1) The game must be 40x30 or 30x40 pixels in size or a nearest neighbour integer scaled up version.
2) The game can only use a maximum of 16 colours for any single frame chosen from the 64 colours of the EGA
3) The game must be deployed as an applet.
4) The game must run in the standard Java applet sandbox without triggering any security exceptions.
5) Must be a playable game not just a demo/video.
6) Target JRE is 1.5+
Not strictly required but in the interest of trying to get all the entries on a single screen it would be nice if:
1) Display a title screen with click to begin followed by requestFocusInWindow().
2) Be able to handle any applet container size with integer pixel scaling to fill the required space.
3) Monitor focus and pause the game and any audio when focus is lost.
4) Have all resources bundled into a single jar file.
5) Instructions if needed should be provided in game.
Contest ends at midnight (GMT) 31 August 2010, no formal judging at this stage but we may have a forum poll or possibly get some judges before the end.
Anything I've left out?