Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (600)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Asking about newbie books - again  (Read 1905 times)
Offline Mattedatten

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2011-01-06 18:00:08 »

Hey all (Read bolded questions at bottom if you dont want to read the story)
For about a half year ago, or more, I started a thread here asking for which book to choose for the project* I'm about to work on - a introduction into java gaming (learning how to create basic games in java)

*A subject in school called "project", we choose something to work about, for a little over a half year, and then write reports etc.

Anyway, back then when starting I wanted some help, because I was completely new into this (well, almost), as of which book to choose. So I did a lot of research about the books, reviews and then compared them to the age of the book.
The found books were (Ordered by how much I wanted them)
Killer Game Programming in Java - Andrew Davison
Introduction to Java Programming with Games - Ladd, B C
Pro Java 6 3D Game Development - Andrew Davison
Developing Games in Java - David Brackeen

Black Art of Java Game Programming - Joel Fan
Practical Java Game Programming - Dustin Clingman
Advanced Java Game Programming - David Wallace Croft
Beginning Java Game Programming Second Edition - Jonathan S.

I didn't expect my local libary beeing able to help me, but they were, and they got me two books, Developing Games in Java and Introduction to Java Programming with Games.

I tried on the Introduction to Java Programming-book first, because it was the newest one. But, after some looking in the book, I gave it up, it used a already coded libary, FANG.

But instead of going on to the book, i followed thenewboston's Java tutorials, Java intermediate tutorials and gaming tutorials on youtube (Recommended!)
That's about 150 videos (4-10 min long), it took a while as I was experimenting with the codes to learn what I've just seen.

What I didn't expect was that he hadn't finished the game tutorials, and stopped right in the middle, without any plan to continue.
So now I'm stuck.

I started reading Developing games in Java, but after reading the first chapter twice, I think I would prefer a book that insted of giving a code with comments, would explain why this and that.

So, I'm asking here again:

Do anyone here have any experince of the books listed above, and what pros and cons would you like to mention?  Wink
I'm looking especially into the two books by Andrew Davidson, as both have got good reviews. Any comments on those books? Smiley

Thanks and thanks for reading my story (if you did, no offence if you didn't, not sure that I would Wink )
//M
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-01-06 18:03:30 »

I've not used any of them,b ut I heard great things about killer game programming in Java
Offline philfrei
« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-01-08 00:57:31 »

You might have to just plan to spend some more time studying Java itself. I like the "Core Java" series by Horstmann. Then, reading code examples should be more informative.

IMHO, there is hardly ever a single, best book. Every writer has their own approach and background. So, plan on reading multiple books and multiple tutorials.

There are also some great books on game programming that are not tied to a particular language. I like "Introduction to Game Development, 2nd Ed." by Rabin. I've been reading it on Safari Books Online.

"It's after the end of the world! Don't you know that yet?"
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-01-12 20:34:07 »

I own a "Killer Game programming in Java", which I enjoy a lot!  Cheesy It has a lot of source code included, and talks about both 2D aswell as 3D.
It isn't very spicific, and you can use the theory from the book a lot!
The only downside I can think of, is that it only uses Java3D for all the 3D work (which is a BIG part of the book), but as I said - the theory isn't voided.

Don't get this if you're not into 3D at all! I'm not into 3D myself, and I feel like I blew a little money when reading those chapters. Ofcourse stuff like particles and flocking boids would just be easier to write in 2D, when you have the logic for it in 3D so it isn't really that bad.. Only the 3D/Java3D-specific stuff.  Cheesy

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-01-12 22:43:38 »

It might not be that relevant, but just to throw it out there I learnt Java using Objects First with Java. I mention it because I consider it to be one of the best for learning the langauge.

Some here might find it a bit simplistic (it's aimed at pretty much total beginners) but it trys to teach from concepts and to use very good coding styles (and explains why). Learning Java is almost a side effect of going through the book.

Offline aazimon
« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-01-12 23:13:45 »

I have "Killer Game Programming in Java" and "Developing Games in Java". I found them both good. I worked through each problem as I read, so I could figure out what was going on. I essentially coded from scratch adding in the examples. I haven't gotten to the 3D part of the books, since I'm more interested in 2D games.
 I also read "Java 2 Game Programming" which is the worst book I've read.  Angry Now, it's out dated.
Offline Mattedatten

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-01-13 06:00:28 »

Don't get this if you're not into 3D at all! I'm not into 3D myself, and I feel like I blew a little money when reading those chapters. Ofcourse stuff like particles and flocking boids would just be easier to write in 2D, when you have the logic for it in 3D so it isn't really that bad.. Only the 3D/Java3D-specific stuff.  Cheesy
I would like to learn 3D, and that it's in Java3D doesn't matter for now because I've just got to make something, not something good (Bad reason, I know) Wink

Thanks for good answers about Killer game programming, and if life could be easy I would've bought that book a while ago - but it can't be  Roll Eyes  Grin

The problem for me is that - can the old book be better than the new one? "Pro Java 6 Game Development" is from the same author as Killer game programming, which gives me the choice of an older, more tested book, or a newer and less reviewed one.

I even mailed the author himself for some months ago, and as a reply to a reply to my reply (2nd mail from him, as an reply to my second mail Wink) I got this:
Mattias,

Probably KGPJ is better to start with.

- Andrew

Which kind of again points to Killer game programming ... hm  Roll Eyes

Well thanks for the answers but don't stop answering  Grin
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-01-29 00:54:10 »

KGPJ is good enough to start with. His next book about 3D also nice. I read "Beginning Java Game Programming 2nd" and it really helps until now Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (29 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (50 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (47 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (113 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (100 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org