games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Starfarer  (Read 36916 times)
Offline tberthel
« Reply #60 - Posted 2011-04-30 23:48:02 »

Very nice looking.  Space war games are great.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #61 - Posted 2011-05-04 02:27:55 »

Wanted to tell you guys that the alpha is officially out!
Oooh, I shall have a look.

EDIT: I didn't realize that I have to pay. Pshaw, moneys. I definitely will if the game is good. Is there any sort of demo or anything I can play before I pay?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline avm1979
« Reply #62 - Posted 2011-05-04 04:25:48 »

Oooh, I shall have a look.

EDIT: I didn't realize that I have to pay. Pshaw, moneys. I definitely will if the game is good. Is there any sort of demo or anything I can play before I pay?

There'll be a demo, but it's likely to happen when the game is close to being feature-complete (i.e., not for a while). It'd be a bit of a headache maintaining a demo in reasonably up-to-date shape while also developing the full version. And I think I'd rather have no demo than an out-of-date one...

If it's any help, early responses have been quite positive Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #63 - Posted 2011-05-06 11:29:22 »

Dunno, but $10 for a preorder is not bad imho.
Offline avm1979
« Reply #64 - Posted 2011-05-11 01:07:30 »

Dominic from DIYGamer has shot a rather extended gameplay video of the alpha in action. You can find the full 2-part video here, along with his overall thoughts on the game.

The video is very nicely annotated and tells you a lot about the game.

Also, you can check out a (p)review side by side with SPAZ.

Offline daGrevis

Senior Newbie

« Reply #65 - Posted 2011-05-12 20:09:07 »

This looks amazing! In my opinion, there should be a little bit faster game play. It looks too slow, but the effects are awesome! Roll Eyes

God is Real, unless declared Integer.
Offline avm1979
« Reply #66 - Posted 2011-05-13 03:56:51 »

Thanks, glad you like how it looks! Some people are saying slower, some faster, so it's probably close to being right Smiley

Actually, it really depends on the kind of ship you fly. Frigates are much more action-y (and can be very strong, especially with the player at the helm). Battleships are slow and ponderous, but really, what kind of a battleship would it be if it wasn't?

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #67 - Posted 2011-05-30 14:52:48 »

congrats for making it onto indiegames.com http://indiegames.com/2011/05/trailer_starfarer_fractal_soft.html
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #68 - Posted 2011-05-30 14:57:55 »

@Offtopic :
How do games get featured on those sites btw ? Do they "discover" games themselves or you should send a review request or something ?

Offline avm1979
« Reply #69 - Posted 2011-05-31 18:32:32 »

Thank you! Was very cool (and a bit surreal) to see it on there.

@Offtopic :
How do games get featured on those sites btw ? Do they "discover" games themselves or you should send a review request or something ?

I can't speak for the general case, but for SF, Nicholas from Gaslamp Games put in a good word about it with the writer that was interviewing him. The connection with SF is that David (Starfarer artist, solely responsible for all the pixel art goodness) is also part of Gaslamp.

... I would be remiss not to mention Dungeons of Dredmor, a "graphical roguelike" they're just about ready to ship - which, despite not being written in Java, is looking absolutely superb Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Medals: 26
Exp: 18 years

Computers can do that?

« Reply #70 - Posted 2011-05-31 19:02:07 »

I must admit i love the look of the game. However i am not sure about the way you pilot  a ship. I find it  a bit tedious. Also in the tutorials one of the fighters got away, and it took ten mins to hunt it down, perhaps a skip to the next tutorial is a good idea.

Otherwise worth every penny!

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.--Albert Einstein
Offline avm1979
« Reply #71 - Posted 2011-05-31 20:14:31 »

I must admit i love the look of the game. However i am not sure about the way you pilot  a ship. I find it  a bit tedious. Also in the tutorials one of the fighters got away, and it took ten mins to hunt it down, perhaps a skip to the next tutorial is a good idea.

Thanks!

Good call about the fighters - I'll add a check in that section of that tutorial that skips it if the fighters get too far away. They already get speed-nerfed to make them easier to catch, but apparently that wasn't quite enough Smiley

Could you elaborate - what specifically did you find tedious about piloting?

Offline avm1979
« Reply #72 - Posted 2011-06-18 00:06:17 »

A roundup of some in-progress, but already playable mods for Starfarer. With plenty of juicy screenshots Smiley

Here is one:

Offline avm1979
« Reply #73 - Posted 2011-07-10 17:21:16 »

Wrote a blog post about AI collision avoidance that I thought you guys might find interesting.

There's also a video showing it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZsx-_S-Eks

Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #74 - Posted 2011-10-06 09:36:16 »

Finally got around to buying a preorder and besides my issues with my dual monitor setup, it rocks!
Offline avm1979
« Reply #75 - Posted 2011-10-06 21:03:08 »

Finally got around to buying a preorder and besides my issues with my dual monitor setup, it rocks!

Thanks, happy you like it!

Yeah, that dual monitor issue is odd. Can't quite tell whether it's a driver issue, or a LWJGL one, but either way, only having the resolution that includes both screens show up isn't right.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 342
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #76 - Posted 2011-10-06 23:18:33 »

That is an LWJGL issue.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #77 - Posted 2011-10-07 01:09:39 »

Reminds me a little bit of netrek.  Just need to add epic starbase battles and ogging and it's perfect Smiley
Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Computers can do that?

« Reply #78 - Posted 2011-10-07 11:30:01 »

yea, Think i like it more than netrek however. But then it been a while since i played last. Got addicted to Frozen Synapse recently.....

I guess really i prefer more "RTS" type controls. Which is really a different kind of game completely. 

Offline avm1979
« Reply #79 - Posted 2011-10-07 17:06:52 »

That is an LWJGL issue.

You don't happen to have more info on that, do you? The exact issue is that the combined resolution of the two monitors (say, 2560x1024) comes back as the only result from a org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.getAvailableDisplayModes() call.

I guess really i prefer more "RTS" type controls. Which is really a different kind of game completely. 

Yeah, it really is. The move away from RTS-style controls wasn't because they're bad in general (RTS games use them to good effect! Smiley), but because they're just not right for where SF is going.

Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Computers can do that?

« Reply #80 - Posted 2011-12-22 18:53:20 »

Just updated and played again. I forgot to say its quite polished for a alpha and I found the controls a bit better from last time. However in auto pilot mode my ship flies into asteroids. Will there be any multilayer support?  Right the now the game has a lot of promise, but the current crop of missions are not really doing it for me. I just end up flying around a lot and blowing up any baddies, rather than using fleet points and getting strategic. 

As for dual monitor. In linux at least there may be no fix in many cases, since the drivers are reporting that there is just a single wide monitor. Its up to the user to config there xorg to report things properly i think (some setups this will not be possible). Nvidia has quite a bit on it. Long story short, you need to add extra mode lines to the xorg.conf. Otherwise there is talk of adding this more directly to lwjgl, but even then i think the sea of different xorg config options, it will be hit and miss. You could tell users to config their machines properly Cheesy

if its any consolation, the vast majority of games and even many apps, don't play nice on many monitor system under linux at least. As long as you support a windowed mode, your gold really.

Offline avm1979
« Reply #81 - Posted 2011-12-22 22:43:43 »

Just updated and played again. I forgot to say its quite polished for a alpha and I found the controls a bit better from last time. However in auto pilot mode my ship flies into asteroids. Will there be any multilayer support?  Right the now the game has a lot of promise, but the current crop of missions are not really doing it for me. I just end up flying around a lot and blowing up any baddies, rather than using fleet points and getting strategic. 

Thanks!

No multiplayer - not to mention the extra work, the design goals for SP and MP tend to be incompatible.

Working on the campaign layer of the game now - the next release will have a basic version of that, the ability to refit your ships, and weapon/engine damage & repair in combat. Should add quite a bit of meat to the game.

Oh, as far as the asteroids, if it's small enough compared to the ship, the AI won't bother avoiding it - the consequences of trying are worse than the piddling damage the ship may take.

As for dual monitor. In linux at least there may be no fix in many cases, since the drivers are reporting that there is just a single wide monitor. Its up to the user to config there xorg to report things properly i think (some setups this will not be possible). Nvidia has quite a bit on it. Long story short, you need to add extra mode lines to the xorg.conf. Otherwise there is talk of adding this more directly to lwjgl, but even then i think the sea of different xorg config options, it will be hit and miss. You could tell users to config their machines properly Cheesy

if its any consolation, the vast majority of games and even many apps, don't play nice on many monitor system under linux at least. As long as you support a windowed mode, your gold really.

Thanks - yeah, someone posted instructions for that on our forum a little while ago, seems pretty hairy, but like you say, also pretty clearly a configuration issue.

Offline lordberzerker97

Senior Newbie

« Reply #82 - Posted 2012-01-15 01:24:46 »

Looks good. TotalBiscuit made a good video about it Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWno9UISZaU&feature=g-all-u&context=G212e10aFAAAAAAAANAA
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #83 - Posted 2012-01-16 12:32:31 »

oh nice, that is a pretty good preview of the game, its shaping up really nicely.
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #84 - Posted 2012-01-16 19:44:42 »

nice review! - and the combat is looking really nice.

However. All of the features he mentions sounds like a TON of work.
When do you think you will have a beta ready (feature complete)?

Offline avm1979
« Reply #85 - Posted 2012-01-17 00:44:32 »

Thanks guys Smiley

However. All of the features he mentions sounds like a TON of work.
When do you think you will have a beta ready (feature complete)?

Tough question, really hard to say. Late this year, perhaps? A lot of stuff is already done - ship refitting + hull mods, damageable weapons/engines, fleet/cargo/crew management, a star system with rudimentary navigation - it just needs a few weeks worth of polish/cleanup/being made into a game before the next alpha release.

Of course, there's a lot that hasn't even been touched yet - a functioning economy and other such sector-wide high level systems, character advancement (actually shouldn't be too bad, that one - lots of hooks are already in place), officers, and outposts.

I think what's going to be the hardest is creating a good system for the economy/faction relations/etc, and then tweaking all those large-scale interactions until they work well. The other stuff is... well, lots of work, but it's self contained work and most of it you can just plow through.

I do worry that I may be underestimating the effort, but then, looking back at what's already done gives me hope.

Offline Pepek

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #86 - Posted 2012-10-20 01:15:01 »

I love that game. Finally something with detailed damage model and proper stats. No stupid bars in dps stats. Only problem is that it's getting boring fast because there is not enough content. Fortunately there is so many mods it's not a big thing;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (25 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (33 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org