Games in Android Showcase (117)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  simple interface within an opengl application  (Read 3090 times)
Offline kebrus

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2010-12-18 03:09:20 »

hi guys, first time here ;]

i've been learning opengl for a while now and decided to create a simple application to test my skills, i'm creating a simple model viewer that loads an external .obj file, this viewer should support different kinds of texture mapping, lights and so on

to accomplish that i need some kind of a simple interface that lets me load my files and change some settings, like position, colors, etc, it would also be nice to have some mouse and keyboard for easy access too

i'm all fine with opengl but i'm a complete noob with java interface, not only i don't know much of how to implement a simple interface i also don't know how that interface can communicate with the rendering process

could anyone point me out to simple interface and maybe some examples on how accomplish that within an opengl application? my searches haven't been very fortunate, i only find examples and libraries for custom made interfaces, but i need something more streamlined

remember, i only need some textareas, checkboxes, dropdown lists, browser fields and so on...

thx in advance :]
Offline avm1979
« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-12-18 04:02:25 »

If you're using LWJGL, check out TWL, I hear it's good.

You could also combine AWTGLCanvas with standard swing/awt gui elements, but there are issues when they need to render overtop of it.

If you're using JOGL, never mind TWL, but iirc it integrates with swing/awt nicer than LWJGL, so that would be the direction to look in.

For basic keyboard and mouse access, take a look at org.lwjgl.input.Keyboard and org.lwjgl.input.Mouse
For a simple-ish self-contained example using those, take a look at this code.

i'm all fine with opengl but i'm a complete noob with java interface, not only i don't know much of how to implement a simple interface i also don't know how that interface can communicate with the rendering process
Generally, the UI code will have a callback that gets called when an action occurs (such as the user pressing a button or the like) and in that callback, you'll do whatever you need to do to respond to it.  If you're going to use swing or awt, the callback will be on a different thread so you'll need to be careful to do things in a threadsafe manner.  I suggest looking up some swing tutorials for quick examples.

Offline kebrus

Junior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-12-18 05:01:16 »

sorry for not specifying, i'm using jogl

about the different threads, does that means i have to create some sort of flags that i need to check in order to communicate between the two? isn't there any "nicer" way?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online pjt33
« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-12-18 07:56:14 »

I've used FengGUI for that kind of UI in JOGL. It's a bit buggy, but certainly usable.

The previous poster's comment about threading wasn't sufficiently clear. The thread in which your public static void main(String[]) method gets executed isn't the thread in which the UI events are raised, but typically all the main method does is this:
public static void main(String[] args) {
    SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new UIBuilder);
}
where UIBuilder implements Runnable and builds the UI. Then you only have to worry about threading if the operations you do in response to UI events are too slow to go in the same thread as the UI handling per se.
Offline avm1979
« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-12-18 14:55:17 »

I've used FengGUI for that kind of UI in JOGL. It's a bit buggy, but certainly usable.

Yep, on both counts. Smiley

typically all the main method does is this:
}
where UIBuilder implements Runnable and builds the UI.

Is there a reason to do that?  AFAIK it's perfectly OK to build the UI on the main thread.  It's only after you pack() / show() the main window that you have to limit access to the UI to the event-dispatching thread only.

The previous poster's comment about threading wasn't sufficiently clear.

What I meant was that the callbacks will be on a different thread than your GL rendering.  So you'd have to be careful about making GL calls in the callbacks (either GLContext.makeCurrent() the event thread, or just tell the rendering thread what to do).

Offline Matthias

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

TWL - Themable Widget Library

« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-12-18 18:39:27 »

If you're using JOGL, never mind TWL, but iirc it integrates with swing/awt nicer than LWJGL, so that would be the direction to look in.
TWL can also be used with JOGL. You just have to write (or port) a Renderer implementation.
TWL's rendering & input subsystem is completely abstracted. The provided renderer for LWJGL is a simple GL11 based renderer. With libgdx you can run TWL also on Android. If you want you could even render it using AWT :DD
Offline gouessej
« Reply #6 - Posted 2010-12-20 23:48:53 »

Why not using my JOGL port of Nifty GUI? It works really fine and it is actively (daily) maintained  Grin

Offline xinaesthetic

Medals: 1

« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-01-12 23:56:11 »

Why not using my JOGL port of Nifty GUI? It works really fine and it is actively (daily) maintained  Grin
Sounds cool... but I'm afraid that a quick google for 'Nifty GUI jogl' didn't give the healthiest looking set of results... it sounds like you consider it stable enough to use; I might have a play sometime if you post a link.

As for making swing components on the main thread; most of the time it doesn't matter, but officially it's not proper (potential deadlocks).  I was playing around with Substance LAF recently, and found they are deliberately strict about this... see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/491323/is-it-safe-to-construct-swing-awt-widgets-not-on-the-event-dispatch-thread (not my question) and related blog posts etc.  So that's a concrete example where it causes a real problem.
Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

Medals: 18

« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-01-13 12:46:04 »

typically all the main method does is this:
}
where UIBuilder implements Runnable and builds the UI.

Is there a reason to do that?  AFAIK it's perfectly OK to build the UI on the main thread.  It's only after you pack() / show() the main window that you have to limit access to the UI to the event-dispatching thread only.

While it is difficult to find explicit Sun/Oracle documentation online that says so, it is indeed the "new" recommendation to even create your GUI on the EDT.  It is very rare, but not unheard of, to experience therading issues (layout issues, etc.) when not doing so.  There are some good threads about this in the Swing forum on forums.oracle.com.

I know this argument is unconvincing since I have no definitive source to cite  persecutioncomplex, but one thing to consider is that all of the Swing examples in the official Swing tutorial now have a main method like this:

//Schedule a job for the event-dispatching thread:
   //creating and showing this application's GUI.
   javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
        public void run() {
            createAndShowGUI();
        }
    });
}

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-01-13 15:28:43 »

I know this argument is unconvincing since I have no definitive source to cite  persecutioncomplex, but one thing to consider is that all of the Swing examples in the official Swing tutorial now have a main method like this:

public void run() {
            createAndShowGUI();
        }
    });
}

This smells like bullshit cargo-cult programming to me. Swing has never required this in the past, and until there's a swing component visible I don't see why it would make any difference. Are you saying that they've broken backwards compatibility and all of the existing code that *doesn't* wrap it up in invokeLater() is now broken?

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline xinaesthetic

« Reply #10 - Posted 2011-01-13 16:14:07 »

public void run() {
            createAndShowGUI();
        }
    });
}

This smells like bullshit cargo-cult programming to me. Swing has never required this in the past, and until there's a swing component visible I don't see why it would make any difference. Are you saying that they've broken backwards compatibility and all of the existing code that *doesn't* wrap it up in invokeLater() is now broken?

The Java tutorial is pretty explicit that
An initial thread schedules the GUI creation task by invoking javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater or javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/concurrency/initial.html
Some Swing component methods are labelled "thread safe" in the API specification; these can be safely invoked from any thread. All other Swing component methods must be invoked from the event dispatch thread. Programs that ignore this rule may function correctly most of the time, but are subject to unpredictable errors that are difficult to reproduce.
This is also what I was told by my tutor at college (fwiw)...  It always seemed pretty pointless (as long, as you say, no component has actually been realised), and the only time it caused a problem for me was using Substance, where the devs have taken it upon themselves to enforce strict EDT usage since they clearly encounter a lot of bug reports from people who write incorrect swing code and get away with it, sometimes indefinitely. http://www.pushing-pixels.org/2008/07/15/stricter-checks-on-edt-violations-in-substance.html (that was what I wanted to link to before; had I known my post would be totally ignored I might have made more effort to dig it out).

I don't have a source that clearly shows whether this has always been the case, but clearly it comes as no surprise for someone responsible for maintaining a library like Substance that, yes, there is some theoretically incorrect legacy code out there that is liable to fall over at some point.  Whether my own code would ever have fallen over had I not been told off by Substance, we'll never know, because now I have 'carbon culted' those extra ~3 lines of code into my program...

There's only a rather subtle distinction between the kind of code that 'works', and something like http://weblogs.java.net/blog/alexfromsun/archive/2005/11/debugging_swing_1.html
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;

public class BadCode {
    public static void main(String args[]) {
        createGui();
    }

private static void createGui() {

//this code must be run on EventDispatch thread!

JFrame frame = new JFrame();
        frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
        frame.getContentPane().setLayout(new GridBagLayout());
        JEditorPane pane = new JEditorPane();
        pane.setText("Edt matters!");
        pane.setSelectionEnd(pane.getText().length());        
        frame.getContentPane().add(pane);        
        frame.setSize(new Dimension(200, 100));
        frame.setVisible(true);

//clear selection
       pane.setSelectionStart(0);
        pane.setSelectionEnd(0);
    }
}

which is wrong.
Offline avm1979
« Reply #11 - Posted 2011-01-13 16:39:50 »

Take a look at this.

Relevant excerpt:
An application's GUI can often be constructed and shown in the main thread: The
following typical code is safe, as long as no components (Swing or otherwise)
have been realized:
public class MyApplication {
   JFrame f = new JFrame("Labels");
   // Add components to
   // the frame here...
   f.pack();
   f.show();
   // Don'
t do any more GUI work here...
   }
}

So I'd say if this is no longer true, they definitely broke backwards compatibility.  My guess is though, it's enough of a pain to explain that they just decided it's simpler to say "do everything on the event dispatch thread" even though that's not actually required.

Offline xinaesthetic

« Reply #12 - Posted 2011-01-13 16:55:38 »

So I'd say if this is no longer true, they definitely broke backwards compatibility.  My guess is though, it's enough of a pain to explain that they just decided it's simpler to say "do everything on the event dispatch thread" even though that's not actually required.
That sounds reasonable.  Of course, there is something to be said for clear simple rules, not just so that they're easy to explain - although it feels pretty fishy when the only discernible effect is to add boilerplate.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 800
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #13 - Posted 2011-01-13 17:48:08 »

Take a look at this.

"This article about multithreading in Swing was archived in April 1998."

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #14 - Posted 2011-01-13 17:52:52 »

Take a look at this.

So? Code written against it is still valid and still exists in the wild. Which means it's either still ok and the invokeLater() is unnessesary boilerplate, or they've made a (reasonably large) compatibility breaking change.

I suspect that they were just fed up of the tons of bad programmers who just copy/paste from the tutorial code without realising that they need to do stuff on the EDT, so to save themselves some headaches they'll just make those people copy/paste the invokeLater() stuff as well.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 800
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2011-01-13 18:12:20 »

So? Code written against it is still valid and still exists in the wild. Which means it's either still ok and the invokeLater() is unnessesary boilerplate, or they've made a (reasonably large) compatibility breaking change.

I suspect that they were just fed up of the tons of bad programmers who just copy/paste from the tutorial code without realising that they need to do stuff on the EDT, so to save themselves some headaches they'll just make those people copy/paste the invokeLater() stuff as well.

You must be kidding right? They definitely broke backwards compatibility. They do it all the time.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline nsigma
« Reply #16 - Posted 2011-01-13 18:14:22 »

Take a look at this.

Well it's definitely in the docs for Java 6 - http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/package-summary.html

However, I wouldn't call it a compatibility breakage, as it was always broken - the old advice was wrong.  I guess with greater use of multicore machines, bugs may have become more frequently visible, but they were probably always there.

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #17 - Posted 2011-01-14 04:16:27 »

Yeah it's weird, here's an interesting blog post about it by Kiril G of Substance fame:

http://www.pushing-pixels.org/2008/07/15/stricter-checks-on-edt-violations-in-substance.html

His look and feel API actively breaks apps that run swing code outside the EDT! Pretty crazy

Offline philfrei
« Reply #18 - Posted 2011-01-14 05:54:40 »

From Horstmann's "Core Java" vol. 1, Chapter 14 Multithreading/Threads and Swing:

Seemed like it might be worth quoting this pretty much as a whole. Five minutes of typing. Big deal.

Horstmann discusses the single-thread rule: "Do not touch Swing components in any thread other than the event dispatch thread." Then, mentions that there are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, there are a number of Swing methods that are thread safe, and are marked so in the API with the sentence "This method is thread safe, although most Swing methods are not."

He writes that originally, "any thread was allowed to construct components, set their properties, and add them into containers, as long as none of the components had been REALIZED. A component is realized if it can receive paint or validation events. This is the case as soon as the setVisible(true) or pack(!) methods have been invoked on the component, or if the component has been added to a container that has been realized.

"That version of the single-thread rule was convenient. It allowed you to create the GUI in the main method and then call setVisible(true) on the top-level frame of the application. There was no bothersome scheduling of a Runnable on the event dispatch thread.

"Unfortunately, some component implementors did not pay attention to the subtleties of the original single-thread rule. They launched activities on the event dispatch thread without ever bothering to check whether the component was realized. For example, if you call setSelectionStart or setSelectionEnd on a JTextComponent, a caret movement is scheduled in the event dispatch thread, even if the component is not visible.

"It might well have been possible to detect and fix these problems, but the Swing designers took the easy way out. They decreed that it is never safe to access components from any thread other than the event dispatch thread. Therefore, you need to construct the user interface in the event dispatch thread, using the call to EventQueue.invokeLater that you have seen in all our sample programs.

"Of course, there are plenty of programs that are not so careful and live by the old version of the single-thread rule, initializing the user interface on the main thread. Those programs incur the slight risk that some of the user interface initialization causes actions on the event dispatch thread that conflict with actions on the main thread..."

Any typos in the above, and the simplified formatting is due to my typing.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 147
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #19 - Posted 2011-01-14 07:00:33 »

Thanks for typing that up. Smiley So it was ok, but was too easy to mess up, people messed it up, and at some point was made officially wrong.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #20 - Posted 2011-01-14 09:39:34 »

Swing developers f**king up and taking the lazy, hacky way out? Never!

Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 83
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #21 - Posted 2011-01-14 10:05:34 »

Seemed like it might be worth quoting this pretty much as a whole. Five minutes of typing. Big deal.

Google is your friend Smiley

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780132354769/807

Mike

PS. This post was not only to tease philfrej but also to provide the reference if anyone wanted to read more from the book.

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline xinaesthetic

« Reply #22 - Posted 2011-01-14 12:07:16 »

His look and feel API actively breaks apps that run swing code outside the EDT! Pretty crazy
Seems crazy in a way, but of course it's better to catch potential errors as soon as possible, and to know when you are doing something wrong... or not to be allowed to do something if it is wrong.  It would be even better if they made this feedback come straight from the compiler, but I'm quite grateful for the fail fast approach of Substance.
Offline philfrei
« Reply #23 - Posted 2011-01-14 20:50:19 »

Mickelucas, how did you do that?  Shocked Huh

My Safari account is through the public library system, and many of the books in the full version are just not available. That Horstmann book won't come up via searches on Horstmann nor on Core Java.

And if I try to Google in, I'm put in "Preview" mode, and am cut off mid page 794.

I don't mean to hijack the thread...

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 83
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #24 - Posted 2011-01-14 21:36:06 »

Off topic:
I took something that looked a bit unique in the text and googled for it ("using the call to EventQueue.invokeLater that you have seen in all our sample programs", with the quotes) and clicked on the top result...

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline philfrei
« Reply #25 - Posted 2011-01-20 23:18:46 »

Off topic: appreciated!

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (12 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (28 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (48 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (103 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org