News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  mmorpg engine  (Read 6583 times)
Offline hell32.dll

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2009-02-23 11:19:46 »

did anyone knows any java mmorpg game engine (it may be free Roll Eyes) for develop own mmorpg?
with good client/server system and other futures? persecutioncomplex

Sorry i'm bad speak English =)
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-02-23 13:37:54 »

did anyone knows any java mmorpg game engine (it may be free Roll Eyes) for develop own mmorpg?
with good client/server system and other futures? persecutioncomplex

JCRPG?

Offline adon_y_coya

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-02-23 14:02:39 »

I've been working with Project DarkStar for almost 6 months now - and have only good things to say about it.
www.projectdarkstar.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline hell32.dll

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-02-23 15:01:08 »

hmm project darkstar looks nice =)
but what futures he has?
how i understand this projectdarkstar for the online games, have good Object Oriented system, clien/server , and what he can do anything else, adon_y_coya?

tnx

Offline SunshineKiller

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-02-23 16:36:43 »

i know a visual basic one, add your graphics, make npcs and create functions such as the menu and stuff, i think its called vbgore, google it. Its worth a look at if you want to do something mmorpg but dont want to invest too much time.

<b>Check out my Development Blog:</b> <a href="http://www.scottscreations.com">Scotts Creations</a> | <b>Games in Development: </b> <a href="http://mechwarfare.scottscreations.com">Mech Warfare</a> | Mech Warfare: Facebook Edition | Game Master
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-02-23 21:23:57 »

My 2nd mmorpg(not finished) I used project darkside and jpct.
Using those 2 engines helped me a lot, but as I said its not finished. It took a lot of my time, so its currently on pause.

For now I'm building a client for another mmorpg which is currently out.
But that uses no engine and the client is built from scratch.
I suggest using 2d if possible, it makes things a lot more simpler.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-02-23 23:37:18 »

Is there such a thing as a MMORPG engine?

Sure there are network frameworks, distributed containers, rendering engines, scripting libraries frameworks... etc.

I doubt there is such a thing and even if there's something along those lines - is it really that 'massive'?

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 605
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-02-23 23:56:52 »

Indeed.

I think MMORPG are so resource constraint (or resource hungry), that you have to specialize the core right from the start. You end up with something that cannot be generic, and published as such.

But hey... these days any indie game with more than 3 simultaneous players is a MMO. I bet you can make/find some generic framework with that in mind.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline adon_y_coya

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-02-24 07:33:08 »

hmm project darkstar looks nice =)
but what futures he has?
how i understand this projectdarkstar for the online games, have good Object Oriented system, clien/server , and what he can do anything else, adon_y_coya?

"Project Darkstar aims to help developers and operators avoid a range of serious, yet typical, problems associated with massive scale online games, virtual worlds, and social networking applications today, including zone overloading, data corruption, and server underutilization. In addition, Project Darkstar enables developers to support new dimensions of play such as evolving virtual worlds and very large scale battlefields."

Mainly it handles all the technical details for network, server-client communication, server-clustering and DB interface/installation.
The developer can then focus on the actual game she wants to make on the server side, and on enriching the client (it's a simple java application).

As for its future? I could not know - but I think it's sponsored by Sun, so it should last...
Offline hell32.dll

Senior Newbie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-02-24 08:26:41 »

DB interface/installation.

did i can attach hibernate for control db?

that all what i was want to know, i think the projectdakstar will be very helpful

As for its future? I could not know - but I think it's sponsored by Sun, so it should last...

i saw in some papers of the project, part of they was from Sun...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Bonbon-Chan

JGO Coder

Medals: 12

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-02-24 16:39:56 »

Is there such a thing as a MMORPG engine?

Sure there are network frameworks, distributed containers, rendering engines, scripting libraries frameworks... etc.

I doubt there is such a thing and even if there's something along those lines - is it really that 'massive'?

Well, may be something like "NeL" ?
Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-02-24 17:47:40 »

Well, may be something like "NeL" ?

"NeL is a toolkit" - not an engine :p

hmm, it is a bit weird when I read the intro it looked like a stack with additional provisioning / 'glue code'. But reading on a bit it seems they aim at making all the stuff themselves, perhaps I should just read about it a bit more...

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline h3ckboy
« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-02-25 08:51:08 »

do yous till program witha n engine? cause if not, why do it? The coding is 90% of the fun. the toher 10% is other people congratulating you lol.
Offline hell32.dll

Senior Newbie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-02-25 15:49:40 »

h3ckboy i know, the most fun in programming =) but i'm think projectdakrkstar will be good platfor for client/server system of the mmorpg, other futures i will make as usualy...by fingers Grin

Offline adon_y_coya

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2010-02-03 17:29:16 »

Just a heads up, Oracle is discontinuing the Project Darkstar (http://www.projectdarkstar.com/forum/?topic=1540.0;topicseen)   Sad
Offline kevindude

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #15 - Posted 2010-05-18 10:52:05 »

Threerings has built out an engine for its own games but opensourced it. You can get it from http://www.threerings.com/code. They have developed a 'Distributed Object' system for the purpose of a mmorpg game. The idea is to allow mutiple clients to connect to a server but the game state is only maintained on the server, the clients can not change that locally but only issue a request to the server. when the server accept and process that request, new game state will be broadcasted to all clients interested. Besides, all communications between clients are through the server. Of course, the engine is not limited to the client-server part, but abstracted a lot of things to just make the game making easier.

The only problem is that the documentation is not done very well and some of them is even a bit of outdated and the community is small and not active either. which means you probably have to work on your own but ask no one. It sounds a little sad and yes it is, when the moment you choose to use Java to develop a game, there are not many options out there so I decide to just bear with it. The good thing is the engine is commercially tested robust, at least all its own games are built on top of it so you can just rely on it.
Offline dime

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2010-09-03 01:08:54 »

Looks like Dark Star has changed to Red Dwarf: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/reddwarf/

If it's open source, hopefully it'll continue on?

Has anyone worked with this?  How nice is the API, can you send serialized objects and things like that (ala Kyrpo/Ninja)?
How simple is the API?
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #17 - Posted 2010-09-03 05:53:52 »

Looks like Dark Star has changed to Red Dwarf: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/reddwarf/

If it's open source, hopefully it'll continue on?
Has anyone worked with this? 
I'm currently using it for my game project which will allow users to easy create 'modules' that could expand to MMO's.
Red dwarf is still being worked on.

How nice is the API, can you send serialized objects and things like that (ala Kyrpo/Ninja)?How simple is the API?
You need to code in a different style, but once you get pasted that I found it easy enough. Most of its magic is in the background which you wont see.
You can send any kind of data you want.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (51 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (48 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (63 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (45 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (62 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (86 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (146 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (243 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (202 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (209 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org