Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (556)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Tectonicus - deep minecraft map renderer  (Read 24588 times)
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Posted 2010-11-28 01:20:09 »

Not a game this time, but a 'deep' minecraft map renderer. There's quite a few minecraft map renderers out there, which typically work by doing some kind of raytracing to output a single huge image. For example, McMap produces output like this:

(actual size)

Tectonicus is different, it renders maps by generating the appropriate geometry and doing a proper 3d rasterisation:

(actual size)

This results in lots more detail. And since the resulting image would be too huge to view, it's carved up into sub tiles and then spliced together via the magic that is Google Maps. It's easier to see than to explain, so hit this link to see it in action:

[size=14pt]View Example Output[/size]

That's an untouched minecraft spawn area, so it's actually the smallest map possible. I've tested this on our multiplayer server (which is 70k chunks rather than the examples 500) so in theory it should be able to render any sized map.

Download here

It's command line only at the moment - just run it with no options to see the command line options available.

It's still very work-in-progress, but I'm sure there's a few minecraft fans around here, so it'd be great to see a few other people's map renders. I'd also like general feedback (does it run, does it crash, does it need extra command line options to work on your system, etc.) from the more techy types around here before I start letting less techy people get their hands on it. Smiley

Thanks.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 12

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-11-28 01:43:37 »

awesome.

:edit:

and spooky!
Using the test output, I just randomly zoomed in on a spot.... and once it had finished loading, guess what I ended up looking at!

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline Aaron Goulet

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-11-28 04:38:19 »

Nicely done!  I might use this for my Minecraft server, once SMP is fixed to the point of playability and whatnot.  Cheesy
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-11-28 11:07:27 »

That is pretty spooky. Smiley

Aaron: We're finding multiplayer pretty playable at the moment - health is in and after yesterdays bug fixes it's pretty stable.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Aaron Goulet

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-11-28 22:00:42 »

That is pretty spooky. Smiley

Aaron: We're finding multiplayer pretty playable at the moment - health is in and after yesterdays bug fixes it's pretty stable.

There's still some things I'd like to see fixed, like tools/weapons/armor getting miraculously repaired after dropping them and picking them back up, plus not being able to pick up certain items, plus combat doesn't seem to work so well (lag issues).  It's playable, but it has a few updates to go before it is close to looking like single-player survival mode.  Smiley

I love the game though.  I wrote Markus a love letter with my bug report.  Kiss
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-11-28 22:42:16 »

Yeah, multiplayer is still quite a bit behind single player atm. But I'm mostly in it for the building. Smiley

Meanwhile I've been expanding the number of blocks Tectonicus supports. (The interested can find a list of minecraft blocks here). I've all of the vanilla blocks (stone, sand, etc.) done, and added quite a few of the various plants (cactii, reeds, flowers) as well. Everything else needs special handling - things like ladders and furnaces which have a direction, or items like torches and fences which require custom geometry.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #6 - Posted 2010-11-29 10:47:17 »

Neat!

Play Minecraft!
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2010-11-30 20:03:26 »

Neat!

It surely is!  Cheesy

This is alot better than the typical minecraft mapping application! Is it going to support multiple angles (in different renders ofcourse)?
Oh, and can I ask how you made it work with Google Maps? The API is only telling me about using the maps for locating and stuff, but nothing about custom maps?  Roll Eyes

Good luck!

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #8 - Posted 2010-11-30 21:29:07 »

Cool, running it right now.

FYI, the console will look like this for Mac users:

java -jar Tectonicus.jar minecraftJar='/Users/THISUSER/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar' worldDir='/Users/THISUSER/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves/World2' outputDir='.'

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #9 - Posted 2010-12-02 01:24:04 »

Neat!

Grin

Thanks guys.

Btw if you've run the minecraft client on the computer you don't need to set the path to minecraft.jar, it'll find it on it's own. Similarly if you're mapping a singleplayer world you can just do worldDir=1 (or 2, etc.).

Mads: Different angles / elevations are on the todo list, probably quite soonish. And if you want you can just look at the html source of the example map, it's really quite easy to use the google maps api.

Also, an epic map render someone did:

http://goo.gl/vZoMe

I just finished rendering a ~92mb world on a 2x2600MHz Athlon with 4 GB Ram.
It took 6 hours 28 minutes and 16 seconds and gave me ~14.3 GB files.

Shocked

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #10 - Posted 2010-12-02 03:10:02 »

Very cool, and nice work leveraging the Google maps API.

Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 12

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #11 - Posted 2010-12-02 09:55:25 »

So, when do we get it updating in real-time  Grin

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #12 - Posted 2010-12-02 19:55:04 »

How do I put it up somewhere so that Google Maps or whatever actually uses the data? As of now I just get a bunch of images that I have to browse.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #13 - Posted 2010-12-02 20:53:09 »

How do I put it up somewhere so that Google Maps or whatever actually uses the data? As of now I just get a bunch of images that I have to browse.
It'll write a map.html file in the root of the output directory, which should have all the required javascript magic to make it work with google maps.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #14 - Posted 2010-12-02 23:49:58 »

It'll write a map.html file in the root of the output directory, which should have all the required javascript magic to make it work with google maps.
Ah cool, I didn't see it. Serves me right for having it process right into my downloads folder. Smiley

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #15 - Posted 2010-12-03 23:39:40 »

Here is the server I play on with my brothers and wife. Complete with zoo and giant lava phallus.

http://www.otcsw.com/minecraft/DemonpantsServer/map.html

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #16 - Posted 2010-12-04 00:51:34 »

Here is the server I play on with my brothers and wife. Complete with zoo and giant lava phallus.

http://www.otcsw.com/minecraft/DemonpantsServer/map.html
Aha! Fantasic.

A fellow underwater buider I see. I've gone a little nuts on our multiplayer server and have a whole network of underwater glass domes similar to yours.  Grin

Offline SimonH
« Reply #17 - Posted 2010-12-04 01:33:19 »

Really nice, but... no streetview?  Wink

People make games and games make people
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #18 - Posted 2010-12-06 16:09:46 »

Aha! Fantasic.

A fellow underwater buider I see. I've gone a little nuts on our multiplayer server and have a whole network of underwater glass domes similar to yours.  Grin
Yes indeedy. It would be nice if Tectonicus would render torches on the other side of the glass, as those domes are all filled with torches. :-)

Here is a fun hint- if you make a large array of TNT to the ocean floor and set it off, you will often create dead zones where there is no water for no reason (looks like a cool vortex). You can then incorporate these with your underwater structures to make interesting areas underneath the ocean.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #19 - Posted 2010-12-06 16:48:56 »

Yes indeedy. It would be nice if Tectonicus would render torches on the other side of the glass, as those domes are all filled with torches. :-)
I've been frantically adding support for more block types over the last week or so, but not really kept this thread up to date. There's more info in this thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=95739&sid=e671593a5c49cff6f3890321d8c02a10

Torches, chests, furnaces, plants, fences and minecart tracks and a few more oddball blocks now work. Still missing are doors, switches and other redstone-related items.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #20 - Posted 2010-12-16 17:28:50 »

The guys over at The Shaft rendered their multiplayer server, which apparently took two days to complete, since it's huge.

http://www.deadworkerspartynetwork.com/theshaft/map1/map1/map.html

The closest two zoom levels don't work IIRC to cut down on bandwidth, but it still looks awesome.  Grin

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #21 - Posted 2011-01-30 20:29:16 »

Big post-holiday update - new block types, biome colours and more options to control player and sign markers.

Full details here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1022&t=95739&start=840

If you're using this, please consider donating to charity. You'll get a cool in-map badge!

Thanks.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #22 - Posted 2011-02-07 00:45:17 »

I don't post about every new version, but v1.18 adds much-requested feature: cave mode!

Render your map and hunt out those underground constructions you made, or look for dungeons to explore.

Full details in the minecraft forum thread as always: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1022&t=95739

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #23 - Posted 2011-02-27 23:24:00 »

Yeah, I know you guys don't care, but there's yet another big update to this, plus I updated the example map: http://www.triangularpixels.com/Junk/TectonicusTest/map.html?worldX=561&worldY=0&worldZ=-111&zoom=8

Latest version here.

Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 145
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #24 - Posted 2011-02-27 23:32:46 »

Hey, I don't play Minecraft but I like reading about what you're doing. Smiley Would be cool to see the 16-bit ALU as a Google map.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #25 - Posted 2011-02-28 01:13:46 »

Thanks. Smiley

Also just found something cool - if you do a google search for "tectonicus map" it turns up loads of maps people have generated and put online. Yay for using an obscure latin term as an application name.  Grin

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-04-15 21:46:57 »

Long story short - I don't have time to work on this any more. So I've open sourced it (BSD):

http://code.google.com/p/tectonicus/

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print