I saw the example images posted by ShannonSmith and decided to go with a RPG game.
I have some basic ideas for the gameplay, like:
- Collecting gold coins (or maybe ores like gold, silver, copper...)
- Killing ugly pixel animals
I'll make the map continuous by walking towards the edge. When the torso pixel (dark red) hits the edge it will switch to the bordering map. I originally planned on adding scrolling but I felt that would be too jerky since I can't use actual pixels to smooth it. It's all 8x8 or whatever zoom level is set.
I can't really decide on 4x or 8x zoom. It's playable at either levels but I don't want to make it impossible to see (like if it were actually 40x30
- EGA color class (feel free to use/improve it: http://pastie.org/916717)
- Rendering with variable zoom (so map building isn't difficult)
- Visual palette and pencil coloring (works like MS Paint)
- Map saving/loading (testing only; will be replaced with a better system soon)
- Cleaned up EGA colors