Doodle Jump for PC  (Read 63545 times)
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 350
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Posted 2011-02-07 02:00:40 »

I just made an online version of Doodle Jump for fun!
Named it JDoodle Jump to avoid getting pestered by Lima Sky Grin

http://www.ra4king.com/games/JDoodleJump

For those that don't know what Doodle Jump is, it is the most popular app on the iPhone/iTouch.

Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-02-07 09:33:08 »

Funny and I got 18000p. Smiley

I would suggest that when you have made a long jump, your energy decreases the first few jumps from the new hight. This would make the game less random. As it is now, it is very easy to climp without control until you hit an enemy.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-02-07 12:27:56 »

I would suggest that when you have made a long jump, your energy decreases the first few jumps from the new hight. This would make the game less random. As it is now, it is very easy to climp without control until you hit an enemy.

What do you mean?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-02-07 12:41:53 »

Hi!

The mouse works but not the keyboard. I use Java 1.6 on Cent OS Linux 5.3. Other Java games work fine here.

Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 86
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-02-07 13:37:51 »

Yay, 56609 Smiley

Found some bugs though I think:
I died once due to jumping on a platform the was visible but fell through it (there was just like one pixel of "paper" though under it, but the platform itself was totally visible)
Sometimes when you shoot enemies they don't die, does some of them have several lifes or something? Maybe that should be visible on them (use one type of enemies for 2 hitpoints and one for 3 for example)
I died on my highscore run by falling through a white platform after having used a helicopter helmet. It wasn't like the platform was far down even, it was almost halfway up the screen but I fell straight through it on my way down after the helicopter ride.

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26

One for all!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-02-07 14:13:46 »

Just shortly, is there a smart way to make the guy move less while topping in a jump, and more when he's on his way down (the grativy effect)?
Nice game, though the steering is too easy compared to the iPhone/Android.  Cheesy

Offline markus.borbely

Junior Duke

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-02-07 16:53:58 »

What do you mean?

Say that the little fellow jumps 300 pixels high normally.
I think that this height should be lower when he manages to jump onto a new level higher up. So he looses energy.
If he jumps to a new level 150 px up he should loose half his energy (or something). So the next jump will only be 150 px. For each jump the jump height increases with 50 px (or maybe more). So, soon after climbing, he will be back to 300 pixels high jumps, but not directly.
If he jumps to a new level 300 px up the first few jumps after that will be pretty low.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-02-07 21:20:54 »

It doesn't work neither on Firefox 3.6.13, Mandriva Linux 2010, Java 1.6 update 22 Sad

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-02-07 21:48:04 »

The mouse works but not the keyboard. I use Java 1.6 on Cent OS Linux 5.3. Other Java games work fine here.

Try clicking on the game to be able to use controls.

I died once due to jumping on a platform the was visible but fell through it (there was just like one pixel of "paper" though under it, but the platform itself was totally visible)
I died on my highscore run by falling through a white platform after having used a helicopter helmet. It wasn't like the platform was far down even, it was almost halfway up the screen but I fell straight through it on my way down after the helicopter ride.

I am looking into that. What I think is going on is that the Doodle is falling so fast that he misses the intersection with the bar. I only use the lower 5 pixels of the Doodle's body as the height when intersecting both Rectangles.

Sometimes when you shoot enemies they don't die, does some of them have several lifes or something? Maybe that should be visible on them (use one type of enemies for 2 hitpoints and one for 3 for example)

Thank you for pointing that out!! Yes, as you get higher up, it takes 2 or 3 shots to kill a monster. I had intended to add some kind of signal when it does that but I forgot Tongue
However, now I can see the confusion some people might have. They won't know whether to shoot once or twice to kill them. Undecided
I will do as you say: each type will have its own number of hits.

Say that the little fellow jumps 300 pixels high normally.
I think that this height should be lower when he manages to jump onto a new level higher up. So he looses energy.
If he jumps to a new level 150 px up he should loose half his energy (or something). So the next jump will only be 150 px. For each jump the jump height increases with 50 px (or maybe more). So, soon after climbing, he will be back to 300 pixels high jumps, but not directly.
If he jumps to a new level 300 px up the first few jumps after that will be pretty low.

I am still confused on what you mean. Tongue

Offline gouessej
« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-02-08 14:24:27 »

I have already did this, it does not work. I'm accustomed to use applets. There is something wrong in your game.

I have just tried again, the result is the same. When I click, only the mouse works. Please can you remove the survey? It is annoying, it appears each time.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Captain Awesome

Junior Duke

Medals: 2

Hi

« Reply #10 - Posted 2011-02-08 16:11:15 »

Unable to start the game since a lot of pop-ups started appearing
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2011-02-08 21:59:28 »

I have already did this, it does not work. I'm accustomed to use applets. There is something wrong in your game.

I have just tried again, the result is the same. When I click, only the mouse works. Please can you remove the survey? It is annoying, it appears each time.

Apparently it seems to work fine for the thousands others who visit my website daily Cheesy

Unable to start the game since a lot of pop-ups started appearing

I know! When I signed up for this advertising service, I immediately disliked the popups. Yet everywhere I looked I did not know how to disable them. I don't want to completely remove ads since they are my only source of income Cry

Offline Apo
« Reply #12 - Posted 2011-02-09 09:17:35 »

same problem as gouessej (win 7, Java 7)
Offline gouessej
« Reply #13 - Posted 2011-02-09 10:40:27 »

I know! When I signed up for this advertising service, I immediately disliked the popups. Yet everywhere I looked I did not know how to disable them. I don't want to completely remove ads since they are my only source of income Cry
Maybe put your game onto Sourceforge or Tuxfamily if you have any plan of opensourcing it. Do you really need a source of income? Does your game cost you anything? Ok I'm strange, I don't try to monetize my projects.

Can you remove your own popup asking something about themes please?

Offline Tobias

Junior Duke

Projects: 1

« Reply #14 - Posted 2011-02-09 14:45:28 »

Seriously... JCopyright Jinfringement

Mad Skills Motocross
Turborilla - independent game developer
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2011-02-09 15:37:30 »

The other students at my school loves this! Oh, and the load time from 98 - 100 takes VERY long, and each time I start a new game I have to wait 30 seconds, before it starts, from I click.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2011-02-09 19:49:06 »

same problem as gouessej (win 7, Java 7)
I'm sorry! I don't know why it doesn't work for some people Sad

Maybe put your game onto Sourceforge or Tuxfamily if you have any plan of opensourcing it. Do you really need a source of income? Does your game cost you anything? Ok I'm strange, I don't try to monetize my projects.

Can you remove your own popup asking something about themes please?
1. Well I am 15 and my parents never give me money. Sad However, I don't want to charge people money so I decided to do the next best thing, ads Smiley
2. I do plan on giving away the source code when the number of views starts to decline.
3. I was planning to take it off when I hit 2000 submitions, which I hit a long time ago, but I am currently away from my computer so I can't update it Sad

Seriously... JCopyright Jinfringement
Hahaha yep. I don't feel like getting sued here. I also gave Lima Sky credit for all graphics and ideas on the bottom of the page.

The other students at my school loves this! Oh, and the load time from 98 - 100 takes VERY long, and each time I start a new game I have to wait 30 seconds, before it starts, from I click.
Thank you for spreading the word Smiley
I am investigating why there is a delay there. It seems that it takes a while to set up the Doodler on the main screen.
EDIT: Problem has been found and fixed. The cause of the freeze was that it redownloaded all the resources after it was supposedly done.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #17 - Posted 2011-02-11 12:59:13 »

The problem with the popup is that it is displayed even though I had already answered, it is annoying.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2011-02-11 22:10:07 »

The problem with the popup is that it is displayed even though I had already answered, it is annoying.
I took it down with the most replies being Yes (by a tiny margin). So I am now working on themes Smiley

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2011-02-12 15:45:00 »

The new version runs smoother.. Can I ask why there is random people in there as both enemies, and doodles? They don't really fit in.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2011-02-12 18:11:12 »

The new version runs smoother.. Can I ask why there is random people in there as both enemies, and doodles? They don't really fit in.
I increased the FPS from 40 to 60, if I make it any more it will start to get choppy Smiley
And those are my friends who asked me to put their faces in there Tongue

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 4

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #21 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:01:50 »

have you thought about putting this game on Facebook? Im sure it would get a few users playing it. At least all the doodle jump fans "like"ing it.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:06:12 »

You can't embed a Java app in Facebook (at least, not last time I tried).
I already have a fan page for my website in general and I have about 600 likes Tongue
I do however get about 2000+ views a day so I'm wondering why I don't have more likes when I have a big Facebook box next to the game. Huh

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #23 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:14:11 »

You can't embed a Java app in Facebook (at least, not last time I tried).
yeah you can, here is mine. You want me to setup and app page for it, then link to your fan page and url?

My Projects

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:22:08 »

Whoa! I've been trying to use the applet in tag in FBML (i have no html experience except for my measly website).
Could you give me the FBML so I could put the game in a tab on my fan page?

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #25 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:26:35 »

I also dont know much about webpage dev.

If you want I can strip back my facebook stuff so that it is just a template and send it to you. I dont know what you mean by FBML (thats how little I know about webdev).

All I know is that I get the app to open a php file inside a frame, and the php file contains that applet tag.

My Projects

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:30:07 »

FBML is Facebook's own markup language (much like HTML) but stripped down.
And yes please! you could just past it in a reply and I'll change whatever is needed Smiley

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #27 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:34:31 »

cool. I have to leave to work soon, but ill download all the files from my webserver and strip it back tomorrow. Ill probably upload it all into its own thread for anyone else interesting in uploading a game to facebook, along with the instructions for setting it up.

My Projects

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:43:11 »

Work?!? Where do you live?

And don't forget to link to the new thread Smiley

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #29 - Posted 2011-02-13 09:45:57 »

Work?!? Where do you live?
Australia, I work the graveyard shift.
And don't forget to link to the new thread Smiley
will do.

My Projects

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (50 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (39 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (31 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (35 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (65 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (55 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (72 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (43 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org