Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Pros and Cons of Java  (Read 4760 times)
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 38

« Reply #30 - Posted 2010-11-17 12:20:28 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotJava

Unfortunately it's the one of the first things that manifested the "java is slow" legend

More critically, HotJava suffered from the performance limitations of Java virtual machine implementations of the day (both in speed and in memory consumption) and was consequently quite slow.

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #31 - Posted 2010-11-17 12:47:09 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HotJava

Unfortunately it's the one of the first things that manifested the "java is slow" legend

that was a long time ago (16 years ago) in the dark days of dial up internet and slow low memory and cpu computers, I reckon it'd be much more successful if attempted nowadays especially with modern browsers.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 339
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #32 - Posted 2010-11-17 13:47:48 »

Something like, just embed a headless VM in Chrome (ie. without AWT and Swing). Pop in a decent API for DOM twiddling. Maybe Jikes, to allow actual Java source to be used as script as well as bytecode. Allow script tag to reference a jar and a class with a main method. Fiddle with security to ensure pages are sandboxed. Add LWJGL canvas for good measure Wink That'd be seriously amazing really and make Javascript based applications look like the slow and crappy bugridden bits of shite they currently are.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #33 - Posted 2010-11-17 15:04:53 »

Mind you Apple have done their level best to completely break applets anyway. Grr.

What, realistically, is the performance difference between Java 6 and the fastest JS engines out there at raw compute power and memory writes?

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=v8&lang2=java

Regular expressions are super fast with V8. Generally Java (server) is at least 3 times faster. On average Java is about 5 times faster. And if you do something JS is pretty bad at, Java can be over 40 times faster.

It can be a pain to get javascript code to work the same in different browsers, let alone on totally different platforms. There will always be those hacks to get around variations between browsers, e.g. if(ie) { ... } else if(firefox) { ...}.
[...]
I've written a GUI platform in javascript that works great in Firefox, but I'd need months to get it working in Internet Explorer.

I rarely have any problems. JSLint helps a lot.

But perhaps that is all worth it. Javascript is pretty portable considering. It's the most used and widespread programming language out there.

After writing it for 5 years, I still hate how bad the OOP support is. It's like they've gone out of their way to not evolve javascript. It was never intended to be used so much, but it's #1 out there, it was supposed to be used as a "helper" scripting language for forms and stuff, and therefore doesn't even have basic OOP support. I'd really like to have classes, abstract classes, inheritence, polymorphism. I know you can simulate a lot of this stuff, but it just doesn't feel right.

http://code.google.com/p/joose-js/

"[...] classes, inheritance, mixins, traits, method modifiers and more."

Well, you can have classes and you can also have inheritance. Prototypal-inheritance, that is.

Something like, just embed a headless VM in Chrome (ie. without AWT and Swing). Pop in a decent API for DOM twiddling.[...]

Ah yea... DOM manipulation. This wouldn't be any faster with Java, C or C++. It's so slow because it's a super heavy operation. Reflowing (recalculating the layout) and redrawing are the slow parts. A faster language won't help there.

(Thankfully you don't have to touch the DOM for Canvas-based games.)

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 339
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #34 - Posted 2010-11-17 15:49:20 »

I was under no illusions about the speed of DOM manipulation, but what would be doable in Canvases would be, well... Minecraft Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 50
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Reply #35 - Posted 2010-11-17 17:09:06 »

http://code.google.com/p/joose-js/

"[...] classes, inheritance, mixins, traits, method modifiers and more."

Well, you can have classes and you can also have inheritance. Prototypal-inheritance, that is.

Well, that's what I mean, it's a shitmix. Horrible syntax in that joose, just look: http://code.google.com/p/joose-js/wiki/BeforeAndAfter

I don't blame joose, I blame javascript.

Also, this doesn't run on all JS engines.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #36 - Posted 2010-11-17 18:45:37 »

>Also, this doesn't run on all JS engines.

http://code.google.com/p/joose-js/wiki/JooseAndOtherFrameworks

It even works in IE6. Why would anyone use an engine which is even worse than IE6's? It's over 9 years old and f-ing slow.

Well, I don't use Joose. Prototypal-inheritance is enough for me, but I don't even need that.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #37 - Posted 2010-11-17 19:03:58 »

Java is great for big stuff, but most individual tasks I need to code with JavaScript is typically no more then half a page long. Like querying a page and displaying an error if it fails. With JQuery (or one of the other many JS frameworks) that's a trivial number of lines (and I'd argue it's far easier to read then using a Java alternative).

I personally would like to see a bytecode engine, probably similar to the JVM (plus it's dynamic extensions) in the browser. JavaScript, Java or something else would then just target that bytecode. But I believe for most games the speed issues are currently with the canvas (especially on my Linux laptop) and not with JavaScript. Like placing certain content on top or even behind the canvas can have a severe impact on it's performance in Chrome, FireFox and others (or at least for me). But all of the major browsers should be fully hardware accelerated (both canvas and the page) and adopted by the majority of people by mid-way next year.

Although there are still plenty of issues writing cross-browser JavaScript, I've yet to find any in regards to the canvas (although I'm sure some are out there).

Over the last year alone there has been plenty of development for using and improving; Flash, HTML+JavaScript and Silverlight. Over the next year I'll predict that all of those (including even Silverlight) will get more improvement then Java applets (even if it's just browser speed improvements). That is my main issue with using Java applets.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #38 - Posted 2010-11-17 19:35:28 »

>I've yet to find any [cross-browser issues] in regards to the canvas

The image returned by Chrome's Canvas got pre-multiplied alpha. Fortunately this doesn't really matter. If you want off-screen rendering you'd just draw that off-screen Canvas onto your on-screen Canvas (see: Off-Screen Rendering (Render to Texture) with HTML5's Canvas Element).

createPattern and drawing that pattern is very slow in Firefox. If you translate and then draw some image it's still pixel-snapped in Chrome. Both issues will disappear with hardware acceleration, however.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline krasse
« Reply #39 - Posted 2010-11-17 23:55:06 »

I go on and on about this... but by combining GWT with the HTML 5 canvas you can keep your Java, which is great for big things. The only major problem seems to be performance for non-hardware accelerated stuff.
Already discussed here:
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/html-5-gwt-g2d-fun-for-us-java-lovers/23216/view.html

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (12 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (10 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (11 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (12 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (42 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (38 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (34 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (50 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org