Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Chrome Web Store  (Read 10941 times)
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #30 - Posted 2010-12-19 14:53:06 »

Chrome web store shows potential for java indies. The only thing that bugs me, and that's not minor, is this MS attitude now from Google: you have to use THEIR browser to use the store. Where are you going with Google? To yet another supremacy?

Offline gouessej
« Reply #31 - Posted 2010-12-19 15:01:35 »

and you can add games that use Java Web Start  Grin

nice, but better to use something like Getdown, much more reliable (Puzzle Pirates uses it).
All my build system is based on Java Web Start. In the near future, I plan to build silly RPM and DEB packages that only contains a .desktop file (copied on the desktop with a post-installation script) that contains a command to launch the game with ... Java Web Start. Using another installer is not a trivial change.

Chrome web store shows potential for java indies. The only thing that bugs me, and that's not minor, is this MS attitude now from Google: you have to use THEIR browser to use the store. Where are you going with Google? To yet another supremacy?
You're right, it is a bit stupid but then Google should not have called it Chrome Web Store.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #32 - Posted 2010-12-19 16:27:34 »

Java Web Start does not work on Chrome Web Store because of this bug:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=10877

Cry

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #33 - Posted 2010-12-19 17:05:24 »

Java Web Start does not work on Chrome Web Store because of this bug:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=10877

Cry

JWS has always been pretty buggy like that, many times the jnlp will just download or even open up as a text file in the browser, especially on linux.

As for Chrome not starting jnlp files but downloading them, its been like that for a long time, it might even be intentional. Also you'll note that jnlp applets don't work properly either on Chrome. So your alternatives are to use either a java applet (just the applet tag not jnlp) or something like Getdown if you want to launch desktop applications. Its really not that difficult to switch over from JWS.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #34 - Posted 2010-12-19 17:22:02 »

JWS has always been pretty buggy like that, many times the jnlp will just download or even open up as a text file in the browser, especially on linux.
It is not a bug of Java Web Start, it is a bug of Chrome. On Linux, when I open a JNLP file with Konqueror, Dolphin, Firefox, etc... it launches Java Web Start except in one case : when Chrome asks Konqueror to open the JNLP file. Therefore it is an intentional bug of Chrome, even this workaround does not work in my case:
http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000354.htm

I have paid to be allowed to upload my application on Chrome Web Store, Google has to fix this bug as soon as possible, I won't give up.

Edit.: it should be visible now:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kdbbikdpnpikpmlfaadahcekdnkigona

Offline gouessej
« Reply #35 - Posted 2010-12-19 20:36:46 »

Unfortunately I think it is difficult to find games that are not "featured". When you register a game, you can only choose a the category "Games" and suggest additional categories by using tags but submitted games are not correctly sorted in the sub-categories that appear on this web store. For example, TUER could appear in "Arcade & Action", it doesn't. Therefore, the most visible games are in the "popular" and in the "featured" sections. It would be really better if we could at least put our games into these sub-categories because the "popular" sections in the "games" section contain all games...

Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #36 - Posted 2010-12-20 10:13:48 »

Well if you must run TUER with java web start, one solution I can think of is running a small signed applet which starts the javaws executable with a url to the jnlp file.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #37 - Posted 2010-12-20 10:55:52 »

Hi!

Well if you must run TUER with java web start, one solution I can think of is running a small signed applet which starts the javaws executable with a url to the jnlp file.
It is a good idea and I have enough info and permissions when executing a signed Java applet to do this.

I have found another solution: fixing this bug in Chrome/Chromium myself to help the whole Java community and I think it is there:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/net/base/mime_util.cc?view=markup

Java rocks  Grin

Offline gouessej
« Reply #38 - Posted 2010-12-23 10:12:04 »

Hi!

I have committed my fix for Chrome and Chromium but I have received a strange answer from one of the reviewers:
I'll be considering this change from a security perspective. JNLP files can be
dangerous, so any changes here must be done carefully.

The first problem I think you'll run into is that "JNLP" is on the "dangerous
file type" list.

Don't worry, I will defend Java. I'm not Santa Claus but this bug fix would be a nice present for the whole community. I won't give up. Google should not harm us and uses the security as an argument.

Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #39 - Posted 2010-12-23 10:17:23 »

Well you can't blame them, the recent driveby java hack that was publicised on most of the major tech news sites was a jnlp/javascript hack and because they don't work on Chrome it wasn't vulnerable.

But yeh overall the java sandbox has been a pretty good.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #40 - Posted 2010-12-23 10:51:24 »

Well you can't blame them, the recent driveby java hack that was publicised on most of the major tech news sites was a jnlp/javascript hack and because they don't work on Chrome it wasn't vulnerable.

But yeh overall the java sandbox has been a pretty good.
I can blame them because you cannot harm all Java developers only because a few people use Java for hacking and as you say, the Java sandbox is fine. This hack was identified as a hack of Java, not a hack in any browser. Chrome looks very silly when someone tries to launch an application using Java Web Start and the JNLP file is only downloaded without installing anything.

Edit.: Flash is better supported than Java whereas it has had critical faults even recently in Juny.

Edit.2: Thank you, you have given me another argument to defend Java  Grin

Offline gouessej
« Reply #41 - Posted 2010-12-25 17:01:26 »

hello everyone.... im new here in this forum, why u are against java?Huh
I'm not against Java. Sorry for my bad English. I explained that I have had to defend the possibility of launching Java Web Start applications from Google Chrome.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 793
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #42 - Posted 2010-12-25 22:20:23 »

It was a spammer... he had spam links in his signature... apparently my anti spam measures still aren't perfect, or we are dealing with human spammers...

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #43 - Posted 2011-01-03 15:59:37 »

So, I`ve been watching that store for a few week now and honestly I now thinks it sucks, at least for games. This store favors only some games; newest additions never show up. New games stay invisible unless someone do a search with some relevant keywords. So, why would I pay 5$ to Google? gouessej, what`s your feedback so far about TUER in the store?

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #44 - Posted 2011-01-03 18:33:44 »

Anyone here published a game on the store? Any comment?

Offline gouessej
« Reply #45 - Posted 2011-01-04 09:55:48 »

Hi!

So, I`ve been watching that store for a few week now and honestly I now thinks it sucks, at least for games. This store favors only some games; newest additions never show up. New games stay invisible unless someone do a search with some relevant keywords. So, why would I pay 5$ to Google? gouessej, what`s your feedback so far about TUER in the store?
Actually I agree with you. Games of big corporations (Electronic Arts, ...) are ALWAYS featured and get much more visibility than others. Even crappy broken FPS are more visible than mine, I remember that Orange FPS that uses a broken Python installer is more visible. It is extremely difficult to get some visibility in the "popular games" section and my bug fix for Chrome has not yet been integrated. Some people complain when the installation pack that you provide is only a link to another website.

As Chrome has some problems with applets (especially those using the Java Deployment Toolkit), I don't advise any developer using applets to pay 5 $ to Google for this and I won't spend anytime in improving applet support in Chrome/Chromium.

TUER has a small increasing number of weekly users thanks to Chrome Web Store but I don't know whether it is worth paying 5$. I would have obtained the same result by putting another video on Youtube for free. Chrome Web Store will become more interesting when Chrome OS is publicly available but I know nothing about its Java support.

Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #46 - Posted 2011-01-04 10:10:43 »

Chrome Web Store will become more interesting when Chrome OS is publicly available but I know nothing about its Java support.

The current ChromeOS releases do not have Java included by default (they do have flash though). Since its based on Ubuntu its possible to install Java on it and does work fine but the installation procedure is probably too difficult for most users. With the recent litigation between Google and Oracle its unlikely Java will be included with the final release of ChromeOS.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #47 - Posted 2011-01-04 12:39:49 »

The current ChromeOS releases do not have Java included by default (they do have flash though). Since its based on Ubuntu its possible to install Java on it and does work fine but the installation procedure is probably too difficult for most users. With the recent litigation between Google and Oracle its unlikely Java will be included with the final release of ChromeOS.
OpenJDK is not difficult to install on Ubuntu, it is well packaged, it is easily installable with Synaptic. In my humble opinion, whatever Google does, Chrome OS users will install Java.

Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #48 - Posted 2011-01-04 13:38:11 »

OpenJDK is not difficult to install on Ubuntu, it is well packaged, it is easily installable with Synaptic. In my humble opinion, whatever Google does, Chrome OS users will install Java.

even though ChromeOS is based on Ubuntu it doesn't come with synaptic or even gnome. You've got to install java through a command line interface (apt-get), which isn't suitable for everyone.
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #49 - Posted 2011-01-04 14:04:30 »

Actually I agree with you. Games of big corporations (Electronic Arts, ...) are ALWAYS featured and get much more visibility than others. Even crappy broken FPS are more visible than mine, I remember that Orange FPS that uses a broken Python installer is more visible. It is extremely difficult to get some visibility in the "popular games" section and my bug fix for Chrome has not yet been integrated. Some people complain when the installation pack that you provide is only a link to another website.
I can`t figure out how that chrome store can survive and not have too much complaints from developers if Google doesn`t want to give visibility to new apps/games. This simply doesn`t make sense to me. I have the impression that the store is just a first version that will evolve for the better otherwise I can`t see how Google can have a strong adoption.

BTW kappa, I love your forum icon! Really cool!

Offline gouessej
« Reply #50 - Posted 2011-01-04 14:48:07 »

even though ChromeOS is based on Ubuntu it doesn't come with synaptic or even gnome. You've got to install java through a command line interface (apt-get), which isn't suitable for everyone.
I cross my fingers, I hope we will find a more suitable way of installing Java on Chrome OS or you will be right.

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #51 - Posted 2011-01-04 16:02:29 »

AFAIK I have never met a non-developer who has installed Java (JDK or JRE) on any OS.

I personally think Java will probably make it into ChromeOS, maybe in a year or so. But tbh I don't think it would harm ChromeOS in any way if it didn't make it as I would expect very few users would be affected.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #52 - Posted 2011-02-07 12:23:23 »

Google has removed one of my answers to a user who complained about the install process, I quoted a bug report of Chrome/Chromium in my reply. Google has a very personal vision of the freedom of expression.

Offline BatKid

Senior Newbie

« Reply #53 - Posted 2011-02-12 00:13:35 »

AFAIK I have never met a non-developer who has installed Java (JDK or JRE) on any OS.

I personally think Java will probably make it into ChromeOS, maybe in a year or so. But tbh I don't think it would harm ChromeOS in any way if it didn't make it as I would expect very few users would be affected.

That's the main problem with Java on the desktop, unless it is packaged with the OS, it will always be an uphill battle.

Learn Java in 3D with env3d
Offline gouessej
« Reply #54 - Posted 2011-02-14 12:49:52 »

That's the main problem with Java on the desktop, unless it is packaged with the OS, it will always be an uphill battle.
It is a bit exagerated as lots of desktop computers have some Java support.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #55 - Posted 2011-02-15 20:53:33 »

Shocked  Huh

Offline gwoptics

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #56 - Posted 2011-02-19 17:05:53 »

I don't know whether the web store will ever work like a 'proper' app store but it could be an nice way to advertise a web-page based game. Pity that it requires people to use Chrome to `install' the app, even if that means just showing a webpage.

Andreas

http://www.gwoptics.org - news and games about gravitational waves
http://twitter.com/gwoptics
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #57 - Posted 2011-02-19 17:25:33 »

Is there an effective way to complain to Google about the store?

Offline gwoptics

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #58 - Posted 2011-02-20 05:44:27 »

Well, there is the forum: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-apps/topics
I have not tried that but anyway, I have not seen Google having an open door for direct user feedback for their products.

Andreas

http://www.gwoptics.org - news and games about gravitational waves
http://twitter.com/gwoptics
Offline gouessej
« Reply #59 - Posted 2011-02-24 15:59:16 »

My daily users count has more than doubled in less than one month  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (21 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (55 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (65 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (32 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (54 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (24 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (30 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (28 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (36 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org