Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Android Market vs. other markets?  (Read 1975 times)
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Posted 2010-04-13 20:45:02 »

I have my games published in the Android Market where things go pretty well. I also published one application in Handango mainly to give people a chance to buy the game in countries where paid apps are not available in the Android Market. Handango sales are pretty low. Also, the developer interface is a joke.

I get an email to publish in other 3rd party markets every other week but haven't done anything about that yet. Is it worth the time? If yes, what's a good place to publish applications in addition to the Android Market?

Also, did anyone try to port their apps to J2ME/Symbian? If yes, how do downloads compare?

Offline strategy

Projects: 1

« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-04-13 23:27:05 »

The only other place I've published the game so far is SlideME, and only because I was asked to do so by someone on a forum. Downloads there are not bad though - about 10% compared of the numbers I see on the Market. Don't know how those numbers would be for a for-pay application though; since us non-privileged can't sell games on the Market and the copy protection in Android is a joke, I haven't had much interest in trying this out.

Offline Ranger
« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-04-14 00:00:02 »

copy protection in Android is a joke
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a rooted phone, you can get around the copy protection, however, if you don't, you can't.  So it stops people buying the game, backing it up, returning it (getting a refund), and then restoring the game from the backup.

Anyway, I haven't tried any of the other markets, simply because, AFAIK, they don't offer copy protection.  Although, maybe they don't offer refunds as well (which would be a good thing)?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-04-14 00:17:50 »

How about porting an application to non-Android stores, e.g. Ovi? Any idea how downloads compare?

Offline polyclef

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-04-14 15:16:06 »

When I first started publishing Android apps last year, I tried to publish in as many 3rd-party markets as I could find. I was also approached by resellers in Japan and India. So far I haven't seen a dime from any of these sources (sales are either non-existent or so low that I can't meet the payout threshold). Besides, it's time-consuming to submit to other portals because they all have different requirements and standards. You can spend a significant amount of time creating or resizing icons and screenshots, rewriting descriptions, and going through 7 pages of choices just to upload a single app (and I've got tons of apps).

In the end it just isn't worth my while, so I stick with the Android Market, though which I'm doing pretty well.

If you have a single, high-demand app, it might be worth your while to distribute it through 3rd-party markets, or if you have a niche game, like an adult game, you'd probably want to distribute through MiKandi (although I'm not impressed with their implementation to date).

I'd love to see 3rd-party markets take off, but for paid apps they've been a bust for me. I'd like to hear accounts of more experiences, though.

<a href="http://polyclefsoftware.com/">Polyclef Software</a>
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-04-14 15:32:54 »

The only other place I've published the game so far is SlideME, and only because I was asked to do so by someone on a forum. Downloads there are not bad though - about 10% compared of the numbers I see on the Market. Don't know how those numbers would be for a for-pay application though; since us non-privileged can't sell games on the Market and the copy protection in Android is a joke, I haven't had much interest in trying this out.

I'm on the exact same situation as you .
Since I can't upload paid applications, and all my "revenue" comes from ads, I just upload them to slideme.org apart from Android Market .
The download rates are roughly the same as you stated : 10% of the Android market .

I recently got an e mail from appslib.com (which is a market directed to their device , the Archos 5) "inviting" me to post my apps there, and I gave it a shot . I got 5% of the Android Market downloads, but as polyclef noted, I don't know if it's worth the time . I spent like 4 hours changing my code to adapt it to their device, and I still have to create a different AndroidManifest for them, because of some dpi issues .

I think my case and strategy's case is worth to post it on SlideMe.org . As for polyclef who already has some successfull apps, and also can post paid apps, I dont think it's worth the time, since you will NOT get 10% of the hundreds of thousands of downloads you have in the Market .

Anyway, apart from SlideME.org, I don't know any other market worth the effort to upload my games .

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (14 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (32 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (42 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org