Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (546)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  A java applet gaming portal  (Read 7630 times)
Offline steveyO
« Reply #30 - Posted 2009-05-25 21:47:16 »

Why not send in all applets?
  Well.. A few of them a bit crap to be honest.. 2-3 night jobs..

I should however center and create a border by default. However, rounded borders around a square applet often looks stange/edgy, Maybe just very subtly rounded border.

Yeah, the cool framing thing hasnt really caught on.. So many sites just have a rectangular 'ugly' game sitting in the website which cant understand why.
What I have done for my site is have a html table (3x3 cells).. Applet code in centre cell, corner cells for the 10 pixel image edges, and the rest for fillers (using css to repeat background image along x and y axis).  Or if ur a CSS guru,, no html tables needed.. :-)
So, for example..
http://www.stephenoreilly.net/RevolvoMan4K.html
now looks like:
www.stephenoreilly.net/applet_border.jpg

Slightly better IMO (even with my limited artistic ability).. Of course you may have issues with the applet backgrounds having different colours, so may still need a inner rectangular border..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 6
Exp: 10 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2009-05-25 22:23:18 »

I think that such a site can work if you can make the average player unaware of the underlying technology used by the game they are playing. They do not care, nor do they want to care whether it is flash or java, just that the game works, is smooth and not crappy Tongue

Also I agree with DzzD in what he suggests as it would make the user experience MUCH better than the default applet loading behavior. Happy users tell other users about "awesome" sites that they find. Unhappy users do the opposite!
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #32 - Posted 2009-05-26 00:13:14 »

Hi,
--In the applet FAQ there are few listed to sell your game.  I listed four sites that have a java games running.   They do prefer the flash games though because they can redistribute.  But I understand your point about being too few.  Even javagames is all flash.  Go figure.    But here is a site with a list of java games.   http://www.arcadepod.com/java/
True about the first part, and regarding arcadepod... All the java games are just links to other sites, and they don't look like the accept any home made stuff in a hurry, so sorry it doesn't look too promising. Also 3rd newest game was added 2006...
--The nice thing about javagametome is that they don't host but rather link to your website.   Thus you don't have to worry about the whole payment thing it is just a traffic generator.   It is an okay traffic generator but we need more.  It would be awesome if your site did something similar. 
Well the plan is to let the dev display a link to it's own site, and to also get profit sharing. The profit sharing is just that money generated from ads on games4j.com is shared with the developer. This is optional, so one can skip this and not worry about it. The money will be used to improve and promot games4j instead (to generate more traffic). Any profit the dev makes from it's own site or other sites are still the developers, and no sharing is done there.
--What are your terms of payment?
I have it fairly simple in the beginning. The dev gets 40% if just plain applet, and 50% if highscorelist api is implemented. This is done by displaying the ads with the devs google adsense key 40% or 50% of the time. The % can be changed in the future, but I really hope to be able to improve it (even thoug I don't think you can find any better offer on any other portal). I will not decrease it for anybody after game is submitted. This arrangement should make it quite simple for everyone, but other options will be looked into later.
--My understand of the search engines is that the more sites that link to you the higher the rank you are, so having another site, even one that competes with Javagametome is a good thing for developers.
Yes I think this can be good news for other java sites as well!
Anyway, I hope that helps.  I guess my main question is what are your terms and can you set up the site to actually link back to our pages as an alt to you hosting the game?
Well, I as a gamer don't like it when I am sent around to another site when I want to play a game, and that in turn migh send me further and so on... I want the game to be played on that site, so I imagine many others are the same. You have no benefit of this site if nobody want's to come back. On the other hand you get to add a link to your site, get cred for the game, get text feedback and highscore list, and revenu share, and I doubt this site will steal traffic from your site, but rather add to it. Tell me what the downside is Cheesy
keep up the good work.       
I will try

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

games4j.com

« Reply #33 - Posted 2009-05-26 00:23:05 »

something I would have done for such website is to embed all applet in my own loader / booter (something like the boot loader I provided in the Shared Source thread)

Thanks for the offer and suggestion!

As you have seen before here at the forum, I have been quite interested in your loader, and this site was the main reason. I did even try to use it, but it just hung on the spinning loader image and not info on what was going on Huh I haven't spent much time on it yet, and it should be easy to add it late without effort. I will maybe send you what I did and you can tell me where I screwed up?

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

games4j.com

« Reply #34 - Posted 2009-05-26 00:26:43 »

Hey, VERY effective! Maybe someone (hint) should make a tool to generate borders for different applet backgrounds  Wink This is great for any applet anywhere!

Offline SimonH
« Reply #35 - Posted 2009-05-26 01:04:35 »

I don't think the site should be preaching about it toward the gamers that come to the site.
Absolutely. Content first - if all the games are good (whatever the delivery method) people will come!

People make games and games make people
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #36 - Posted 2009-05-26 04:15:14 »

I think it's a really good idea, but you need to let a designer loose on your site.  It's a little ugly (sorry).

Really great idea thou, and I wish you the best of luck.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #37 - Posted 2009-05-26 05:24:41 »

Regarding his game, yeah, it doesn't look that hot.
It is off topic, please remove it (it is not an obligation, it is up to you). I have nothing against you. I think that Woogley should never have spoken about one of my projects that has nothing to do with Java gaming portals here and I encourage the moderators to practice what they preach before accusing me.

I still agree with CyanPrime.

I still say that there are already portals for Java games even though they are not specialized in applets. I have nothing to add here. Good luck with yours, jojoh.

Didn‘t you abandon work on JGT?
Yes, please read the thread about it if you need other information, I don't want to be accused to derivate this thread anew.

Also, you've only been around since February, so why don't you lurk more before you post.
It is not the behavior I expect from a moderator and CyanPrime already wrote some games, he suggested the use of EasySound, he is prolific Smiley We both gave arguments. Your remark is inappropriate.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #38 - Posted 2009-05-26 06:45:24 »

Please stop with the negative tone, gouessej. The purpose of this forum is not to just promote your stuff. Even if someone does the exact same thing as you are, you're going to have to just deal with it.

I've gotten several complaints, and I'm starting to get annoyed.

Woogley: Please don't refer to people as copulating nutjobs.

Play Minecraft!
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #39 - Posted 2009-05-26 07:00:52 »

'Conduct unbecoming an [size=5pt](JGO Strike Force)[/size]officer and gentleman'

Perhaps I should start sending some pm's

On topic:
Seems to work nicely, though avoid making the pictures too blurry. Colours are alright here but I would add a additional thin line here and there to the other lines.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #40 - Posted 2009-05-26 10:08:56 »

jojoh, I see that you use Ajax and maybe CSS. Which subset of CSS is really supported by MS IE 6 and 7? I hesitate in using it.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 781
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #41 - Posted 2009-05-26 10:27:47 »

It's often not the case that MSIE only supports a subset of CSS, it's that it handles the very same CSS differently - which is worse, actually.

If you want to see how your site looks in MSIE, just use VirtualBox and install a virtual WinXP.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

games4j.com

« Reply #42 - Posted 2009-05-26 11:00:41 »

It's often not the case that MSIE only supports a subset of CSS, it's that it handles the very same CSS differently - which is worse, actually.
Very true, and then I tried Chrome, and the site was completely messed up... To me it has been down to try and see what happens in all browsers...

Offline bienator

OutOfCoffeeException

« Reply #43 - Posted 2009-05-26 11:11:36 »

to simulate the worst case scenario you should also run a test on Opera Wink

Offline DzzD
« Reply #44 - Posted 2009-05-26 11:18:33 »

to simulate the worst case scenario you should also run a test on Opera Wink
and even better on a mobile device with opera mobile  Tongue (this one JGO work very well)

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #45 - Posted 2009-05-26 11:18:43 »

IE7-8 are pretty ok for css although could be alot better and still needs small hacks to be perfect.

Its IE6 which is the real horrid one for css. However its market share is falling fast and it should become pretty obsolete as windows xp starts being phased out.

In the mean time you can still use a bit of javascript to display an upgrade message to ie6 users, sites like facebook already display a warning. A nice script you can use is http://ie6update.com/ Smiley
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #46 - Posted 2009-05-26 11:22:57 »

Use www.browsershots.org to check every browser.

Its IE6 which is the real horrid one for css. However its market share is falling fast and it should become pretty obsolete as windows xp starts being phased out.
Not with sites like http://www.saveie6.com/ Tongue

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline DzzD
« Reply #47 - Posted 2009-05-26 11:38:13 »

IE7-8 are pretty ok for css although could be alot better and still needs small hacks to be perfect.

In the mean time you can still use a bit of javascript to display an upgrade message to ie6 users, sites like facebook already display a warning. A nice script you can use is http://ie6update.com/ Smiley
I hate those message... really never seen something more stupid than that (heu... really nothing against you, this is just about that message I can see on some website )

maybe something more stupid I have seen is the FF advertisement a cupple of monthes ago that was saying "hey we are trying to make the biggest download of all time in a short periode, download FireFox" really this sound to me like "hey you are stupid Smiley, download firefox , dont worry it is just for fun nothing related to economic.., pfff..." FF is as agressive than IE for advertising but what is annoying is that it act as if users are stupid and use its "cool looking to average people" to say we are the good and they are the bad...

Offline DzzD
« Reply #48 - Posted 2009-05-26 19:42:28 »

Thanks for the offer and suggestion!

As you have seen before here at the forum, I have been quite interested in your loader, and this site was the main reason. I did even try to use it, but it just hung on the spinning loader image and not info on what was going on Huh I haven't spent much time on it yet, and it should be easy to add it late without effort. I will maybe send you what I did and you can tell me where I screwed up?

sure, I would be happy to help on it if I can (send me a PM)

Offline steveyO
« Reply #49 - Posted 2009-05-26 21:07:49 »

Hey, VERY effective! Maybe someone (hint) should make a tool to generate borders for different applet backgrounds  Wink This is great for any applet anywhere!

Ok, little bit of spare time 2nite so uploaded some html/java code to achieve basic rounded applet border (no time to develop a tool  Cry )

Explained in detail here:
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/applet-border-frame-generator/20536/view.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bullsquared.alggame Annoying Little Gits (Android)
www.bullsquared.com   Play java (applet) games! www.chessclockpro.com Free Online Chess Clock
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

games4j.com

« Reply #50 - Posted 2009-05-30 01:33:42 »

I implemented the borders around the applets. Comes out quite nice, but still not sure rounded outer edges and sharp inner edges are better than square edges all together. I might change it to very little rounded edges, or just square as the rest of the look, or drop-shadow or...

I also improved the authentication and upload, thanks to some feedback from Kev. Check out his and Morre's games on http://games4j.com/gameNew.html

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (21 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (21 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (21 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (12 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (19 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (56 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (29 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (35 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (65 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org