Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  I'm Married  (Read 8572 times)
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #30 - Posted 2010-07-01 00:10:56 »

to me, the two are different, and I am native american englihs Tongue.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #31 - Posted 2010-07-01 00:33:06 »

Yeah in American English called and cold are very different, but in British English they are pretty much the same.

I don't think that's really a big deal, though, as you'll see plenty of words that have multiple meanings in any language, as well as a lot of homonyms on top of that ("pear" "pare" and "pair" being the most famous English example). So it's not like it's unusual.

But the Brits talk funny, I admit. Smiley

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 145
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #32 - Posted 2010-07-01 05:47:38 »

I really enjoyed the book. The woman and I each had our own copy and read a chapter at a time together. Once you get past the author going on and on about why it is you should listen to him, he has a very scientific approach to relationships. It is all logical and makes perfect sense to me, quite possible because I'm a programmer. Smiley Being able to apply logic to a relationship is pretty fantastic. IMO the book is great for all relationships, regardless of how healthy the relationship currently is. Most of it applies to all relationships too, not just marriages.

I decided about a month ago to get a puppy. Never had a dog before, so I researched the crap out the subject. I've read three dog books, researched breeds, food, training methods, toys, etc. I'm now a freaking dog expert! Sans actually having raised a dog of course -- puppy arrives on Tuesday. Yay!  Cool Anyway, I was just thinking about how much more I've researched things like getting a puppy than understanding females. I think, for the most part, just putting up with them is so damned draining that there is little effort left over.  Wink

I am native american englihs

Classic.  Grin

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Don Kiddick

« Reply #33 - Posted 2010-07-01 10:44:11 »

Called and cold are different in British English too.  Huh
Offline tberthel
« Reply #34 - Posted 2010-07-01 15:23:46 »

Congratz Demonpants

Offline xinaesthetic

Medals: 1

« Reply #35 - Posted 2010-07-01 17:35:24 »

Congratulations indeed.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #36 - Posted 2010-07-01 23:43:48 »

....Riven, I don't really know if this is due to British English / American English differences, but "called" and "cold" sound sensibly different to me....

....to me, the two are different, and I am native american englihs...

I hope so that's your language Smiley, it would be very strange if native english speakers cannot make a difference

probem is more to learn it when it is not your native language and especially how to pronounce words and understand their pronounciation, I had problems to make a real difference for a cupples of words all my life when earing/speaking english.

yes, this one "called/cold" but also "beach/bitch" a bit more embarrassing... and a lot more

sometime when a french guy want to simulate/joke he speaks english he just say something really monotone like "wana wawa yeah", this kind of joke is pretty revelant I think of how it is hard to get english language nuances for french.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #37 - Posted 2010-07-02 00:11:30 »

yes, this one "called/cold" but also "beach/bitch" a bit more embarrassing... and a lot more

sometime when a french guy want to simulate/joke he speaks english he just say something really monotone like "wana wawa yeah", this kind of joke is pretty revelant I think of how it is hard to get english language nuances for french.
I have been saying beach instead of bitch (or vise versa) as a joke for a long time now. "Hey are we going to the bitch?" "Don't be such a beach!" So you can always pretend that you're joking. Smiley

I was party to some French people making fun of how the English language is, and it was just like that! Making fun of the French language is just as fun. "Let's go to the Looooooooooouvreeeeewww..."

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Esoteric Software

« Reply #38 - Posted 2010-07-02 09:12:25 »

Spanish speakers have trouble with beach/bitch because the Spanish i is pronounced like ee.

In Peru they make fun of English by adding "-ation" to the end of words. I make sure to accidentally use Chile instead of Peru whenever possible (rival countries).

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 744
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #39 - Posted 2010-07-02 09:42:12 »

So... then... what about juice/jews?

Well, maybe it's me, and there are very distinct differences, but to me they sound identical. persecutioncomplex

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #40 - Posted 2010-07-02 12:05:40 »

their similar, but not quite identical juice ends more abruptly, jews, kinda like fades out, hahah, Im terrible at explaining pronounciation
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #41 - Posted 2010-07-02 19:09:21 »

Spanish speakers have trouble with beach/bitch because the Spanish i is pronounced like ee.

In Peru they make fun of English by adding "-ation" to the end of words. I make sure to accidentally use Chile instead of Peru whenever possible (rival countries).

Heh that's also true in Portuguese . We love "to english" our portuguese words by adding -ation .

Nate, have u been/going to be in Peru ? I'm there quite often because of some projects I'm working on .

Offline Jono
« Reply #42 - Posted 2010-07-03 09:17:51 »

Haha! An excuse to harp on about accents of English. It's like all my Christmases came at once.  Grin

For beach/bitch, for most accents the pronunciation is similar but not identical (one exception is Australian English where they are exactly the same). They can always be distinguished by the fact that beach has a long vowel and bitch a short vowel.

For juice/Jews, the final consonant of Jews is voiced (so it has a `z' sound rather than an `s'), this tends to make the word longer too.

Pair/Pear are different in most accents. An exception is New Zealand English where they have merged.

Called/cold are have merged in "general American" and in Welsh accented English. They can be distinguished by length though ('called' being longer).
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Esoteric Software

« Reply #43 - Posted 2010-07-03 11:42:47 »

Nate, have u been/going to be in Peru ? I'm there quite often because of some projects I'm working on .

I haven't been down there since 2006, but I've been to Peru 4 times. Mi esposa es Peruana. Smiley I've been to Mancora, Macchu Picchu, and stayed in Lima a lot. Got married in San Isidro in 2006.

In the US, called/cold are very different. It is impossible to say them identically and be right. Also pear/pair are the pronounced exactly the same.

Offline m77

« In padded room »

« Reply #44 - Posted 2010-07-03 19:57:25 »

Demonpants, congrats!
Hey upload pics!
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #45 - Posted 2010-07-03 22:26:02 »

Let the hijack commence...

gnu ~= knew  persecutioncomplex

Stop correcting me.

Offline m77

« In padded room »

« Reply #46 - Posted 2010-07-03 22:50:16 »

Riven, your logo is really funny  Cool
wow and signature is even more!  Cool
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #47 - Posted 2010-07-03 23:54:07 »

I haven't been down there since 2006, but I've been to Peru 4 times. Mi esposa es Peruana. Smiley I've been to Mancora, Macchu Picchu, and stayed in Lima a lot. Got married in San Isidro in 2006.

In the US, called/cold are very different. It is impossible to say them identically and be right. Also pear/pair are the pronounced exactly the same.

I always stay in San Isidro district in Lima. Near the Colegio San Augustin . Tellme if you ever get back there, I'll probably be going to Lima a few more times for next months . Y saludos a tu esposa !

Just to derail this Thread a little more , damn you Riven and your soccer team  Cry

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #48 - Posted 2010-07-03 23:56:14 »

Just to derail this Thread a little more , damn you Riven and your soccer team  Cry

Worst is that I couldn't care less about soccer ~= sucker.

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #49 - Posted 2010-07-04 00:01:10 »

Worst is that I couldn't care less about soccer ~= sucker.

I kinda guessed that given you unsociable nature ( no offense !).
I just wanted to swear at some Dutchman ...

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #50 - Posted 2010-07-04 00:17:08 »

I kinda guessed that given you unsociable nature ( no offense !).
I just wanted to swear at some Dutchman ...

Just to be sure, I meant that soccer and sucker sounded alike, not dropping hints, but yes, regardless of that, supporting soccer, or any sport, requires some social mentality. Associating themselves with these teams, owning their actions, screaming their heads off for no apparent reason, waving with their flags, and whatnot.

I'm sorry 'you' were beaten by 'us', and if you feel better projecting 'brazils' disappointment at 'the dutch', feel free to call me names Smiley and being offensive, saying 'no offense', which I like, as there is no defense against it, and no way to get back at you, like saying... "i don't mean this demeaning, but, how old are you?"...

Oh, demonpants, congrats, again! Already bought the books that are going to keep you happy?

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #51 - Posted 2010-07-04 00:24:43 »

Just to be sure, I meant that soccer and sucker sounded alike, not dropping hints, but yes, regardless of that, supporting soccer, or any sport, requires some social mentality. Associating themselves with these teams, owning their actions, screaming their heads off for no apparent reason, waving with their flags, and whatnot.

I'm sorry 'you' were beaten by 'us', and if you feel better projecting 'brazils' disappointment at 'the dutch', feel free to call me names Smiley and being offensive, saying 'no offense', which I like, as there is no defense against it, and no way to get back at you, like saying... "i don't mean this demeaning, but, how old are you?"...

Oh, demonpants, congrats, again! Already bought the books that are going to keep you happy?

yay it worked ! you got a little pissed ! Smiley

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #52 - Posted 2010-07-04 00:44:34 »

yay it worked ! you got a little pissed ! Smiley

Not quite, but lets' stay ontopic here:

Unlike Demonpants, I'm not married. Damn, I wonder when I'll find somebody that is like me, and then, together, laugh and point at everybody else. Right, like that's going to happen. Then again, if opposites attract it will be a bloodbath, probably. Somebody inform the authorities before it's too late. Thanks.

So while you're depressed and sad, why don't you lighten your mood and relocate to The Netherlands, to be part of the winning team, as opposed to the losers. You won't regret it. The Dutch are so awesome you'll find it hilarious 24/7.

Also, Demonpants, if you like unwieldly long book titles, buy only the cover of this book and wrap it around something else.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #53 - Posted 2010-07-04 02:44:46 »

I will probably never involved myself in such experience but I wish the best for people that do, astonishing idea to read a book to find some marriage answer ?

fortunatly I dont care about soccer  too ... do not watch soccer take drugs that's less dangerous :p

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #54 - Posted 2010-07-05 08:29:31 »

The words succer and soccer don't sound anything alike.

One is su - a - ker

The other is foo - oot - ball

Kev

Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #55 - Posted 2010-07-05 10:02:50 »

Maybe we can split this off into another thread (or two) so to not further hijack Demonpants' topic.
Then we can really start trashing our languages. Wink
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #56 - Posted 2010-07-06 04:18:19 »

Meh I don't care. It's the nature of a conversation to evolve, innit?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #57 - Posted 2010-07-06 06:31:57 »

perfect

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline Evil-Devil

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #58 - Posted 2010-07-19 13:13:42 »

Somehow late, but congrats to this big step =)

@german grammar: I wish it would be that simple like in other languages :/
Offline Alric

Projects: 1

« Reply #59 - Posted 2010-07-19 17:15:39 »

The words succer and soccer don't sound anything alike.

One is su - a - ker

Kev

Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

E.R. Fleming (10 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (4 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (39 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (50 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (42 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (44 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org