Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Community Project Mark 562 - Game Direction Vote  (Read 12403 times)
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 171
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Posted 2009-01-12 11:12:44 »

This vote got screwed up, go here instead:

http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/community-project-mark-562-game-direction-vote-v2/19710/view.html

Kev

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 50

« Reply #1 - Posted 2009-01-12 11:55:59 »

I would like to contribute about 3-5h per week. I would either do some coding as long as I get fed with tangible tasks or do project management and task specification myself. But not both Wink (I am tired of being mr-do-it-all at work  Roll Eyes)

Edit: I am an experience java developer with 15y+ programming history, but never really finished a game related project because I tend to give up on things I have to do alone  Undecided

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline Mr_Light

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #2 - Posted 2009-01-12 12:18:35 »

I guess on average 5 hours a week.

programmer - don't make me do art
Wouldn't mind setting up a development environment(tools, coordination, code review.) - don't make me do project management

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jackal von ÖRF

« Reply #3 - Posted 2009-01-12 12:31:12 »

If we decide to go for a RTS, it might be possible to take some ideas from Shattered Galaxy. I have played it only briefly during its beta test, so I can't comment much on it, but it had a persisted world.

EDIT: I don't think that I would have the time to take part in this, at least not in the coming months. If I have time later (maybe 5-10 h/week), I can help with programming. I'm also involved in Project Darkstar and I'm making a similar application server of my own (http://dimdwarf.sourceforge.net/), so I can help with those if you decide to use one of them.

Offline aldacron

Medals: 9
Exp: 16 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2009-01-12 12:40:03 »

I'd happily contribute 5 ~ 10 hrs/wk depending upon my schedule. Some times more when I need a break from my other projects. I'm strictly a programmer. You wouldn't want me anywhere near the art.
Offline SimonH
« Reply #5 - Posted 2009-01-12 12:55:41 »

Count me in - just don't ask me for artwork!
    o
  /O¯ Bang!
   / \

People make games and games make people
Offline SunshineKiller

« Reply #6 - Posted 2009-01-12 15:34:03 »

o
  /O¯ Bang!
   / \

I dunno SimonH your pretty good. haha, i can do art might be more helpfull there than in programming.  I dunno how many around 5 or less, im just fairly busy *2 jobs + school* Smiley

<b>Check out my Development Blog:</b> <a href="http://www.scottscreations.com">Scotts Creations</a> | <b>Games in Development: </b> <a href="http://mechwarfare.scottscreations.com">Mech Warfare</a> | Mech Warfare: Facebook Edition | Game Master
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #7 - Posted 2009-01-12 16:59:31 »

I can probably only put in a few hours a week, my wedding is in 2 months (not to mention struggling to get my 4K entry done) so pretty busy. After that I should be able to put in considerably more. If we end up going for a 2D Space Trader I can contribute any of the stuff I did for StrafeFighter.
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #8 - Posted 2009-01-12 17:20:44 »

I'd like to put in 3-5 hours a week, and i think it'd be cool to make a multiplayer RTS.

I've got some path-finding code which might be of use, as well as some network code.

Never done 3d programming but i'd love to see how you guys do it for this project. Also I haven't taken part in an open-source project and my internet access is patchy, so I'm not much use for helping to organise stuff Smiley

Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

Medals: 32

« Reply #9 - Posted 2009-01-12 17:29:08 »

I would love to help, but unfortunately I have little enough time for my own coding.  Once summer roles around I should have more time to spare.  Given that, I'm a reasonable artist and would be willing to do 2d and 3d art or interface design and that type of thing (although not too much at once  Undecided)

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2009-01-12 17:52:29 »

I think I could do 10 hours per week. I'd be willing to work on any aspect of the game, including art or sound or story. I have a friend who could do music.

Guess I should put an about me in here:

I've been making games for around 9 or 10 years, making them in Java for 6. I have experience both working solo and working in teams, and have finished a number of projects in both sectors. I have led a team of 17 people that consisted of 7 programmers in making a game, and right now I'm working professionally among a team of 5 people (but not a management position). Throughout all the games I've made I've created all the art, music, and sounds, so I'm decent at those by now. I also have spent a good portion of my life writing various types of fiction, including game scripts.

So, like I said, I'd be up for anything.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline jcouture

Junior Newbie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2009-01-12 17:53:44 »

I volunteer for this project!

I can easily dedicate 10h/week for the project.

I am a Java developer with approximately 5 years of experience. I have worked on multiple game projects in the past, only could not finish any of them, either because of lack of time or lost of interest.

I am eager to dive in.
Offline bienator

OutOfCoffeeException

« Reply #12 - Posted 2009-01-12 18:34:44 »

I have worked on multiple game projects in the past, only could not finish any of them, either because of lack of time or lost of interest.
lol, perfect preconditions for a contributor  Tongue

Offline jcouture

Junior Newbie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2009-01-12 18:44:47 »

I concur... Undecided

Maybe I should have mentioned that I worked solo on these projects, and would really like to experience a team project.

Smiley
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10
Projects: 4

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #14 - Posted 2009-01-12 19:40:24 »

If it ends up being RTS I will be able contribute a fair amount.

As for the space trading game (as its never been a style of game id play), I feel ill be doing alot more learning than helping at the start. So I wont say how much time I can put in at the moment.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 50

« Reply #15 - Posted 2009-01-12 19:44:33 »

Watching the votes we might consider creating something like a RTS - Space Trade crossover.Smiley Thinking about this openly could perhaps lead to some unique gameplay ideas...

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline ewjordan

« Reply #16 - Posted 2009-01-12 21:06:59 »

I'll jump in with the rest of the pack and say around 5 hours a week is what I could reasonably afford, assuming we're talking about sometime after the end of January.  I may need to cut back a few months down the line if I end up taking on more consulting than I currently expect to, but we'll see.

My game-related expertise is mostly in physical simulation, but I've done a lot of stock market analysis, so I can help with any mathematical, statistical or market related stuff that needs doing.  I've had some neural net/genetic programming experience (genetic algorithms, too, but those are toys, not tools), though I'm not at liberty to share code for it, alas (it's not "mine" in the IP sense).  But if machine learning needs to be an element of this, I could certainly help out setting the direction and getting things running.

My current work involves setting up simulations to price bets in sports games; not sure that's relevant to this, but if it is, I'm your guy!
Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 6

Java games rock!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2009-01-12 22:15:53 »

I estimate would be able to put in between 10-20 hrs a month.

I have been programming java since 2000.

I have always wanted to create a space sim similar to that of Freelance as it is interface was simple to pick up (mouse controlled) and it had a great story.

I have a basic real time ray tracing engine which could be a base for a software rendering engine.
Offline t_larkworthy

Projects: 1

Google App Engine Rocks!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2009-01-12 22:47:40 »

mmmm. I would really like to join this effort. It's final year PhD though and somewhat bitterly I have had to neglect JOODE. If you go for a space sim, and you use JOODE (it is a java tech showcase after all), I will work on this project and use it to get JOODE in better condition. 4 hours a week min.

If you don't use JOODE. Then I would still like to contribute but sporadically according to my real work needs (I consider JOODE part of my PhD even if it is a bit too general, so I can make time for that). As for the vote: overall I don't really care what type of game it is (so I have not voted).

Space sim is good but I find trading tedious and boring. Rewarded internet top score mini-games in space stations?

RTS is a genre I prefer to play. God I loved TA. I liked supreme commander too until I played the ladders. Then I realized I would never be good at real RTSing and childishly never played it again. Haha. The SPRING engine (runs TA data) is open source, you can get inspiration from that (and I believe their was a successor to it too that has not been finished)

Actually bearing these things in mind, I think a space sim is probably better for this group effort. The fact that the genre has typically bored me makes me think there is massive room for game play improvement. Coding anything that comes near TA or SC would be harrowing. The flocking and the level of command automation in particular. Without those features its a pretty naff RTS (try playing the open source version of Warzone 2100, their group pathfinding is awful and the game really loses out because of it. The contributers are clever but they still can't it working right because it's genuinely a hard problem).

Summery: I see a good RTS technically very difficult to code and little room for improvement over state of the art. A space sim is pretty easy technically but needs lots of decent content (interesting missions, interesting sights to see in the galaxy etc.), which would suit this type of development coordination. (convinced myself enough to vote now Smiley )

Tom

Runesketch: an Online CCG built on Google App Engine where players draw their cards and trade. Fight, draw or trade yourself to success.
Offline SimonH
« Reply #19 - Posted 2009-01-13 01:29:18 »

Rewarded internet top score mini-games in space stations?
+1e10 Brilliant! What a fantastic idea - "Explore the universe of Java games!" Each space-station has a terminal on which the player can play that station's games (could these even be links to other sites?). they'd have to fly to whichever station to play favorite games, or they could just browse from station to station, never sure what they might find... This is really good incentive for casual gamers; trade, upgrade ship or try local mini-games. I can hear the forums now: 'goto java-space-thing.com & hspace to planet L4KDEAD' (or DSRTBUS for that matter...)
"Set hyperspace for star cluster J4K2010!"  Grin *hic*

People make games and games make people
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #20 - Posted 2009-01-13 02:04:04 »

+1

That's definitely a great idea. Maybe you can also install games in your ship's computer, and play mini games while you fly around.

The potential problem with that though is that we don't want it just to feel like a giant collection of mini games framed in a weird space-game that just inhibits you from directly getting the game you want (via internet).

I think it makes more sense to have each planet potentially get its own game(s), and those games are supposed to be some sort of simulation of what's going in that world. Take Earth, for example. When you dock, perhaps a certain mission requires you to collect some plutonium? In order to get some, you've got to blast your way past some sentries in a laboratory and steal it out a refrigerator. Then you've got a simple third person shooter like Left4kDead as part of this planet. Similarly if you went to Earth maybe you're supposed to find out what the latest fad is and then buy it. This could be a people-observing game where sprites of people walk around and they have a random device on their body. You've got to count them up and find which one is being used the most. Or to get more specific perhaps your mission is to stop the trouble in the Gaza Strip, in which case you need to do a simple text-adventure type game where you choose conversation options between leaders to ease the tension and form an agreement.

Basically what I'm saying is that yes there are a massive number of side games we could put on planets, but I don't think it should be like every planet has a unique Arcade game, I think it should be that every planet has its own challenges that you've got to overcome. As such, the main character in the mini games would be the same as in the main space game, and the graphics styles would need to be similar.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #21 - Posted 2009-01-13 02:45:53 »

+1e10 Brilliant! What a fantastic idea - "Explore the universe of Java games!" Each space-station has a terminal on which the player can play that station's games (could these even be links to other sites?). they'd have to fly to whichever station to play favorite games, or they could just browse from station to station, never sure what they might find... This is really good incentive for casual gamers; trade, upgrade ship or try local mini-games. I can hear the forums now: 'goto java-space-thing.com & hspace to planet L4KDEAD' (or DSRTBUS for that matter...)
"Set hyperspace for star cluster J4K2010!"  Grin *hic*

Isn't the idea to make a good game rather than fancy way of launching other games? This would basically just be Second Life in space. Frankly I think most mini-games are a bad idea all together, they detract from the main game experience unless they are carefully and seamlessly integrated. I think the Zelda series has perfect example of compelling mini-games that do not distract from the main game. If you couldn't rip out the mini-games and still have a compelling experience I think you have failed.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #22 - Posted 2009-01-13 03:06:30 »

Very true. Hence the reason why I think you should still be your character in a variety of on-planet situations, and then I think it could still work. In Escape Velocity, one of my favorite games ever and a child of Elite, I always wished you could go on the planets. Instead, a text box would come up and say, "You get attacked by some bad guys but you're so awesome that you manage to kick their butts" sort of thing. Considering that we're going to have missions that tell a storyline (we are going to have them, aren't we?), it makes a lot of sense to have some planet-side mechanics to play out these story pieces.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #23 - Posted 2009-01-13 04:30:35 »

I can contribute about 2-4h per week. I'm not too interested in the coding aspect but I can create 2D/3D art...

Offline Mr_Light

shiny.

« Reply #24 - Posted 2009-01-13 06:25:43 »

Summery: I see a good RTS technically very difficult to code and little room for improvement over state of the art.
As a technical showcase the idea being technically challenging doesn't sound like a bad idea. Little room for improvement sounds weird in the face of little changing with respect to the state of art of the last 10 years. - I see this all as pro's not con's.

As mentioned in the other thread by someone else; mini-games will only prove the ability of this community to create games - something I think the 4k competition and showcase threads already prove.

// edit
tbh if everyone who voted is prepared to put in some time you could probably make both of them

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #25 - Posted 2009-01-13 09:17:35 »

// edit
tbh if everyone who vated is prepaired to put in some time your could probably make both of them

yeah totally. I would really like to see a community project get finished and done well. I really dont think that, there is any base code currently for a space trading game  (Please prove me wrong). It also seems like the sort of game were there would be alot of (non programming side) balancing, and I fear that it will be about alot of people communicating what they think is best while the programmers have to try make it work and please them. It seems the result of this voting is tending towards a space trade.

Just curious, would anyone be willing to focus on an RTS project, Im willing to contribute my own project (currently only LWJGL), main things it would need are: particle engine, 2D render version(currently only 3D). Heeps more but to give an idea of the main things still lacking

My Projects

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #26 - Posted 2009-01-13 10:05:21 »

1) The vote isn't over yet, it might be RTS here yet
2) At least 50% of the people say they have time now, won't have when it comes to it
3) Fragmenting before anything gets started isn't a great thing to do
4) Having a set of base code that one person wrote and not everyone has buy into isn't good for motivation or progress. Check out the JRPG project for a perfect example.
5) I'm still very happy to let someone else take the heading up job and be a willing participant instead if anyone wants to volunteer.

Kev

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #27 - Posted 2009-01-13 10:26:44 »

1) The vote isn't over yet, it might be RTS here yet
yeah I wasnt really focusing, its 37oC here and Im sweeting like a pig, just typing as I think.

3) Fragmenting before anything gets started isn't a great thing to do
yeah, A bit premature.

5) I'm still very happy to let someone else take the heading up job and be a willing participant instead if anyone wants to volunteer.
Youve got the gears spinning smoothly so far Cheesy

My Projects

Online gouessej
« Reply #28 - Posted 2009-01-13 10:47:47 »

4) Having a set of base code that one person wrote and not everyone has buy into isn't good for motivation or progress. Check out the JRPG project for a perfect example.
It depends on the quality of the source code. If it has been written by a single man but it is readable and documented, it might be more motivating than starting from scratch. In my case, I began with a dirty source code with only a very few comments, it was more motivating than starting from nothing on my view.

kevglass, is it an open source project?

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #29 - Posted 2009-01-13 10:51:42 »

It's not decided if it's open source or not yet. Hopefully that hasn't got anything to do with the voting.

Kev

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (39 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (30 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (19 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (45 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (27 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (41 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (50 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (54 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org