Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Hellevators - on Android! - RELEASED !  (Read 5601 times)
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

« Posted 2009-10-27 06:21:29 »

hey guys,
I am almost finishing the Android version of Hellevators.
However I am feeling very insecure about it since is my first Android game.

I have tested only on my HTC Hero™, and I would really appreciate if you guys test it on your devices and give me some feedback.
There are some things left to do like some "production" and the instructions page .

The default controls are using the acelerometer and the DPAD click to jump.
The acelerometer can be disabled in the menu.
It is also possible to use the hard keyboard (in case you have one), using the keys O K and ,(comma) to right, jump and left. I really dont know if it will be confortable to play with the hard keyboard, I will be glad if the G1 owners try it out.

Released on market !
under Action/Arcade

Well here is the download link :

http://sites.google.com/site/tacticspompsteronline/Home/Hellevators.apk

http://sites.google.com/site/tacticspompsteronline/Home/Hellevators2a.apk

If you have any comments, suggestion, etc, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-10-27 08:16:58 »

Plays fantastically well here on my Hero, very fun too Smiley

Great stuff!

Kev

Offline Ranger
« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-10-27 08:59:30 »

Goes well on the G1 too.  Good work!

2 small things.
- Needs a wake lock.
- Would be nice if you allowed the screen to rotate when entering your score (as I used the G1's keyboard).
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline steveyO
« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-10-27 09:43:01 »

Just had quick 1 min go on HTC magic (at work will try again later).
Seems to work well (similar movement to Abduction!).. More comments later!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline steveyO
« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-10-27 13:23:19 »

Couple of things, when you start the game the keyboard is always displayed.  Any reason for this?
Wasnt quite sure what you have to do, just collect the diamonds and avoid the little black monsters?
I did get 1 force close.  If nobody else is getting these will debug later and send u the stack trace.. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-10-27 15:55:07 »

Goes well on the G1 too.  Good work!
2 small things.
- Needs a wake lock.
- Would be nice if you allowed the screen to rotate when entering your score (as I used the G1's keyboard).

I never thought about wake locks, since I always play with the dpad click for jumping, and it never sleeps .. but I'll implement this as soon as I get home (I just arrived work Sad )

for the second one, I'll see what I can do ..  I don't know how my arbitrary layout will behave in orientation changes !

Couple of things, when you start the game the keyboard is always displayed.  Any reason for this?
Wasnt quite sure what you have to do, just collect the diamonds and avoid the little black monsters?
I did get 1 force close.  If nobody else is getting these will debug later and send u the stack trace.. 

This keyboard always showing is new to me ! probably because my editText is Actually always there, but hidden ( My dirty programming techinques makes me use only one view and activity for everything  Lips Sealed) I'll see if I can be sure the focus is not with the hidden EditText when starting
It would be super if you send me the stack trace of this force close.

Thank you guys for testing !!

Offline Ranger
« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-10-27 20:52:32 »

I never thought about wake locks, since I always play with the dpad click for jumping, and it never sleeps .. but I'll implement this as soon as I get home (I just arrived work Sad )

Woops, didn't realise you could jump!
Offline steveyO
« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-10-27 21:06:03 »

Lol.. Yeah.. You can jump.. It took me a while to figure out how to move left and right tho.. doh!

As I said,, have a HTC Magic.. Get this quite often, usually after a few seconds..

W/dalvikvm( 9181): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001da28)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to uncaught exception
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at hellevators.Fisica.kickEnemy(Fisica.java:191)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at hellevators.HellTela.keyReleased(HellTela.java:430)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at com.teletubo.hellevators.HellView.setOrientValues(HellView.java:422)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at com.teletubo.hellevators.Hellevators.onSensorChanged(Hellevators.java:257)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at android.hardware.SensorManager$ListenerDelegate$1.handleMessage(SensorManager.java:415)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4203)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(NativeMethod)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:791)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:549)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-10-27 21:36:19 »

Lol.. Yeah.. You can jump.. It took me a while to figure out how to move left and right tho.. doh!

As I said,, have a HTC Magic.. Get this quite often, usually after a few seconds..

W/dalvikvm( 9181): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001da28)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to uncaught exception
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at hellevators.Fisica.kickEnemy(Fisica.java:191)
E/AndroidRuntime( 9181):        at hellevators.HellTela.keyReleased(HellTela.java:430)

ooh thanks ... I think I already found the null pointer ...

Hopefully when I implement the instructions jumping wont be a big secret !

Ranger, could you tell me if the hard keyboard controls are actually usable in the G1 ?  I'm not sure if I should just disable hard keyboard controls or leave them as it is ...

thanks again guys !

Offline Ranger
« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-10-28 22:55:25 »

Ranger, could you tell me if the hard keyboard controls are actually usable in the G1 ?  I'm not sure if I should just disable hard keyboard controls or leave them as it is ...

The keys O and K work fine.  I can't use ',' as it is a ALT character.

Also, because the game runs in portrait layout, you probably wouldn't ever use the keyboard (as the keyboard pops out to the side of the screen).
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-10-30 06:08:13 »

Hello guys,

I've made some updates, I think I'm almost finished. Probably I will only change the background image (if I dont find any other annoying bug).

I have included an Instruction screen, and local high scores.

I have also tried to avoid the keyboard from showing up, but I can tell if it worked, caus I cant reproduce it.

steveyO, i would really appreciate if you try this out . I have tried this solution, for it seems the exact same problem you're having.
And please check if you get force closes .

Well if everything goes right tomorrow evening I'll put in the Market ...

here's the new link:

http://sites.google.com/site/tacticspompsteronline/Home/Hellevators2a.apk

thank you !

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-10-31 21:15:10 »

Okay guys just released it on the market !

It's under Action/Arcade.

Well I hope everything goes fine, and thanks everybody for testing .

Offline steveyO
« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-11-01 11:47:22 »

Congratulations on the release teletubo.. Hope it does well!  Made it to 2nd place for time being :-)

A few minor things.. Most importanly didnt get any force closes this time (HTC Magic)..  2nd is the keyboard still came up automatically the first time I played it. Strangely enough this has stopped happening so maybe not a major problem.  I also noticed that the Back buttons in the Credits/Instructions screen dont work  (have to use the Phone Back button instead).  They worked once or twice then stopped working alltogether.  Also the Sound Off doesnt seem to work either (still get sounds when select this option).. And very minor thing is the buttons in the main page are not centered.  All minor things you may consider for the next update! Keep it up!!

Offline mh114

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-11-01 12:16:21 »

Congrats on the release! Smiley Just tried it on my Hero, worked fine. Quite fun, although I suck at playing the game.. Tongue Nicely animated little sprites, good work.

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-11-02 17:32:10 »

Congratulations on the release teletubo.. Hope it does well!  Made it to 2nd place for time being :-)

A few minor things.. Most importanly didnt get any force closes this time (HTC Magic)..  2nd is the keyboard still came up automatically the first time I played it. Strangely enough this has stopped happening so maybe not a major problem.  I also noticed that the Back buttons in the Credits/Instructions screen dont work  (have to use the Phone Back button instead).  They worked once or twice then stopped working alltogether.  Also the Sound Off doesnt seem to work either (still get sounds when select this option).. And very minor thing is the buttons in the main page are not centered.  All minor things you may consider for the next update! Keep it up!!

Thanks for the feedback !
I have found the problem with the buttons. After one ad was shown, it was consuming the onPress events on that region  even after set to invisible again . so when set to invisible, I also set setClickable(false). That did the trick .

About the sound on/off, it was just a plain logic problem (the same happens with accelerometer). My bad .

I would just update this right now, but a friend of mine reported repeated force closes in his G1, but he does not know how to catch the stack traces  Undecided   ... So I'll investigate this a little more and when I find the solution I'll post a new update .

anyway thank you all guys !

Offline martineriksen

« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-11-07 18:35:13 »

Fun game! works well on Hero 1.5. Appears well polished and I just love the humor, cool detail with the shaking of the little ones!

Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

Medals: 18

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-11-16 22:19:36 »

Played it on my brand new Droid... fun little game! I was terrible, but only played for a few minutes.  I'll give it more of a go later today and see what kind of score I can get.
Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-11-17 18:05:14 »

Played a little more, and now I'm hooked!  I'm currently 1st place in the weekly boards but can't seem to crack "All Time" yet.

Two things:

1. At the bottom of the screen I see some noise, perhaps a region that simply never gets cleared/repainted.  Could be due to the Droid's larger resolution?
2. The speed when you first start out is pretty fast!  I'm surprised it doesn't start out a little slower.  I find myself in trouble if I don't find a blue clock pretty quickly (but maybe that's just because I'm not so good  Tongue).
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-11-17 20:04:17 »

Played a little more, and now I'm hooked!  I'm currently 1st place in the weekly boards but can't seem to crack "All Time" yet.

Two things:

1. At the bottom of the screen I see some noise, perhaps a region that simply never gets cleared/repainted.  Could be due to the Droid's larger resolution?
2. The speed when you first start out is pretty fast!  I'm surprised it doesn't start out a little slower.  I find myself in trouble if I don't find a blue clock pretty quickly (but maybe that's just because I'm not so good  Tongue).

Hey BoBear, thanks for the feedback .
1. that's surely due to Droids resolution . I must confess I never thought about different resolutions . I'll take a look at it  - but I must say that's not a priority for now.
2.Well I think the speed is quite ok , maybe you just need a little training  Tongue  . When you die, the speed decreases a bit, but not to the initial speed ... .I'll probably release an update in the next days with some small changes, (a couple of different items, and maybe a new enemy), and I'll see if I change the speed when you lose a life .

Anyway thanks for testing, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game !

cheers

Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

« Reply #19 - Posted 2010-01-05 21:34:44 »

A couple more things:

1. Because of the Droid's design, sometimes when I play, the bottom part of my hand will accidentally rub against the "back" button, causing me to go back to the title screen.  This is pretty upsetting when you've been playing for awhile!  Could you possibly add a "Are you sure you want to quit?" dialog if the user presses Back while playing?  Usually I hate those dialogs, but in this case it might be nice.

2. Sometimes the app will hang when trying to get the High Scores list, causing a force close.  Sometimes if I wait long enough, the scores will finally appear, other times nothing appears even after waiting 5+ minutes.  And occasionally the game will lock up while typing my name to submit a high score (though in that case, the lock up is temporary, but still lasting 30 seconds or so).  I would chalk it up to server issues, but I saw these problems even back in November.

Still one of my favorite games on my phone though!
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #20 - Posted 2010-01-05 22:05:03 »

Hello Bobear . Thank you for your great feedback .  You're "fife" on the High score list, right ? man, you really played it a lot ! And congratulations for the 1st place (and all the other places) . One could argue that you're the only one playing, but I receive about 150 scores/day .

About the hanging issues, partly is because of my server and partly is because of my poor design . Where I should start a thread to connect to the server, and put a timeout, I just try to connect in the main game server . When the server does not respond, you'll keep waiting .... and waiting ...  The poor design is my bad, I'll fix it on the next release. But why the damned server does ont respond , well maybe that's what I get for $10 per month .
By the way, currently the server is totally down ...  and I cannot even restart it . I'm just waiting for the guys at vpslink to do something . 

about the "back" button, that's something that can easily be done ...but I must confess I am not very motivated to do it right now, because I'm working on another Android game  (The Pomplets™) , and besides I feel a little bit "guilty" of releasing an update with really "no updates" , it might look like I just want to put my game on the "recent" list ...
Anyway, I'll do it ! Just wait a little while ! I'll probably put some more content to make up for the update ...

Thanks again for the feedback and thanks for playing !

edit : server is up again !

Offline ernestw

Projects: 1

« Reply #21 - Posted 2010-01-07 15:56:13 »

Somewhat late feedback but I've actually been running Hellevators on my phone a lot lately.  I'm not good enough (or patient enough) to submit highscores but this game really nails the 2-3 minute diversion sweet spot for me.  The character running and Charlinhos animations kinda remind me of older rotoscoped games (Karateka and Prince of Persia for example).

The only suggestion I have is that you get the main menu buttons to be traversable and selectable by trackball/d-pad.  The reason I ask is because that would allow me to play the game easily on the train without taking off my winter gloves to use the touchscreen.

Thanks, and good job!

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #22 - Posted 2010-01-08 15:40:11 »

Hey teletubo, would you mind sharing the level of success you have with this game on Android? I'm referring to the biz aspect here.

Thanks

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #23 - Posted 2010-01-08 16:02:01 »

Hey,

I wouldn't mind.
Well the level of success is very low - compared to other testimonials here at JGO.

I've got right now 4611 downloads, with an average of 170 score submissions per day . I get an average of $0.20/day with ads.
Nothing compared to what other guys here at JGO earn .

I know I could improve that by regularly releasing "dummy" updates which would bring it to the top of the "recent games" list (Most developers do that on the market). This really boosts downloads.
But I see this game as a "learning" experience, since it's my first Android game , and I don't feel like doing this stuff just to see numbers grow, nor I want to earn real money with it .

The thing I'm really happy about is that people are really playing and having fun with it . That was my main goal with this game.  For the next one I'll add more content and try to think a little more "comercially" about it .

I hope that has answered you questions .

cheers

Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

« Reply #24 - Posted 2010-01-08 16:28:45 »

You're "fife" on the High score list, right ? man, you really played it a lot !

Having a lot of free time helps (having no life doesn't hurt either  Tongue).

I know I could improve that by regularly releasing "dummy" updates which would bring it to the top of the "recent games" list

One thing I like about Hellevators is that it's one of the few apps I have that doesn't push down an update every week.  I don't mind updates really, it's just that, like you say, some apps update themselves way too frequently.  If I don't use an app very much, getting too many updates for it makes me want to uninstall it.
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #25 - Posted 2010-01-08 16:37:45 »

The thing I'm really happy about is that people are really playing and having fun with it . That was my main goal with this game.  For the next one I'll add more content and try to think a little more "comercially" about it .
Yeah, this indication is a great success. No so easy developing a game people really like, AND play.

Congrats by the way!  Wink

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (21 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (19 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (19 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (47 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (43 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (34 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (38 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (53 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (52 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org