Games in Android Showcase (122)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  WebGuitar (not really a game)  (Read 4752 times)
Offline ShannonSmith
« Posted 2009-08-31 18:13:44 »

This isn't a game (yet) but it can be fun. Use left/right arrow keys to strum and number keys 1-8 to change chords. You can also edit the chords manually. I have a version working with a Wii Gutiar Hero controller that I may release soon once I get the handling a bit more stable and hate-mail filters installed.

Incidentally, I posted this on an Auido Forum and someone left this comment:
Nice job! Within about 4 minutes I was sounding like my 14 yr old self trying to bang out the Kinks' Lola (key of E)... on a guitar!

Also nice to see a Java applet again after so many years  Smiley

sigh...

Offline SimonH
« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-08-31 20:35:24 »

Looks nice, seems to work, but  - no sound!
Using JRE version 1.6.0_06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback, Unknown Vendor

People make games and games make people
Offline steveyO
« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-08-31 20:48:53 »

Cool.. Yeah thats fun and well implemented. Impressive.  Managed to get some of my fav songs sounding reasonable.  Is there any way to go up an octave?

Got the same message in console, but I get sound so not sure thats related...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-08-31 20:56:37 »

Looks nice, seems to work, but  - no sound!
Using JRE version 1.6.0_06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Odd, I haven't had any issues on several different computers. Do you have multiple soundcards or anything else slight strange, does this one work for you?

Cool.. Yeah thats fun and well implemented. Impressive.  Managed to get some of my fav songs sounding reasonable.  Is there any way to go up an octave?
Got the same message in console, but I get sound so not sure thats related...

You can change any of the hot key chords to anything you like, just change the fingering for the currently selected chord. Also you can change the tuning of the guitar (top right).
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-08-31 21:31:16 »

Can you record the music you make on it? Rather than making a game you should make a sound recording program so people can easily make music for their games.
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-08-31 21:45:20 »

Can you record the music you make on it? Rather than making a game you should make a sound recording program so people can easily make music for their games.

I was actually thinking about doing that. I have done a bunch of lightweight pure Java software synthesizers so far and was thinking of making a simple Mario-Paint-esq (but a bit more advanced) music tool for games. If you want to try some others click below:

Lead Synth:

Drums:

Full Featured:

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 52

« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-08-31 22:23:45 »

This isn't a game (yet) but it can be fun. Use left/right arrow keys to strum and number keys 1-8 to change chords. You can also edit the chords manually. I have a version working  with a Wii Gutiar Hero controller that I may release soon once I get the handling a bit more stable and hate-mail filters installed.

This is great!!!

Some suggestions:

- Allow up-strumming always, so the bidirectional strumming is easier
- Spread playback over at least two channels, so that the last chord doesn't break up when changing chords
- Consider multikey "gestures". So we can configure something like:
  - Additionally pressed Up and Down arrows modify chord type (maybe betwen maj and min)
  - Additionally pressed Keypad-0 pitches the chord up by an octave (or quinte or whatever)
  - Additionally pressed CTRL damps the tone
  - Or using the first 4 numbers only, but in binary encoding SmileySmileySmiley to select 64 combinations of chords and chord types
  - Other switchable effects could be half strumming speed, arpeggio ...
- Consider a midi-out to allow us to wire gtr or guitar rig Smiley

If you will ever release this source, let me know  Cool

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-08-31 23:11:39 »

- Allow up-strumming always, so the bidirectional strumming is easier
I tend to strum down alot and just hit a few strings on the way up (when playing an actual guitar) so that's why I made it work that way, but enough people have commented that I will change it.

- Spread playback over at least two channels, so that the last chord doesn't break up when changing chords
I wanted to simulate a real guitar so it doesn't make sense to have multiple channels. When you change chords I mute the strings slightly and set them to open for a fraction of a second but it still needs a bit of work to sound natural.

- Consider multikey "gestures". So we can configure something like:
  - Additionally pressed Up and Down arrows modify chord type (maybe betwen maj and min)
  - Additionally pressed Keypad-0 pitches the chord up by an octave (or quinte or whatever)
  - Additionally pressed CTRL damps the tone
Yeah I could have expression keys to modify the chord, good idea. I was actually thinking about a modifer key to switch to power chord versions.

- Or using the first 4 numbers only, but in binary encoding SmileySmileySmiley to select 64 combinations of chords and chord types
Don't you mean 16 combinations (2^4)? The guitar hero controller has 5 buttons so you can get 32 chords without paging them (more than many guitarists know I'd wager).

- Other switchable effects could be half strumming speed, arpeggio ...
Once again, great ideas.

- Consider a midi-out to allow us to wire gtr or guitar rig Smiley
Could do but I am already spending far too much time away from games on this.

If you will ever release this source, let me know   Cool
Will do, I pretty much always release source if enough people request it. The only reason I don't initially is the time it takes to clean-up and package it.
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-08-31 23:17:45 »

Something just occurred to me, cylab do play the guitar? Seems there is a bit of overlap between guitarists and game developers for some reason. I know Kev Glass plays a bit (according to his website).

Anyone else?
Offline SimonH
« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-08-31 23:43:01 »

Do you have multiple soundcards or anything else slight strange
no
does this one work for you
yes - loud & clear...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-09-01 01:36:49 »

I can't hear anything on the guitar either.
But I can also hear the piano synth ...

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-09-01 11:39:01 »

I tend to strum down alot and just hit a few strings on the way up (when playing an actual guitar) so that's why I made it work that way, but enough people have commented that I will change it.
I wanted to simulate a real guitar so it doesn't make sense to have multiple channels. When you change chords I mute the strings slightly and set them to open for a fraction of a second but it still needs a bit of work to sound natural.

I was more refering to the overlapping of the sustain.

Yeah I could have expression keys to modify the chord, good idea. I was actually thinking about a modifer key to switch to power chord versions.
Don't you mean 16 combinations (2^4)? The guitar hero controller has 5 buttons so you can get 32 chords without paging them (more than many guitarists know I'd wager).

My bad, did my comment after a birthday party, so I wasn't quite sober Wink

Something just occurred to me, cylab do play the guitar? Seems there is a bit of overlap between guitarists and game developers for some reason. I know Kev Glass plays a bit (according to his website).

Not really a guitarist. I only know some basic chords but I try to be a drummer Smiley I think there is a quite an overlap between (game) developers and musicians in general.

Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-09-01 15:38:09 »

yes - loud & clear...
I can't hear anything on the guitar either.
But I can also hear the piano synth ...

Edit:
Ok, I've checked this and in WebGuitar I was grabbing the SourceDataLine in the constructor for the applet rather than init(). Check it now and see if it works.
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-09-03 15:20:26 »

Did either SimonH or teletubo get a chance to try this agian?
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-09-03 19:36:21 »

still no sound here .
I tried with link, is it the correct one ?
http://www.angryoctopus.co.nz/webguitar/webguitar.php

maybe it's one of that applet issues that things are not re-loaded.

Just to be clear, it supposed to play the chord whenever I press 1-8, right ?

Offline SimonH
« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-09-03 20:05:11 »

Not a tweet! Same error.

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-09-03 22:54:23 »

I assume you tried to click on the applet to give it focus!?

Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-09-03 22:56:27 »

Just to be clear, it supposed to play the chord whenever I press 1-8, right ?
Plays sound when you strum with left/right, 1-8 to change the current chord. You should see the pick moving back and fourth across the strings.

Not a tweet! Same error.
Blast... back to drawing board. So just to clarify, the pick is moving across the strings, you just aren't hearing sound?
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-09-04 00:04:41 »

my bad . I didnt read the instructions carefully , and was trying to clck everywhere, but not pressing left right

maybe you should put the instructions in the page ?

Offline SimonH
« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-09-04 01:10:47 »

So just to clarify, the pick is moving across the strings, you just aren't hearing sound?
Cool. It works. Penny finally dropped - I assumed that clicking on things would make noise & so I missed the arrow keys bit...
Instructions on the page (like maybe 'use the arrow keys') would help.

Online basil_
« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-09-04 09:55:49 »

mhm, that link doesn't work for me. just getting a gray page. you got any other link I could use ?  persecutioncomplex
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-09-04 16:34:29 »

mhm, that link doesn't work for me. just getting a gray page. you got any other link I could use ?  persecutioncomplex

It is possibly Suns applet deployment javascript failing. If you have a javascript blocker that is likely the problem.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (31 views)
2014-10-27 03:28:38

TehJavaDev (26 views)
2014-10-27 03:27:51

DarkCart (40 views)
2014-10-26 19:37:11

Luminem (21 views)
2014-10-26 10:17:50

Luminem (26 views)
2014-10-26 10:14:04

theagentd (32 views)
2014-10-25 15:46:29

Longarmx (61 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (57 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (46 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (43 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org