Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
  ignore  |  Print  
  Minecraft  (Read 179583 times)
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #300 - Posted 2010-10-06 01:39:35 »

Minecraft: Makes children sex slaves and destroys our economy!
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=51266

persecutioncomplex

Crazy religious people are up to it again...

Current project - Rename and Sort
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 744
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #301 - Posted 2010-10-06 01:49:46 »

Well, the first few paragraphs (browse to the first post in that thread..) could actually have been written by some damaged mind, but just take a moment to read these lines:

Minecraft learns children that you can create your own tools by combining ingredients instead of the American way of ordering online of going to Wallmart. It learns children they can farm their own food instead of learning them the American way of going to McDonalds for that. It learns them to waste huge amounts of time on making their own buildings, instead of the way of buying a house with borrowed money! It teaches children to be creative, instead of watching commercials on television! All this clearly damages and ultimately destroys the American economy! It can be no coincidence that this game was created while Obama is in office!

It's so obvious he's joking / trolling.

The replies are worrying though...

Actually, judging from his own replies, he seemed to be serious. persecutioncomplex

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

« Reply #302 - Posted 2010-10-06 02:01:36 »

Actually, judging from his own replies, he seemed to be serious.
I pointed to the wrong page. Look at page 1. The whole thing is serious, it seems people are getting banned from arguing against it.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SimonH
« Reply #303 - Posted 2010-10-06 02:02:15 »

Loool! More publicity! Interestingly there's what looks like a screenshot of the (as yet unrealeased) halloween update - where'd they get that from?

@Riven you didn't post the rest;
I'll skip the obvious flaws in grammar and get straight to the point.
Is the American way REALLY God's way? Didn't Jesus make his own tools? Didn't our forefathers farm their own food instead of going to McDonalds? Don't we build our own buildings? Or did god poof your house to where it is now?? Why can't our children be creative? Because you can't control your children's creativity? Because you're afraid your children are smarter than you are? Because I hope to god for their sake they are. You sir, have a few things to learn. Maybe it's just because I was raised in a southern baptist church and am now a computer science major, but I see NOTHING WRONG with Minecraft.

People make games and games make people
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #304 - Posted 2010-10-06 02:25:47 »

You guys know that Landover Baptist is one big parody site, right?  Roll Eyes

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #305 - Posted 2010-10-06 02:42:18 »

You guys know that Landover Baptist is one big parody site, right?  Roll Eyes
lol, I was about to say. How the f*** did minecraft get attention from teachers of religeous law.

but then again the FACT!!! still remains that minecraft is not a game, but rather a tech demo, this false advertising should constitute as evil!!!

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

« Reply #306 - Posted 2010-10-06 02:53:38 »

You guys know that Landover Baptist is one big parody site, right?
I do now  Tongue
Which I'm glad...

Offline Tobias

Projects: 1

« Reply #307 - Posted 2010-10-06 13:01:33 »

Haha... they are funny. I almost believed it, excellent satire.

When I was a kid growing up in New York every day we kids would play wonderfull games, stick ball, kick the can, hide and seek and my all time favorite catch a nigra and make him wet himself. [...] We grew up OK.

/OT

Mad Skills Motocross
Turborilla - independent game developer
Offline ryanm

Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #308 - Posted 2010-10-14 18:29:54 »

The social impact that Minecraft is having is quite astonishing. A member of the rllmuk forums recently passed away, so they're erecting a memorial in their server. Similarly, the server that he usually played on is preserving all his structures.

I've got a lump in my throat as it is, I can only imagine that for Markus seeing a silly game that he threw together be used in such a fashion is profoundly humbling.

Congratulations again Markus, I think Minecraft has just transcended the category of games.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #309 - Posted 2010-10-15 07:51:38 »

I'm a tutorial teacher in finance at uni, and I was asking some students in class about what societies they're part of, just out of curiosity.

So one guy is part of EGG (Electronic Game Guild) and apparently they generally play console games. But he said that they now have computers too, because of "some game called minecraft"!!!!!!! Wow, that was weird, internet javagaming forum stuff coming into my reality!

Shows how popluar the game is. This student in my class knew all about markus too, from his paypal account suspension to how he lives in scandinavia! Markus is a celebrity!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #310 - Posted 2010-10-16 01:15:28 »

I'm a tutorial teacher in finance at uni, and I was asking some students in class about what societies they're part of, just out of curiosity.

So one guy is part of EGG (Electronic Game Guild) and apparently they generally play console games. But he said that they now have computers too, because of "some game called minecraft"!!!!!!! Wow, that was weird, internet javagaming forum stuff coming into my reality!

Shows how popluar the game is. This student in my class knew all about markus too, from his paypal account suspension to how he lives in scandinavia! Markus is a celebrity!
I thought he lived in Sweden?

See my work:
OTC Software
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 744

Hand over your head.

« Reply #311 - Posted 2010-10-16 01:34:35 »

I thought he lived in Sweden?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=countries+in+scandinavia

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #312 - Posted 2010-10-16 09:02:41 »

scandinavia is  the collection of sweden, finland, norway, and denmark (and maybe others). Its  like benelux Wink

however it is usually reffered to as "being scandanavian"
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #313 - Posted 2010-10-16 09:17:06 »

scandinavia is  the collection of sweden, finland, norway, and denmark (and maybe others). Its  like benelux Wink

I live in Denmark.. We never say anything else than "Scandinavia", and is only when talking about the northern region of Europe.  Smiley
I never actually heard anyone say "being Scandinavian" before now.. Maybe that is because it would be "Scandinavisk" which does not make much sence  persecutioncomplex to me.. at least..

Does anyone know a tool like INVEdit, but written in Java? I have a huge building project going on  Roll Eyes

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #314 - Posted 2010-10-18 04:33:35 »

Wow. I feel retarded.
 Tongue

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #315 - Posted 2010-10-21 22:49:40 »

Wow. I feel retarded.
 Tongue

Me aswell. And I'm from denmark  Cheesy Never heard anyone say "to be scandinavian", because that sounds stupid in both Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian. At least that is what I think  Tongue

Offline Preston

« Reply #316 - Posted 2010-10-23 12:16:19 »

Markus Persson, I'd like to express my congratulations to you and your masterstroke "Minecraft".

You've reached what most (all?) of us current-/ ex-/ hobby- "independent Java game developers" never reached: A decent Java game which the whole computer world talks about ... and actually plays!
Is it a kind of new Tetris, this time From Sweden with Love ? :-)

Amazing, and I am impressed. You're kind of our hero.

P.S. Is Markus the very first self-made millionaire amongst the Java game developers? Superb!

P.P.S. We could make a list: "Decent trailers / videos about Minecraft". My current favourite is this one because the video sequences and music interact well: Minecraft Fanmade Trailer by Vareide, uploaded 19th September 2010 and viewed since then nearly one million times. Unbelievable!
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #317 - Posted 2010-10-23 17:23:25 »

Fan made flash movie for minecraft here.
Offline ryanm

Used to be bleb

« Reply #318 - Posted 2010-10-26 18:33:02 »

The prospect of mining diamonds whilst on the bus was too enticing to wait, so I made a feasibility test of minecraft level rendering for android. It seems to work pretty well , 30ish fps aboveground, and over 60 in tunnels, just using vertex arrays and un-JITted java. Even with the added expense of running the actual game bits, I reckon that'll be perfectly playable.
The Galaxy S is ridiculously powerful though, the outlook may not be so rosy on other devices.

One more thing for the hordes to moan at Markus for not immediately implementing exactly as they think it should be. Sorry!
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #319 - Posted 2010-10-26 22:44:38 »

The prospect of mining diamonds whilst on the bus was too enticing to wait, so I made a feasibility test of minecraft level rendering for android. It seems to work pretty well , 30ish fps aboveground, and over 60 in tunnels, just using vertex arrays and un-JITted java. Even with the added expense of running the actual game bits, I reckon that'll be perfectly playable.
The Galaxy S is ridiculously powerful though, the outlook may not be so rosy on other devices.

One more thing for the hordes to moan at Markus for not immediately implementing exactly as they think it should be. Sorry!
How did you get the code to draw all this stuff?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline ryanm

Used to be bleb

« Reply #320 - Posted 2010-10-27 08:27:14 »

The save format is well described in the wiki, apart from that I made it from scratch. I haven't done any of the special cases like half-blocks, steps or liquids, so it's just a big load of cube faces.
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Medals: 71
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #321 - Posted 2010-10-29 13:42:03 »

It is indeed. Someone grabbed the save file and wrote his own renderer for it using ray tracing:
http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16540

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Bonbon-Chan

JGO Coder

Medals: 12

« Reply #322 - Posted 2010-10-30 15:44:50 »

I just saw MineCraft on french TV  Grin. Well it was very short and the channel is called "NoLife" but still  Wink
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 11

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #323 - Posted 2010-10-30 18:26:59 »

Has Minecraft really grossed more than £4 million? (£60k/day??)

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #324 - Posted 2010-10-30 18:57:42 »

Has Minecraft really grossed more than £4 million? (£60k/day??)

yup, it has over half a million sales now (at €10 each) and counting, its not even reached beta yet.
Its become the most successful indie game ever.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #325 - Posted 2010-11-02 16:43:53 »

I heard minecraft's core code is really bad. I haven't looked at it myself, because I'm not into modding.
Especially the server should be bad, because of multiple threads per. connected client - can that really be?  persecutioncomplex

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Medals: 71
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #326 - Posted 2010-11-02 17:02:06 »

I heard minecraft's core code is really bad. I haven't looked at it myself, because I'm not into modding.
Especially the server should be bad, because of multiple threads per. connected client - can that really be?  persecutioncomplex

Maybe this is a bit offtopic but... what's wrong with that?

I've got two threads per connected client as well, one that constantly is listening and one that is looking for messages to write.

EDIT: corrections.

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #327 - Posted 2010-11-02 17:47:17 »

The old days of trying to avoid thread-per-client are long gone. Plus the servers don't actually have that many clients on them.

Cas Smiley

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #328 - Posted 2010-11-02 17:59:02 »

Max of 32 players-ish is like 64 threads, not really a big deal for a dedicated machine. Don't get me wrong, the Minecraft server eats memory like nobody's business, but the point is that it's relatively stable and most machines can run it.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #329 - Posted 2010-11-02 20:01:09 »

Max of 32 players-ish is like 64 threads, not really a big deal for a dedicated machine. Don't get me wrong, the Minecraft server eats memory like nobody's business, but the point is that it's relatively stable and most machines can run it.

But isn't having that many threads running bad software architecture? Couldn't Marcus have done, with a loop that updates each player? <-- Where I come from, that is the only (legit, and "correct") way to do it - please correct me if Im wrong. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (2 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (3 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (7 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (23 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (9 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (39 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org