Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Game Engines?  (Read 18791 times)
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #30 - Posted 2011-02-04 13:24:33 »

A JVM does install on at least one IPhone.  I have seen it and it was in the AppStore for 4.99 for about a year.

It is wrong because such an application would not respect Apple's terms and conditions on its AppStore.

Offline tberthel
« Reply #31 - Posted 2011-02-04 15:45:28 »

Well I don't own a IPhone, but I have seen one run a JVM from the App Store.  The store policies have changed I would guess several times over the years.

Generating Objective-C for some of the libraries I have are fine, but I have not done every library as I am always adding more and don't use Objective-C except for the thrill of making my stuff work on IPhone.

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #32 - Posted 2011-02-04 17:31:07 »

Well I don't own a IPhone, but I have seen one run a JVM from the App Store.  The store policies have changed I would guess several times over the years.
Then give us a pointer. I am in close contact with Oracle and it is still not allowed to put a JVM onto the AppStore despite the recent change in the policies.

Generating Objective-C for some of the libraries I have are fine, but I have not done every library as I am always adding more and don't use Objective-C except for the thrill of making my stuff work on IPhone.
Ok but as I said, XMLVM is a bit broken, Flexycore still requires XCode like MonoTouch.

Concerning Meego, Nokia confirmed that the N900 has no official JVM, the users can install J2SE For Embedded by themselves but it does not completely work, there are some problems of focus and keyboard. That is why I'm still surprised when you say your engine supports IPhone and Meego.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline tberthel
« Reply #33 - Posted 2011-02-04 21:01:55 »

Well I personally tested my games with Moblin/Meego.  So Java worked fine for me on Moblin/Meego except for a sound issue.  I was able to make a work around using a native sound library.

Technically any distribution with Open Office must allow Java.  It is part of the license.

While many of my game libraries work on IPhone and one game did run I do not have it deployed to the Apple AppStore. 

So deployment to a store does not mean it is not available or illegal for some.

Personally, I am not willing to pay for the Apple AppStore anyways.  With my games in 20+ stores for Android, J2ME, and BlackBerry I don't really like the pay to play system.  I may rethink that at some point.  I am still negotiating the approval process for the AppUp store even though I was the first Java games previously approved for Moblin during a competition.  So again working and deployment to a store are not the same.  Yes, I know that Apple are dicks to Java on the IPhone now, and since you are close to Oracle you know that a JVM is real.

BTW, I don't really need J2SE for my stuff to run.  Sub J2ME is the baseline.  I just have add on api's for other crap like sensors and touch and such for specific platforms.

Offline badlogicgames
« Reply #34 - Posted 2011-02-04 22:46:09 »

Any suggestions? Pros/Cons with the different libraries/engines?

Might i suggest to have a look at libgdx? It might well be what you are looking for. Kev also ported Slick to Android via libgdx and it works just fine.

http://www.badlogicgames.com - musings on Android and Java game development
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #35 - Posted 2011-02-07 13:19:26 »

Well I personally tested my games with Moblin/Meego.  So Java worked fine for me on Moblin/Meego except for a sound issue.  I was able to make a work around using a native sound library.
A vendor may decide neither to use PhoneMe nor to pay to get J2SE For Embedded which means that some phones on Meego may have no JVM.

While many of my game libraries work on IPhone and one game did run I do not have it deployed to the Apple AppStore.

So deployment to a store does not mean it is not available or illegal for some.
How do you deploy your games for IPhone without using Apple AppStore? The other legal ways Apple allows are quite restrictive, people can download and install a game from a web site but the author has to pay something for each install...

Yes, I know that Apple are dicks to Java on the IPhone now, and since you are close to Oracle you know that a JVM is real.
Oracle already has even a JVM for the IPod, Sun Microsystems employees already used it with Project Wonderland. There is a difference between having a working JVM and having a JVM that is allowed to be installed Sad

Offline tberthel
« Reply #36 - Posted 2011-02-07 23:21:38 »

If MeeGo has OpenOffice then it must allow the installation of Java, and it does.

You can install anything you want on a device that you purchased.  It is your hardware. You can throw it, kick it, lick it, cuddle it, or other.

Offline CrazyCanuck

Junior Newbie

« Reply #37 - Posted 2011-06-28 05:49:10 »

I see this thread has been inactive for some time, but was hoping to find some updated opinions on the topic.

The 3 that seem to come up the most frequently in my searches are AndEngine, libgdx and Slick-ae. Are these still the top choices, and does one of them stand out more than the others? I've spent a bit of time with AngEngine and it seems to have a fair amont of functionality. The missing docs is a bit of a pain, but they provide a fair number of examples.
Offline namrog84

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 4

Keep programming!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2011-06-28 06:21:21 »

tberthel,

your website allbinary hurts my eyes Sad

I love the 1995 feel to it Smiley

I couldn't find any decent places that talked about your engine there?  Where is more information, aside from what you posted.
the listed link allbinary.appspot.com link didnt work for me

"Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted"
Offline tberthel
« Reply #39 - Posted 2011-06-28 08:52:41 »

http://allbinarygames.appspot.com/

http://allbinarygames.appspot.com/AllBinaryGameDevelopmentKit.jsp

The 3d and multi-player stuff is actually done now.

I created a git hub account a few years ago and a few days ago I actually added a AllBinary Platform project.  So, you will have access to some source and an SDK when I release a custom version of raspberry pi hardware in the coming year.  Probably 2 months after a raspberry pi is in my hands.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline steveyO
« Reply #40 - Posted 2011-06-28 10:43:03 »

Are these still the top choices, and does one of them stand out more than the others?
I made the AndEngine -> libgdx switch a couple of months ago and so far haven't regretted it for 1 second and can't think of a single reason to switch to anything else.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline CrazyCanuck

Junior Newbie

« Reply #41 - Posted 2011-06-28 17:23:38 »

stevyo, thanks for the reply. Can you provide any insight into why you find libgdx so much better?
Offline tberthel
« Reply #42 - Posted 2011-06-28 19:41:49 »

While I don't know it this will take off I am starting to organize my plans around my new game console.

http://www.indiegogo.com/AllBinary-Game-Console-1

Offline steveyO
« Reply #43 - Posted 2011-06-28 21:38:24 »

stevyo, thanks for the reply. Can you provide any insight into why you find libgdx so much better?
There are a few blog posts out there that highlight the differences between the 2 so won't elaborate on these points again (speed, developing on desktop etc).  For me personally I find libgdx less restrictive.  I managed to write 2 puzzle slider type games with AndEngine with no problem but struggled with a more complex game (with complex sprite movements). Was never at ease with the event based model AngEngine uses (give me a main game loop anyday).  When I switched some of the things I was struggling with (multiple screens, camera movement with zoom and velocity) I solved immediately with libgdx and little fuss, and with all my logic in a main loop I had more control over my sprites, game logic etc.  At first wasn't fussed about the desktop deployment (as have tablet which deploys in around 1 second, old htc magic phone was 30seconds so this would have been more an issue) but now am used to it will probably deploy games as applets when finished which is a nice bonus. Also community is excellent (the 1 minor bug I found was fixed in < 2 hours), the main man (Mario) provides excellent daily support (and has written his own book, which is pretty good too and generally inspires confidence).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline jasonbrownlee

Junior Newbie

« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-04-23 06:46:28 »

I've put together a massive list of 2D Android Game Engines that I believe is definitive http://mobilegameengines.com/android/2d_game_engines

I'm sure you will find a game engine that will meet your requirements.

Jason.
Offline Apo
« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-04-23 11:09:27 »

Cool big thanks for the list of Game Engines!
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (20 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (16 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (29 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (14 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (30 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (55 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (112 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (212 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (181 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (187 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:05:20
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org