Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (575)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Outdated certificates in JWS JOGL libraries  (Read 8444 times)
Offline rune.aasgaard

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Posted 2009-05-08 11:57:17 »

The certificates have expired at the official jogl Java Web Start libraries at : http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-1.1.1/webstart/jogl.jnlp, and now my users are complaining about the nasty looking warning messages. Could somebody at SUN care to upgrade the jars?

Rune
Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 84
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-05-08 12:20:20 »

Same as the applet launcher, Sun is being sloppy with renewing the certificates.

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline gouessej
« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-05-08 19:52:07 »

Please send an email to Kenneth Russell to ask for updating the certificate.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline rune.aasgaard

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-05-09 18:08:16 »

I have mailed him, even before I posted a message here. Nothing happened yet....

R
Offline BIS

Junior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-05-12 12:45:30 »

I will add my own to what I imagine is a flood of emails.

This is very, very bad. My work is currently being reviewed by a publisher and a professional society. The reviewers are not going to be impressed with error warning dialogs. I've put too much work into this project to see it torpedoed because Sun is too stingy/disorganized to re-up on their code signing certificates.

Frankly, this is just the sort of thing that I was afraid of when I decided to use Sun/Java/JOGL technology. This is incredibly irresponsible.
Offline sulim

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-05-12 14:14:07 »

i was having the same issue, but i've since move to LWJGL as JOGL seems dead.

LWJGL is much more regularly updated, faster, has more features and not dependant on Sun who have a pretty lousy track record on fixing stuff.

It also seems to have a large community behind it so less likely to die like JOGL.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-05-13 10:47:31 »

i was having the same issue, but i've since move to LWJGL as JOGL seems dead.

LWJGL is much more regularly updated, faster, has more features and not dependant on Sun who have a pretty lousy track record on fixing stuff.

It also seems to have a large community behind it so less likely to die like JOGL.
As I already said, JOGL is not dead.

I sent an email to Mr Russell and to Mr Goethel a few minutes ago, I assume the certificates will be updated in a few days. Sorry for the disturbance.

Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-05-13 18:03:54 »

We're working on getting the new signing certificate. Sorry for the disturbance.

Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-05-18 23:32:45 »

Updates to the GlueGen runtime 1.0b06, JOGL 1.1.1, JOAL 1.1.2 and Java 3D 1.5.2 have been pushed out revising the signing certificate used for these binaries. As an added, though arguably dubious, benefit, if you are running Java SE 6 Update 10 or later you will not even need to accept a security dialog.

Note though that due to bugs in Java Web Start which apparently still haven't been fixed you may need to clear out your Java Web Start cache. If you see UnsatisfiedLinkErrors against JOGL then try that.

Apologies for how long this took.

Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-05-18 23:34:29 »

Forgot about the JNLPAppletLauncher, which has also been updated.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-05-19 04:53:58 »

if you are running Java SE 6 Update 10 or later you will not even need to accept a security dialog.
How is this made posible?
Would that be made possible for LWJGL too ?

Offline gouessej
« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-05-19 05:40:10 »

Updates to the GlueGen runtime 1.0b06, JOGL 1.1.1, JOAL 1.1.2 and Java 3D 1.5.2 have been pushed out revising the signing certificate used for these binaries. As an added, though arguably dubious, benefit, if you are running Java SE 6 Update 10 or later you will not even need to accept a security dialog.

Note though that due to bugs in Java Web Start which apparently still haven't been fixed you may need to clear out your Java Web Start cache. If you see UnsatisfiedLinkErrors against JOGL then try that.

Apologies for how long this took.

Thank you very much. [size=20pt]JOGL is not dead![/size] It is very interesting... no security dialog Smiley

Offline Glex

Senior Newbie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-05-19 14:33:35 »

Thank you very much. [size=20pt]JOGL is not dead![/size] It is very interesting... no security dialog Smiley

Was jogl.dev.java.net updated? As far as I can see no.
Offline BIS

Junior Newbie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-05-19 19:12:07 »

Thanks to Ken et al.

Wink

Now, if I can only get the JavaHelp people to update THEIR distribution's signature, I'll be a happy camper.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-05-20 11:45:54 »

Was jogl.dev.java.net updated? As far as I can see no.
This is not the subject of this thread. When I read your message, I checked that nothing was wrong with the JOGL link:
http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-1.1.1/webstart/jogl.jnlp

Everything is fine, I'm under Java 1.6 update 13, I have even no security popup, it is excellent. Therefore, as I already said, JOGL is not dead Cheesy

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 404
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-05-20 12:01:41 »

OK so it seems there is a certificate Sun can use to push native libraries to the client without a security popup. We'd rather like to get ahold of that certificate for LWJGL. What's the score?

Cas Smiley

Offline renanse

Junior Duke

Intelligence is light to a dark world.

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-05-20 12:48:43 »

OK so it seems there is a certificate Sun can use to push native libraries to the client without a security popup.

I wonder how they decide who gets to use that special cert.  Seems a bit unfair if one GL binding can and another can not...   Roll Eyes

Renanse  (ruh-NON-say)
Offline ryanm

Senior Duke

Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-05-20 13:06:42 »

What's the score?

I'm going to predict an exchange something like this:

LWJGL: "Can we use your magic certificate please?"
Sun: "No."

Perhaps there'll be some kind of verification process for which libs can be submitted in order to use Sun's certificate, but it'll be slow and expensive.

It is interesting that they've done this for JOGL though, as it exposes huge globs of native code (that Sun has no control over) directly to malicious applet writers. It's going to be difficult to explain to an irate user that his pwned machine is the fault of his vulnerable graphics driver and not the invisible applet that accessed it.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-05-20 15:22:14 »

I wonder how they decide who gets to use that special cert.  Seems a bit unfair if one GL binding can and another can not...   Roll Eyes
Is the behavior of JMonkeyEngine programmers fair? JME 2 pretends to support JOGL but when some bugs are found in the JOGL renderer, it is not considered as important as bugs in the LWJGL renderer. "Charité bien ordonnée commence par soi-même" -> before complaining about Sun's behavior, some people should teach their own lessons to themselves. Remind me who wrote the JOGL renderer of Ardor3D please.

it exposes huge globs of native code (that Sun has no control over) directly to malicious applet writers. It's going to be difficult to explain to an irate user that his pwned machine is the fault of his vulnerable graphics driver and not the invisible applet that accessed it.
It would be the same if LWJGL was able to benefit of this certificate and some people would program applets with it. If you really think Sun should not use this kind of certificate because it exposes huge globs of not controlled native code to malicious applet writers and if you are coherent, you won't wish that LWJGL benefits of it neither.

Offline ryanm

Senior Duke

Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-05-20 15:57:17 »

It would be the same if LWJGL was able to benefit of this certificate and some people would program applets with it. If you really think Sun should not use this kind of certificate because it exposes huge globs of not controlled native code to malicious applet writers and if you are coherent, you won't wish that LWJGL benefits of it neither.
I agree with your analysis of your hallucination of my position.
Undecided
Is this just a language barrier, or are you really this angry all the time?
Offline renanse

Junior Duke

Intelligence is light to a dark world.

« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-05-20 17:19:19 »

Is the behavior of JMonkeyEngine programmers fair? JME 2 pretends to support JOGL but when some bugs are found in the JOGL renderer, it is not considered as important as bugs in the LWJGL renderer. "Charité bien ordonnée commence par soi-même" -> before complaining about Sun's behavior, some people should teach their own lessons to themselves. Remind me who wrote the JOGL renderer of Ardor3D please.

Um... ok?  As I recall, Steve Vaughan over at SRA wrote what he needed of a Jogl port and donated it.  Very nice of him to do that too.  Not sure why you have this chip on your shoulder, but personally I've never claimed it was a complete drop in replacement for jME's lwjgl impl.  I think they've improved it some since I left jME last year though.

Renanse  (ruh-NON-say)
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-05-20 18:18:57 »

A while ago there was discussion within Sun about the possibility of signing third-party code that had been suitably audited. I'll ask one of the members of the Java security team to look at this thread and comment.

For what it's worth, I personally have no desire to put JOGL at an unfair advantage or LWJGL at an unfair disadvantage.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-05-20 18:57:28 »

It'd be nice to fast-track it seeing as we've been on about it for, oooh, years Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-05-20 19:01:00 »

I'm sure the LWJGL team will be happy to make any security changes needed to get it approved too.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-05-20 21:26:12 »

I believe it's already watertight.

Cas Smiley

Offline kikigey89

Junior Newbie

« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-05-27 18:22:59 »

Hello all together,

for a few weeks I get the following message when starting my applet:
java.io.IOException: Cannot validate certificate for jogl.dll
java.io.IOException: Cannot validate certificate for gluegen-rt.dll

Now I read this topic but I don't now, what to do. Is there an update? Which jnlp-File I have to call up?
Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-05-28 06:02:55 »

Are you using local copies of the files? if so re download them or use the one hosted by sun.

Otherwise post your jnlp file.

Offline kikigey89

Junior Newbie

« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-05-28 11:55:32 »

In my PHP-file I'm using this code:

<applet id="test" name="test" mayscript code="org.jdesktop.applet.util.JNLPAppletLauncher" width=743 height=558 archive="applet-launcher.jar, test.jar">
  <param name="codebase_lookup" value="false" />
  <param name="subapplet.classname" value="gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.applet.TestApplet" />
  <param name="subapplet.displayname" value="Test" />
  <param name="noddraw.check" value="true" />
  <param name="progressbar" value="true" />
  <param name="jnlpNumExtensions" value="1" />
  <param name="jnlpExtension1" value="http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-webstart-current/jogl.jnlp" />
</applet>

I also deleted the cached files.

But: In my test.jar, there is a jogl.jar and gluegen-rt.jar included (I created a Fat Jar with Eclipse).
Could it be, that the error is from these files? If yes, where can I get the new files with new certificates?
But offline in Eclipse it works. And when I delete the extension parameters of my applet code, I get a message if I want to disable Java's DirectDraw. If I click on "Yes", I get a message "Unable to open properties file" and there it ends. It doesn't work.
Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #28 - Posted 2009-05-28 12:03:12 »

Oh, a fat jar? That isn't necessary. Go back to the example they use at the applet launcher page and all will work splendidly for ya.

https://applet-launcher.dev.java.net/

If you really want to use a fat jar you need to redownload the applet launcher, jogl and gluegen jars.

Offline kikigey89

Junior Newbie

« Reply #29 - Posted 2009-05-28 19:43:53 »

Thanks! That part works now. But another not... I can create my Jar (Fat Jar as well) but when trying to start it, I get the following messages:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gov.nasa.worldwind.WorldWind
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.applet.TestApplet.stop(TestApplet.java:326)
   at org.jdesktop.applet.util.JNLPAppletLauncher.stop(JNLPAppletLauncher.java:927)
   at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
JNLPAppletLauncher: static initializer
os.name = windows xp
nativePrefix =   nativeSuffix = .dll
tmpRootDir = C:\DOKUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\jnlp-applet\jln118218448536438533
Applet.init
subapplet.classname = gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.applet.TestApplet
subapplet.displayname = Test
Applet.start
os.name = windows xp
os.arch = x86
processNativeJar: using previously cached: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\[My Name]\.jnlp-applet\cache\localhost\01182800353d4550f1a3d260703eb7074a5def1b\jogl-natives-windows-i586.jar
validateCertificates:
VALIDATE: jogl.dll
VALIDATE: jogl_awt.dll
VALIDATE: jogl_cg.dll
extractNativeLibs:
EXTRACT: jogl.dll(jogl)
EXTRACT: jogl_awt.dll(jogl_awt)
EXTRACT: jogl_cg.dll(jogl_cg)
processNativeJar: using previously cached: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\[My Name]\.jnlp-applet\cache\localhost\01182800353d4550f1a3d260703eb7074a5def1b\gluegen-rt-natives-windows-i586.jar
validateCertificates:
VALIDATE: gluegen-rt.dll
extractNativeLibs:
EXTRACT: gluegen-rt.dll(gluegen-rt)
JNLPAppletLauncher.loadLibrary("jogl")
    loading: C:\DOKUME~1\CHRIST~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\jnlp-applet\jln118218448536438533\jln6693041931166781508\jogl.dll
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.WorldWind.createConfigurationComponent(WorldWind.java:178)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.WorldWind.initialize(WorldWind.java:43)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.WorldWind.<init>(WorldWind.java:37)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.WorldWind.<clinit>(WorldWind.java:26)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.awt.WorldWindowGLCanvas.<init>(WorldWindowGLCanvas.java:55)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.applet.TestApplet.init(TestApplet.java:244)
   at org.jdesktop.applet.util.JNLPAppletLauncher.startSubApplet(JNLPAppletLauncher.java:1929)
   at org.jdesktop.applet.util.JNLPAppletLauncher.access$200(JNLPAppletLauncher.java:658)
   at org.jdesktop.applet.util.JNLPAppletLauncher$5.run(JNLPAppletLauncher.java:1269)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission gov.nasa.worldwind.config.file read)
   at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.Configuration.initializeCustom(Configuration.java:88)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:46)
   at gov.nasa.worldwind.Configuration.<clinit>(Configuration.java:34)
   ... 17 more

I tested the new applet call up code with the old Fat Jar (with old jogl.dll and gluegen-rt.dll) and that works perfect.

<applet id="test" name="test" mayscript code="org.jdesktop.applet.util.JNLPAppletLauncher" width=743 height=558 archive="test.jar, http://download.java.net/media/applet-launcher/applet-launcher.jar, http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-webstart-current/jogl.jar, http://download.java.net/media/gluegen/webstart/gluegen-rt.jar">
  <param name="codebase_lookup" value="false" />
  <param name="subapplet.classname" value="gov.nasa.worldwind.examples.applet.TestApplet" />
  <param name="subapplet.displayname" value="Test" />
  <param name="noddraw.check" value="true" />
  <param name="progressbar" value="true" />
  <param name="jnlpNumExtensions" value="1" />
  <param name="jnlpExtension1" value=" http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-webstart-current/jogl.jnlp" />
</applet>

But I guess, that combination (Fat Jar with old certificates, new code [see above]) isn't a good one...
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (33 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (25 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (26 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (40 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (74 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org