Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (576)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The Chipped Dagger 2D MMO -- Alpha Testing  (Read 9270 times)
Offline donmc

Junior Duke

Projects: 1

« Reply #30 - Posted 2010-06-04 19:21:01 »

This is very good.

Suggestions:
 - More advanced walking, so it looks just a bit better without losing the retro style. Kind of like pokemon actually, with 1 spirte less or something.
 - Get rid of the java components. It looks and feel more like a game if you make a set gameframe.
 - Maybe polish the world a bit more, it is recocnize things from others.
 - And please add a map so we can see where we are  Cool

thanks for the reply Masochist.

-I'm assuming you mean walking animations?  Eventually this would be nice to add, but for the moment at least i'm really concentrating on the core gameplay functionality.
-by get rid of the java components are you referring to the metal look & feel?  One of the first things I did was try out the synthetica L&F because it's supposedly "easy" to make your own L&F.  The first two things that struck me about it was it's poor performance especially related to my custom tooltips which use the glasspane.  Secondly their idea of "easy" isn't anywhere close to what I would call easy.  Eventually i'll probably extend the basic L&F to do what I want, but for now i'll work on the gameplay instead.  It does annoy me that I cannot even do simple things like change the titlebar color of a JInternalFrame without jumping through a bunch of hoops. /boggle
-polish is coming slowly to the world.  The terrain tiles are being fleshed out and the world editors are making it a more interesting place to be. Smiley
-mini map is on my todo list!

build 125 patch notes:
[bugfix] dagger was listed twice in copper golem lore window.
[bugfix] resolved issue where kill rights could be granted even in no security areas
[change] reduced number of uses for coin recipes
[change] lowered ore requirements for coin recipes
[change] higher level monsters now have a better chance of dropping essences (especially beholders and above to help compensate for their difficulty)
[change] it now costs fewer essences to increase health & stamina (the increases now comes at every +20 instead of every +10)
[change] increased health/stamina potion recipe drop rate
[change] decreased health/stamina potion recipe number of uses
[change] decreased teleportation potion drop rates for beholders
[change] increased deathward potion drop rates for ancient ents
[change] increased chance to get a teleportation/deathward recipe
[change] reduced teleportation/death ward potion recipe max uses
[change] pressing the esc key returns focus to the map
[bugfix] minor lore typos
[bugfix] performing a spit stack on a full bag item would cause the bag to become unusable
[bugfix] resolved issue where splitting a stack inside a corpse could result in a loss of the new stack on rare occassions
[change] corpse/bag/bank/reclamation center windows are now brought to the front when the window contents are refreshed
[bugfix] resolved an issue where a rare chain of events could strip the ownership flag from items stored inside bags rendering them invisible to the owner
[change] some serverside changes for better long-term item tracking
[change] new players cannot attack other players until they aquire at least 10 karma (karma bonuses from items do not count toward this total)
[added] minimalist "jump to page" feature in the market
[added] page up/page down can now be used to navigate market pages
[change] double clicking on the same item stack now repeatedly activates the item. For example you can now continue double clicking on a stack of potions and every second click will use an additional potion.
[feature] inventory hotkeys are now setup by default for new players
[bugfix] resolved issue where it was possible to manipulate items inside corpses from another dungeon
[feature] players now receive an event log message when entering a crevasse denoting how many monsters are inside
[feature] players now receive an event log when the last monster in a crevasse
Offline zoto

Senior Duke

Medals: 4

« Reply #31 - Posted 2010-06-04 19:56:47 »

I noticed a problem with the way the rules are setup. Currently a person can follow you around stealing loot off your corpses. There is no way I can think of to defend against this besides just logging till they get bored of it, as attacking/killing them would destroy my karma.

Items:
make it so dragging an item to an occupied inventory slot swaps the items.
make it so auto equipping an item works, currently the picture of the body is a lot of wasted space.

It was a fun game overall and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

*Edit:
I forgot to mention I found a bug where bags didn't redraw after you used an essence reclaimer or trade skill house.
And I agree there is a real need for a mini map.
Offline donmc

Junior Duke

Projects: 1

« Reply #32 - Posted 2010-06-05 20:53:22 »

I noticed a problem with the way the rules are setup. Currently a person can follow you around stealing loot off your corpses. There is no way I can think of to defend against this besides just logging till they get bored of it, as attacking/killing them would destroy my karma.

Items:
make it so dragging an item to an occupied inventory slot swaps the items.
make it so auto equipping an item works, currently the picture of the body is a lot of wasted space.

It was a fun game overall and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

*Edit:
I forgot to mention I found a bug where bags didn't redraw after you used an essence reclaimer or trade skill house.
And I agree there is a real need for a mini map.

Heya zoto,

I hadn't thought of that player tactic before.  You already noted one possible counter.  You could stab them in the eye, or you could lead them into a no security zone then stab them in the eye, or you could use a teleport potion to depart the area and adventure elsewhere. The world is large enough that they would waste lots of time trying to find you again.  I can see a possible issue with veteran players "baiting" new players by ninja looting monster corpses in an attempt to provoke them to pvp.  I'll have to do some thinking about good counters.  Thanks for pointing it out!

Double click to equip is an often asked for feature and it is on my todo list.  I really should get that ingame since so many players want it.

The issue with bag contents when reclaiming essences is indeed a bug.  Thanks for pointing that out as well. Smiley

build 126:
[bugfix] context menu for bags located inside banks lacked an "Open" option
[change] removed some of the higher end mobs from spawning as WEMS because they are currently unkillable by players (there's a rebalancing coming that should resolve this issue)
[change] monsters will now retarget less often than before. This should allow for more strategic fighting when players are fighting in groups.
[change] the 3 existing world event monsters had their damage reduced so they can be killed. New ones that spawn should be killable by players
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #33 - Posted 2010-07-05 22:07:59 »

Downloaded it.  Tried to login, nothing happens.  12 packets sent.  0 packets received.

Oh well.
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (43 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (33 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (26 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (30 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (60 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (60 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (66 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (80 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org