Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The main problem with this community  (Read 19613 times)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 404
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #120 - Posted 2009-04-15 15:30:32 »

Sun has a couple of billion in the bank...

Cas Smiley

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #121 - Posted 2009-04-15 18:12:21 »

.....Which they need as a defensive measure.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #122 - Posted 2009-04-16 20:35:08 »

This topic sprung up magically overnight without me noticing? How? 5 pages? Woah!

I read everything up to some of page 4, then I realized I was reading the same stuff and my eyes were hurting.  Tongue

This is one of the most heated topics I've ever seen on JGO, but really that's not so surprising to me. This sort of thing always seems to come up from time to time.

I'll start by saying that I've been here since 2005 and I've never had any complaints about it. My first post looks like it was asking for some help on LWJGL (how did I survive any Java development before JGO?). I've noticed what appears to be the typical evolution of code forum members (you start by asking for help on something, then when you like the answers you've been getting and you learn a bit you start helping others) is very strong here, more so than other places. After spending a couple years just coming back here and there to ask more questions and occasionally answer a few, I eventually made myself an actual part of the community and began coming here regularly. My favorite button is "Show unread posts since last visit." And in all that time I can truly say that I've had an absolutely wonderful experience here at JGO.

It's a great community, and although I never got a ton of responses to my games, I also rarely showed off completed ones (because I rarely complete games :-)). A part of me naturally wants everyone to acknowledge me as super amazing, but I also know that I simply haven't earned that over in the showcase section, and almost nobody have. If you look at the really good polished quality games, Virus Effect for example, you'll notice that people really truly want to come back and see more of it. Because it's fun. My games usually have about 2 pages of posts maximum, the first page being "I got this Exception." Just like ChrisM said, you need to earn the right to have people come and look at your game. Everyone on this forum comes here to enjoy themselves and they do it usually in their sparingly short amounts of free time. So if your game is not something that they enjoy playing, it naturally follows that they will not play it. I think it's really childish to whine about that fact - instead think about what might be causing it.

As for Cas being a complete asshole to Julian... I don't think that's the right way to be either. It is not the point of JGO to tell someone that their game sucks. It's the point to say, "this isn't really fun to me at this point - maybe you could improve it here and here." Just telling someone that something sucks accomplishes nothing. I haven't personally been able to play TUER because it needs Java 6, but that's a moot point. Either way the criticism needs to be constructive. I don't agree that telling someone their game sucks so bad that they shouldn't waste any more time on it is constructive. Cas's point was that if we had all said that in the first stages of TUER maybe Julian would have better spent his time somewhere else. But that's ridiculous. The point of almost every game any JGO makes is not to make money, but to learn more about programming. Julian learned raycasting and yadda yadda doing it, so it's not wasted time. From the other angle, when Julian holds TUER high in the air like it's the best thing ever, as well as linking newbies to it (verbally or otherwise) as an example, is also ridiculous. There are lots better games than TUER. There are lots better games than Robo Rampage. That's sort of the point of a developer forum - we're not working on a professional team with these games. Even though I am professionally developing a game in a team with artists and all that, I don't talk about it here because that's not what JGO is for. JGO is about the development of the games, not about the final product. So if I'm developing something behind closed doors with or without an NDA there's no purpose to bringing it here. Notice that PoxNora did nothing but put their game in the showcase when it was done - that's because they knew what they were making and they did it as a team. People come here for the discussion, the critique, and the peer review. So all things concluded any game talked about on JGO probably is not very good in the grand scheme of things.

I know that all my games suck. But they're fun to make so I'm going to keep doing it. And JGO is a fun place to talk with others about making the games, so I'll keep doing that too.

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #123 - Posted 2009-04-17 08:09:29 »

personaly It doesnt matter that much to me whether people reply or not.

But it is a moral booster when someone says "hey this is a cool game, I am excited to see where oyu go with this" or something like that.

The best part, is figuring out waht was wrong with the game. Finding out why you get taht exception and then fixing it.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #124 - Posted 2009-04-17 09:48:37 »

ps. I didn't mean to be an asshole to Julien, but I did want to speak my mind about a general trend of which he is a great example. I admire his enthusiasm but if no-one steps in to really speak their minds about things, no-one's going to get any better. Although... as the disappearance of Kev goes to show - it might just be that I've moved on so far from the purposes of this forum that I shouldn't probably be here either.

Cas Smiley

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #125 - Posted 2009-04-17 10:48:40 »

why get better, it is fine as it is.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #126 - Posted 2009-04-17 10:59:41 »

That's kinda what I'm beginning to think.

Possibly need a new forum, projavagamedev or something.

Cas Smiley

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #127 - Posted 2009-04-17 11:04:00 »

That's kinda what I'm beginning to think.

Possibly need a new forum, projavagamedev or something.

Cas Smiley

that wont solve "the problem".
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #128 - Posted 2009-04-17 11:05:16 »

That's just it though... maybe there is no problem really. Just a bunch of old hands needing something more.

Cas Smiley

Offline Json

Junior Duke

Exp: 7 years

« Reply #129 - Posted 2009-04-17 11:09:11 »

I pretty much like it the way it is, however I'd like to see some bigger projects take shape, involving more developers rather than these smaller 1 developer games that we are seeing now, don't get me wrong, a lot of them are really cool. I think that with a reasonably sized team we could see some really fancy games.

Then again there is always the lack of artists I guess.

// Json
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #130 - Posted 2009-04-17 11:40:09 »

Yup - plenty of developers here, just no artists, and no money.

Cas Smiley

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #131 - Posted 2009-04-17 11:58:55 »

I pretty much like it the way it is, however I'd like to see some bigger projects take shape, involving more developers rather than these smaller 1 developer games that we are seeing now, don't get me wrong, a lot of them are really cool. I think that with a reasonably sized team we could see some really fancy games.

Then again there is always the lack of artists I guess.

// Json

that is waht the community prject sectino is for.

if you read any of those threads, they all end the same FAILURE.

EDIT: just so you know VE is a group project.
Offline Json

Junior Duke

Exp: 7 years

« Reply #132 - Posted 2009-04-17 12:52:43 »

Yeah I've looked at all of that but its the whole "too many chefs" problem I think.

// Json
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #133 - Posted 2009-04-17 13:33:55 »

well this isnt an artist forum, it would be nice if we had a bunch of happy artists but....
Offline SunshineKiller

Junior Duke

« Reply #134 - Posted 2009-04-17 17:49:15 »

Yeah I've looked at all of that but its the whole "too many chefs" problem I think.

// Json

yes and i think thats why the idea for the community game that started in jan, and turned out to be 3 different games, got killed. To many people wanted to many different things. Would've been cool to focus on one idea, and go with it.

Im a artist Cheesy sort of, i wish i was better at pixels...I use to do 3D.

<b>Check out my Development Blog:</b> <a href="http://www.scottscreations.com">Scotts Creations</a> | <b>Games in Development: </b> <a href="http://mechwarfare.scottscreations.com">Mech Warfare</a> | Mech Warfare: Facebook Edition | Game Master
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #135 - Posted 2009-04-17 18:13:20 »

I don't think the community needs to be changed either, Cas, nor do I think you should go.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #136 - Posted 2009-04-17 18:19:39 »

Well, I'm not going to Smiley I wish I had a bit more time to help though.

Cas Smiley

Offline Gudradain
« Reply #137 - Posted 2009-04-17 20:23:44 »

Group project are definitively the futur (but not the failed one). From what I experiment so far, making a complete game is just too much for a single developper. It's true that we lack the artist to be able to make complete game but there is still one area where we can make a lot of progress. Which is :

Working in group and managing a project, even if it's just the usual techie demo we are used to.
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

Medals: 32

« Reply #138 - Posted 2009-04-19 04:03:03 »

I think a group project would be nice, but I think using the community based approach from before will always spell disaster.  I figure it'd be better if someone who has a concept (even very generic/basic) that wants to try it should step up to be the organizer.  Then they'd contact promising/interested community members in private and design the game.

I guess my point is that forums are good for help and feedback, but it's not the right medium for organization: that needs to be more personal.

Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Projects: 1

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #139 - Posted 2009-04-19 20:06:09 »

Hey guys I'm gonna put my 2 cents in.
I started VE as a learning project, I got some interests from different people on different forums. So I went and looked for a pixel artist at:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=11
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php
I got interest there, because I told people they can take the look of the game any way they want, all I cared about was the game play.

Then later on we were in need of other stuff so we acquired more people... the point is if the game is interesting its not that hard to find free artists that are interested or anyone else for that matter. As long as you give them a few degrees of freedom to add what they'd like to see.

So as far as community projects, the number one thing you need is dedication. If there is not one person driving the game, then progress stagnates and interest drops. Many times production from my team members drops if I have not put out any updates on VE, so they start to forget about the game. But as soon as I show what I have been doing everyone gets inspired and production increases tremendously.

So community projects should go in the route of a public idea/goal, one person starts it, gets the base code done. Then anyone interested in helping code it or anything else would be acquired afterward. The entire time progress has to be obvious for the other members or else people lose interest quickly, that's why its better to have at least one super dedicated person to consistently create content and keep the project alive.

We recently acquired another free graphics artist (pro works in the industry)... but that's another story.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
Android: Pac-Ball
Web Applet: Virus Effect
Old Games
Offline Ru5tyNZ

Senior Newbie

« Reply #140 - Posted 2009-04-19 22:03:40 »

So I went and looked for a pixel artist

That's a good idea. There are plenty of talented programmers lurking round the forums; Having some easily accessible artists that we could coo into creating quality content would be fantastic. Shame there isn't much(if any) money in Java Gaming but I doubt you here because of that(call it love).

It is unfortunate that nothing seems to ever comes from the community projects but (like said above) we seem to be suffering form "to many chiefs not enough Indians" syndrome. It's apparently very difficult for us to conform to a single vision of how a game should be. We need of some cohesion and structure (without taking away what has made this forum so successful) so hopefully Java Gaming's goals can be realized.

In saying all that, we seem to failing at more fundamental things but hopefully this thread has raised some awareness in what to do/not do.

It's great to see so much constructive input in this thread.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #141 - Posted 2009-04-19 22:53:16 »

Im sure if some people got something going. Then take corvinex's advice, and got o a pixel artist forum. Then cas would be happy :/.
Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #142 - Posted 2009-04-23 03:04:52 »

Pffft. It's easy to fix this place up real quick.

Start a mandate that EVERY single post must contain java code.

oh yeah, i almost forgot...

package bz;

import bz.map.*;
import bz.object.Creature;

public interface ZealWorld {
  public Map getMap();
  public boolean join(Creature newPlayer, ZealWorldChangeListener l);
  public void leave(int cid);
  public boolean moveUp(int cid);
  public boolean moveDown(int cid);
  public boolean moveLeft(int cid);
  public boolean moveRight(int cid);
}

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #143 - Posted 2009-04-23 06:08:32 »

if (swampChicken.hasSillyPost())
{
     demonpants.laughOutLoud();
}

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #144 - Posted 2009-04-23 06:40:39 »

if(newRule)
{
dumbCrap++;
}
Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #145 - Posted 2009-04-23 09:48:51 »

if (swampChicken.hasSillyPost())
{
     demonpants.laughOutLoud();
}

Sorry Demonpants, but I see myself as more of a singleton.

SlobberGoat.getInstance().beatChestAndSay("There can be only one!");
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #146 - Posted 2009-04-23 14:43:26 »

All,

I have just approached two members of the community that have reached out and offered their assistance with JGO.  I won't say who, just yet, as I want to wait until they have confirmed their participation and we have had a chance to talk.

-Chris

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #147 - Posted 2009-04-23 19:49:02 »

so they might be the new "runner of jgo"?
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #148 - Posted 2009-04-23 22:08:09 »

so they might be the new "runner of jgo"?
That sounds like some sort of cooking ingredient or kitchen implement.

"Hey honey, can you pass me the runner of jgo? I need to get this jelly mixed with this gooey orange."

But anyway I don't think it would be a new person running JGO, just Chris wants to distribute his responsibilities amongst 3 people instead of just him, mainly so that JGO can become more of a quality community... at least that's how I understand it from his previous posts in this topic.

See my work:
OTC Software
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (50 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (39 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (31 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (36 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (65 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (56 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (72 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (44 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org