Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Netbook - a low cost gaming platform?  (Read 8969 times)
Offline gholdys

Projects: 1

« Posted 2009-01-30 21:34:21 »

Hello all

The netbooks market is growing quite fast and will probably grow throughout 2009 despite the recession. I'm aware, that these devices are not meant to be gaming platforms, however, nVidia has recently announced, that it will move into the netbooks space with their GeForce 9400M chip. So there will be enough GPU power on those things to run simple 3D games. No hard-core gamer will ever even think about playing a game on a netbook, but casual gamers might be interested. Quite a lot of netbooks run some sort of Linux (of course the majority runs Windows XP, but still), so Windows-only games will have a limited penetration of the market. Could this be a chance for Java? After all, it seems to be the only available technology for creating web-deployable, cross-platform games with decent real-time 3D graphics (Shockwave does not work on Linux). Am I right?

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-01-30 21:59:08 »

it's a good idea, I hand you that.
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 11

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-01-30 22:47:08 »

The first thing I did wih my netbook was to get rid of Linpus & install XP  Roll Eyes
Though I guess not everyone will do that...

So long as you arn't using anything too fancy they're already 'fast enough'; as i've said elsewhere the Intel GMA 945 in mine can manage 40-60 fps, 1024x600, max detail in Quake 3.

I'd hope it'd be upto running 'simple 3D games'

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gholdys

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-01-31 13:47:23 »

Here's an interesting short article from Netbook News: http://www.netbooknews.it/en/samsung-nc10-netbook-da-gioco/

Offline gouessej
« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-01-31 14:11:56 »

The first thing I did wih my netbook was to get rid of Linpus & install XP  Roll Eyes
Linpus is badly packaged... but Xandros is fine. In France, 80% of the EEE PC are sold with Linux and most of the people do NOT install XP instead Smiley
The problem is that it often has only the JRE 1.5 Sad

Offline Bonbon-Chan

JGO Coder

Medals: 12

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-01-31 14:56:47 »

Well, it is not a PC Netbook but you can take a look to the OpenPandora project. We can't get one right now but I'm planing to try to make Java+LWJGL work on it (it seem that there is allready java on it).
Offline gouessej
« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-01-31 16:00:46 »

Well, it is not a PC Netbook but you can take a look to the OpenPandora project. We can't get one right now but I'm planing to try to make Java+LWJGL work on it (it seem that there is allready java on it).
The JVM is optional on OpenPandora Sad JOGL-ES works on it.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-01-31 18:03:32 »

Bought one for my daughter for Christmas, ASUS with Xandros.  Comes with a JVM already installed.  Played a bunch of Java games on it, no problem.  Played other Linux 3D games, runs really well.  The Netbook market is enormous and it will continue to be the laptop market leader for the next 2 years at least.

Good that they are all shipping, at least the Linux ones, with Java 1.5.  Oh, and like 4 other kids in my neighborhood got one this holiday as well.  Want to target the youth market?  Java for Netbooks is a great place to focus!

Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-01-31 19:11:39 »

Whatever happens, developers need to stop assuming screen min height of 768  Angry

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-01-31 19:30:25 »

?? what do you mean?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-01-31 19:49:23 »

Most netbooks have odd resolutions screens, light 1024x600.

Kev

Offline gholdys

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-01-31 20:16:55 »

Do you think there's any chance to make a deal with some Linux maker (Canonical for instance), to have one's game bundled with the OS?

Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-01-31 20:52:11 »

I guess there is a slim one. but is unlikely.
Offline lithos

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-06-24 23:17:27 »

I'm using a netbook right now for everything after my desktop decided to retire.   They're actually surprisingly powerful, I've done some casual gaming(nothing 3D yet, I'll be trying war3 eventually but not now), light programming(VB.net + database stuff, and  working on a Java game), and obviously basic Internet stuff like YouTube/DeviantArt.

flash will "blip" out on occasion like it's timer skipped a beat or two.   from all the java games I've tried they're running as expected.   I've even tried running runescape and got around 12-15 FPS in it's "large screen" mode, anything else runs fine.   The game that I'm working on still has 60+ FPS and only around 2K-3K skipped frames instead of 20K-30K, I'm using java2D for drawing images and manipulating the rotation/position of the the Graphics2D class.   I've come across a reviewer who said he managed to run WoW on minimal settings.

Accer Aspire 1.   1.6 Ghz, 1GB ram 256KB of that shared with the 954 chipset for video(no vertex shader, or HW transform/lighting).   TONS of CRAPWARE to boot.   Obviously no CD drive.   Screen resolution 1024 x 600(no ability to go bigger),  thank god for the F11 and all the expand view button editors have.

There are no such things as bugs...  Only happy accidents.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-06-25 10:35:31 »

Do you think there's any chance to make a deal with some Linux maker (Canonical for instance), to have one's game bundled with the OS?
It would be fine but it is quite difficult to make RPM or DEB packages for Java games especially when it uses third party libraries. JPackage might help but there are some problems with JOGL. I am trying to convince the programmers of DJL ("dépôts de jeux linux" = "Games repository for Linux") to accept Java games.

Offline Cero
« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-06-25 11:10:32 »

Whatever happens, developers need to stop assuming screen min height of 768  Angry

actually I assumed 720 min height, as in 720p(1280x720x60fps)
my game is able to run in that mode

but 1024x600 ?

nah im not convinced that they will really be all that popular
i can get a high end laptop for maybe 500 Euro

those netbooks do not seem to be all that cheap

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-06-25 14:39:55 »

Indeed they're not, by about a factor of 2x more than I'd consider paying for one. The magic price point is about £150 I think.

Cas Smiley

Offline lithos

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-06-25 17:19:31 »

Walmart has sold about a dozen in the past month after I asked the guy where all their stock went.  A dozen also isn't a bad number considering I live in a smallish "almost city".

I think it fits the trend for going small, but at the same time doesn't scare away the people who don't want to go cellphone size.

There are no such things as bugs...  Only happy accidents.
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-06-25 23:25:01 »

Indeed they're not, by about a factor of 2x more than I'd consider paying for one. The magic price point is about £150 I think.

Cas Smiley

Funny you should say that - the first Acer Aspire One I bought cost exactly that.
The 2nd one was £130.

Granted they were special clearance deals (from Asda & Tesco respectively) that have yet to be beaten by any big suppliers.
However, you don't get much of a laptop for £130; certainly not one with a 1.6ghz hyper-threaded cpu, 1gb of ram, 120gb hdd and weights under 1kg.

Offline Cero
« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-06-26 09:38:17 »

ya I'm really on Cas with this one.

Also I personally wouldn't buy Acer notebooks, so that wouldn't be attractive at all, to me.
Nothing against Acer, just experience ^^  not as robust

Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-06-26 11:29:43 »

ya I'm really on Cas with this one.

Also I personally wouldn't buy Acer notebooks, so that wouldn't be attractive at all, to me.
Nothing against Acer, just experience ^^  not as robust

You're loss - I personally wouldn't allow preconceptions about build quality to prejudice against buying a particular manufacturers product.
Read the reviews and make an objective choice.

On features alone the AA1 is generally considered to be the 2nd best Netbook, beaten only by the Samsung NC10.
Though as the Samsung NC10 costs almost twice as much, it isn't really a direct competitor.

Offline Cero
« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-06-26 12:20:58 »

its kinda about trust
i just bought many acer products and saw people buying them and those products would just break
especially with notebooks

and everytime I look for something cheap in this area Acer is first, cheapest, and I always think "yeah, I know why"

just a bad feeling =P

Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-06-26 14:42:50 »

well my hp turned out to be a lemon... I don't know for every day use buy a business laptop not a consumer one.

That being said; I've seen some pretty bad things with acer laptops. stuff that melds ain't a good thing.

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline Cero
« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-06-26 23:08:57 »

there is actually that joke around here "with acer you dont get a warranty, you get a lifespan"

because they break down after the warranty is over of course

Offline TheGDeveloper

« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-10-06 14:58:14 »

I thing that it is a Java market place
many netbooks come with dual boot (i have dropped the xp away) and you need cross platform architectures
Netbooks has new opportunities for casual game developers

Offline TheGDeveloper

« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-10-06 14:58:50 »

but nothing can beat MAME...

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-10-06 19:13:41 »

MAME's great except for the one small issue usually overlooked by rose-tint bespectacled nerds such as ourselves, which is that every single game you can play on MAME is utter crap.

Discuss.

Cas Smiley

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-10-06 23:04:17 »

I bought a Linux eee PC, within 3 or 4 months I had removed Xandros and put on Windows Server 2003. Never looked back. Lots of retailers also find that Linux machines have far higher return rates, complaints and issues with support (I believe it was MSI who had an internal report where their Linux machines had double the return rate). So people want Windows, not Linux.

Developing commercial games for a Linux platform is also nothing new, there are several companies paid to port mainstream titles to the OS. But it's a tiny niche section of the games industry creating games for a tiny niche OS (niche for desktops). There is very little money in it. Plus the majority of Linux users aren't that interested in games (or at least not as much as the typical Windows users).

Another issue for me is that I've always found Java runs consistently best on Windows (for example the not too recent Direct3D pipeline for Java2D), and Windows machines are typically the best setup (they typically always run the Sun JVM and always have good graphics drivers installed). I've also had the least number of OS specific bugs on Windows. So I'd prefer to target netbooks running Windows then Linux.

Chrome OS might swing it. But currently it looks like any other Linux distro, except with Chrome.

Offline TheGDeveloper

« Reply #28 - Posted 2009-11-14 11:57:37 »

but nothing can beat MAME...
a java mame probably
lol

Offline TheGDeveloper

« Reply #29 - Posted 2009-11-14 12:18:27 »

I bought a Linux eee PC, within 3 or 4 months I had removed Xandros and put on Windows Server 2003. Never looked back. Lots of retailers also find that Linux machines have far higher return rates, complaints and issues with support (I believe it was MSI who had an internal report where their Linux machines had double the return rate). So people want Windows, not Linux.

Developing commercial games for a Linux platform is also nothing new, there are several companies paid to port mainstream titles to the OS. But it's a tiny niche section of the games industry creating games for a tiny niche OS (niche for desktops). There is very little money in it. Plus the majority of Linux users aren't that interested in games (or at least not as much as the typical Windows users).
It is not that we are not interesting about games
this can be proven by the open source game development teams that develop linux games
The difference is at the age of linux users
most of uss learned Linux when we where grown up men ( learned at 19) and we do not spend so muc money about games as kids do
Linux no has only the 10% of desktop market
still it is not a good idea to develop games for it but it is not bad to port one on this
Doom 3 and Unreal tournament had profits
Another issue for me is that I've always found Java runs consistently best on Windows (for example the not too recent Direct3D pipeline for Java2D), and Windows machines are typically the best setup (they typically always run the Sun JVM and always have good graphics drivers installed). I've also had the least number of OS specific bugs on Windows. So I'd prefer to target netbooks running Windows then Linux.
i am programming with java 7 years now and i never had problems with either Linux or windows
Chrome OS might swing it. But currently it looks like any other Linux distro, except with Chrome.
Chrome is not a new operating system (even if google promotes that as if it was) it is just Linux
it is the Google's Linux distribution nothing less and nothing more

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (18 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (31 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (41 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (60 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org