Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Holiday to US and EU  (Read 10768 times)
Offline CommanderKeith
« Posted 2010-01-03 00:19:39 »

Hi,

I'm going on holiday over january and february - US in january and Europe in february! It's very exciting  Cheesy

If anyone wants to meet up for a drink and a chat, I'd be very happy. So far I'm going to San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and New York. I haven't booked the European part of the trip yet.

I'm backpacking on my own, spending about 4 days in each city and staying in hostels. I heard on the news that Europe is particularly freezing.

The last time I went on a big adventure holiday I met up with Adam Martin (blahhblahblah on the forums) in London which was great.

See you soon!   Cool
Keith

Offline SimonH
« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-01-03 02:14:34 »

Hey Keith - If you're thinking of staying anywhere near me I can give you free accom for as long as you want - PM me if req.

People make games and games make people
Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Medals: 27
Exp: 18 years

Computers can do that?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-01-03 10:59:39 »

Well its snowing a little here in Vienna today. But its not that cold -2 or something. Russia is where is gets crazy cold (-25 on a warm day).

We have a spare room. PM me if you are interested, assuming your not some crazy mad dog killer type Smiley  (But be warned, I am a kiwi Wink )

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.--Albert Einstein
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-01-03 12:31:29 »

congratz!! well, it aint THAT cold in europe(except russia of course Wink)
Offline pjt33
« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-01-03 14:12:58 »

congratz!! well, it aint THAT cold in europe(except russia of course Wink)
Yes it is. Here in eastern Spain I'm freezing. The sun's gone behind a cloud and it's only about 16ºC.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-01-03 16:27:30 »

Yes it is. Here in eastern Spain I'm freezing. The sun's gone behind a cloud and it's only about 16ºC.

that is freezing?? I think it is only cold becuase you are in spain Wink. you ever seen snow lol Smiley
Offline pjt33
« Reply #6 - Posted 2010-01-03 16:38:03 »

that is freezing?? I think it is only cold becuase you are in spain Wink. you ever seen snow lol Smiley
I've been mountain-climbing in snow. IIRC I wore 5 layers (2 of them waterproof) on my upper body and two pairs (one of them waterproof) of trousers. And I was still cold.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #7 - Posted 2010-01-03 17:09:38 »

hmm, I must be strange then....

i wore shorts+short sleeves until like november, then pants+short sleeves until like december, then just hoody+pants, until today.... today was first time in coat Tongue
Offline steveyO
« Reply #8 - Posted 2010-01-03 18:20:27 »

Yes it is. Here in eastern Spain I'm freezing.
Where abouts are you?  Am living in Alicante,, there were people swimming yesterday when I went for  a stroll along the beach :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #9 - Posted 2010-01-03 20:13:07 »

I work in San Francisco and live very close by in Berkeley. Maybe we should meet up for coffee or something? What day are you going to be here?

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline pjt33
« Reply #10 - Posted 2010-01-04 00:02:53 »

Where abouts are you?  Am living in Alicante,, there were people swimming yesterday when I went for  a stroll along the beach :-)
I'm just up the coast. Valencia.

Must be tourists. Locals know that it's not the season yet. Wink
Offline steveyO
« Reply #11 - Posted 2010-01-04 00:11:38 »

I'm just up the coast. Valencia.
Cool.. You must be my nearest JGO member.. Was in Valencia last week, nice city.. Much cleaner than here..  Yeah tourists for sure. Probably British   Undecided

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #12 - Posted 2010-01-04 00:44:37 »

I can also probably (depends on the day) meet up in San Fran (live in Mountain View).

I met Demonpants at the Global Game Jam and wouldn't mind catching up with him again. Maybe the three of us can get together for a coffee.

Warning: Also a Kiwi

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #13 - Posted 2010-01-04 15:17:06 »

I can also probably (depends on the day) meet up in San Fran (live in Mountain View).

I met Demonpants at the Global Game Jam and wouldn't mind catching up with him again. Maybe the three of us can get together for a coffee.

Ah, perfect idea. Smiley Maybe the two of us would also be able to talk when not surrounded by a 48h deadline. Cheesy

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #14 - Posted 2010-01-04 15:53:02 »

What an overwhelming response, I'm really looking forward to seeing you all!

Hopefully I can return the favour to any of you when you're in Sydney.

Hey Keith - If you're thinking of staying anywhere near me I can give you free accom for as long as you want - PM me if req.

Fantastic! thanks a lot Simon, I'll definitely come to hebden bridge. And cheers for letting me stay, very generous. It'd be great to do that if it's still convenient for you.

Well its snowing a little here in Vienna today. But its not that cold -2 or something. Russia is where is gets crazy cold (-25 on a warm day).

We have a spare room. PM me if you are interested, assuming your not some crazy mad dog killer type Smiley  (But be warned, I am a kiwi Wink )

Awesome, I planned to visit vienna, it'd be great to meet. And thanks for letting me stay! Maybe Simon will be able to attest that I'm not a mad-dog killer lol   Wink  Hopefully you're not a human-organ merchant  Grin  I'll bring you some vegemite or kiwi snacks if you want  Wink

I work in San Francisco and live very close by in Berkeley. Maybe we should meet up for coffee or something? What day are you going to be here?

Excellent! I'm in San Francisco from midday wednesday the 13th January to midday Sunday 16th January. Any time you're both free I can meet Smiley

Cool.. You must be my nearest JGO member.. Was in Valencia last week, nice city.. Much cleaner than here..  Yeah tourists for sure. Probably British   Undecided

Valencia's beautiful, I like the river that they drained and made a park

Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Computers can do that?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2010-01-04 16:53:49 »

I'll bring you some vegemite or kiwi snacks if you want.
We are on our last jar of Vegemite (much better than Marmite Wink). I haven't been back to NZ for 3 years.

Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #16 - Posted 2010-01-04 17:44:13 »

We are on our last jar of Vegemite (much better than Marmite ). I haven't been back to NZ for 3 years.

Oddly I didn't think I had a preference until I moved over here and my Vegimite ran out. Luckily there are a couple of stores that sell it (and English marmite - which has the consistency of golden syrup). My flatmate is also on his way back from NZ as I post and is under instructions to deliver an industrial sized tub of Vegimite (hopefully wont be confiscated at the border as a chemical weapon).

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #17 - Posted 2010-01-04 17:52:49 »

Any day between the 13th and the 16th would work okay. Preferably we'd do something during lunch hour so that I don't have to come home too late or come in too early. What works for you, Shannon?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline SimonH
« Reply #18 - Posted 2010-01-04 18:30:22 »

I'll definitely come to hebden bridge. And cheers for letting me stay, very generous. It'd be great to do that if it's still convenient for you.
No probs - anytime in feb is fine with me (it'll be a bit colder than NZ though - there's snow here ATM!)

People make games and games make people
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #19 - Posted 2010-01-04 18:56:04 »

My flatmate is also on his way back from NZ as I post and is under instructions to deliver an industrial sized tub of Vegimite (hopefully wont be confiscated at the border as a chemical weapon).

You'll OD on the B vitamins and develop a mutant splinter ability - super-human salt resistance

Any day between the 13th and the 16th would work okay. Preferably we'd do something during lunch hour so that I don't have to come home too late or come in too early. What works for you, Shannon?

Lunch hour will be fine, just let me know what day's convenient. Hopefully shannon's nearby and can make it too  Cool

Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #20 - Posted 2010-01-04 19:04:04 »

Lunch hour will be fine, just let me know what day's convenient. Hopefully shannon's nearby and can make it too

I can't make a lunch hour during a week day, but either Saturday or Sunday would be fine.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #21 - Posted 2010-01-04 19:56:54 »

No probs - anytime in feb is fine with me (it'll be a bit colder than NZ though - there's snow here ATM!)

Sensational! Can't wait. I'll send you a PM as soon as i sort out the flights to england  Cool 

I can't make a lunch hour during a week day, but either Saturday or Sunday would be fine.

Cool, anytime saturday would be fun. On sunday I have to get a flight around midday which might be a stress out. San francisco sounds like a cool city, everyone I talk to about it says it's very chilled out and pretty. And it's got silicon valley! A must see.

By the way, no sweat if you (or anyone) gets too busy and can't make it. It's hard to squeeze random meetings into working life so if your plans fall through, that's fine, no love lost  Cool 

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #22 - Posted 2010-01-04 20:30:12 »

Sensational! Can't wait. I'll send you a PM as soon as i sort out the flights to england  Cool 

Cool, anytime saturday would be fun. On sunday I have to get a flight around midday which might be a stress out. San francisco sounds like a cool city, everyone I talk to about it says it's very chilled out and pretty. And it's got silicon valley! A must see.

By the way, no sweat if you (or anyone) gets too busy and can't make it. It's hard to squeeze random meetings into working life so if your plans fall through, that's fine, no love lost  Cool 
Hm, the 16th  (Saturday) could work for me, also anytime. I just need to have it set up beforehand. I'll need to come up with something else to do in the city that day, though, or it might be sort of random coming into SF for 15 minutes or whatever and then just leaving again. Anyway just give me a time and I'll work something out. Maybe I'll visit a coworker or something afterwards. Smiley

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline pjt33
« Reply #23 - Posted 2010-01-04 22:15:00 »

Valencia's beautiful, I like the river that they drained and made a park
Best part of the city.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #24 - Posted 2010-01-06 01:52:09 »

Hm, the 16th  (Saturday) could work for me, also anytime.

Cool, can't wait! I leave tonight, see you all soon Smiley  Cool

PS: RyanAir is unbelievable, flights around europe for 1 pound www.ryanair.com

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #25 - Posted 2010-01-06 10:27:34 »

yeah, but you can really see that in the performance Wink
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56

Monkey for a head

« Reply #26 - Posted 2010-01-06 11:02:21 »

Except they're not - they rack up the price with hidden costs. They'll charge you for luggage, they'll charge you the carbon tax, they'll charge you to check in, and they'll charge you if you pay with anything other than their 'preferred' card (some super obscure Mastercard variant IIRC). All smallish costs individually but by the end you've paid pretty close to a standard ticket anyway.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline delt0r

JGO Knight

Computers can do that?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2010-01-06 12:12:03 »

They also land at airports more than an hour away from the "listed" destination and usually run the only taxi service into the nearest city. Add to that they now even charge to use the toilet, and that the 1 pound flights may in fact only be 4 seats per plane at 1 pound + lots of extras (any luggage at all --IIRC even carry on). A few friends of mine got stuck when RyneAir canceled a flight due to "fog" at the destination airport, they had people waiting at that airport and it was a perfect day with no wind or cloud.....

I don't use them. I did use skyeurope till they went under. Otherwise German wings and Berlin air are pretty good. Basically if they land at an airport that is properly serviced you can't get shafted too much. But may still charge for any non carry on luggage now (ie German wings does now).

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #28 - Posted 2010-01-06 15:17:11 »

I guess it's not surprising that's too good to be true.

Still, probably better than paying $80 just to fly across California?

This past holiday it cost me $700+ to fly roundtrip from California to Connecticut (pretty much across country).

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline pjt33
« Reply #29 - Posted 2010-01-06 16:45:55 »

Add to that they now even charge to use the toilet
They talked about that but public opinion was too strongly against it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (19 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (54 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (63 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (31 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (53 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (23 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (27 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (26 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (34 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org