News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  ApoCommando  (Read 3715 times)
Offline Apo
« Posted 2010-10-06 11:53:52 »

Hi,

ApoCommando is a mixture of platforming and keyboard command-controlled gaming. You control a little guy (at the moment Mario =) ) who must make it to the finish at the end of each level. In order to make it there, you'll have to jump, highjump, duck, fire and switch directions, all while the little guy moves forward on his own. The catch? Instead of tapping keys to command the game, you must actually type "jump", "high", "flip", "fire", "duck", "fast", "slow" etc. to interact with the game. The game is under development. 12 special designed levels and infinite number of random levels waiting to be solved. 30 achievements and many stats too. Wink

Applet: Click here

Screenshots:
menu

ingame
Offline steveyO
« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-10-06 13:23:30 »

Very nice, love the concept and well implemented.  I had also thought about doing a similar game but never got round to it.  What could give it an extra spice is not to give all the commands away,  leave a few the player has to work out (similar to the old text adventures in the 1980s), oh.. and and try and add a bit of humour, if someone types in an insult (f*** off, f*** you) maybe insult them back humourously (rather than "Please dont use such words)".  People are childish and will invariably do this (like I did!).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline Apo
« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-10-06 15:11:36 »

Hehe thanks for testing =)

I added some more extra words and some more hidden functions =)
With 'stats' you can see which commands you've typed. =)

I hope you like it. =)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Apo
« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-10-07 14:56:19 »

Now i implemented 3 levels and some achievements and many things more. =)

The levels are too easy? To hard?
Any wishes?
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24
Projects: 3

One for all!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-10-07 22:17:04 »

Worked well. The only thing i can complain about is that I cant type the commands fast enough, while looking at the screen  persecutioncomplex

Offline Apo
« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-10-08 17:22:02 »

... What could give it an extra spice is not to give all the commands away,  leave a few the player has to work out (similar to the old text adventures in the 1980s), oh

Done =) Its a nice idea. Now there are more functions and you know only a few commands. =) If you want to get all 22 achievements you'll have to try it out.

.. and and try and add a bit of humour, if someone types in an insult (f*** off, f*** you) maybe insult them back humourously (rather than "Please dont use such words)".  People are childish and will invariably do this (like I did!).

Done too =)

Worked well. The only thing i can complain about is that I cant type the commands fast enough, while looking at the screen  persecutioncomplex

Now I implement 3 new levels (altogether now 6 levels) and give the player more time to think and type. =) I hope you like it. =) And thanks for testing
Offline markus.borbely

« Reply #6 - Posted 2010-10-08 19:47:21 »

It's actually kind of fun, I didn't think it would be... Smiley
But it is very hard after a while, requiring many retries (at least for me).

I would like less timepressure, and more other challenges. Also, I would like the commands stop and step.

When I am at the pipe with the plant there is no way I can jump and shoot it if I am also going forward. I have to stop. And I wouldn't mind a step command when I have stopped, moving forward just a tiny step.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24
Projects: 3

One for all!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2010-10-08 20:50:19 »

It's actually kind of fun, I didn't think it would be... Smiley
But it is very hard after a while, requiring many retries (at least for me).

I would like less timepressure, and more other challenges. Also, I would like the commands stop and step.

When I am at the pipe with the plant there is no way I can jump and shoot it if I am also going forward. I have to stop. And I wouldn't mind a step command when I have stopped, moving forward just a tiny step.

I second that. Shooting is hard.

Also, I just tried the game again. Love it. Beated it.  Cheesy

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 12

Game Engineer

« Reply #8 - Posted 2010-10-08 21:13:27 »

Very fun. :-) I really like the idea.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline h3ckboy
« Reply #9 - Posted 2010-10-09 09:00:19 »

beat it Smiley took me a while, but I got it, it was annoying cuase I woudl typo hahah.

a thing to keep in mind though is that it is a cmd console, so you can press up to get the last command, which is really useful when jumping all over
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline me

Projects: 4

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2010-10-09 10:24:33 »

Hi Apo,

Nice game!
Please make a TIME OFF command to turn off the timeline !!  Grin

I showed it to my niece and nephew (9 and 10 years) but they had
also a problem with the time.
Do you plan on releasing for different languages?

Best regards from

M.E.

P.S. @h3ckboy .. nice catch on the jumping .. thanks!

M.E.
--------
Offline fruitmaze
« Reply #11 - Posted 2010-10-09 12:31:18 »

Nice idea for a game, and actually quite fun, I was curious to see the next level. I like it. But I miss that I can't hit the moving bar in the end to get more points. Is that something you will add?
Offline Apo
« Reply #12 - Posted 2010-10-09 16:57:32 »

Thanks all for testing!!! I'm really happy. =)
Now there are 3 new levels (a maze, a level with many cannon and a very long level) and I add coins in every level. I hope you like it. =)

If someone dont want to play the old levels and have forgotten the levelcode try 'maze' (thats level 7) Wink

Please make a TIME OFF command to turn off the timeline !!  Grin

I showed it to my niece and nephew (9 and 10 years) but they had
also a problem with the time.

Good idea. I implement now a new difficulty. In difficulty 1 there is no time pressure and the player is slower. Just type "dif 1" in the menu or analysis. The start value is the secodn difficulty.

Do you plan on releasing for different languages?

What languages do you mean? English is good because it has short words for the commands. So every ingame command is max 4 characters long ... in e.g. my motherlanguage german that isnt possible. =)

... But I miss that I can't hit the moving bar in the end to get more points. Is that something you will add?

Good idea. =) Now you get points and an achievement for hitting the bar. =)

Do you try "stop" or "go" ? Wink A step command? You mean if you type step the player will go for 1 tile?
Offline markus.borbely

« Reply #13 - Posted 2010-10-10 11:42:47 »

Do you try "stop" or "go" ? Wink A step command? You mean if you type step the player will go for 1 tile?

Hehe... stupid me. I didn't try them since every second counted with timepressure on.
Yes, that kind of step Smiley
Offline Apo
« Reply #14 - Posted 2010-10-10 22:56:42 »

Your wish is my command. Wink

In the new version there is a hidden command called 'step' Wink
And I removed the duck and a collision detection problem.
Offline Apo
« Reply #15 - Posted 2010-10-11 18:57:24 »

See a walkthrough for the levels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5sG2uXam4 =) and some hidden function =)

I also had a great idea this night. I added some dark levels. If you catch a coin the level will be visible for a short time. After that only the player, the finish and the coins will be visible, all other objects are black. I really love that levels ... =)
Offline Apo
« Reply #16 - Posted 2011-04-16 00:05:05 »

A new version is online!

Whats new?
- a tutorial is added
- more funny and dark levels
- more achievements
- Last but not least I fixed a laggy bug.

I hope you like it.
Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 69
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #17 - Posted 2011-04-16 09:27:14 »

Had some problems with the expert level (was almost small when I came to the last three cannons and they killed me every time Tongue)

Was a very interesting concept, good for people who can type quickly Smiley

mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Apo
« Reply #18 - Posted 2011-04-18 18:47:30 »

Thanks for testing.

Little tip:
If someone has forgotten a levelcode or some level is to hard, type "levelcode" in the menu und u know the levelcode.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print