Games in Android Showcase (120)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  How to render images from solids/surface modeler through to jogl/openGL  (Read 1579 times)
Offline fmisa

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2009-01-25 20:51:56 »

Hi All...

I hope someone here can suggest some resources or share some thoughts on how the graphics/modeling world are integrated with jogl/openGL ?

I'm very new to openGL/jogl -- and have done the usual searches etc.....
After some time now, it's still not clear to me how data is moved from a modeler (like Blender), through to rendering (maybe with POVRay) and finally integrated/manipulated/displayed using openGL/JOGL ?

I understand there are utilities out there like "POV2GL" that can transform a POVRay file format to OpenGL code/meshers but am I looking/reading outdated methods/processes to get from Model to OpenGL -- it just seems too complex....

I'm considering one of the tooling-stacks -- see text below..... but not quite sure what current best practice is RE: Getting the surface/solid/model info. rendered and into openGL fast enough to be fluid/real-time animation with photo-realistic look....

I'd like to experiment - developing a virtual pinball game.
Sites like: http://bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html  provide encouraging Java gaming statistics/results - but I don't want to go too far down the road -- only to realize that the performance won't be there ?

I'd like to coordinate rich stereo sound, photo realistic graphics - with very minimal animation, and very realistic physics...
I'd like the images to look as good as this:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glasses_800_edit.png
Link copied from here:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POV-Ray

I'd like the playfield to be a static 3D photo-realistic image -- with only the ball and a couple elements animated at any one time... spinner, pop-bumper etc.

I know I can probably produce such an image using Blender and POVRAY..... but how on earth do I integrate/interact-with and display using openGL.

There does not seem to be much discussion/examples out there on the web....

Is that because -- current "game" developers use a different approach ?

Hope to hear from someone here....
Thanks
F

----------------------
                  ogre4j
----------------------
jogl              ogre
----------------------
        opengl
----------------------
   * myGameEngine
----------------------
    JNI    |
-----------
Newton Game Dynamics
----------------------
joal              fmod
----------------------

* myGameEngine/openGL <== ?how? <===> BlenderSurfaces <===> IGES <===> CADSolids
Offline fmisa

Junior Newbie

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-02-02 18:54:51 »

OK - Maybe I'm being too general.... in my previous post....

1) I know solids modelling tools provide the ability to animate a view of your rendered image.
    So for example (within Blender) you can render your model to POVRAY and then animate along a path.
2) Animation tooling could for example generate a series of images along a certain path.
3) I think you can then take the series of images/raw-bytes and present in an openGL panel/window.

But this leaves me having to generate every possible image/view, for every point in my 3D world/model.
Is this how game developers to it ?

* There must be an easier way -- to go from model -- to openGL and generate the images on an as-needed basis ?
* If you're just using openGL to present raw-bytes/images you've exported from your modelling tool -- how do you detect collision/interraction between the chacaters/objects you want to animate and the the 3D world you've exported.
There must be a way to present the model in openGL without losing knowledge of edges, walls, boundries etc.

Any pointers to tutorials, resources on the web would be greatly appreicated....

Thanks
F
Offline Evil-Devil

Senior Duke

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-02-04 12:26:40 »

Normally you will create the 3D Models with your 3D tool and export them to the desired binary/asci format your game/engine supports.
Your game/engine will read/load those files and display them the way you like to.

Creating a game is a huge amount of work and time. Even a small game will consume a big amount of it, when you start developing games.

Thats the flow i know so far and used to do.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-02-04 12:43:00 »

have you ever programmed in 2D. and I am hoping you have, because then all this si another one of those "I want to program another quake, only problem is that I cant program. I cant pay you but will you make it for me", please  no one will reply.
Offline Hansdampf

Senior Duke

Projects: 3

too offending?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-02-04 13:06:15 »

I'd like the playfield to be a static 3D photo-realistic image -- with only the ball and a couple elements animated at any one time... spinner, pop-bumper etc.

don't worry about 3D formats then, just render everything to image files [multiple for animations], and display them in the game.

lots of sillystupid games: http://www.emaggame.com
Offline fmisa

Junior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-02-06 04:30:31 »

Thanks for the replies.... I appreciate it.

So I understand now that JOGL/opengl would take a stream of "primitives" from my games engine;  the opengl processing "pipeline" would take care of rendering this on the screen.  The collision detection and conversion from model=>to opengl primitives would be done at the layer of my game engine.  I'm curious... how does JOGL make use of an openGL/pipeline that is implemented in hardware on the graphics card;  wouldn't each card offers "extras" that others don't ?

h3ckboy:  No to 2D "games" programming though I've done plenty of Charting/Graphing in Java and have been programming Java for nearly 10 years now.  Most of my experience has been high-level, business applications development.  I only touched on C++ and some Assembly programming in University and would be very pleased if I could leverage my Java skills and avoid using C/Assembly though I'm skeptical.   JOGL caught my eye a couple of years ago.  If I never write a game engine -- but learn more about the new Java memory and threading models, NIO and openGL image rendering.... then I'm happy.   As for game engines -- my interest is Pinball.

Hansdampf: I was thinking that too.  But I won't be able to get away with totally static background.  As I mentioned in my original post - think of a pinball playfield;  some elements need to be animated like spinners, pop-bumpers, though most of it is static during gameplay.
Perhaps its the LCD/Hardware they use -- but I've been disappointed by the graphics of these attempts:
     http://globalvr.com/products_up_cabinet.html
     http://globalvr.com/products_up.html
     http://www.acquiremag.com/game/misc-gaming/tab-austria-virtual-pinball.php

Maybe I could just animate small sections of the larger static image when needed ?
This approach is even more interesting -- it would give a pinball playfield a real-world feel.
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

In any case -- from what I'm reading and hearing from you guys....  I'd have to create my own utilities to convert whatever "3D"Model format I'm using into primitives that I could render through JOGL to openGL if I go that route.

There are no "standard" utilities, tools for this type of operation ?  I'm surprised - given that this would be a very common requirement.

Take Care...
Thanks
F
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (43 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (33 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (37 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (59 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (85 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org