Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Prince of Java - Pulpcore Prince of Persia like  (Read 6857 times)
Offline provenza24

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Posted 2010-02-08 13:59:17 »

Hi all,

i create this topic to show you my new finished game (but must remain some bugs, notice it if you found one Wink

Just to summarize, I was testing Pulpcore few months ago, which is a framework that allows you to create fast applet for 2D animations/games
In november, first just moving a sprite of the Prince of Persia on the screen, and as i'm a fan of the old game,
i asked myself why not to create mine ... and 3 Months later, i can present you what i've done !

Just some few characteristics :

- name of the Game : Prince of Java (started in November)

- developer : me (a friend help me a little for sprites desing)

- plateform : Java (eclipse + Pulpcore framework)

- In-game keys :

left, up, down, right arrows to move the prince
  shift to make a little step on your right or left (left/right arrow + shift), to hang when you jump or climb down
  control to jump while running, or not moving (just press left/right arrow + control)

escape to go back to menu
  space to see remaining time

- screenshots :

- Link to the game : http://provenza24.free.fr/Prince

If you have remarks, questions on Pulpcore, find a bug, or something to improve gameplay, don't hesitate
my mail is provenza24@hotmail.com

Hope you'll test it Wink
Have a nice day,
Franck
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 145
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-02-08 14:42:14 »

Very, very nice!! Smiley

Offline indexunknown

« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-02-08 15:17:52 »

feels pretty authentic compared to original NES version.  You should definitely find the NES version music and sound effects and add them into the game. Even the animations are very much alike to the original ones, just awesome.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-02-08 15:56:13 »

Haha, cool. And I JUST started prototyping a Prince of Persia 4k game Cheesy

It plays pretty nice and seems to have the same controls as the PC version (unless I'm mistaken?), which I played a lot back in the day.
I did get teleported through a door once, though. :/

Very nice!

(Although those graphics are probably not legal)

Play Minecraft!
Offline Mr. Gol

Medals: 1

« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-02-08 16:27:54 »

Could you please add another key that does the same thing as control? Control+left and control+right are already taken by OS functions, so now I can't jump Smiley
Offline provenza24

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-02-08 16:44:03 »

hi all,

thanx for responses Wink

- i don't know if the sprites of the Prince are illegal, i found it for free on the web, so don't know at all ...
http://www.yoyogames.com/extras/resource/file/san1/244/244/princespriteswb3.gif
all others sprites come from me and a friend who designed it

- i just saw the bug of the gate, in a particular case, if the gate is closing and you jump while running, a very few time you pass throuht it  Undecided i'll try to solve that

- i tried to add music and sound, but finding good sounds is not easy at all, and increases a lot the loading time of the applet due to
their size.
I wanted the applet to be loaded very fastly (the heigh of the applet is 1.2Mega without sounds ...,), so i decided to not
integrate sounds ...

- for keys, maybe i'll change a little the options to let the player defines his own keys
Control is problematic for you, shift can be problematic too ...
(temporarly i added Alt key so you can use now both Alt and Ctrl to jump)

I whish i'll time to make modifications soon

Thanx for comments !
Offline SimonH
« Reply #6 - Posted 2010-02-08 17:54:03 »

- i don't know if the sprites of the Prince are illegal, i found it for free on the web, so don't know at all ...
Um, if you read the text on the spritesheet it says: 'Sprites Copyright Broderbund'  Undecided

People make games and games make people
Offline steveyO
« Reply #7 - Posted 2010-02-08 21:01:11 »

- i tried to add music and sound, but finding good sounds is not easy at all, and increases a lot the loading time of the applet due to their size.
For the music, yeah this is true but pulpcore can play .wav files easily.  You could probably add 3-4 sound effects (~10-20K each) without a significant increase in your resources size + will greatly enhance the game experience.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline DzzD
« Reply #8 - Posted 2010-02-10 18:37:07 »

(Although those graphics are probably not legal)

NB : something that confuse me is that google can display all web image embedded in their web site "via the search image" without carring about copyright, and they made money with that ! world is sometime so strange.... no ?

Great game remake !! and keep your graphics :p , about pulpcore : I really love the seamless of pulpcore => Applet + no popup + nice & smooth graphics and loading , very pleasant to see such a good work !

I did such attempt of clone (just one or two screen... not as much as you !! ) nearly 17 years ago  Cry  time is going on.... anyway I did not reconise the graphics I used, I suppose that there was different graphics depending on platforms mine was looking as below (but with a different player caracter fully white dressed and without hat) :

edit : this one

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #9 - Posted 2010-02-10 20:15:46 »

this is really nice, if it wasn't for the fact there is no sound and doubt over legality of graphics, I'd put this straight in the featured section.

also game doesn't work for me on linux, i'm guess this is most likely a file name case issue. (remember the file system is case sensitive).

get this in the console
Asset not found: ressources/images/font/smallArabian.font.png
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #10 - Posted 2010-02-10 20:21:21 »

this is really nice, if it wasn't for the fact there is no sound and doubt over legality of graphics, I'd put this straight in the featured section.

also game doesn't work for me on linux, i'm guess this is most likely a file name case issue. (remember the file system is case sensitive).

get this in the console
Asset not found: ressources/images/font/smallArabian.font.png

I got this error too in m console but all run fine

Offline Jono
« Reply #11 - Posted 2010-02-10 21:33:12 »

NB : something that confuse me is that google can display all web image embedded in their web site "via the search image" without carring about copyright, and they made money with that ! world is sometime so strange.... no ?
In the US Google has come out clean with "fair use": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_10,_Inc._v._Google_Inc.
In Europe (Belgium, Germany) they've been losing copyright cases: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2008/10/google-loses-tw/
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #12 - Posted 2010-02-10 21:57:52 »

I got this error too in m console but all run fine

ah ok, seems just like a chrome problem then, works fine on firefox.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #13 - Posted 2010-02-10 22:12:06 »

In the US Google has come out clean with "fair use": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_10,_Inc._v._Google_Inc.
In Europe (Belgium, Germany) they've been losing copyright cases: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2008/10/google-loses-tw/
thanks for those precisions  Smiley

EDIT: sorry for being of topic... I recently ear that some news papers was also being "stressed" (dont find another/good word...) by the news module of google as it seems people read the headline their and never go to the website

EDIT: funny that google win invoking a "fair use", seem that google is an expert in looking cool & fair society, probably this is the new way to go for selling / advertise in our new century ...

Offline provenza24

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2010-02-10 22:24:05 »

thanx guys for suggestions !!!

sorry for linux, i don't have linux at home and didn't test the game on it, but i'll try to fix soon the little problem raised with the font to work fine on both system

a lot of people made the same remark about sound, maybe could be fun yes to add musics and sounds, but the search of free sounds takes  a lot of time ...

maybe something great too i started last month but didn"t finish would be to add ennemis and swords fights ...

About the prince sprites, is there a solution for the problem of copyright ? or the only solution is to create my own sprites Huh
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #15 - Posted 2010-02-10 22:27:12 »

You can edit them and change them enough so it's not recognizable ... like replacing his head with a donut or a chipmunk .
it's a lot of work, but probably better than having problems ... or maybe just leave it as it is and focus on the other suggestions here Smiley

Offline DzzD
« Reply #16 - Posted 2010-02-10 22:27:15 »

About the prince sprites, is there a solution for the problem of copyright ? or the only solution is to create my own sprites Huh
say you are cool ... lol

more seriously maybe start by asking the owner (without pointing your game yet)

Offline provenza24

Senior Newbie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2010-02-11 23:16:32 »

hi all,

i made the fix for linux for the font but cant test ....
hope it will work !!

good night !
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #18 - Posted 2010-02-11 23:19:46 »

hi all,

i made the fix for linux for the font but cant test ....
hope it will work !!

good night !

yes, it does work now Smiley
Offline max1238

Projects: 3

« Reply #19 - Posted 2010-02-19 14:13:35 »

A very good game, played before in a simulator. But this is the on  java ... Cheesy
Offline provenza24

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2010-02-24 14:03:56 »

Hi all,

i corrected the bug of the Gate (you won't pass through now when you jump and it's closing), and few other bugs like a transparence pb with columns and the prince, and spikes ...

and for the copyright problem, i had an idea and updated the game in consequence, and now it's sure sprites are not identifable  :

if you have any suggestions to improve that  ...

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (16 views)
2014-08-01 22:53:16

CogWheelz (15 views)
2014-08-01 22:51:43

CopyableCougar4 (18 views)
2014-08-01 19:37:19

CogWheelz (19 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (14 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (36 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (13 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36
Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:19:50

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org