News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  ApoWomenInvasion  (Read 6481 times)
Offline Apo
« Posted 2009-07-26 13:15:23 »

Hi,

I want to present my game 'ApoWomenInvasion'.

In ApoWomenInvasion, you are the last man on earth and the women are coming out of the woodwork to get you and get in your house. Without any weapons, the best you can do is use yourself as bait to lead the women under falling bombs.

It's simple and fast. Use the arrow key to move and the spacebar to scream. =)

My plan was to implement an online highscore. But I don't know how to do it. Have you some tips for me? The offline version has a highscore file. But how to manage it online ... I don't know.

Download and the applet: Click here

Screenshot:
Offline SimonH
« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-07-26 13:41:12 »

What a strange game! Fun though - why do the women stick to the targets?

I used GoogleApps for the highscores for Sparrow.

People make games and games make people
Offline Apo
« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-07-26 13:57:15 »

The women stick to the target because the bombs are sparkling and the women like that. =)

Thanks for the link. I will test it soon =)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-07-26 14:42:11 »

EPIC! that has got to be one of the best mini game I have ever played. I laughed throught he whole thing.

P.S: have oyu ever gotten anialation?
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 366
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-07-26 15:17:06 »

Strangely genius story. Game's pretty hard mind.

Cas Smiley

Offline Apo
« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-07-26 16:15:52 »

Thanks for testing ^^ Cool

Now I implemented some sparkle. Now you know and see why the women stick to the targets. =) Wink
Offline Xyle
« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-07-26 16:17:35 »

Beautiful! That is some really nice work there. Of course I sucked at it, lol. And thanks for giving it in an applet! Finally! I have a hard time using webstart due to the fact that my add/remove list is packed full of games that wont remove!

Thanks!

Life is just a game, learn to play!
------------------------------------------
╬-YellzBellz Games!-╬ Cheesy
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 43

« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-07-26 16:52:52 »

Great fun! And my wife wasn't amused Smiley)

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline Apo
« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-07-28 11:45:46 »

A new version is out.

- Now you can play the 'story' mode. Try it out =)
- Now you have to watch after your own health too Wink
- and last but best feature for the women =) you can choose the difficulty now. If you choose hard, then you are a woman and the men want you Cheesy it's harder because the men are faster and stronger then the women. =) Now no woman can say anymore its a sexist game ....  Grin Grin Grin

Whats missing:
- sound
- the online highscore
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-07-28 11:53:43 »

(...)If you choose hard, then you are a woman and the men want you Cheesy it's harder because the men are faster and stronger then the women. =) Now no woman can say anymore its an sexist game ....  Grin Grin Grin

Hmm, somehow I doubt this statement Wink

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2
Exp: 14 years

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-07-28 12:44:32 »

Beautiful! That is some really nice work there. Of course I sucked at it, lol. And thanks for giving it in an applet! Finally! I have a hard time using webstart due to the fact that my add/remove list is packed full of games that wont remove!

Thanks!
Use javaws -viewer to look at the cache.  If you delete the cache tey will also get deleted from the installed programs list.

Also nice little game.  The thing that makes it hard is finding a target before it blows up.  Maybe they should last just a couple of seconds longer.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-07-28 13:12:50 »

I'm on a macbook pro.
Sometimes the game would stutter and one of the keys would get stuck as pressed, meaning the guy would keep running in the direction I last held down.

Gameplay wise, I don't really like it. Running away from the women is easy since they're so predictable, and finding a bomb is luck based. Most bombs are too far away to reach in time, and when you do reach it, most women will get caught on each other forming a big line out of the center of the blast area. Shouting seems to serve no other purpose than to unstick the player.
The graphics are mostly nice.

Play Minecraft!
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-07-28 14:19:12 »

Sexism is funny!

.. or?

Play Minecraft!
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-07-28 14:23:16 »

one good thing about being a programming forum is that there are no women to offend Smiley
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-07-28 14:37:37 »

Doesn't matter. No sexism, please.

Play Minecraft!
Offline Apo
« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-07-28 14:55:09 »

Thanks for testing the game!!!

Now there is an arrow to show the bomb when the bomb isn't on screen and the bombtimer is longer (+1,5 second). =)

To the sexism discussion:
The game is only fun. If you like I can put zombies in it. If you open the jar, you see my first plan was to make a zombiegame. But I like this version =)
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-07-28 17:13:17 »

No, no. Stick with the women. And sexism _is_ funny.

Everyone who get's offended just doesn't have any humor or no selfesteem. (Hmm, somehow that reminds me of achmed the dead terrorist... SILENCE - I KILL YOU!!! Lips Sealed)

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-07-28 17:22:13 »

Heh, funny, well-made, and sexist. You've crossed the line into the territory of the ridiculous, so I think that the sexist part of it is fine. Once you've gone so sexist that it's completely ridiculous, I think you're pretty much safe.

Anyway, I enjoyed what you have so far. I think it could use a bit more variety, and improving the following AI so that they form crowds instead of lines should help a lot, especially because then it will actually be possible to lead a giant group of them to their deaths (at this point they tend to get in each others' way and so you can't get them all).

I think it would also help to have them do a bit of wandering, basically by doing an orbit type thing (they have a center point and a distance vector, the distance changes linearly but never is greater than the orbit) or something similar. As long as it looks like they have a bit more wandering to them, and more autonomy.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-07-28 17:35:33 »

Anyway, I enjoyed what you have so far. I think it could use a bit more variety, and improving the following AI so that they form crowds instead of lines should help a lot, especially because then it will actually be possible to lead a giant group of them to their deaths (at this point they tend to get in each others' way and so you can't get them all).
you ahve to curve around the edge of the bomb. Still the highest I have only gotten is massacre.
Offline markmistry

« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-07-28 18:06:19 »

xyle if you got windows go to control panel double click the java icon and under temp internet files click view and start deleting all the webstart entries low and behold they will be gone from your add/remove list..

for an online score this is how i do it.
using my server program i read the highscore data and put it in a text file then i use php to read the file and show it on the website.

<?php

$lines = file('http://www.kickassevolution.com/highscores.html');

foreach($lines as $line_num =>$line){
    echo  htmlspecialchars($line) . "<br />\n";
   if($line_num==9){
      break;
   }
}

?>

i also get my game to read the same file
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-07-28 20:51:39 »

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that you should have the women come onto the screen in groups as well, and pop out of random places (like from behind trees and whatever) instead of the constant stream coming from the edges. It becomes impossible to get very high scores once you've gotten rid of the initial chunk of women unless you sit around and wait for more to come in. The spawn algorithm should probably be dynamic.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-07-28 21:24:05 »

xyle if you got windows go to control panel double click the java icon and under temp internet files click view and start deleting all the webstart entries low and behold they will be gone from your add/remove list..

for an online score this is how i do it.
using my server program i read the highscore data and put it in a text file then i use php to read the file and show it on the website.

<?php

$lines = file('http://www.kickassevolution.com/highscores.html');

foreach($lines as $line_num =>$line){
    echo  htmlspecialchars($line) . "<br />\n";
   if($line_num==9){
      break;
   }
}

?>

i also get my game to read the same file
I dont think that he has a server.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-07-28 21:29:59 »

If you choose hard, then you are a woman and the men want you Cheesy

..hence the difficulty 'hard', ho ho. Sorry couldn't resist  Lips Sealed persecutioncomplex

Nice game  Smiley
To add to the silly sexist theme, maybe you should give it a ridiculously cheesy pun name like they do in the 'adult movie' industry (you know, 'Night of the giving head', 'Shaving Ryans Privates', that kind of thing)

Offline markmistry

« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-07-29 02:32:46 »

1381 im the greatest  Grin brilliant game i loved it really fun you really need that high score up and running could spend ages on that reminds me of bc bill on the spectrum now that was a sexist game if your old enough to remember it..lol club the women on the head drag them back to your cave and produce kids then stop them from being eaten by dinosaurs..lol
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-07-29 08:33:03 »

No, no. Stick with the women. And sexism _is_ funny.

The game is fine. It's so far into silly that it's funny.
Sexism per se is in no way funny. I was referring to the posts in this thread.

As for no women reading these forums, I doubt that.

Play Minecraft!
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-07-29 08:55:29 »

Sexism per se is in no way funny.

OK, you are right. Silly over the top sexism is funny, real sexism is not.

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-07-29 09:12:41 »

As for no women reading these forums, I doubt that.

well according to forum stats ever 42 men there are 1 women. So I guess there could be some women. There are only like 50 active members though :/.
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-07-29 11:29:06 »

And there are a lot of unregistered people reading the forums. (Right now, 18 guests and 9 registered users)

Play Minecraft!
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #28 - Posted 2009-07-29 11:41:27 »

And there are a lot of unregistered people reading the forums. (Right now, 18 guests and 9 registered users)

fair enough.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 366
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2009-07-29 12:08:43 »

I imagine a similar ratio m:f in unregistered users as registered though...

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print