Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Action Adventure Game  (Read 1693 times)
Offline WookieeRebel

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2010-01-02 05:57:49 »

Hello.  I've been programming Java for 5+ years.  Mostly low level and student stuff.  I've made a Parcheesi Game and a Side Scroller.  I took a computer graphics class in OpenGl and am thinking about starting a 3D game.  I was thinking of doing a game like KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic).  Obviously not as long or with as good graphics to start.  I would like to stay with Java, but I've read that C++ is the industry standard and this is a game I would like to put on my resume.  I was planning on focusing on procedurally creating quests that would tie into the main quest.  I was wondering if my java implementation would be fast enough to maintain a pretty hefty background processing.  I was planning on using SQLite for the local storage (and MySQL if it ever goes co-op), JOGL, JOAL, and LUA.

Convince me that doing this Java implementation is feasible and a good idea, and I shouldn't jump ship and use C++.  Go!
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 145
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #1 - Posted 2010-01-02 07:06:16 »

Meh. Use C++ if you want. Java has far better tools and development will be speedier. If you aim for a job writing games, you will need C++. Java can get you a job writing enterprise software, which is horrible but pays well. Then you can do you game stuff on the side, like me. Smiley

Java is plenty fast. Speed shouldn't be an issue when choosing between Java and C++. If it ever were a bottleneck for some part of your game, you can call C++ code from Java.

I would recommend H2 for the local storage, LWJGL through JMonkeyEngine or Ardor3D, and Pnuts.

Offline WookieeRebel

Junior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2010-01-02 07:50:25 »

Thanks.  My chief focus is getting something substantial on my resume.  I already know a lot of C++.  I just think C++ is a pain, so I would rather do Java if feasible.  I just want to make sure that my strategy could work.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline pjt33
« Reply #3 - Posted 2010-01-02 20:46:01 »

If you aim for a job writing games, you will need C++.
That's not 100% true. I've been working in the games industry since 2002 and I don't know C++ (and haven't used C since 2002).
Offline elias4444

« Reply #4 - Posted 2010-01-02 23:31:07 »

Soooo..... what are you using then PJT?

As for Wookie's original request: I'm not going to convince you to do anything. Use whatever programming language you feel most comfortable in.

I've probably wasted the last 6 months trying to move over to C++, only to learn that there's no benefit in doing so. LWJGL is more up to date and active that most other libraries out there, and Java gives me cross-platform compatibility without having to maintain multiple codebases. C, C++, Flex, and numerous other languages have their advantages, but I think it all averages out in the end. I even discovered that if your intent is to make games for a mobile device, you'll still have to learn different languages and libraries for each device; so there's no benefit there either.

Offline pjt33
« Reply #5 - Posted 2010-01-03 15:23:14 »

Soooo..... what are you using then PJT?
Java.

Roughly it breaks down as:

Major console/PC games: C++
Minor PC games: whatever the developer prefers
XBox minigames: XNA (typically C#)
Real-time web games: Flash or Java
Turn-based web games: any server-side web language; possibly using AJAX (JavaScript) to update the client
Phones (except iPhone): Java or BREW
iPhone: ObjC

But there are always outliers (e.g. Kev's Java games for iPhone). Then there are speciality platforms like Blu-ray extras (Java); it wouldn't surprise me to learn that next-gen Wii and PS had Java support.
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #6 - Posted 2010-01-03 16:21:24 »

In regards to mainstream games; Java has been used for all of the server side stuff in Star Wars Galaxies. One (or all) of the Law and Order games was written in Java too. I've also heard of developers bundling a JVM with the game which is used to run the game logic. They use it for compiling and reloading their classes at run-time.

Ultimately experience is what people care about most of all. Someone who has built and shipped a game will probably be a better choice then someone who hasn't, regardless of what languages those people know. But if it comes down to that then concepts are what people care about, not languages. A Python programmer who is an expert with OpenGL will be better at writing OpenGL code with C++ then a C++ programmer with no OpenGL knowledge.

However C++ is still one of those languages that generally employers love to see. Your employer would have heard of it, he/she know it's industry standard for games and by some it's still seen as the proper language used by real programmers rather then kiddie stuff like Java or C#.

Offline WookieeRebel

Junior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2010-01-05 01:27:59 »

So for networking on LAN, should I expose the MySQL database to the network or should I wrap it with the client java program, so all requests for data go through the client of the user that started the game?

My plan was to use and sqlite db for local storage (Maybe H2 after I look into it).  When the game starts load the data from the sqlite db into the MySQL db and then broadcast the port number of the MySQL database over the lan so requests can bypass the java program. 

Therefore, each client will have to parse its data requests on its own.  Each client will send data directly to the database instead of through the client of the user that started the game.  Will that be fast enough over LAN or should I always wrap my databases with a client or even not use a database and store everything in the memory of the client?  Thanks for your help.

Just for my curiosity, is there a standard protocol to utilize the processing and graphics power of all the computers connected to the LAN, so that the client of the user that started the game will not have to do all the heavy AI/Economy background code.  Thx.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

ctomni231 (33 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (29 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (24 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (26 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (41 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (43 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (31 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-14 11:51:35

quew8 (29 views)
2014-07-13 13:57:52

SHC (65 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org