAX_ACCELERATION_LENGTH (if the acceleration's length is larger than this, clamp it to that length, which would involve scaling the vector by MAX_ACCEL / length).  You don't need a float variable storing current acceleration, that's what the vector is for.

In your code, it looks like you've assigned your computed variables incorrectly. Instead of:

you should have
deltaV = acceleration.scale(deltaSeconds);
deltaP = velocity.scale(deltaSeconds);

Regarding your last question, if you want to set the magnitude of the acceleration vector without changing its direction, you divide the acceleration vector by its current length (so the new vector has a length equal to 1), then you scale it by your new acceleration magnitude. 

The resulting vector has the same direction as the old acceleration, but with the new magnitude.  This does not work when the acceleration vector is (0, 0).  At that point, you'd have to choose a direction as well.

Ahhh right right, the first part was my mistake Tongue, I actually had:

velocity = velocity.add(acceleration);
position = position.add(velocity);

The problem is actually increasing / decreasing the acceleration.  Do I need a stepping varriable? IE. if (up) speed+= 5, and then in acceleration = new vector(speed* direction)?  In addition the acceleration vector is set at zero in the beginning; How would I go about to setting up its direction if acceleration doesn't exist?  It only goes at non zero while inside the move() function which is called by the update loop.

This comes back to my original question which is do I need to create a new acceleration vector each loop - considering the player input?

I think my problem lies with me still thinking in 1D instead of 2D... I just don't understand how you can increase/decrease acceleration without a constant. Sad
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

« Reply #110 - Posted 2011-08-09 04:15:40 »

You can think of acceleration existing only so long as the object/player needs to change velocity.  So if the player isn't touching any keys, his acceleration is 0.  If he hits the jump key, you might have 1 frame with an acceleration pointing up with a large enough magnitude that he's still flying up for a few frames before gravity pulls him down.  If he hits the forward key, set the acceleration to a constant magnitude in the direction he's heading or turning until he's accelerated to the desired velocity then set the acceleration to (0, 0).  If he lets go of the key, the acceleration changes to (0, 0), if he hits the key for the opposite direction, the acceleration changes to the negative of the acceleration so he starts slowing down (and eventually reaches 0 velocity at which point you set acceleration to 0, or keep going to have him going in reverse).

Offline deadly72

« Reply #111 - Posted 2011-08-09 04:49:35 »

I believe in my case having acceleration set to 0 while no keys are being touched is incorrect. -- unless we apply friction to velocity and not acceleration (something i should just check actually*), but I fail to see the relation between this and a constant possibly*? being needed to calculate acceleration based on player input.  
Furthermore if the requirement to calculate acceleration does lead to having a new vector created each time the move function loops, - we DO need a step variable to increment acceleration since a car doesn't have constant acceleration - based on player input - if this efficient?
Instead would it be possible of coming up with a way to deal with acceleration just based on vector functions?
Offline deadly72

« Reply #112 - Posted 2011-08-28 03:17:56 »

Seems you were right in saying that I don't need a stepping variable to increment acceleration - seeing as its constant* (It's the velocity that increases when we add acceleration! Cheesy)

I actually have a problem with the rotation now that acceleration is fixed... Sad dammit is it possible to get this over with! sheesh! Tongue
So I know what the problem is but I actually have no idea how to fix it...

double direction = Math.toRadians(carAngle - 90);
double magnitude = 0;

if (up)
   magnitude = 100.0;
if (down)
   magnitude = -100.0;
if (right)
   carAngle += rotationSpeed * (speed/topspeed);
if (left)
   carAngle -= rotationSpeed * (speed/topspeed);

acceleration = new Vector2D(magnitude * Math.cos(direction), magnitude * Math.sin(direction));

The problem is the acceleration vector.  When I just turn the car, magnitude = 0 and 0*direction gives me 0 thus not updating the direction...
I thought I could fix it with a simple if (speed > 0) acceleration = new Vector2D(speed * Math.cos(direction), speed * Math.sin(direction)) but that doesn't work and is obviously illogical.. seeing as we would keep adding the acceleration to velocity till velocity would hit MAX_VEL_LEN.  Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

By the way I hate double posting Sad but I really didn't want to make another topic on this subject regarding the same type of query this is, as I like related information to be kept concise and organised, and it has been a while..
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

« Reply #113 - Posted 2011-08-28 23:18:33 »

Split it up into two accelerations, one for rotating and one for translation.  In this limited situation, you can specify each acceleration as a double. This is because you should define the translation acceleration to always be in the direction is facing, and the rotational acceleration about the center of the car. 

It is not a perfect model, but it should work.  First you use the above equations to figure out the amount of rotational velocity in an interval, and use that to update your carAngle variable.  Then with the carAngle variable, you know the direction you're going so you can compute the translation acceleration and update the velocity and position of the car.

Alternatively, look into a physics engine like JBox2D that can handle all of this for you.  The model I described above isn't perfect and won't account for drift or anything like that and a physics engine will make sure all of the equations are correct.  Now that you know more about vectors you should be able to understand the concepts of the engine reasonably well.

Offline deadly72

« Reply #114 - Posted 2011-08-31 02:40:27 »

The thing is, I don't understand how the rotation occurs if we have a magnitude of 0.  Acceleration cannot be 0 when changing direction or can it? So how do you handle this using a single acceleration vector? accompanied by a velocity vector and a position vector of course.

Not that I don't want to use 2 accelerations, but tbh that would confuse me! since I wouldn't understand how to unite them for the final acceleration!  Also as far as using an engine I'd rather have a shot at my own, that way once it's all worked out I'll be able to say I've created one and can move on to a more sophisticated one if I wish to do so Tongue

I'm so close... yet sometimes it seems so far... I think once we've solved this rotation issue, motion won't be a problem anymore anywhere within this game Cheesy
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

« Reply #115 - Posted 2011-08-31 04:24:33 »

If you want to handle rotation, you need two acceleration vectors.  One vector is the acceleration we've talked about before, which applies to translational velocity and affects the position of your vehicle.

The second vector is a rotational acceleration.  It applies to how fast your rotational velocity is increasing.  The rotational velocity changes the direction your car is attempting to travel.  By splitting things into two vectors you can have things like drift where the car turns one direction and continues to slide the way it was originally going.

The direction of the acceleration vector is generally perpendicular to the direction you're heading, which is why I simplified it in my last post.

Offline deadly72

« Reply #116 - Posted 2011-09-01 04:22:13 »

If you want to handle rotation, you need two acceleration vectors.  One vector is the acceleration we've talked about before, which applies to translational velocity and affects the position of your vehicle.

The second vector is a rotational acceleration.  It applies to how fast your rotational velocity is increasing.  The rotational velocity changes the direction your car is attempting to travel.  By splitting things into two vectors you can have things like drift where the car turns one direction and continues to slide the way it was originally going.

The direction of the acceleration vector is generally perpendicular to the direction you're heading, which is why I simplified it in my last post.

So let me clear something up then, this means we are creating a new velocity vector each update instead of simply adding the acceleration? I thought velocity just the added acceleration * dt each update? but essentially what I'm getting out of what you are telling me is velocity = new Vector2D(magvector, dirvector), which quite honestly I don't understand..

Right now the procedure is simple, as in my initial velocity vector is 0,0 and all I do is increase it by adding a new acceleration vector each update (which is scaled by time), leading to adding this to velocity vector to my position.  Essentially I'm saying v = a * dt and p = v * dt.  You are suggesting to switch this how exactly?

I don't understand how you would manage to change/update the velocity without a single acceleration variable - that is the magnitude and the direction.

This is the current situation
double secondsElapsed = (deltaTime / 1000.0);// seconds since last update
double magnitude = 0;

if (up)
   magnitude = 100.0;
if (down)
   magnitude = -100.0;
if (right)
   direction += rotationSpeed * (speed/topspeed);
if (left)
   direction -= rotationSpeed * (speed/topspeed);

double dir = Math.toRadians(direction - 90);
acceleration = new Vector2D(magnitude * Math.cos(dir), magnitude * Math.sin(dir));

Vector2D scaledA = acceleration.scale(secondsElapsed);
velocity = velocity.add(scaledA);

/**
//////////////////////// CALCULATE FRICTION //////////////////////////
Vector2D friction = velocity.scale(-0.3 * speed * secondsElapsed);
velocity = velocity.add(friction);      
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
**/

if (speed < 1.5 && speed != 0)
   velocity.setLength(0);

Vector2D scaledV = velocity.scale(secondsElapsed);
position = position.add(scaledV);
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

« Reply #117 - Posted 2011-09-01 04:56:32 »

There are two directions you need to think about, the direction something is rotating and the direction something is sliding.  The rotation and position of an object describe it.  The rotation can be represented as an angle or as a direction vector that signals which way is front.

In physics there are three principal concepts: acceleration, speed, and distance.  Acceleration * dt will give you the change in speed, speed * dt will give you the change in distance.  Velocity is speed in a multidimensional case.

The rotation of the object gets an acceleration, speed, and distance (amount of rotation) and the position of an object gets an acceleration, speed, and distance.  These are all 2D vectors.  The rotational acceleration, rotational velocity, and rotation are independent of normal acceleration, velocity and position except for a case I'll describe below.

You're trying to simulate a vehicle.  How you apply the physics to a vehicle can significantly impact how it "handles".  In my vehicle model, the engine accelerates the vehicle forward in the direction its facing.  This implies that you need to compute the rotation first, and then use the rotation to compute the positional acceleration since each frame it accelerates in the direction its facing.

You current situation that you've written up looks okay to me.  You have implemented all of the concepts I've described.  One thing to note is that you've collapsed the rotation equations down to a single dimension.  This is 100% valid in your situation since you're turning about an objects center.  Additionally, you've removed rotational acceleration so that turning is on or off (and when on will not speed up or slow down).  This is also valid.

Offline deadly72

« Reply #118 - Posted 2011-09-02 02:24:43 »

There are two directions you need to think about, the direction something is rotating and the direction something is sliding.  The rotation and position of an object describe it.  The rotation can be represented as an angle or as a direction vector that signals which way is front.

Basically, you are telling me here that rotation can be represented as a single double variable or a vector which has a magnitude of 1.  I'm using a single double variable as pointed out earlier.

In physics there are three principal concepts: acceleration, speed, and distance.  Acceleration * dt will give you the change in speed, speed * dt will give you the change in distance.  Velocity is speed in a multidimensional case.

The rotation of the object gets an acceleration, speed, and distance (amount of rotation) and the position of an object gets an acceleration, speed, and distance.  These are all 2D vectors.  The rotational acceleration, rotational velocity, and rotation are independent of normal acceleration, velocity and position except for a case I'll describe below.

This is a part I don't understand.  How is rotational acceleration, rotational velocity and rotation independent of acceleration?  Acceleration has the direction of that rotation, does it not?

You're trying to simulate a vehicle.  How you apply the physics to a vehicle can significantly impact how it "handles".  In my vehicle model, the engine accelerates the vehicle forward in the direction its facing.  This implies that you need to compute the rotation first, and then use the rotation to compute the positional acceleration since each frame it accelerates in the direction its facing.

You current situation that you've written up looks okay to me.  You have implemented all of the concepts I've described.  One thing to note is that you've collapsed the rotation equations down to a single dimension.  This is 100% valid in your situation since you're turning about an objects center.  Additionally, you've removed rotational acceleration so that turning is on or off (and when on will not speed up or slow down).  This is also valid.

You are telling me that my current situation is valid here, yet my rotation has the problem of not being updated because my acceleration magnitude can be 0 when a user doesn't press up or down, which I have no idea how that can actually be correct.  The rotation is not changing when the user is only pressing left or right arrow keys since my magnitude is 0 * Math.sin/cos(dir) == 0.

How exactly do you represent the direction of acceleration if as you say, the rotation component of it all is separate from the acceleration?  Additionally how do these two separate components interact with velocity and position?  Like I mentioned isn't velocity dependent on acceleration * dt? (Note: acceleration is a vector...)

Maybe some pseudo code would be of use here... I find it strange that acceleration and rotation are two different components when used in physics -- since acceleration has a direction! lol (I know there is a lot of repetition here, but I just want to explain myself clearly)

Oh and I want to thank you for sticking with me this long, I'm sure it's a pain, but I feel we are very close to the final result! Cheesy
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

« Reply #119 - Posted 2011-09-15 03:17:49 »

Sorry for late response.  Acceleration does have a direction, it is the direction that the object slides or translates.  Rotational acceleration is the acceleration of the change in degree of rotation.

I think the issue that is confusing you is that the angle a car is rotated, or its direction, affects the direction that its motor accelerates the vehicle.  When you press left/right keys you want to change the rotational acceleration and when you press up/down you want to change the translational acceleration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (23 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (34 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (28 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (18 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (27 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (65 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (41 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org