Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Developer Questions  (Read 6195 times)
Offline Sueamanu

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2009-11-01 16:35:16 »

Hello, I don't know why im starting this topic but. Smiley
How old you starting programming ?
What is you first programming language ?
What is you favorite programming language ? why ?

Sorry for my bad English (And Subject ?)  language. Smiley
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-11-01 16:54:39 »

10 or 11 cannot remember
basic(justbasic to be exact Wink)
java. It is much more centralized than C++, and it is OOP
Offline broumbroum

« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-11-01 22:25:55 »

7 , basic hello on the screen persecutioncomplex
visual basic
java : taught at Ecole Polytechnique de Lausanne (who substituted for ADA and Lisp as I remember)

::::... :..... :::::: ;;;:::™ b23:production 2006 GNU/GPL @ http://b23prodtm.webhop.info
on sf.net: /projects/sf3jswing
Java (1.6u10 plz) Web Start pool
dev' VODcast[/ur
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline rdcarvallo

Projects: 5
Exp: 15 years

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-11-02 04:56:29 »

I started programming at 18,
Turing, a programming language oriented to teach the basics, very similar to pascal in sintaxis.
my Top 3 favorites are Java, Perl, and C (not C++).
Why Java? Because of the big API included in the SDK (not counting J2EE/J2ME)
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-11-02 12:58:21 »

Eight years old, copying programs from computer magazines, realizing I could probably change them. I could.

BASIC on C64/C128

What is you favorite programming language ?
That would be Java. Cheesy

why ?
It feels relatively "pure" and is very fast to write code in while still being fast.

Play Minecraft!
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-11-02 13:19:30 »

jsut a tip for u Sueamanu, we are all going ot like java the most Tongue, we are on a jaav forum lol.
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-11-02 13:31:25 »

Technically when I was around 7 (maybe younger), but it was all very, very simple stuff in AMOS. Properly I would say when I was 16 with Blitz Basic. However for years before then I had been building things with the RPG Maker which contains most of the concepts needed for programming.
My favourite is probably Ruby, I always enjoyed writing Ruby code. You can write simple perfectly readable lines of code, which are also baffling with power and complexity all the same time. It's one of the few languages where I wrote code solely for the pleasure of writing code.

My other favourite is Java. I hate writing Java code, but I do very much enjoy getting things done. If I wrote my stuff in Ruby I would have no where near as much completed.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-11-02 16:28:40 »

- BASIC + Assembly (all learned through Compute's Gazette!)
- So, I won't go the obvious route with the favorite current language, but one that made a huge impression on me when I was much younger was PASCAL. It was procedural, required you to write structured code/data and, the biggest issue with starting in BASIC, I did not have to worry about running out of line numbers between sets because I didn't leave room  Tongue

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-11-02 16:31:18 »

[...] PASCAL [...]

God, yes, wow. My nostalgia suddenly flared up when I read your reasons for liking it. I had the exact same experience.
I learned the little assembler I know in my Turbo Pascal days, inlining asm for speed and fun.

Play Minecraft!
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-11-02 16:36:17 »

God, yes, wow. My nostalgia suddenly flared up when I read your reasons for liking it. I had the exact same experience.
I learned the little assembler I know in my Turbo Pascal days, inlining asm for speed and fun.

Yeah...moving off of BASIC to PASCAL was really exciting when you started looking at structure, understanding global/local variables in the header, making changes to the vars and seeing the effect instantly in your results across all of your code, etc.  In fact, it is kind of the same "smile" effect when you build complex spreadsheets and see the numbers magically change with variable changes.  *SIGH* good times....

Oh, and the WORST most disgusting "code" to work in? Paradox scripting. Lost a bit of my soul doing that....

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-11-02 16:59:22 »

Started editing/programming games on my older brother's graphing calculator when I was in 6th grade... so I was 11.

The Assembly type language they have on the TI calculators (I was using a TI-81) is what I started on.

Java is obviously my favorite, following that, PHP is probably my favorite. I like Java because of its clear structure, logical variable names and overall organization, and wonderful docs. I like PHP for a lot of the same reasons, but I also just enjoy programming in PHP for whatever reasons.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-11-02 17:10:26 »

Oh, and the WORST most disgusting "code" to work in?

Sadly, C++.
I like the syntax, I like pointers, I REALLY like operator overloading and proper working const variables.
But the split between header files and definition files, forcing you to write code TWICE and with horrible horrible syntax.. Well.. I hate it. A lot.
(Also, it takes ages to compile. It doesn't have to.)

The clean, clearly defined, contained, singly defined (usually) classes in java are wonderful.

Play Minecraft!
Offline rdcarvallo

Projects: 5
Exp: 15 years

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-11-02 20:21:47 »

Sadly, C++.
I like the syntax, I like pointers, I REALLY like operator overloading and proper working const variables.
But the split between header files and definition files, forcing you to write code TWICE and with horrible horrible syntax.. Well.. I hate it. A lot.

The clean, clearly defined, contained, singly defined (usually) classes in java are wonderful.
I'm not very fond of the operator overloading in C++, the other features named are from C, that's the reason for liking C and not C++.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-11-02 22:15:08 »

Sadly, C++.

Just try Objective-C and XCode. You'll want to hammer your own head in. It takes up to 2 minutes to compile my game at this point (because you have to wait for the whole thing to install on the iPhone), plus the language has all the problems you hate plus a whole lot more. It's very difficult to implement private methods, there are wacky inconsistencies with "garbage collection," almost everything is black-boxed, the docs are terrible, XCode is buggy as hell (to the point that you will compile and it sometimes won't even list all the syntax errors in the build results, so you have to go through every source file manually to try to find them, or run the program and have it crash because of a syntax error you weren't informed of!), XCode is practically feature-less (terrible code completion, awful workspace flow, doesn't even organize the damn class files in alphabetical order!), and more, and more.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-11-02 23:11:48 »

Hello, I don't know why im starting this topic but. Smiley

Sorry for my bad English (And Subject ?)  language. Smiley

Basic or Logo - can't remember which was first, but definitely did more in Basic,
Java is my favourite language - fast, clean, easy to refactor, picks up a lot of simple mistakes that can take hours to track down in other languages.

C++ would be my least favourite language as well - it's an utter mess.  There are so many gotchas, it's unbelievable, and coding with a team of C++ coders is a pain.  Someone will want to do everything with templates, someone else will want to do everything with functions, someone else will want a Goldplated OO design with inheritance 20 layers deep and surprise, surprise, none of it will work well together.  Maintaining the C build & link model was a huge mistake, as well.  Classic 'design by committee' language.

Other languages I'm fond of are C and LISP. 
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 145
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-11-03 00:06:39 »

Started at 11 years old with QBasic. Java is my favorite, the tools make it great.

Offline Karmington

Co-op Freak

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-11-07 00:47:54 »

How old you starting programming ?  Around 10-12
What is you first programming language ?  Logo and Basic
What is you favorite programming language ? atm Java but presume I may be forced back to C++

Offline Alric

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-11-07 11:34:15 »

I have no idea how old I was but it was ridiculously young.
I kinda started in BASIC on a ZX81, but properly started on a Spectrum  Grin
Favorite language I wouldn't like to say, but Java would obviously be up there.

inlining asm for speed and fun.
Fond memories  Grin I spent many a computer science class writing a 3D engine in Turbo Pascal/assembler. Maybe I should've been listening  Huh

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 122
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-11-07 12:48:37 »

I'm told I was copy typing code from magazines into a ZX81 when I was 4, but I don't remember of course Smiley Code has always been there (tm).

First programming langauge was BASIC on the ZX81, then on to assembly Z80, then Spectrum and Commodore 64 (with those grand 3 channel sound chips). STOS and AMOS in the 16 bit era. Then TurboPascal, QuickBasic and ASM on the PC. Finally I'm here wasting my life away Smiley

Java is probably my fave language, more through familarity then anything else. I was a fan of Haskell for a while, more recently Ruby (and Rails). In general I don't really care about the language, they're all pretty similar on the code level. It's tools and deployment options that matter.

Kev

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-11-07 13:10:33 »

Started at 8. But not really coding just copying from some books I found in my primary school library. I had an old apple 2C green screen comp that used to be my older brothers. I dont even know what language it was. Basically you would copy pages of code to get a game working.
fun with brun Cheesy

then I guess it was micro worlds. I know its not a programming language but it helped me understand key concepts of OOP. Then finally having my first bash at C++

I guess im also a java fanboy. In all honesty I dont really enjoy programming in any other language, no good reason. Its just that I have found a way to do everything iv wanted in Java.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline woogley
« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-11-07 16:30:18 »

How old were you when you starting programming ?
12 (year 1999)

What was you first programming language ?
Java

ECMAScript (JavaScript, JScript, ActionScript ...)

Why ?
- Mutable objects
- Prototypical inheritance model
- First-class functions
- Closures, anonymous functions
- Loose typing

Java is high on my favorite list but I find JavaScript to be more concise, expressive, and great balance of OOP and functional programming.

Many people avoid JavaScript because of the terrible DOM API, but that isn't really part of the language. Try writing a game using HTML5 Canvas API instead.. good fun, that.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-11-07 20:41:17 »

happy to see we are a cupple to have a similar experience Smiley BASIC / PASCAL / ASM  rocks !

How old were you when you starting programming ?
cant really remember ( probably about 8 (1986) , I also wrote my first game at this period on the CPC464, a prohibition clone (a shot game as you can find nowadays everywhere online in flash), unfortunatly the tape where it was saved is probalby cleared or breaked now Smiley .... but I managed to keep alive a cupple of more recent (on 8086) but pretty old works retrieved from a crashed hard drive, it also include : my first 3D engine ! fully in ASM (1992/1994) wich was improved and ported to Java (3DzzD), a 3 screens prince of persia clone where I replaced the hero by the hero of another game Targan (game remake was one of my favourite hobbies back in 90' years) and a cupple of more ASM & PASCAL demo you can download from http://demo.dzzd.net/PROG.ZIP , this is all I was able to save  Cry, some prog (most ASM) using processor in protected mode requiere to run in a DOS Emulator as the excellent DosBox, a lot should works on XP and .. seems that very few run on Vista....

What was you first programming language ?
BASIC on a green monochrome cpc 464, program was saved on audio tape, also as mentionned above lot of revue was giving 4/5 source code page that you had to type yourself, really nice time

dont really knwow they are differents.
 not in any order I love those : PHP / Java / ASM / JavaScript / C

Offline DzzD
« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-11-07 21:15:38 »

I did not have to worry about running out of line numbers between sets because I didn't leave room 

Smiley I start with 10/20/30 then after falling a lot of time in a "no free line problem" I finally switch to 100/200/300 as every one I guess

Offline gouessej
« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-11-08 12:09:15 »

MS-DOS shell and Basic on TO7 and MO6
Java because:
- it is free of charge (when using only at least J2SE) and free open source (under GPL license)
- it is (almost?) cross-platform ("Write Once, Run Anywhere")
- it is probably one of the fastest high-level languages able to compete with C/C++
- you don't risk prosecutions when using it unlike Mono
- it allows to handle the complexity in a more simple way than C/C++/C# as you rarely have to deallocate the objects by yourself
- good IDEs are available to use it (mainly Netbeans and Eclipse on my view)
- it already contains an embedded profiler (jvisualvm)
- Java Webstart is a bit buggy but quite useful to deploy cross-platform applications, it goes further than Click Once (.NET)
- OpenGL in Java (JOGL, LWJGL) is noticeably faster than in C# (Tao Framework)
- its syntax is close to the C but more simple unlike OCaml, Esterel...
- it is globally backward compatible, you can still launch Java programs written in 1997
- no multiple inheritance
- lol there are too much things to say (thank you Sun Microsystems, what would I do without Java?)

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-11-09 09:28:33 »

I guess I was about 8 or 9 when programmed my first line of code.
It was on a ZX-81 in BASIC, and quite soon I went to ASM. Boy that was something else. A ZX-81 can't actually save binaries, only basic programs. So to program in assembly, you had to poke your code into REM statements. That was something seriously fiddly :-)
In 'the old days' I probably did most programming on an MSX2, where I mostly coded in ASM and sometimes mixed BASIC-ASM. During mid-nineties I didn't program at all.

Right now I mostly develop in java, but also code in C++ in the odd occasion. I quite dislike C++ though, for the same reasons as Markus_Persson.
Despite all its flaws, I still think java feels the cleanest and most consistent and at the same time keeps ok performance. One thing that also kept me with java is the fantastic IDEs and tools. Oh and it pays the bills quite handsomely :-)

I gave C# a serious chance but I still think it's a confused version of java and I quite dislike the overrated VS.net.

Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-11-10 07:55:45 »

Sounds like I fit the same pattern as lots of people here Smiley

I was about 5, copying programs from the BBC Micro magazine in BASIC on my Dads BBC B+. I remember getting a book of programs for children one Christmas to type in. It had mistakes, I'm sure they were intentional Smiley.

Endolf

Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-11-10 07:57:23 »

Smiley I start with 10/20/30 then after falling a lot of time in a "no free line problem" I finally switch to 100/200/300 as every one I guess

I used 10/20/30, I can't remember it now (was too long ago), but there was a command on the BBC that would go through and renumber all your lines of code if you were running low. It didn't update your GOTOs though. Which was always fun Smiley

Endolf

Offline Karmington

Co-op Freak

« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-11-10 09:09:13 »

though I never got into assembler, apple ][ basic had some interesting things one had to figure out, for example if you wanted to make a sprite, you first plotted it on grid paper, then traced it with 4-digit binary commands, then converted those into hexpairs. That took some time to work out as a lickle kid.
lol this is starting to sound like an old-age home.. 'In my day, we had to eat the used punch-cards and wind magnetic tapes by hand. Floppy disks? LUXURY!'

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (17 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (23 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (33 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (43 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org