Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (592)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
  ignore  |  Print  
  Revenge of the Titans  (Read 88410 times)
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #300 - Posted 2010-11-01 12:12:27 »

However, I received about 60 support emails concerning curiosities about Linux (one of which was my fault technically, but which passed just fine on OpenJDK and failed on Oracle). The amount of support from Linux is pretty disproportionate, and indeed, if this were a business (which it is - hah!) and I had to employ someone to take care of the support, we'd literally not have made a penny on Linux sales because of the myriad little hassles that Webstart and Java have.

Well the main issue here is how crappy Java Webstart is, why not just treat linux users like you do on mac and windows, as mentioned above by delt0r, that is provide a downloadable bundle. Pretty easy to just create an executable batch file (and if needed include your own jre), it worked out pretty well for Tribal Trouble.

You could also just use something like the openSUSE build service which will automatically create packages for all the major distributions.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 422
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #301 - Posted 2010-11-01 12:18:40 »

What's wrong with unpack and play is that the newer breed of Linux users, including myself, just want stuff that works like it does on other operating systems, not stuff that requires brain power. Ubuntu is slowly coming around to this idea. Mac is even walling itself off to anything remotely resembling an ordinary PC with its app store. The world wants simple! And so do I for that matter. So unpack ain't going to work - I need to install using some sort of crazy Linux installation thing.

Cas Smiley

Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Medals: 29
Exp: 18 years

Computers can do that?

« Reply #302 - Posted 2010-11-01 12:30:03 »

Installers that ask for passwords and ask about 10 other questions *are not simpler* than unpack and run. In fact they are more complicated. All mac/windows users I have ever encountered know how to double click a zip file, unpack and run. But these same people have asked for my help with install shield  crap.

All current Linux package managers need root and install globally. This is not what a game should ever do IMO (i don't have root for my work machines for example, but can install quake/ET). Of course a simple script that asks what directory to put it into and then kde/gname link would be easy enough.

However its your game. As a hard core linux fan who no longer even boots to windows, I understand why its going to be a long time before games come to linux properly. And even then, I probably won't be running that distro.

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.--Albert Einstein
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #303 - Posted 2010-11-01 13:12:42 »

Definitely, it shouldn't need root, but surely there's some sort of instally thing for Linux that can be used to just install things for the current user? I mean, all it has to do is put an icon and shortcut in some menus here and there and unzip some stuff to a directory in the user's home directory somewhere. Reliably on several Linux flavours running Gnome Desktop.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #304 - Posted 2010-11-01 13:14:07 »

(BTW, being a linux and Java expert - you have probably figured out all you need to do to make your own is to download the resources referenced in the jnlp file, unzip the ones in the native section, and make a shellscript that calls java -cp <all the jars> etc)

Cas Smiley

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 55

« Reply #305 - Posted 2010-11-01 13:33:28 »

The world wants simple! And so do I for that matter. So unpack ain't going to work - I need to install using some sort of crazy Linux installation thing.

While you are right in your argumentation, I really hate to be forced to use an installer (Windows JDK installation anyone!!!) when I am perfectly capable to download and unpack stuff myself. So a multiplatform ZIP distribution with a windows batch and *nix shell skript is IMHO mandatory - just make it an "on your own risk" option and make clear that you can't offer any support for it.

As for installers - I have no own experience, but on freshmeat there are multiple options. Unfortunately the most promising ones are commercial. Nearly affortable is JExpress (http://denova.com/). For  free alternatives, take a look at http://izpack.org/ and http://www.installjammer.com/

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2
Exp: 14 years

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #306 - Posted 2010-11-01 15:17:25 »

Ever look at LzPack for Linux?

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #307 - Posted 2010-11-02 21:00:31 »

Just (finally) tried it, and actually pre-ordered Smiley
It works just great here on Ubuntu, running Compiz with wobbly windows and everything (on an ATI card no less).

My very first impressions:
* In the first few levels, the enemies didn't have a chance at all (they hardly even made it to the screen) but I did have to wait a bit until they finally appeared. In fact I had to wait long enough to think the game was waiting for me to do something and I was already doing something wrong...
* Love the polish and typical PuppyGames look & feel.
* I'd change the menus a bit so that it's a bit more "game-y". In my opinion, those buttons on the bottom of the screen made it feel like a boring OS menu bar. Why not have those options right there in the middle of the screen?

Erik

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #308 - Posted 2010-11-03 19:31:28 »

I just brought the $5 pack aswell Tongue I actually thought I was going to get Revenge og the Titans but oh well  Cheesy I still got a lot of awesome games

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #309 - Posted 2010-11-03 19:51:36 »

* In the first few levels, the enemies didn't have a chance at all (they hardly even made it to the screen) but I did have to wait a bit until they finally appeared. In fact I had to wait long enough to think the game was waiting for me to do something and I was already doing something wrong...
The game does wait... until you place your first refinery, or you run out of money to build a refinery. A tip appears explaining this Smiley Should give you time to scope the environment and make some defences before you begin digging.

The Ultrabundle is changing at the weekend... possibly becoming slightly more expensive Smiley

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26

One for all!

« Reply #310 - Posted 2010-11-03 20:37:38 »

The game does wait... until you place your first refinery, or you run out of money to build a refinery. A tip appears explaining this Smiley Should give you time to scope the environment and make some defences before you begin digging.

The Ultrabundle is changing at the weekend... possibly becoming slightly more expensive Smiley

Cas Smiley

Yes! Cheesy Money safed! Whoohoo!

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #311 - Posted 2010-11-07 01:26:22 »

The Ultrabundle is now $6.97! Don't say I didn't warn anyone!
But by means of solace Revenge of the Titans 1.61 is out, and it's got Survival Mode in it! Give it a whirl.

Cas Smiley

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #312 - Posted 2010-12-13 18:35:38 »

Revenge of the Titans is finally finished! Took about 3 years. Sigh.

Also I now finally have a twitter account - princec1234. No idea how to use it or what to do with it yet.

Cas Smiley

Offline DzzD
« Reply #313 - Posted 2010-12-13 19:05:45 »

congrats !

Also I now finally have a twitter account - princec1234. No idea how to use it or what to do with it yet.
I've never understood twitter  Undecided

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 51

I always win!

« Reply #314 - Posted 2010-12-13 19:58:55 »

Cas Smiley

Quite a milestone, defining something as "finished". Congratulations! Smiley

Now, if I only could make half as decent game  Roll Eyes

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #315 - Posted 2010-12-13 20:12:43 »

Congrats, another super polished puppygames game. Just love the talking characters.

Guess its finally worthy to go into the 'Featured Games Section'  Grin

Kindly update your first post to include a screenshot or two and a brief description.

FEATURED.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #316 - Posted 2010-12-13 23:10:25 »

Cas Smiley
I am now following you and tweeted something at you. We should make a new Guild of People With Twitter Who Practically Never Use It!

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Jono
« Reply #317 - Posted 2010-12-14 17:08:26 »

I see that Revenge of the Titans is part of the new Humble Indie Bundle. Nice work! Hopefully this'll get you some more (deserved) exposure.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #318 - Posted 2010-12-14 18:44:38 »

I see that Revenge of the Titans is part of the new Humble Indie Bundle. Nice work! Hopefully this'll get you some more (deserved) exposure.

Oh brilliant,  think its the best out of the lot as the other humble indie games (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium and Osmos) have already mostly peaked.

Too bad the puppygames site is down (really bad time to go down).

edit: its back up now.
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #319 - Posted 2010-12-14 22:05:40 »

Cas Smiley
Congrats! The best game so far, super polished. A joy to play.

Too bad the puppygames site is down (really bad time to go down).
I think it is not a coincidence that Markus Persson did a tweet a few minutes before most of the game sites from the Humble Indie Bundle went down  Grin. I guess that is the thing to do with twitter... I am sure that HIB has gotten attention from many places though.

Isn't it a bit of a gamble to sell a brand new game at "pay what you want"? You game seem like the most valuable of the bunch. Do you all get the same cut if I may ask?

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #320 - Posted 2010-12-14 23:55:52 »

Same cut yes. We are crazy yes.

We are notch-tweetproof now, but not Humble Bundle proof. Our Amazon RDS instance was flattened with 150 simultaneous connections. Then it turns out it was a really n00bish mistake - our latest blog post is displayed on our homepage... hitting the database every time. Doh. So it should be a bit more steady now.

Cas Smiley

Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #321 - Posted 2010-12-15 04:57:34 »

Saw a link to Revenge of the Titans on Slashdot!  You'll probably get a lot of publicity now.  Nice work!

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/12/15/0130257/Humble-Bundle-2-Is-Live
Offline Gudradain
« Reply #322 - Posted 2010-12-15 06:10:23 »

"Revenge of the Titans is doing something very crazy: they are launching their game that they have been working on for quite some time directly into the bundle."

Yea in fact it seems crazy at first but maybe it will work out! I would be interested to see what comes out of it.
Offline pjt33
« Reply #323 - Posted 2010-12-15 10:07:43 »

Saw a link to Revenge of the Titans on Slashdot!
Likewise. If it does as well as the first Humble Bundle, are you going to quit the day-job to work on it full-time?
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #324 - Posted 2010-12-15 10:38:16 »

Well, it looks like sales should be able to surpass 1M$ easily, so it could be a very wise choice. Possibly selling faster than minecraft even (for one week). I think the top contributor is a JGO memeber and an indie fan  Cheesy Good stuff.

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 51

I always win!

« Reply #325 - Posted 2010-12-15 10:49:56 »

Hopefully the sales will go through the roof, so we don't have to wait another 3 years for another puppygame Smiley

You're going to be adding multiplayer into ROTT? I wonder how that will work.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #326 - Posted 2010-12-15 11:57:41 »

I just bought a copy of the Bundle. Probably the best game in it.

You're going to be adding multiplayer into ROTT? I wonder how that will work.
That would be awesome.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #327 - Posted 2010-12-15 12:12:06 »

Nice to see the Ultrabundle (the other 3 puppy games) also still on, with masses of traffic now going to the puppygames sites, its bound to help to sell a few of those too Smiley

Hope you finally make it big this time, you deserve it after all these years Smiley
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 86
Projects: 1

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #328 - Posted 2010-12-15 15:11:40 »

Uhmmm... Markus just bought a copy for 2 THOUSAND dollars? Amazing to see that he's giving something back to the indie community, how much did you get of that prinsec? Smiley

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #329 - Posted 2010-12-15 15:22:10 »

Uhmmm... Markus just bought a copy for 2 THOUSAND dollars? Amazing to see that he's giving something back to the indie community, how much did you get of that prinsec? Smiley

Mike
Ha, that's really cool of him. I'm glad to see he found some good ways to spend all that cash. :-)

See my work:
OTC Software
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Gibbo3771 (12 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (35 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (74 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (52 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (46 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (40 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (66 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (70 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (68 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (83 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org