Oracle buying Sun  (Read 11041 times)
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #30 - Posted 2009-04-21 00:27:15 »

It would be real shame if the Java VM dies for the browser. I believe it's the best way forward for integrating "real" applications into the browser, if only they managed to modularize it and improve startup-time.Sadly, in terms for graphics, Flash is king.

Got this one wrong a bit. Java crushes Flash when it comes to graphics capabilities. Even Flash devs will admit that. Flash, however, does have fantastic tools. That's where Flash shines.

Offline Mr_Light

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #31 - Posted 2009-04-21 00:56:52 »

i think this link hasn't been posted yet:
http://www.oracle.com/sun/sun-faq.pdf

time will show
Interesting

This I didn't know:
The Sun Solaris operating system is the leading platform for the Oracle database.
Sounds like good news for (open)solaris - I'm still thinking of buying that Toshiba notebook with opensolaris pre-loaded
What will Oracle do with Sun’s hardware business?
Oracle plans to grow the Sun hardware business after the closing,
protecting Sun customers’ investments and ensuring the long-term
viability of Sun products.
I guess they aren't going to sell it to Fujitsu - if you asked me last week I wouldn't have expected Oracle to enter that space.

It's also interesting how vague they are about java in that faq.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline bienator

OutOfCoffeeException

« Reply #32 - Posted 2009-04-21 10:34:56 »

i found esp this item interesting:
How is this acquisition expected to impact any existing project, deployment, or services engagements?

It is not expected that this transaction will impact any existing project, deployment or services engagement.

(think about OpenOffice, Solaris, VirtualBox, NetBeans, MySql, JavaFX...)

to good to be true - time will show Wink

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #33 - Posted 2009-04-21 10:44:37 »

Does anyone know what Oracle's relationship with microsoft is?

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #34 - Posted 2009-04-21 10:54:25 »

Does anyone know what Oracle's relationship with microsoft is?

they pretty much hate each others guts  Grin
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #35 - Posted 2009-04-21 11:38:00 »

Got this one wrong a bit. Java crushes Flash when it comes to graphics capabilities. Even Flash devs will admit that. Flash, however, does have fantastic tools. That's where Flash shines.

Well..

Flash is a lot faster and more stable when it comes to alpha blended images, unless you manage to set your java environment up just right with heaps of black voodoo magic that you can't rely on your customers to do.
Plus for rapid prototyping, flash does a lot of things for you so you don't have to worry about it. Doing a simple vector graphics importer/renderer in java is many days of development, and comes for free right out of the box in flash, with an optional bitmap caching button (right in the ide!) for speed.

Flash does suck, however. Wink

The dirty rectangles code is seemingly random, adding/removing objects to the scenegraph can be very slow (especially in the latest version of flash), and code runs painfully slow compared to java or c.

Play Minecraft!
Offline Cero
« Reply #36 - Posted 2009-04-21 14:20:54 »

I jsut gotta say oen thing, no "google is evil" off-shoots ok Tongue.

google is dangerous.

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 49

« Reply #37 - Posted 2009-04-21 14:41:55 »

google is dangerous.
LOL, let's start over again  Tongue

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #38 - Posted 2009-04-21 14:51:37 »

*goes and puts head in microwave*
Offline Cero
« Reply #39 - Posted 2009-04-21 16:01:02 »

Google is like the autocrat in the digital world in terms of information.

It is actually pretty dangerous.

But little offtopic of course =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocracy

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #40 - Posted 2009-04-21 16:11:55 »

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

we have already been through it...
Offline Cero
« Reply #41 - Posted 2009-04-21 17:02:57 »

But I didn't participate last time x)

Nah no worries, aint the forum for that

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 49

« Reply #42 - Posted 2009-04-22 08:57:04 »

But I didn't participate last time x)

Read it here: http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/ibm-to-buy-sun-for-7-billion/20112/view.html

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 12

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #43 - Posted 2009-04-22 11:02:41 »

i think this link hasn't been posted yet:
http://www.oracle.com/sun/sun-faq.pdf

time will show

Indeed :-

Oracle can now ensure continued innovation and investment in Java technology for the benefit of customers and the Java community

Not the sort of vague assurance I would want to build a business or product upon persecutioncomplex

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 799
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #44 - Posted 2009-04-22 13:48:40 »

Oracle expected to axe jobs -- perhaps 10,000 -- after Sun deal

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9131864

"Oracle will rapidly rationalize Sun's cost base," the firm said in a report. "This means general layoffs and a reshaping of cost centers such as services and support."

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #45 - Posted 2009-04-22 13:51:14 »

[sorry, forum duplicated posting after editing again]

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #46 - Posted 2009-04-22 13:57:50 »

"This means general layoffs and a reshaping of cost centers such as services and support."
I hope that doesn't mean too many bad news for client side technologies.  Shocked

Offline SimonH
« Reply #47 - Posted 2009-04-22 13:58:36 »

According to the Guardian;
All round, the deal doesn't sound like bad news for Sun customers: it's better than Sun being bought by IBM, or going bust. However, some could soon find that Oracle's sales droids aren't the sort of pussy cats who'd gravitate towards Sun. Sun boss Jonathan Schwartz has been known as My Little Pony, but Larry is reputedly somewhat closer to Ming the Merciless.
Quick! Call Dan Dare!

People make games and games make people
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #48 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:01:00 »

Oracle expected to axe jobs -- perhaps 10,000 -- after Sun deal

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9131864

"Oracle will rapidly rationalize Sun's cost base," the firm said in a report. "This means general layoffs and a reshaping of cost centers such as services and support."

damn thats 1/3 of the total number of people Sun employs. I hope we don't lose JGO.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #49 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:03:04 »

That really really stinks. I hope they won't just be gutting Sun for its valuable (but boring) j2ee stuff.  Making cuts to desktop java right now would be such a waste. It feels like java is getting very close to beating flash with the new plugin and focus on the consumer...

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #50 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:04:16 »

How many employees are in cost centers? I guess a lot, considering the number of products/hardware Sun has.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #51 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:08:00 »

That really really stinks. I hope they won't just be gutting Sun for its valuable (but boring) j2ee stuff.  Making cuts to desktop java right now would be such a waste.

Desktop is not where the money's at. It will be the first to get its budget reduced, I think.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #52 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:16:15 »

Why would Oracle slash in such investments as JavaFX and consumer JRE? I mean, I guess Sun saw great market potential right? RIA technologies are a big market these days. That's why Adobe and Microsoft are investing that much right?

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #53 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:25:46 »

I wouldn't be surprised if all non-EE development (which means JavaFX, the new applet plugin, modular jre, and merging of client and server vms) to basically halt or slow down to a crawl. Get used to 1.6 ladies and gentlemen, because it's all we're getting on the client side for a long, long time.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #54 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:27:42 »

Why would Oracle slash in such investments as JavaFX and consumer JRE? I mean, I guess Sun saw great market potential right? RIA technologies are a big market these days. That's why Adobe and Microsoft are investing that much right?

The problem with Sun is that they excel at techinical stuff, and have a very hard time to get the enduser-experience right. JavaFX is nowhere near Flash or Silverlight, in nearly any aspect, even performance. It's simply doomed without serious investments, and a serious look of people not too technically inclined. Additionally, Oracle took over, and they don't seem to give a rats ass about clientside.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #55 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:34:34 »

I agree JavaFX is far from mature but I don't agree it has such weaknesses. Have you looked at the language, the graphics API, the performance numbers, the natural integration with Java? Sure performance isn't at the level of many Java graphics APIs but saying it's slower than Flash or Silverlight, I don't think so? You must know that JavaFX runs in the JRE, which runs in hotspot VM, which highly and aggressively optimize code on the fly. To my knowledge, Flash and Silverlight don't have such advantages.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #56 - Posted 2009-04-22 14:52:46 »

I've yet to see a JavaFX app that runs smoothly. Seriously, they tend to render a few dozen shapes and completely hog the CPU.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #57 - Posted 2009-04-22 16:09:03 »

That's not what I've seen on CPU usage. On my side it was low. Anyway, this is all due to the technology not being mature I guess.

Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #58 - Posted 2009-04-22 16:54:06 »

Well hopefully the next version 1.5? will fix performance.
I have seen some nice apps that is ok on the cpu though.

The first version of Silverlight was total crap and I still rarely see any SL2 apps out on the net.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #59 - Posted 2009-04-22 19:02:00 »

I wouldn't be surprised if all non-EE development (which means JavaFX, the new applet plugin, modular jre, and merging of client and server vms) to basically halt or slow down to a crawl. Get used to 1.6 ladies and gentlemen, because it's all we're getting on the client side for a long, long time.

Unfortunately that's my guestimation too. Oracle are known for running a business to maximise profit. They are harsh with cutting bits that are not financially viable. It would not surprise me to see the JDK remain free (as in beer), but the J2EE runtime for commercial deployment become a paid for item, much like their existing DB products. Oracle have declared a distaste for netbeans in the past, so that might go. Java webstart, Applets, JavaFX and Swing are history unless Oracle figure out how to make money at it. J2ME might hang around as I'm sure the handset manufacturers contribute to Oracles profits, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is not much further development.

I hope I'm being overly pessimistic, ultimately only time will tell. There are still regulatory hurdles, which I think will take a few months to get approved, then after that, Oracle will have a good look at it's acquisition. I guess it will be around a year before we start to see the fall out from this.

Endolf

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (9 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (28 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (18 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (27 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (29 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (46 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (102 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org