Games in Showcase (578)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (499)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Mac App Store without Java  (Read 7595 times)
Offline Mr. Gol

Medals: 1

« Reply #30 - Posted 2010-10-22 10:34:59 »

I suspect that creating native Mac Look And Feel would be quite problematic as the supporting API that is providing the ability to draw component parts is from deprecated Carbon. On the other side, Qt (which is also opensource) has native LAF on Mac, so there is fully functional example to learn from.

There is already the Quaqua look and feel (http://www.randelshofer.ch/quaqua/index.html) which is actually better than Apple's own effort. The only problem will indeed be to port AWT to Cocoa.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 70
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #31 - Posted 2010-10-22 14:06:29 »

interesting post from Gosling regarding the above.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 12

Game Engineer

« Reply #32 - Posted 2010-10-22 16:36:31 »

There is already the Quaqua look and feel (http://www.randelshofer.ch/quaqua/index.html) which is actually better than Apple's own effort. The only problem will indeed be to port AWT to Cocoa.

Quaqua is not a fully self-contained look and feel. It runs on top of Apple's Aqua Look and Feel, and provides fixes and enhancements for it.

Sad

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #33 - Posted 2010-10-22 18:11:22 »

Steve Jobs responds to an email about Java. Could be fake but either way its a rather lame excuse for dropping java support.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 15
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #34 - Posted 2010-10-22 19:24:32 »

Still, if another JVM would actually be provided by for example Oracle, Apple is still blocking java apps on the App Store right? But would that also include games with an embedded JVM?

Offline delt0r

JGO Coder

Medals: 22

Computers can do that?

« Reply #35 - Posted 2010-10-22 19:29:07 »

It includes anything Apple says no too. Its not like they have been consistent with what they permit and don't permit.

If i was a mac user right now, I would be looking at Ebay right now. Its pretty clear what direction this is going to go in. Makes the MS tax look friendly (IIRC they are asking 30%).

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.--Albert Einstein
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #36 - Posted 2010-10-22 20:06:00 »

Well, Steam is on Mac now, so there is still hope for java games on at least that app store Smiley
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 282
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #37 - Posted 2010-10-22 20:42:04 »

Well, yes, provided someone has the wherewithall to see if OpenJDK cuts it with LWJGL, anyway...

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #38 - Posted 2010-10-22 22:59:22 »

Frankly I couldn't care less about Aqua/Swing/AWT bindings, or even if the VM is bundled with the OS. Just as long as there's a reliable and performant VM that I can throw LWJGL and a VM language over the top of.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #39 - Posted 2010-10-22 23:16:04 »

Well, yes, provided someone has the wherewithall to see if OpenJDK cuts it with LWJGL, anyway...

Cas Smiley

LWJGL works fine with OpenJDK (at least on linux), only issues with OpenJDK is that it doesn't have proper JWS and Applet support. It should be fine for bundling with an app though.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #40 - Posted 2010-10-23 00:40:59 »

OpenJDK on the Mac is a rather different proposition.

Cas Smiley

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 6

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #41 - Posted 2010-10-23 03:32:01 »

new java update (3) came out on Mac 2day, downloading and gonna test LWJGL...

edit: OpenGL applets still broke with plugin2  Cry

but at least Applet still seems to be developing Java, I wonder when updates will stop.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #42 - Posted 2010-10-23 12:49:33 »

LWJGL works fine with OpenJDK (at least on linux), only issues with OpenJDK is that it doesn't have proper JWS and Applet support. It should be fine for bundling with an app though.
OpenJDK has NetX, doesn't it? TUER works fine with this VM, I only had to work around a known bug in its way of parsing JNLP files.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #43 - Posted 2010-10-23 13:21:54 »

Nothing to do with the app store though - that's about delivering apps. Not jnlps.

Cas Smiley

Offline Mr. Gol

« Reply #44 - Posted 2010-10-23 14:15:56 »

but at least Apple still seems to be developing Java, I wonder when updates will stop.

They will continue to work on their Java implementation for the remainder of Leopard's and Snow Leopard's life cycle. For Snow Leopard that should be for another year or so.

In relation to this update I have to say that it appears that Apple's Java team was not informed of this decision. If you look in the release notes, they added a lot of new stuff in this update. There is now an API for the mouse gesture events, and they redesigned some other stuff. That's a lot of work for something that's going to disappear soon.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #45 - Posted 2010-10-23 15:18:35 »

They did add support for third party jvm's, so they must have known to some degree and have started to make it easier for someone else to fill the gap.
Offline thiagosc

Senior Newbie

« Reply #46 - Posted 2010-10-26 03:08:42 »

I understand why some might be interested in supporting Apple stuff for business reasons, but other than that, who cares.

Apple is a disgusting company that has already demonstrated that their idea of a "computer" is a locked down appliance. Removing Java is just another step to lock it down further.

I don't know why some people are shocked. You should have seen this coming a long time ago.

Apple is worse than Microsoft. I never understood why some Java developers seemed to like Macs so much.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #47 - Posted 2010-10-26 10:21:17 »

After correspondence with some of the Apple Java Team Engineers, they have said they still have long term plans/goals for Java, it doesn't say much but their is an indication that the deprecation announcement was premature. Maybe they have plans to help transit or donate the code they have to something like OpenJDK or to Oracle. It would be a terrible waste from Apples point of view to just abandon all the hard work they've put into it even if they have decided to no longer support it themselves.
Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #48 - Posted 2010-10-26 12:15:03 »

Apple is a disgusting company that has already demonstrated that their idea of a "computer" is a locked down appliance. Removing Java is just another step to lock it down further.

I don't know why some people are shocked. You should have seen this coming a long time ago.

Apple is worse than Microsoft.
Unfortunately this is true, I think.

It would be a terrible waste from Apples point of view to just abandon all the hard work they've put into it even if they have decided to no longer support it themselves.
I don't think that such egocentric people like Steve Jobs think in normal ways. They want something in their head and will take nearly any measure to achieve this, no matter how sensible it is.

This of course is not limited to Steve Jobs. I think Larry Ellison is similar. Higly egocentric. Smiley
In the ancient Rome such persons have been named with the well known Latin word "idiot".

On the other side, I don't think you've to worry too much. Apple Mac will always be some niche market. (Please note I don't say that Mac OS X is bad, but I agree with Thiagosc on Apple.)
Android will overtake iOS easily, starting 2011; actually it is already starting in number of sold Android devices compared to iPhones. The reason could be that the world's mobile manufacturers do not want to be Jobs' serfs). 
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #49 - Posted 2010-10-26 12:27:14 »

On the other side, I don't think you've to worry too much. Apple Mac will always be some niche market.
It may be a niche market, but at the moment it's my preferred development environment. If the JVM stops being available for Mac then I've got to either change language or OS, neither of which is a thrilling proposition. Angry

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #50 - Posted 2010-10-26 12:36:59 »

It may be a niche market, but at the moment it's my preferred development environment.
Hi Orangy, nice to read you.
I fully understand you, and some of my Java friends use Mac OS X, too, which technically is nice.

"Niche" I didn't mean in a negative way; actually we Java developers know niche(s) very well! (Except for Markus Persson's Minecraft, hihi)

With "niche market" I wanted to say that Apples decision is not the end of the Java world.
(Also Mac applications can be distributed in the classic way, for example via own Web sites, without App Mac Store. Unfortunately the Store will attract the "masses"...)

If the JVM stops being available for Mac then I've got to either change language or OS, neither of which is a thrilling proposition. Angry
Yes, that would be very bad, and for the sake of Java and its community I hope Apple won't stop the JVM. Or in case they would, let's hope they help the official (Oracle) Java or OpenJDK or such a thing so that they can deliver a solid JVM for Mac OS X.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #51 - Posted 2010-10-26 12:40:50 »

Yes, that would be very bad, and for the sake of Java and its community I hope Apple won't stop the JVM. Or in case they would, let's hope they help the official (Oracle) Java or OpenJDK or such a thing so that they can deliver a solid JVM for Mac OS X.

Unfortunately with Oracle keeping silent as ever, 'hope' is all we have to go on right now. Which leaves me wondering if I want to sink time into a dead-end technology or start on a new technology stack now while there's a transition period.

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #52 - Posted 2010-10-26 12:50:15 »

Unfortunately with Oracle keeping silent as ever, 'hope' is all we have to go on right now. Which leaves me wondering if I want to sink time into a dead-end technology or start on a new technology stack now while there's a transition period.

There was a nice article on slashdot this morning, with Eclipse's marketing director trying to give oracles marketing department a clue. Something Oracle seriously needs to pay attention to.
Offline fruitmaze
« Reply #53 - Posted 2010-10-26 13:04:12 »

I'm considering starting to make games in Javascript instead. It feels like that could be the future for browser-games. What do you think?
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #54 - Posted 2010-10-26 13:09:33 »

I'm considering starting to make games in Javascript instead. It feels like that could be the future for browser-games. What do you think?

while the future of javascript does look good, just not found ides/tools support on par with whats currently available for java.

Also saw this yesterday http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash/molehill/ actually makes programming games in Flash look really appealing.
Offline fruitmaze
« Reply #55 - Posted 2010-10-26 14:17:22 »

Also saw this yesterday http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash/molehill/ actually makes programming games in Flash look really appealing.

That's cool! Really nice graphics on that racing game. Though I really like that WebGL doesn't require any plugin or software to run. On the other hand, not many browsers support it yet.
Offline xinaesthetic

« Reply #56 - Posted 2010-10-26 16:44:42 »

I find it hard to believe it will be significantly difficult to keep going with a Java development environment on Mac, one way or another...

However, if the Java experience for end users gets even worse than it already is, then the value of producing games in it is seriously compromised.  Actually, I've always found it annoying that Java on the mac tends to be behind and that the version is tied to which version of the OS the user has.

I hope that a solid JVM will emerge and that it will be seamless for average users... but even if that is the case, with people like Jobs calling it deprecated I can easily see desktop Java becoming the next RealPlayer.  Not that I was sorry to see the back of RealPlayer, but that's the point: many users I imagine they have exactly the same emotions when they see "that stupid coffee cup" as I used to whenever I had to use RealPlayer.

Interesting about Molehill - I don't know why Adobe didn't do something like that several years ago.

I do also find Apple worse than Microsoft in some ways... but because they're very good at managing their public perception, which MS never really were, they seem to get away with things.  Their 'cool factor' just makes them more creepy and insidious as far as I'm concerned.
Offline markus.borbely

« Reply #57 - Posted 2010-10-27 18:26:03 »

Ahh good.... I really hate Mac. Now I have one more reason to. I had to use one at work for 1.5 years. As soon as I got the chance I switched to a pc with bigger screen for half the price (it also were much more stable). Smiley
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24

One for all!

« Reply #58 - Posted 2010-10-28 14:47:07 »

They also don't have flash on any of their iTouch devices.. Java also don't run of those.
I don't get it.. Those  technologies were made to be cross-platform and a lot of people uses them. ..Time to follow Google I guess - Andriod to the rescue.

f**k shit f**k crap.

As someone who is programming in Obj-C for at least 40 hours a week, I say f**k f**k.

This sucks. The fact that I have to wait at least 5 minutes for compilation and that XCode repeatedly refuses to actually compile all changed resources (as in, it will often think an out-of-date resource is up-to-date, so you get to wait 2 minutes to clean your project before you get to wait 5 minutes) and that sometimes you just have to completely quit and reopen it, and more...

f**k. f**k.

I hate Objective-C.

This is exactly what I wanted to say Sad Just without the "working 40 hours a week with it..".
I find it fun that you have to be on a Mac to develop iTouch applications, and the fact that you have to pay to get the Developer Program by Mac. Instead of charging for that, they should charge 1% of the income on sold applications and make money that way.. *sigh*  Undecided

Offline xinaesthetic

« Reply #59 - Posted 2010-10-28 19:45:01 »

I find it fun that you have to be on a Mac to develop iTouch applications, and the fact that you have to pay to get the Developer Program by Mac. Instead of charging for that, they should charge 1% of the income on sold applications and make money that way.. *sigh*  Undecided
I don't much like it either, but compare it to game console development and the bar is surely much lower (Xbox-LA maybe roughly similar-ish).  They're just making similar 'consumer appliance' type computers for more general purposes.

As for taking a cut, I believe Apple already take 30% on everything sold through the app store, which is of course the only permitted channel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (28 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (25 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (40 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (22 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (38 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (62 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (121 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (221 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (188 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (195 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org