Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Xenplat - full release! 1.05 final!  (Read 10498 times)
Offline CyanPrime
« Posted 2009-04-22 05:49:35 »

I've been working on Xenplat for about 2 weeks, and this is what I've gotten. It's my first game in JOGL, and uses my map and object editors for levels. It will be open sourced later on.

Play it now!

--Controls--
Z: Fire
UP/X: Jump
LEFT: Left
RIGHT: Right
F!: restart
Offline gouessej
« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-04-22 07:45:01 »

Hi!

It is fine. I like the artworks, it is quite playable, the download time is very short (I've got the optic fiber here), it is a good start. How can I kill the guys?  Grin

Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-04-22 07:48:03 »

Hi!

It is fine. I like the artworks, it is quite playable, the download time is very short (I've got the optic fiber here), it is a good start. How can I kill the guys?  Grin
Oh, sorry! You press Z to fire, up to jump, and the other arrows to walk. Thank you for your feedback  Grin
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-04-22 09:26:56 »

Won't start for me. It can't find JOGL.

Play Minecraft!
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-04-22 09:43:10 »

quite fun. Glad you released.

it kinda makes me feel like ethen hunt (mission impossible) when I just leap out and a block apears under me  Cool.
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-04-22 09:54:24 »

Won't start for me. It can't find JOGL.
On the .jnlp?
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-04-22 10:25:49 »

Er, now it worked. I just ran it again.
The first time, there was some exception about not being able to find JOGL.

[edit:]

Why do you use JOGL? This could be done in pure java. =)
The jumping feels a bit stiff, you should have smooth gravity based jumping instead of just moving the player straight up and then moving him straight down.

The character and monster graphics are not bad at all, but the background is severely lacking. I assume you know this already. Wink

Play Minecraft!
Offline gouessej
« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-04-22 13:10:42 »

Why do you use JOGL? This could be done in pure java. =)
Admit that JOGL can be faster than pure Java if it is used carefully.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-04-22 13:22:01 »

Absolutely, but pure java is smaller, runs in unsigned applets (and unsigned webstart), and has less chance of crashing the computer.

Play Minecraft!
Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2
Exp: 14 years

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:12:19 »

Runs smoothly here.  No lag or jumpiness.

The character artwork is good, but the background needs a lot of work.(As Markus said you probably already know this.)

You should allow the bullet to go a little farther before disappearing.

All in all you are on the right track.  Good work.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-04-22 22:16:07 »

Absolutely, but pure java is smaller, runs in unsigned applets (and unsigned webstart), and has less chance of crashing the computer.
Pure Java is smaller but it is possible to use JOGL in unsigned applets (Lillian Chamontin did this as far as I know) and I use JOGL because it is very reliable. Pure Java has only a very very little bit less chance of crashing the computer whereas I remind you that I still get a pretty black screen when I try to play with a game deployed as an applet and using another binding of OpenGL for Java...  Kiss (I wasn't speaking about GL4Java as it works fine on my "old" machine lol).

Offline DzzD
« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-04-22 22:47:33 »

using JOGL you "open the door" to more bugs & compatibilities issue : specific drivers ,unavailable OGL function, difference in rendering (depend uppon GC setting), quite instable, system crash etc.. => there is already enought problem in online compatibility with pure java, no need to add more

not really good idea to use jogl when not requiered for online gaming where your main goal should be compatibiltie , easy & fast to run.

specific JVM + Opengl + signed == probably more than 50% users less

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 4
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-04-23 04:19:50 »

well it seems promising ....
I can just say that the jumping need a little physics ...
and just something that happened to me, when I tried to jump in one of those disappering blocks, it appeared as I was falling, so I got locked in the middle of the block .. I dunno if that's the way it was meant to be, but I guess the character should keep falling ...

good luck on the project !

Offline gouessej
« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-04-23 07:29:21 »

using JOGL you "open the door" to more bugs & compatibilities issue : specific drivers ,unavailable OGL function, difference in rendering (depend uppon GC setting), quite instable, system crash etc.. => there is already enought problem in online compatibility with pure java, no need to add more

not really good idea to use jogl when not requiered for online gaming where your main goal should be compatibiltie , easy & fast to run.

specific JVM + Opengl + signed == probably more than 50% users less

That is why I said it should be used carefully. It is possible to check if a method is unavailable, it is possible to get some information about the driver to work around very specific bugs (as I did for the ATI Radeon Xpress) and JOGL IS NOT QUITE INSTABLE! Lol you're still promoting software rendering. I admit that the use of JOGL in a 2D game is not required but I really think it is a good solution for 3D even though some nice 3D games use software rendering (Bloodridge, Tesseract).

I assume CyanPrime uses his game as a pedagogical pretext to learn OpenGL in Java with JOGL and I encourage him to keep it up Cheesy

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-04-23 08:08:31 »

Pure Java is smaller but it is possible to use JOGL in unsigned applets (Lillian Chamontin did this as far as I know) and I use JOGL because it is very reliable. Pure Java has only a very very little bit less chance of crashing the computer whereas I remind you that I still get a pretty black screen when I try to play with a game deployed as an applet and using another binding of OpenGL for Java...  Kiss (I wasn't speaking about GL4Java as it works fine on my "old" machine lol).

I don't think that's possible - jogl requires dll's which can't run unless you request all permissions in the webstart.

Also, OpenGL in whatever form is definitely a lot less stable than java2D. I haven't found a JOGL/LWJGL game/demo that always works on every computer.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-04-23 09:29:52 »

Could we please stop off-topicing this thread? Not every mention of jogl has to turn into a big discussion.

Play Minecraft!
Offline gouessej
« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-04-23 10:08:10 »

I don't think that's possible - jogl requires dll's which can't run unless you request all permissions in the webstart.

Also, OpenGL in whatever form is definitely a lot less stable than java2D. I haven't found a JOGL/LWJGL game/demo that always works on every computer.
Zoltar's return by Lilian Chamontin was an excellent example. As far as I know, TUER works on every computer with Java 1.6 (that excludes some Mac users unfortunately Sad) and at least OpenGL 1.2, it includes a lot of machines.

Could we please stop off-topicing this thread? Not every mention of jogl has to turn into a big discussion.
Then, you can come here and say something against JOGL: "Why do you use JOGL? This could be done in pure java. =)" but I should not defend another viewpoint, shouldn't I? It is not fair! You consider your post was not off topic whereas it deals with JOGL too.

Xenplat is interesting and I encourage the author to go on using the API that he wants to use, with or without JOGL. It works nice here at work even with the crappy ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Smiley The shoots are fine too.

Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-04-26 06:40:20 »

Alright, the system is now at 1.0. Now I just need to add in more levels. I added a new demo with a new level after the first one. Please let me know what you think. Also you can now press F1 to die.
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-04-26 09:11:44 »

Added a minimap to the next version. It'll be out before july with 10 levels.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-04-26 09:42:00 »

Alright, the system is now at 1.0. Now I just need to add in more levels. I added a new demo with a new level after the first one. Please let me know what you think. Also you can now press F1 to die.
Nice level  Grin I have finished your both levels. The mini map is a good idea, especially for bigger levels, it will be useful in the next version.

Do you plan to release the source code? It would be useful for people who are looking for examples of platform games using JOGL and as your game has a nice gameplay, it would be interesting for the users of the FGF players' portal.

Keep it up  Grin

Offline DzzD
« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-04-26 12:04:47 »

I am unable to pass those "appear" "disappear" boxes, could become a very  nice game

Offline SimonH
« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-04-26 16:19:11 »

After my last clear out of webstart junk (loads of 4k games in my windows installed programs??! How the heck did they get there?) I decided I'd not play any more webstart games unless there was a very good reason to play them (ie lots of rave reviews).
Casual games should be applets - the more accessible your game the more feedback you'll get!

People make games and games make people
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-04-26 16:32:20 »

After my last clear out of webstart junk (loads of 4k games in my windows installed programs??! How the heck did they get there?) I decided I'd not play any more webstart games unless there was a very good reason to play them (ie lots of rave reviews).
Casual games should be applets - the more accessible your game the more feedback you'll get!
Yes I agree. I had to do large clean out, it was full of them. But seems if your cache is cleared then the uninstallers stay and you have to use special programs to remove them.
The user should have the option if there going to be installed or just temp stored and where it will be installed too.
I hope webstart gets improved in Java 7.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline DzzD
« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-04-26 19:20:04 »

I thought about mentionning that you could have done it Applet in my last post but did not dare, now I can Smiley, so :

you should better turn it into an Applet Wink

Offline gouessej
« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-04-26 21:46:00 »

I thought about mentionning that you could have done it Applet in my last post but did not dare, now I can Smiley, so :

you should better turn it into an Applet Wink
I disagree with you. CyanPrime, do as you wish but on my view, using Java Webstart for your game is fine, if you decide to convert it into an applet then watch JOGL gears and the explanations with it.

Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-04-26 21:47:41 »

I disagree with you. CyanPrime, do as you wish but on my view, using Java Webstart for your game is fine, if you decide to convert it into an applet then watch JOGL gears and the explanations with it.
I think I'm going to convert it to an applet, just to try it out. I'm getting  a strange error though where my paint is messing up. It's in the JOGL section here if you want to check it out.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-04-26 21:49:49 »

I think I'm going to convert it to an applet, just to try it out. I'm getting  a strange error though where my paint is messing up. It's in the JOGL section here if you want to check it out.
Be more precise please. Where can I give it a try?

Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-04-26 21:52:13 »

Be more precise please. Where can I give it a try?
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/java-applet-paint-not-working-urgent/20359/view.html
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #28 - Posted 2009-04-26 22:13:19 »

What if I just released it as a .jar? no applet, and no webstart?
Offline DzzD
« Reply #29 - Posted 2009-04-26 22:19:28 »

What if I just released it as a .jar? no applet, and no webstart?

you should be able to do both (WebStart & Jar) easily, but, IMHO, the most user friendly will be Applet.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (34 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org