Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Sun begins new round of layoffs...  (Read 4437 times)
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Posted 2003-09-18 13:06:12 »

http://news.com.com/2100-1022_3-5078493.html
Dammit!
I was loving all teh java Desktop System demos, etc.
And then wham.
So ahhh, does the Game Tech group still exist? :-/ Or did they just drop support for J**L , jk!

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-09-18 13:39:18 »

Well at least it has had a positive effect on their stock price.  (Too bad I didn't buy back in after making a few bucks on the last swing.)
I hope the gaming group makes it through this round.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-09-18 13:52:34 »

I believe the gaming group is one of the mentioned areas of expansion. Seeing as there only appear to be about 4 employees in it their jobs are likely safe...

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Captain-Goatse

Junior Devvie

I suck at teh 2D. XBOX IS BIG LOL!111

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-09-23 14:41:40 »

This is definately a positive sign.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-09-23 15:52:25 »

This is definately a positive sign.

Please explain how laying off people can be a positive sign. If you can't or won't, please keep your negativity to yourself Sad

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-09-23 21:21:32 »

The GTG is still around and it is an area of expansion for the company.  Our silence over the past 2 weeks is due to the amount of work we have in front of us!  

With regard to the layoffs, check out this article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1022-5078493.html?tag=nl

-SG

Offline Captain-Goatse

Junior Devvie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-09-24 11:29:03 »

Please explain how laying off people can be a positive sign. If you can't or won't, please keep your negativity to yourself Sad

It is a sign of cutting out the 'idealistic' crap, such as Java3d API and concetrating hard facts that really do need concentration. Java needs fast, reliable and beliaveble platform intependet 3d API. Java3d just didn't cut it.

The great part of Java is the easy and straightforwarc 'standard' library, however there is no way Sun could provide developers with up to date, fast, modern hw or sw graphics API along the same lines.

So, yes, Sun is merely taking out the unproductive units. The non-sound apples. I'm sorry if this sounds like a personal insult, which it may if you ever put your hopes on Java3d, but it is all for the best of Java as a language.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-09-24 19:53:21 »

Thanks for the clarification.
It didn't take it as a personal insult, but as an unnecessary harsh statement; with Sun laying off people we're not only talking about 3D API's but about people as well.
But I agree with your point that Sun seems to be getting more 'down to earth' and practical these days, which in itself is a good point.
You could have put that a bit better though Smiley
However I do also appreciate the j3d effort even though it didn't work out as well as intended in the end but it certainly had its place (and still has in a way).

Erik

Offline gregorypierce

Senior Devvie

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-09-25 14:40:41 »

Yep and its not really focussed entirely on Java. Sun produces a LOT of stuff and there are plenty groups that could be shaved such that it would have no impact on things. While I was there talking to people, I discovered how much Sun really does and how large the company really is. Sun is still a pretty big company - probably bigger than their current needs(across the board - not in general).

The funniest (if you can find humor in these situations) thing is that during the layoffs, Sun is still actively recruiting and hiring people. So I would have to somewhat agree with the Captain and say this is a reasonably good thing. Would be nice if they could shift people around instead of firing them - but if a group hasn't made any money and doesn't look to have the potential to do so in the future - sometimes it makes sense to cut your losses.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Offline Captain-Goatse

Junior Devvie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-09-27 05:37:17 »

My personal opinion is that Sun should stop selling 180k servers that are based on five year old technology. Instead they should be selling 250k servers that are based on modern technology.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-09-27 07:57:55 »

My personal opinion is that they should stop flogging just servers and start putting all their older chips to good use like consoles and home computers.

Cas Smiley

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-09-27 09:54:55 »

But Sun servers look so cool! Grin

Ahh, I don't see them getting into the home computer or console market without a heavy technology partnership with someone like Sony - they just don't have the experience to develop graphics hardware and the like - they've concentrated on getting raw calculation speed into their chips.  Which every man and his dog do, nowadays.

If only they were able to make more money producing Java - that's where they're really making the most impact.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline gregorypierce

Senior Devvie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-09-27 17:28:46 »

Yep but don't discount the impact that StarOffice and OpenOffice will have on the bottom line. There are many businesses who are looking at StarOffice and saying 'this is good enough and a crap load cheaper'. Sun through Star/Open Office finally have a nail that they can drive into the heart of Microsoft - something they've been trying to achieve for years. If they, through the Java Desktop thingy, get this version of office to the masses - they would deal Microsoft a serious blow on the balance sheets.

Offline Captain-Goatse

Junior Devvie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-09-29 08:59:17 »

Yep but don't discount the impact that StarOffice and OpenOffice will have on the bottom line. There are many businesses who are looking at StarOffice and saying 'this is good enough and a crap load cheaper'. Sun through Star/Open Office finally have a nail that they can drive into the heart of Microsoft - something they've been trying to achieve for years. If they, through the Java Desktop thingy, get this version of office to the masses - they would deal Microsoft a serious blow on the balance sheets.

I'd refuse to work in place that does not let me have my MS Word.
Offline Preston

Senior Devvie

Medals: 4

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-09-29 10:14:32 »

Good thoughts. A nail like in the good old Dracula movies. ;-)

The new Openoffice release candidates are pretty nice. I like the PDF export much.
Thanks to SUN for the link "Staroffice <-> Openoffice". Also thanks to the German Stardivision to have invented Staroffice (some are in the Linux KDE team I think?). I use Staroffice / Openoffice for years now and it saves me time and money.
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-09-29 10:24:58 »

Why?  Have you tried StarOffice yet?  I have been using it since version 4.x.  The current version is every bit as good as MS Office. No lie.

Did anyone see Jonathan Schwartz's keynote at SunNetwork?  People asked just how interoperable StarOffice is with MS Office and he responded by going to Microsoft's website and opening up several documents from their site on stage.  

Check out the keynotes here: http://sunnetwork.sun.com/sf2003/conf/keynotes/index.en.jsp

-ChrisM

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #16 - Posted 2003-09-29 10:47:26 »

I wouldn't risk losing or not getting a job just because of Word.

I recently started using OpenOffice because I was always fighting with Word's 1001 wonderful ways of 'how to irritate people by screwing up your document by being "smart"'.  Angry
Or things like that damn paperclip popping up when you're about to finish your 50 page document asking "It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like some assistence?". Grrrrr: "NOOO SHUT THE F*CK UP. GO AWAY. I'M NOT WRITING A LETTER.".
I never found *all* options I have to turn off to get rid of all that stupid nonsense Embarrassed.
And after using OpenOffice for about 2 months I came to the conclusion I really like the OpenOffice's word alternative Cheesy. It works like a breeze and I can open and save word docs without problems.

My 2 cts.

Erik

Offline gregorypierce

Senior Devvie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2003-09-29 19:27:07 »

StarOffice 7 is certainly a good office replacement for what the vast majority of the world uses Office. I remember at the keynote at Sun network when the crowd was polled about how many people were using StarOffice/OpenOffice and there were lots of raised hands. When asked if the previous version was suitable - over 90% of those hands were still up and I think this was a surprised even to the Sun folks since they were about to talk about how cool the new version was Smiley

Offline larry

Junior Devvie

.. son of jor-el, kneel before zod ...

« Reply #18 - Posted 2003-10-03 10:47:13 »

Still, there seems to be repitively baaaaad signs from Sun's business targets.

I personally think their recent accomplishments with mobile devices is a good move...

but the way things are going I get this horrifying feeling that sun is slowly slipping below the horizon.... eclipsed by the dark shadow of Microsoft...( background darth vader theme tune).....

I guess its just survivial of the fittest and I hope its not the case a few years down the line, when we tell our kids bed stories "once apon a time, in a galaxy far far away there was a sun....
Offline William

Junior Devvie

No Exit

« Reply #19 - Posted 2003-10-03 11:11:33 »

As a sysadmin I also refuse to work in a place that doesn't run Outlook and Word. Without all the e-mail viruses being written for those two programs, I'd have nothing to do all day (just ask Valve).

* Ok, I'm not really a sysadmin Smiley *
Offline techclerk

Junior Newbie

ERROR Keyboard not present. Press F1 to continue

« Reply #20 - Posted 2003-10-04 23:53:21 »

on 29. Sep 2003 at 06:59, Captain-Goatse wrote:

I think employers should let you have MS Word if you wanted it badly enough to pay for it yourself.
Offline troggan

Junior Devvie

no guts no glory

« Reply #21 - Posted 2003-10-05 05:49:41 »

If the sysadmin thinks that ms word is not safe, he should have the right to forbid it.

if there happens something like the hl2-leak in his firm, he gets fired.

btw: i would forbid ms products Wink

(http://www.wannawork.de) - Will work for food
(http://tvbrowser.org) - Java EPG
Offline Jens

Senior Devvie

Java for games!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2003-10-05 07:06:12 »

+1 Grin

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #23 - Posted 2003-10-05 07:51:56 »

possible if you are starting fresh (maybe this Sun Java Desktop would do the trick - bosses like big name companies and it looks like the sysadmin job would be easier).  Kinda sucks when there is just too much legasy (think: Visual Basic, Access, VBA) crap that you'd be there till your hair was gray.

I was able to swich most of my office to Mozilla which is a start (I just changed the shortcut so it still showed the IE icon Wink) and managed to rid us of the *insert custom expleetive here* known as MS Exchange.

Will.

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Who, me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2003-10-05 09:10:07 »

Yeah, I'm hoping for big things from the Java Desktop Environment.  Let's hope their team wasn't cut in the recent cull...

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #25 - Posted 2003-10-05 12:16:44 »

In our office, MS Office is actively discouraged, and you aren't allowed it unless you have a really good reason (e.g. the finance people have a real need for Excel). The main reason is that we have people running a variety of desktop OS's (with good reason, not just on a whim!) and it's almost impossible to do document exchange etc with MSO products. We've also been bitten quite a few times where we sent MS Word documents (written entirely in MS Word) to a customer/partner/supplier and found that it didn't open/display properly their side.

All documentation etc is exported in XML, HTML and/or PDF - the latter for when it's destined for printed documentation. Happily, OpenOffice has supported "print as PS" since version 1.0, and "ps2pdf" works perfectly these days, both on linux and windows. Still, several of us are really looking forward to OO 1.1 and the File menu option "Save as PDF".

Experimentation shows that some bugs in Word are ONLY fixed when you are running windows XP - irrespective of the version of Word you're running!

Stuff like that is just far far too expensive for us to workaround (we can't fix it; it's MS's source code Sad) since we have less than a dozen employees. Open standards with editors/viewers that *actually work* are our only hope Smiley. Although linux software still sucks, and is riddled with bugs (OpenOffice 1.0.3 is extremely unstable, for instance), with everything saved as XML/HTML, we are spoilt for choice with editors and viewers, and can very easily (thanks to all the XML parsers) write our own custom renderers and processors.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Who, me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2003-10-05 23:02:05 »

And on that front, have you heard of FOP?  It's an Apache implementation of the FO standard for formatting XML data.  You should be able to write an XSL to turn your XML data into an FO document, then use FOP to render that straight to PDF.

It might be a useful thing to consider if you have a large number of documents to convert.

Offline Preston

Senior Devvie

Medals: 4

« Reply #27 - Posted 2003-10-06 04:54:24 »

Happily, OpenOffice has supported "print as PS" since version 1.0, and "ps2pdf" works perfectly these days, both on linux and windows. Still, several of us are really looking forward to OO 1.1 and the File menu option "Save as PDF".

OO 1.1 final version has been released just a few days ago. I'm going to use it when its localization is ready. :-)

Experimentation shows that some bugs in Word are ONLY fixed when you are running windows XP - irrespective of the version of Word you're running!

Yep, and the new "Office 2003" forces you to use Win2000-SP3 (but MS "recommends" WinXP) and if you want to use the application's team features you also need to use a Windows 2003 server. :-(

However, the harder MS tries to force their customers to do what MS wants them to do, the more they go away. There are enough people who are able to see Tolkiens "One Ring to rule them all" idea also in the IT market. In several European countries, for example, several government offices switched from MS to open standards and Opensource sofware like OO and Linux, with recommendations to others to do the same. Similar things happen in Asia, where (South-) Korea, Japan and China cooperate on an Openstandard/Opensource front (they intend to develop an own operating system which bases on Linux). Etc.

This leads to the original topic. Like Javalobby's Rick put it:
I have a strong and growing sense that the era in which the Java value proposition will flourish is just about to arrive. We can see the beginnings of the fragmenting of Windows hegemony taking place already. For example, it is a big deal when several major Asian countries may decide to get together to pool resources and develop an operating system alternative that doesn't fill the coffers at Redmond any further! One thing I have confidence in is that Java will run on those systems, and I'm betting it will run really well! Those systems will serve hundreds of millions of people, if not billions.

This will be good to SUN, to all Java developers - and so also to us Java game fans. :-)

(By the way, I like the idea that Asia will show the IT world the way to go away from MS-Sauron. They, let's say Korea and Japan, already produce the best movies, so... :-)
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (30 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (23 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (50 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (45 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (59 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (57 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (123 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org