Windows 7  (Read 4470 times)
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 68
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Posted 2009-10-22 15:45:56 »

Should I upgrade?
Or stick with Windows XP (forever it seems)?
How's Java support?

What's the consensus?

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Online Spasi
« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-10-22 16:32:56 »

I went from XP to Win7 RC a few months ago and I've been fairly happy with it. Very stable and backwards compatibility is solid, haven't had any issues whatsoever, even with drivers. Don't expect too many new features though, other than DX10/11 it's the same old OS without the holes (for now) and bugs/annoyances, only a little bit more modern and faster (e.g. SSD optimizations). The latest MacOS is still years ahead of 7 but for many reasons I'm not quite ready to go that way (yet), so Microsoft is getting my money this time.

edit: forgot to mention that Java support is just as good as on XP (or should I say just as bad?)
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-10-22 17:07:50 »

Have to say my experiences with Snow Leopard so far at work are proving not to be too hot :S

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-10-22 17:38:53 »

I heard that it's a giant pain to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 (I think you have to backup everything, erase everything, then install Windows 7 and restore data from backup), but I've heard pretty good things about its stability (finally for Windows!).

I have Snow Leopard and have been a Mac OS user since something like Mac OS 5 (a long long looong time ago in computer years), so my opinion is biased, but I haven't been at all unhappy with Snow Leopard aside from a few launch bugs that were hastily fixed. It is indeed a very tiny iteration from Leopard (so I'm not impressed, really), but Apple never claimed it would be otherwise. And at $30 that's a steal. Windows 7's price to me is just crazy.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Nate

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 158
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-10-22 18:00:03 »

Windows Vista is to Windows ME as Windows 7 is to Windows XP. If you held out because Vista is crap (like I did Smiley) then you like Windows 7. It mostly doesn't get in your way, and it is fast. If you have modern hardware, you'll get to take advantage of it.

Offline thalador

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-10-22 18:01:54 »

I heard that it's a giant pain to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 (I think you have to backup everything, erase everything, then install Windows 7 and restore data from backup), but I've heard pretty good things about its stability (finally for Windows!).

I switched over from XP to Win7 a couple of days ago. Actually the pain was not that big: I had a free partition I could install Win7 on and it automatically created a bootmanager so I'd be able to switch back to my old XP installation. But up to now I didn't feel like it because Win7 just works like a charm. It is totally worth the price in my opinion. Of course I had to install all the programms again, but since my XP was pretty old I actually liked the fresh new start and got rid of a couple of things
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-10-22 18:08:47 »

I plan to migrate from vista to 7, if only for performance boost and stability.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-10-22 18:11:59 »

Do you have this bug with vista: at login sometimes when I'm typing in the password the focus is stolen. I'm rather upset when it happens. Stupid MS!

Offline elias4444

Junior Devvie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-10-22 19:11:07 »

I was pretty down on Win 7 after trying an evaluation copy a while back (you might have noticed my rant on the indiegamer forum). I've been using it for a while now and have to admit that it is certainly better than Vista ever was (although I still have a couple of gripes). I did make the decision though to move my main work machine from using MacOSX/XP to MacOSX/Win7. It's nice to not have to worry about the XP memory limitation anymore. I was also able to just blast away XP and do a clean install of Win7 since all my important data was on the MacOSX side anyway.

Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 15

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-10-22 21:20:59 »

I'd be happy to move from XP to 7 if they'd just fix the damn start menu  Cry
How they manage to make it both bloated & cramped at the same time is a marvel of bad UI design.

:edit:

oh, and the control panel - it's a complete mess.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline fletchergames

Senior Devvie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-10-23 19:01:19 »

The way I see I don't have any choice but to get Windows 7 because 90% of my potential customers are eventually going to have it.

I am skipping Vista just because it's only time for me to get a new computer now.

I don't really care what features an OS has, but there are two problems with the world that make Windows much more worthwhile than Mac OS X:

a) you can run practically any software on Windows, but you can run practically nothing on Mac OS X
b) you have to spend over $1000 just to get a Mac with a discrete video card

If these two problems were rectified, I'd probably think Mac OS X is about 1% better than Windows.  The last version of Windows I've used is XP, and the last version of OS X I've used is 10.4.  Things might have changed since then.
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-10-23 19:19:52 »

I think my next machine is going to be a dual-boot hackintosh, with OSX for work & Win7 for play.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-10-23 21:14:37 »

I am a win 7 fan! the bar is so good. It actaully has good visual appeal as well.

how is the start thing bloated and to small? it is just perfect in my opinion.

even in beta, I got my comp up and running inlike 2 hours. so I was very pleased witht he ease.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-10-23 21:50:09 »

The file explorer has almost still the same bugs than with Vista (some USB keys freeze the whole explorer, I did not solve the problem even by killing the explorer and relaunching it), it is just a shame but it is not surprising. A guy of the Mozilla Foundation succeeded in crashing MSIE 8 at the Windows CafĂ© in Paris, it was so funny  Grin If you like an OS full of DRM and lock-in, use Windows 7. I have to admit that it works fast... on a recent laptop with 6 GB RAM  Tongue

Offline Nate

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Esoteric Software

« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-10-24 06:48:53 »

I think my next machine is going to be a dual-boot hackintosh, with OSX for work & Win7 for play.
Just got this running the other day... Smiley
http://n4te.com/temp/w7osx.jpg

Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-10-24 10:53:46 »

Just got this running the other day... Smiley
http://n4te.com/temp/w7osx.jpg

What's the OSX performance like through vmware? I guess you don't get any hardware acceleration?

Online Spasi
« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-10-24 11:33:15 »

I hear people have been very happy with Parallels Desktop for Mac, that is, virtual Win7 inside MacOS. I've seen an SSD powered MacBook getting a better "Windows Experience Index" rating than my workstation, right through that virtual machine.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-10-24 18:15:25 »

I hear people have been very happy with Parallels Desktop for Mac, that is, virtual Win7 inside MacOS. I've seen an SSD powered MacBook getting a better "Windows Experience Index" rating than my workstation, right through that virtual machine.
VMWare Fusion has significantly better performance than Parallels at this point. Early on, Parallels was king, but lately it's been surpassed. Boot Camp is still the best way to go, though, in my opinion.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Nate

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Esoteric Software

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-10-24 22:33:19 »

What's the OSX performance like through vmware? I guess you don't get any hardware acceleration?
It's fast as native, though the mouse is just slightly choppy when moved quickly. The window animations, etc are all nice and smooth. I'm using an Intel Core i7 920 CPU. I haven't spent much time messing with getting the right kext for my video card (nVidia GTX 275 Cheesy) but I think it should be possible to get hardware acceleration. It is great for doing iPhone development. I can copy/paste between the OSes. Getting it setup was a huge pain, basically all the same steps you'd have to do to get OSX86 running natively.

Running Windows in a VM from OSX is a lot easier, but I prefer Windows as my main OS.

Offline lightbringer

Senior Newbie

Lone Wolf

« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-11-04 06:47:13 »

So I got Windows 7 for free as part of Microsoft's MSDN Academic Alliance and decided to install it on my (previously Ubuntu 9.04) laptop (VAIO SGN-S4XP). Everything went to hell. First I had to hook up ethernet just to get Windows Update to find a driver for my wireless card. The display is still listed as generic VGA, and neither NVidia nor Sony have any drivers for it (but Sony did have a bunch of broken links for Windows 7 users), so it's running 1024x768 on a widescreen and I have two black bars left and right, reducing usable space by about 1/4th. Touchpad scrolling is broken. Audio manager module gotten through Windows Update is incompatible (so why did it download it in the first place?). It pissed me off so much, I didn't even have the patience to even try Java on it. Although it is pretty, all things considered. I skipped Vista so this was a new experience in some ways. But pretty doesn't mean much when it bricks my laptop like this. Oh, and the new control panel interface reminds me of vi. Brain surgery in the dark with a blindfold and hands tied behind your back.

So I promptly downloaded and dual-booted it to Ubuntu 9.10. At least there everything just works as expected, though in the previous version I had some trouble burning and ripping CDs. Thankfully I only ever use Windows for playing games (and ripping bought CDs thanks to Grip being broken all the time), which is a pretty rare occasion these days especially with the PS3 in the living room. I've heard people complain that OpenOffice doesn't meet their needs, but I've yet to run into problems myself, although I am not very demanding of it. And any serious documents must be written with LyX anyway.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16

Maximumisness

« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-11-04 07:54:12 »

The file explorer has almost still the same bugs than with Vista
That's somehow not very surprising seeing that the file explorer in Vista basically still has the same bugs as in Windows 95  Smiley
I think people are so used to them that many would complain if they got fixed.

I'll be getting a new desktop soon and am looking to get Windows 7 on it. I'll probably make it dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10 anyway, but I need windows for my music software and games.

Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-11-04 11:33:46 »

If you like an OS full of DRM and lock-in, use Windows 7.
You talking about this? http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/02/oh-the-humanity-windows-7s-draconian-drm.ars

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline gouessej
« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-11-04 13:26:30 »

Windows Genuine Advantage was already not acceptable on my view under Vista, it is still unacceptable under Windows 7, I'm coherent.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-11-04 16:08:20 »

Er, what was wrong with a license key check?

Cas Smiley

Offline dian

Junior Newbie

« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-11-10 03:44:38 »

I would love to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 but could anybody tell me that older motherboard is not a matter for Windows 7..
Offline Galaxy613

Senior Newbie

« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-11-10 21:12:54 »

I "upgraded" to Windows 7 64bit Professional from Windows XP 32bit. I've encountered no problems using Java on it either.

By "upgraded" I mean I did a custom install and did a clean install on a new partition instead of over writing my XP partition. I had no problems installing and activating my Windows 7 install, and generally, it's been pretty good. I also like the new taskbar... which I didn't see for long because I use SharpEnviro for my desktop shell.

Programming since 2001 (Technically Tongue )
Uses: BlitzMax, Java, C++
Computers: W7 Desktop and a Triple Booting Netbook.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-11-11 09:48:03 »

Hey all you Windows 7 types - I'm getting reports of all of our games being broken. I don't suppose any kind soul with W7 installed could have a go with them and see if they work? (And while you're at it, could you also try Tribal Trouble)

Cas Smiley

Online Spasi
« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-11-11 15:12:00 »

On Win7 RC here.

I tried Droid Assault, the problem is that the installer requires administration privileges to write to the default "Program Files" path. Choosing a non-system path for the installation works fine. Running the installer with right click -> Run as Administrator works on the default path as well. After the installation the game works just fine, as I remember it when I played it on XP.

From installing other applications, I've noticed that they ask for admin rights during the installation process, right before writing anything on disk. This is usually indicated by a "shield" icon on the button that initiates the writing process.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #28 - Posted 2009-11-11 16:07:50 »

Looks like I need to quickly rebuild my installers using a newer version of NSIS then.

Cas Smiley

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #29 - Posted 2009-11-14 16:18:04 »

Today my new PC arrived, a 2.5ghz Core 2 quad with 4gb ram and a geforce 9800GT. The moment it arrived I stuck a fresh clean copy of Windows 7 Professional on top. Previously I was running Vista on a 2ghz Athlon 64 with 1gb ram.

I'm a huge fan of Vista and have always thought Windows was a great family of operating systems. I'm disappointed with Windows 7. It feels far more like a service pack then a new OS, and that the bulk of the features was just moving things around rather then adding anything new. I don't like the new pins on the task bar (I prefer quick launch icons), I don't like how apps are grouped by default now (I have my start menu on the left side so it's just not needed) and I used to be able to drag a folder to the top of the screen and have it hidden there for quick access to my files. 99% of the time I accessed my files through that folder and it would popup on top of all applications. I can't seem to be able to do this in Windows 7.

The one thing I like is that I can now drag a window from one monitor to another and fullscreen in one single motion. Before I'd have to drag and then double click on the title bar. I'm disappointed that this is my number one feature in Windows 7.

To be fair it feels very fast and lean, earlier I was running lots of installers whilst surfing the internet and streaming TV. My old PC would freeze trying to do the same amount of work. But that's all setup stuff and this PC is far more powerful then the old one. For general usage Vista felt only marginally slower on my 2ghz Athlon. I thought Vista was awesome, so I still think Windows 7 is awesome too. My issue is that there isn't enough here to justify it being a new Windows OS.

Either way it's still light years ahead of XP.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (33 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (23 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (45 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (59 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (60 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (123 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org