Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #120 - Posted 2009-07-14 05:33:42 »

Other things that suck about windows.  No symlinks.  No hardlinks (well NTFS has them, but there is no way to create or use them).  Oh, and COM.

Vista has this, for what it's worth.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Cero
« Reply #121 - Posted 2009-07-14 09:00:33 »

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Mythbuster_Jamie_recommends_Ubuntu_over_Vista_s_bloat

You don't argue with Jamie Hyneman.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 404
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #122 - Posted 2009-07-14 11:01:44 »

Hahaa Smiley

So when is another OS going to appear that's, you know, actually good? I think the last one that genuinely fit the bill was BeOS.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #123 - Posted 2009-07-14 12:29:32 »

Grub isn't cleaned up for me, and I don't know the magic to get it to happen.  I can manually edit the grub menu file, but it is silly that I have to.  Only my first monitor is used and there seems to be no option anywhere in the UI to enable the second... even on Windows it was a royal pain to get the two monitors working properly, so I have no doubt that if you ever do get it to work on Ubuntu it has a good chance of working better than Windows.. of course on my old Mac powerbook from 2003 I just plug in the second monitor and it goes.  The dual monitor config on a Mac is effortless.

Do you update version to version to version or have you made a clean install lately? - one thing I must admit is that updating is kinda flakey or should I just say messed up. (complete ubuntu versions at that, normal and kernel updates seem to be ok.) This shouldn't matter but do you use ati or nvidia?

Hahaa Smiley

So when is another OS going to appear that's, you know, actually good? I think the last one that genuinely fit the bill was BeOS.

Cas Smiley
. Wink

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #124 - Posted 2009-07-15 00:06:45 »

Do you update version to version to version or have you made a clean install lately? - one thing I must admit is that updating is kinda flakey or should I just say messed up. (complete ubuntu versions at that, normal and kernel updates seem to be ok.) This shouldn't matter but do you use ati or nvidia?
. Wink

Clean install?  Are you kidding? Did you take that page out of the Windows handbook? ;-)  I don't have the time to re-install the OS just to tweak the boot menu!
I haven't used Ubuntu lately... I only have Windows 7 and OpenSolaris 2009.06 on this PC.  I have an Ubuntu partition on my work PC, but it only gets used rarely for some cross-platform testing.  But I installed the Ubuntu 8.x LTS release and have only done "normal" updates on it.  I have never seen Ubuntu clean up the Grub boot menu ever.  Mind you I always have it dual booting.. maybe without Windows in the menu it will do it?  If so then it still doesn't matter, because I will still occasionally *need* Windows (alas not everything is written in Java - yet ;-)).
I use nVidia graphics cards.

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Duke

shiny.

« Reply #125 - Posted 2009-07-15 01:42:08 »

Clean install?  Are you kidding? Did you take that page out of the Windows handbook? ;-) 
Heh, well yes. I had issues with stuff that was suppose to work but didn't(like you I gues). clean installs (well keeping ~home offcourse) made them magically go away. Now indeed everyone and bob's uncle said it shouldn't make a difference, but it does and I got tired arguing.

(keeping home is something that's actually baked into the installer these days or atleast thats what I've been told.).

I only have Windows 7 and OpenSolaris 2009.06 on this PC.
hows opensolaris working for you?

I have an Ubuntu partition on my work PC, but it only gets used rarely for some cross-platform testing.  But I installed the Ubuntu 8.x LTS release and have only done "normal" updates on it.  I have never seen Ubuntu clean up the Grub boot menu ever.  Mind you I always have it dual booting.. maybe without Windows in the menu it will do it?  If so then it still doesn't matter, because I will still occasionally *need* Windows (alas not everything is written in Java - yet ;-)).
I use nVidia graphics cards.
I use 9.04 and I have run some prereleases around 8.4 or w/e version it was so perhaps that's it. I also dual boot, although very rarely(to windows), so that's not it.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #126 - Posted 2009-07-15 23:34:32 »

hows opensolaris working for you?

It suffers from many of the same problems as Linux in that if you can't get software from the official update center then you might as well give up... I figure it's just a typical unix problem stemming from the mindset that you should know the kernel source code like the back of your hand and if you don't compile everything from scratch you're a wuss that has no business running unix...

But in general it is stable and has some nice features like ZFS, network virtualization, etc.  Of course it runs Java and JavaFX, even VirtualBox for the occasional windows program.  The package manager is slow.  But it's running Gnome with all the usual bits so if you can handle Ubuntu then Solaris isn't that big of a change.  I had to go back to older audio drivers to avoid a noise problem with my HD audio chipset, but Flash works in Firefox with sound :-), nVidia makes drivers for it, etc.

I was thinking that I would try to run it as my primary OS... but I sort of miss the games on Windows and Windows 7 is a bit nicer than Vista and has some improvements over XP (and some really dumb stuff too - like the stuff you see in the latest IE or Office - hiding menus, etc.).

A lot of the "free" software is kind of crappy - like the MP3 player (Rhythmbox Music Player) - it locks up all the time.  Sun is re-doing a lot of the audio stuff in OpenbSolaris though... so I'm going to give it at least until the next update.  I just wish I could access ZFS from Windows and Ubuntu (technically I can, but I hear it isn't that great).

If I could at least share all of my data between the various OS's it would be great... I used to use Ext2 for Windows to read my Ext3 Ubuntu partition.  But this machine is supposed to be my media server as well, so I can't have it booted into Windows 7 and OpenSolaris, to get at the ZFS filesystem, at the same time.  Hmm.. maybe with Virtualbox running OpenSolaris in Windows 7 I can access my ZFS drives?  Sounds like a potential blackhole of time though :-)

And then there's always Haiku...

Offline Swattkidd7

Junior Duke

« Reply #127 - Posted 2009-07-16 02:57:16 »

Vista makes me want a mac so bad! But to be fair, it is not THAT bad just slightly annoying...I guess iphone dev plays a role in me wanting a mac Cheesy
Offline Mr_Light

Senior Duke

shiny.

« Reply #128 - Posted 2009-07-16 04:19:20 »

It suffers from many of the same problems as Linux in that if you can't get software from the official update center then you might as well give up... I figure it's just a typical unix problem stemming from the mindset that you should know the kernel source code like the back of your hand and if you don't compile everything from scratch you're a wuss that has no business running unix...

...The package manager is slow...
Aye though there's a lot of interesting stuff around it it's been a while since I read the blogpost where they outlined plans but it was looking good

A lot of the "free" software is kind of crappy - like the MP3 player (Rhythmbox Music Player) - it locks up all the time.  Sun is re-doing a lot of the audio stuff in OpenbSolaris though... so I'm going to give it at least until the next update.
Rhythmbox doesn't seem to like me neither, though I thought opensolaris embraced Songbird? Anyways for simple playback there is javatunes, beeing java it just runs about everywhere and minimise function is nice. http://www.stigc.dk/projects/JavaTunes/

I just wish I could access ZFS from Windows and Ubuntu (technically I can, but I hear it isn't that great).

If I could at least share all of my data between the various OS's it would be great... I used to use Ext2 for Windows to read my Ext3 Ubuntu partition.  But this machine is supposed to be my media server as well, so I can't have it booted into Windows 7 and OpenSolaris, to get at the ZFS filesystem, at the same time.  Hmm.. maybe with Virtualbox running OpenSolaris in Windows 7 I can access my ZFS drives?  Sounds like a potential blackhole of time though :-)
The restrictiveness of the GPL license is getting to them which is why the driver needs to be done in userspace. (or compiled into the kernel by the user or something, It can't be distributed together). Through virtual box it should work.

And then there's always Haiku...
I'll have a look at it.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #129 - Posted 2009-07-20 15:10:24 »

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #130 - Posted 2009-07-21 17:29:14 »

Good catch. It reminds me what happens sometimes under Vista when I want to copy a big file. I was right, Vista is a crappy OS.

Offline fguy

Senior Newbie

« Reply #131 - Posted 2009-09-17 23:24:09 »

I read a  couple pages of this thread. Lot of people say Vista is crap, some defend it with some good arguments. I'm not too impressed with Vista. Personally I don't think I will bother with it or 7. I can't justify doubling or tripling my hardware power just to run the next operating system. XP suits me fine. Am thinking of switching to Linux.

Anyways, sticking with the Microsoft line...

The worst has to be Millenium Edition. I had a copy, it went straight to the slag heap.

The best? Hard to say. I saw some posts slagging the win9x line, but I say Windows 98 Second Edition, for it's time, was a damn good system for the home user.

fchess2 - the rewrite: http://fchess2.blogspot.com/
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #132 - Posted 2009-09-18 00:43:16 »

I effectively hate all Linux distros, they are my worst OS, but this is purely as a desktop OS. I used to run Ubuntu on my main PC for about a year at University. I don't understand how people can complain about the bugs in Vista when there are so many in pretty much all the free software on Linux. I bought a second monitor and plugged it, when Ubuntu booted Gnome, Compiz and my graphics drivers all crashed together and erased many of my user settings. Like all the control panels in KDE and Gnome, the dialog for setting up monitors in Ubuntu is terrible. This was compounded because I was finding I had to logout/login every time I changed a setting (I think XOrg had to restart or something like that). Separately if I opened FireFox, put it into full screen mode and then switched tabs too many times XOrg would crash and log me out; losing all my work. The drivers for my wireless card didn't work, but what was most annoying was that it was saying they were working perfectly.

I also ran Xandros on my eee after buying the Linux version. After a few weeks it locked my keyboard into a setup for a different keyboard, with all the keys in the wrong places, and refused to switch out of it. I also installed some music libraries that Wine needed, but when I later removed them it took all sound support in the OS away with it! I had no idea how to get it back. When I tried installing Opera the package manager said it needed to uninstall literally about half of the files it had installed due to a library conflict. It also started refusing to boot after I changed the file permissions on one of the files in my home directory. Those were the major issues, there were hundreds of smaller ones. I later installed a free copy of Windows Server 2003 and whilst it seems a lot slower, I never get any bugs or major issues.

Finally why do distros keep pushing GIJ? When will they learn it doesn't work! Why don't distros push and install NVidia drivers by default? They do work! I always find when I install Linux I end up bookmarking loads of Linux forums for tech help. Needing to visit them in order to fix the latest bug every few days.

Windows Vista FTW!

Offline fguy

Senior Newbie

« Reply #133 - Posted 2009-09-18 00:59:43 »

I effectively hate all Linux distros, they are my worst OS, but this is purely as a desktop OS. ...<rant snipped>

Windows Vista FTW!

That's brutal. It happens that way sometimes, can't say I blame you. I have a linux desktop PC and an XP laptop. Mostly I use the Linux to learn about Webservers and stuff, but I do use it as desktop sometimes. It's been pretty smooth, had to mess around a bit to get printing working, play with the wireless a bit, but I don't mind. So far it's been rock solid for what I use it for.

fchess2 - the rewrite: http://fchess2.blogspot.com/
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #134 - Posted 2009-09-18 01:12:23 »

Winblows sucks!

I've been using Linux for a month so far, and it's working great. Xubuntu FTW!
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #135 - Posted 2009-09-18 09:01:55 »

Winblows sucks!

I've been using Linux for a month so far, and it's working great. Xubuntu FTW!

I have to admit, I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now after having worked almost exclusively with Windows since Windows 95, and I am very happy with it too. Prettier than windows, more stable than windows, faster than windows, more user friendly than windows, just better than windows.
Recently I sometimes have to boot into Vista again for some BlackBerry development, and now it seems even more obvious than ever how utterly annoying and ugly Vista is after having spent so much time working with Ubuntu. Whatever MS were smoking when they developed Vista, just say no.

Offline Cero
« Reply #136 - Posted 2009-09-23 12:30:54 »

I would have to change my Vote
my Vote was OS/2 and will now be Vista

Why ?
OS/2 is obviously far worse than Vista, however, in university and in my job (IT), I have to deal literally every day with problems caused by Vista.
It is most annoying piece of software I have ever experienced.
The problem is that although it is bad beyond believe, many many people use it because the dont know jack about IT, because its still preinstalled on many machines, because they still trust windows / MS.

Microsoft in general shall die.

Imagine a world in which MS dies, and it will give windows to apple and the xbox to SEGA.
Thats what I dream of every night...

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #137 - Posted 2009-09-23 12:46:25 »

Imagine a world in which MS dies, and it will give windows to apple and the xbox to SEGA.
So you dream of a world where the price of all PCs has doubled and that one of the world's most popular consoles is now run by a failed software/hardware company? You might want to seek professional help to stop you keep having that nightmare.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #138 - Posted 2009-09-23 13:14:06 »

Yikes, can't that crap just die with MS?  Grin

Offline Cero
« Reply #139 - Posted 2009-09-23 14:04:16 »

So you dream of a world where the price of all PCs has doubled and that one of the world's most popular consoles is now run by a failed software/hardware company? You might want to seek professional help to stop you keep having that nightmare.

Everyone loved SEGA consoles, and SEGA software still rocks. They need a second chance.
But ATARI could also take it for all I care, but I like to see only japanese consoles, like before Xbox.

Atleast apple products are good...
And Im sure apple could find a good solution.

Yikes, can't that crap just die with MS?  Grin

Well you still NEED today Windows, I do, obviously for all the software that was only released on windows.
If you could like "PERFECT" wine or somethin and everyone could use linux and mac that would be awesome of course.

as for the xbox, well, obviously the market cant survive on ps3 and wii alone (well the japanese market can) but yea overall you dont need it...

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #140 - Posted 2009-09-23 14:27:12 »

Everyone loved SEGA consoles, and SEGA software still rocks. They need a second chance.
As much as I like SEGA's consoles (the DC is one of my favourites), they pretty much messed up every attempt after the Genesis/Mega Drive. Commercially anyway.

Well you still NEED today Windows, I do, obviously for all the software that was only released on windows.

Of couse. I still use Windows regularly for that reason alone.
But current Windows-only software is not designed for future windows versions anyway, so why keep Windows alive for current Windows-only software?
If windows dies, the software should die with it and move on to the next platform of choice.
The same happened for example with music software for the Atari ST, like Cubase. As the platform died, the software just moved to another platform.

Ah well, we can all dream  Smiley

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #141 - Posted 2009-09-23 17:30:10 »

It'll take a long time for Windows to die, but if it continues on its current path, it certainly will.

What I think is likely is that Windows will fall by the wayside not because people will start installing Linux and buying Macs, but because technology will move in a different direction that Windows will not be able to keep up with. Look at how successful the iPhone is. A device that you can do everything on and is (more or less) constantly connected to the web. No wires, no worrying about different wireless WEP keys and all that. Now Apple is coming out with tablet computers soon, which I guarantee will be more or less large fast iPhones. Imagine they're fast enough to do everything that you want, and can also easily go with you anywhere. Bam, desktop computers become obsolete except for niche markets like servers.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #142 - Posted 2009-09-23 18:31:29 »

I disagree. It will be the classic laptop vs. computer's argument. COST! those tablets(knowing apple) will cost like 3k$ that is more money than most ppl can just fork over Tongue.

Also, If windows died. I would probably never touch a computer again.... I might use linux. But I would NEVER EVER use a mac. They are terrible. Tehy try to control every little thing that you do. They are completely seperate from every other operating system.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #143 - Posted 2009-09-23 20:26:21 »

I disagree. It will be the classic laptop vs. computer's argument. COST! those tablets(knowing apple) will cost like 3k$ that is more money than most ppl can just fork over Tongue.

Also, If windows died. I would probably never touch a computer again.... I might use linux. But I would NEVER EVER use a mac. They are terrible. Tehy try to control every little thing that you do. They are completely seperate from every other operating system.
I think you're missing my point. I definitely meant long time (I italicized it, see? Tongue) when I said it. The costs of tablets will have to go down and the technology has to continue to evolve, but if there's anything that Microsoft is not at all good at it's evolving. Apple has shown to be brilliant at it, which is why my guess is that Windows will stopped being used just because it will become obsolete for current systems. If you're still thinking about desktops or laptops, then you're not thinking in the same place I'm thinking. Imagine Minority Report type stuff. I don't think Microsoft is at the helm of what's becoming that (gesture recognition) nor do I think they will be.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #144 - Posted 2009-09-24 01:05:37 »

Seems to be a lot of windows hate here.
Personally I don't like using Macs, I hate using Linux and will keep on using Windows. Windows 7 is a dream for me.

There's also AmigaOS, but I don't know anyone using the latest version. Anyone here tried it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS_4

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #145 - Posted 2009-09-24 06:54:20 »

Seems to be a lot of hate here.
Personally I don't like Mac, I hate using Linux and will keep on using Windows. Windows 7 is a dream for me.
+1
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #146 - Posted 2009-09-24 09:51:18 »

Seems to be a lot of windows hate here.
Personally I don't like using Macs, I hate using Linux and will keep on using Windows. Windows 7 is a dream for me.

I'm not a Windows hater (used it for years), but I am a Vista hater. Really, I gave it fair a chance (remembering how people traditionally always hate the latest windows versions), but I can't really understand how people can defend something like that.
I hear Windows 7 is better (I haven't tried it yet) but really, after vista the only way is up.

Offline Cero
« Reply #147 - Posted 2009-09-24 11:34:11 »

oh I AM a Microsoft hater

because fact is, the only reason they are still in business in every sections they are present is because of success they had back then, with windows 95 times.

and because they are so big, have so much money, and many are dependent on them.

they are not in business because they are doing a good job NOW but only because they used to.

its like a genius who invented something and got rich, but now is drunk every day and pisses everyone off but you still cant get rid of him

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #148 - Posted 2009-09-24 13:01:44 »

oh I AM a Microsoft hater

because fact is, the only reason they are still in business in every sections they are present is because of success they had back then, with windows 95 times.

and because they are so big, have so much money, and many are dependent on them.

they are not in business because they are doing a good job NOW but only because they used to.

its like a genius who invented something and got rich, but now is drunk every day and pisses everyone off but you still cant get rid of him
I couldn't disagree more. The majority of people at home and in businesses don't care about this debate of 'best OS' or 'are Microsoft good or bad'. They use MS software because it gets the job done, and gets it done (at least for them) to a high standard. Locking users into software only goes so far, it's not enough to stop people switching to alternate software over time if they truly want to switch.

A good example is the popularity of FireFox in recent years. For many people it's superior to Internet Explorer so people are switching.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #149 - Posted 2009-09-24 14:38:49 »

I couldn't disagree more. The majority of people at home and in businesses don't care about this debate of 'best OS' or 'are Microsoft good or bad'. They use MS software because it gets the job done, and gets it done (at least for them) to a high standard. Locking users into software only goes so far, it's not enough to stop people switching to alternate software over time if they truly want to switch.

A good example is the popularity of FireFox in recent years. For many people it's superior to Internet Explorer so people are switching.
Well I think you're both right (JL and Cero). With something like a browser it's very easy to make a switch, because all you're doing is going on the internet. That's largely a personal enterprise, so you don't need to give a damn about what's used in the majority. Whereas with something like Microsft Office or Microsoft Exchange, you're basically screwed if you switch to other software, because although most alternatives can import and export in the same formats, you'll always have little artifacts or problems in doing so. As a result, you're stuck with the same stuff.

I mean, really. Who can say that Microsoft Office is better than iWork, at least at this point? It has more to do with the fact that iWork is newer and so not quite as shackled than anything else - but like I said I don't think Microsoft is good at adapting.

See my work:
OTC Software
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (37 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (59 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (85 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org