Worst OS ever?  (Read 25710 times)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #30 - Posted 2009-03-10 19:01:48 »

I used to have XP running for weeks on end without a glitch. And Win2k for months - Puppygames was originally hosted on Win2k.

Cas Smiley

Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 11

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #31 - Posted 2009-03-10 19:34:07 »

What is this fascination with up-time?
XP & Vista are both (predominantely) desktop OS's,
who leaves their desktop pc on 24/7/30/365?!? (and if you do, who pays your electricity bill! persecutioncomplex)

What makes Vista an abomination for me is the god awful shell ui. (pretty much the same reason I hate symbian)

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #32 - Posted 2009-03-10 19:45:26 »

I never turn my computer off except to install updates or start it up in PeeCee mode. Otherwise I put it to sleep when I'm not using it.

So anyway it's typically up for a month or so before I restart it purposefully. I've had Mac OS X since its inception about 7 years ago, and I've probably been forced to restart only around 20 times in all those years, most of those in the early versions of the OS. Now I can't remember the last time I needed to.

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jezek2
« Reply #33 - Posted 2009-03-10 19:50:49 »

Hmm, I had once uptime of about 610 days on my workstation (using Linux) without any UPS and doing crazy stuff on it (like working with 3D, wine emulation, etc.), seems we have very very solid electricity provider here Smiley

But after realizing this uptime I'm not obsessed with uptime anymore Smiley The truth is that the longer it runs the bigger uncertainty that the computer will ever boot again... Wink
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #34 - Posted 2009-03-10 20:04:04 »

Vista once crashed for me after 20 hours.

my vote is Vista.

I had to fix the same problem 5 times  Shocked for BF2142!!!!!!!

XP is compatibal to do anything.

I have a linux, it is kinda hard ot use. I have to spend half an hour to figure out how ot do something

Iw ill give linux funnest OS ever though (can do anything oyu want).
Offline Ranger
« Reply #35 - Posted 2009-03-10 21:47:21 »

I tried Ubuntu the other day.  It told me I had to accept a license for my graphics card drivers, but wouldn't let me say ok to the license, so I wasn't allowed any of the fancy video stuff.  It then d/led Java but refused to run the install (said it didn't understand the file type it just d/led).  But my vote still goes to Windows 3.0 because IBMs OS2 was so much better.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #36 - Posted 2009-03-10 23:20:49 »

What is this fascination with up-time?
XP & Vista are both (predominantely) desktop OS's,
who leaves their desktop pc on 24/7/30/365?!? (and if you do, who pays your electricity bill! persecutioncomplex)

What makes Vista an abomination for me is the god awful shell ui. (pretty much the same reason I hate symbian)

In the past I was never shutting down my computer and was intensivly programming ont it, so my XP have certainly reach an uptime of some month. but,I have finally understood that was a real bad idea to not shutdown a personal computer when it had an electric problem and that it began to burn in the middle of the night (fortunatly it stop burning itself and I see that the morning), since that I always shutdown my computer Smiley (this also happen to a knowledge of me) so whatever is the OS you use, never forget to shut down your computer when you go sleeping !

XP SP3 the best OS ever, the worst ? dont really know

Offline Ranger
« Reply #37 - Posted 2009-03-10 23:31:37 »

never forget to shut down your computer when you go sleeping !

I leave my webserver on 24/7.  Runs WinXP.  A year ago I went away for 6 months.  It kept going the whole time no problems (actually I think the power went out once, but when it came back on, it just started up again).  Brilliant OS!  Kudos to Tomcat and Canons software too for also being stable as a rock.  Smiley
Offline JoglHurt

Senior Newbie

« Reply #38 - Posted 2009-03-11 23:17:14 »

In the past I was never shutting down my computer and was intensivly programming ont it, so my XP have certainly reach an uptime of some month. but,I have finally understood that was a real bad idea to not shutdown a personal computer when it had an electric problem and that it began to burn in the middle of the night (fortunatly it stop burning itself and I see that the morning), since that I always shutdown my computer Smiley (this also happen to a knowledge of me) so whatever is the OS you use, never forget to shut down your computer when you go sleeping !

I have left my computer to do some things over the night few times and I have been thinking that could it burn. After reading this I won't leave it on anymore.  Undecided

Speak to me like you would speak to a vegetable and I may understand what you say.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #39 - Posted 2009-03-12 20:50:08 »

Same here, up time is not important for me because I'm never leaving my PC turned on again!

My PC started burning once while I was working on it, and it was quite a fierce little fire too! Who knows what would've happened if I wasn't there...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #40 - Posted 2009-03-13 01:09:38 »

Well unless your heavy overclocking/modified your computer, a computer shouldn't really burn, otherwise they would never be used as servers. At every school/uni I been too they have left there computers always on.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline DzzD
« Reply #41 - Posted 2009-03-13 01:37:06 »

Well unless your heavy overclocking/modified your computer, a computer shouldn't really burn, otherwise they would never be used as servers. At every school/uni I been too they have left there computers always on.

nop your a little wrong for two reason : home computer get a lot more dust then in a cooled and clean server room, also server are made with higher quality material (better fan system etc...)

EDIT: and last, real server room have advanced anti-fire system wich can even be quite dangerous when you are inside (pumping oxygen)

Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #42 - Posted 2009-03-13 04:12:37 »

Yes I was ignoring dust/dirt/water/etc. But that's the same with most other appliances.
I seen many places that use normal conditions for there servers.
If you clean your computer from dust build up, then the risk is very small.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline Ranger
« Reply #43 - Posted 2009-03-13 04:14:57 »

My PC started burning once while I was working on it, and it was quite a fierce little fire too! Who knows what would've happened if I wasn't there...

Most modern computers *should* automatically switch themselves off if they get too hot.  My laptop did when I didn't realise it failed to shut-down and I put it in my backpack, then wondered why my back was getting so hot   Grin  ...by the time I pulled it out, it had already switched itself off.
Offline SunshineKiller

« Reply #44 - Posted 2009-03-13 15:37:39 »

the worst os is the mac os x, at least the old ones, i cant stand the bubbliness of it. I use a mac at work and it drives me insane, thank goodness for the terminal/ console it provides. Smiley

<b>Check out my Development Blog:</b> <a href="http://www.scottscreations.com">Scotts Creations</a> | <b>Games in Development: </b> <a href="http://mechwarfare.scottscreations.com">Mech Warfare</a> | Mech Warfare: Facebook Edition | Game Master
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #45 - Posted 2009-03-13 17:45:03 »

the worst os is the mac os x, at least the old ones, i cant stand the bubbliness of it. I use a mac at work and it drives me insane, thank goodness for the terminal/ console it provides. Smiley

Interesting gripe. At least it works though, no?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline SunshineKiller

« Reply #46 - Posted 2009-03-13 18:09:14 »

Interesting gripe. At least it works though, no?

true, its not a G4 mac so i cant say much, im sure the new intel ones are slick. I know weird gripe eh? im usually sshing into servers at work so the terminal does its job well.

<b>Check out my Development Blog:</b> <a href="http://www.scottscreations.com">Scotts Creations</a> | <b>Games in Development: </b> <a href="http://mechwarfare.scottscreations.com">Mech Warfare</a> | Mech Warfare: Facebook Edition | Game Master
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #47 - Posted 2009-03-14 13:37:36 »

That's not necessarily true. My PC wasn't overclocked, it didn't have dust build-up, and it didn't get too hot. Well, not before it started burning  Grin
What I think what happened is that a capacitor in the power supply blew and cought fire. Probably just a faulty part or something. Shit happens!

Offline Cakey

« Reply #48 - Posted 2009-03-16 22:18:26 »

I'm gonna have to agree with Dzzd. I remember trying to use DOS, and it sucked. That's all I can contribute really aside from,
Vista isn't bad(IMHO Vista > XP). Windows ME wasn't thaaaat bad.

Offline JoglHurt

Senior Newbie

« Reply #49 - Posted 2009-03-17 18:58:57 »

I never understood why EVERYONE said that Windows ME sucked. I rarely had any issues with it. I guess that many had somekind of problems with it cause it seems to be the most infamous Windows ever.

Speak to me like you would speak to a vegetable and I may understand what you say.
Offline stef569

« Reply #50 - Posted 2009-03-17 19:14:39 »

I used win ME for a good amount of time, and most of the time i was searching for tools to make it run faster, Installing freeware etc. I don't think ME ran faster after I installed my 'freeware tools'. Maybe if I didn't install anything it would run at the same speed == not using your pc. I think I formatted about every 6 months because it was going unbearable slow.
Offline macphearsome

Junior Newbie

« Reply #51 - Posted 2009-06-18 03:36:47 »

In my limited experience, Windows Millennium was definitely the worst operating system.  The saying at my tech-support job was "Windows Millennium works great until you install your first program"

Vista hasn't been a wholly awful experience for me - my parents have a Vista machine and it sucks, but I think they just got a lemon.
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #52 - Posted 2009-06-18 04:24:03 »

OSX it never does what I want it to. Windows(from 3.1 and up) Dos Linux(slackware fedora ubuntu red hat) Solaris Opensolaris all just do what I want them to do, but OSX fights me all the way. But that's just the desktop environment, not sure if thats reason enough to call it bad or anything, also it seems to work for other ppl so calling it the worst OS ever would be weird.

OK, I never really had an enjoyable experience fedora. and yeah windows ME was pretty bad too, it felt like it was designed to be held together by using ducktape - but in the manufacturing plant they decided to use scotsstape cause it was cheaper or something

I like ubuntu and opensolaris.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #53 - Posted 2009-06-18 06:09:55 »

Most people who say so have actually never tried to use it...

I use it at work and my home machine is Vista, and *I* say that Vista sucks.
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #54 - Posted 2009-06-18 06:11:19 »

You can easily disable that, if you don't want it.

Yes, and then it continually bugs you about having disabled UAC - and you can't disable *that*
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Medals: 71
Projects: 1
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #55 - Posted 2009-06-18 08:52:32 »

I SO agree with Symbian. I've done development against it in both C++, python and j2me and it's a mess. They don't bug test anything and it's horribly slow. Do you know why you can't send sms with j2me without getting a security popup (before the N96)? Because they forgot to add a checkmark on a spreadsheet so the developers implemented it wrongly...

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Cero
« Reply #56 - Posted 2009-06-18 09:53:49 »

The worst is easily OS/2

But since its still a topic, I hate Vista much (pretty much every MS product besides WinXP and Win2k)
I work as an IT guy, and like every week, someone comes to me, saying "I just bought this Laptop/Notebook, and its f**king slow, why?"
I look at it, hardware is like 3 times better than mine, although it runs 10 times slower. OS: Vista

It justs something I have to say every week: No human should use Vista or Internet Explorer.

Offline aazimon
« Reply #57 - Posted 2009-06-18 22:04:26 »

I've lost a ton of productive time due to vista, it just randomly goes crazy on the disk activity and brings the whole OS to a halt preventing me from using it for a few minutes.

I had that ramdom drive usage. I did a google search for tweaks to Vista. After going through the document, things started to run better. It has a lot of features I didn't need.
Offline JavaMan2

Senior Newbie

« Reply #58 - Posted 2009-06-19 00:11:55 »

I've lost a ton of productive time due to vista

Same here. I haven't developed a lot on my Vista pc, but whenever I do I go screaming back to my XP laptop.

Or have you ever booted it up from sitting shut-down all night, and it just hangs? Grrrr.

Oh, and that hanging issue is on a pc with Quad Cores, and 4GB of RAM.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"~Albert Einstein
Offline gouessej
« Reply #59 - Posted 2009-06-19 15:24:56 »

I use it at work and my home machine is Vista, and *I* say that Vista sucks.
I used Vista about 3 times in my life and I say that Vista sucks too  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (17 views)
2014-08-01 22:53:16

CogWheelz (15 views)
2014-08-01 22:51:43

CopyableCougar4 (18 views)
2014-08-01 19:37:19

CogWheelz (19 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (14 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (42 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (13 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36
Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:19:50

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org