Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Hexara -- work in progress  (Read 10572 times)
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 4

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #30 - Posted 2011-12-11 09:56:04 »

Side issue, I'm hoping (perhaps in vain) that I can use some of this sound programming expertise in android. But I haven't really looked closely enough at Android yet. Most of the books and tutorials I've come across just cover some simple ways to do sound, nothing low level.
If you ever want quick android assistance, like copy and paste code snippets and such. Feel free to add me to MSN (msn contact link is under my image on the forum post).

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline nsigma
« Reply #31 - Posted 2011-12-11 12:27:01 »

Anyway, I've got the "windchime" chime patch pretty well nailed this week, and aspects of the drone working as well. The bigger gongs are yet to do. The drone will need a flanger, but I think that will be doable. I'm told flangers are not much more complicated than an echo with a very short delay time (that varies), and I managed an echo on the Theremin project.

If you can use GPL with CPE code, there's a chorus in Gervill you could extract (it has a flanger mode - a flanger basically being a chorus with attitude and tattoos   Wink ).  I'm just in the process of forking this out myself for JAudioLibs - basically need to change the parameter calculations to be something sensible as opposed to MIDI values.

If that license is no good for you (or you just want the fun of coding it yourself), then it's basically a delay where the delay time is controlled by an LFO.  You'll need a delay where the delay time changes on a per sample basis - once per processing block would probably sound odd.  They're also usually done with a delay on either stereo channel with the LFO's out of phase with each other to give that "thicker" sound.

Sorry if that's going over what you'd already been told.

Best wishes, Neil

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Offline philfrei
« Reply #32 - Posted 2011-12-11 21:39:01 »

@bobjob -- Again, thanks! I probably will, sooner rather than later.
@nsimga -- Also, thanks! I think the flanger is going to be fun.

You've inspired me to start a thread on public software licenses. "Yet Another..." discussion on this contentious issue.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline philfrei
« Reply #33 - Posted 2013-07-27 05:37:26 »

Request: Move to "in progress" area. [NOTE: link to project is on the start of the thread.]

I've restarted work on this project after a long break. Unfortunately, I think I'm overtaxing the cpu with the result being that the sound occasionally breaks up, sometimes stuttering rather badly for an extended period. I have a pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, 3GB of RAM. This was purchased almost 10 years ago, so maybe most other folks won't have the problems I'm having? The game usually is consuming from 60%-80% of my home computer cpu.

I have questions about possible strategies for optimization:

How much of a pickup might there be, going from passive (currently) to active rendering, using Java2D? Should I instead go straight to Libgdx or Lwjgl?

I'm wondering if maybe the Java2D can still be made to work and leave enough cpu for smooth audio. There are a few things that I'm doing that may be needlessly adding stress:

(1) separate drawImage() methods for the stars, there are 600--though StumpyStrust tutorial (http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/java2d-clearing-up-the-air/27506/msg/246444/view.html#msg246444) suggests that this shouldn't be too much of a problem until you get to 4k image particle systems and the like. (Could just print as a single graphic, but I don't want to lose the twinkling animation if I can avoid it.)

(2) redrawing the "scrolls" every frame with their vibrating Simplex textures.

(3) There is a fair bit of drawing over existing drawings--hitting some pixels two or three times when only the last will show.

Thoughts? Encouragements? Thanks!

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 133
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #34 - Posted 2013-07-27 05:53:59 »

Moved to WIP Smiley
Offline philfrei
« Reply #35 - Posted 2013-09-28 00:17:23 »

Progress report: The applet loads quickly. (To load, see first post on this thread.) ALL the sounds are now procedurally generated instead of being loaded from .wav files. The file size went from about 18MB to under 400KB. Smiley But it takes about 5-10 seconds to get going while the audio clips are built. It's close to time to figure out how to code a proper splash screen.

I am having a problem with some occasional garbage appearing on the "scroll panels". They are animated via a Perlin algorithm, but for some reason the smooth "energy patterns" get messed up. Maybe it has to do with the refresh rate? My game loop is set to run relatively slowly, as the animation needs are low.

I have some code in place monitoring the game loop time, how much is consumed, how much is slept. As far as I can tell, I never overrun the amount of available time for a game loop--there is always some sleep occurring every iteration.

My next task is to switch over to active rendering. Maybe that will eliminate this graphics problem.

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (38 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (29 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (18 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (42 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (24 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (61 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (36 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (49 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (53 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org