Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (556)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Java 3D on Sony Playstation 2  (Read 9135 times)
Offline fed007

Junior Newbie

Big Brother is parsing...

« Reply #30 - Posted 2002-12-11 13:12:11 »

I like the way Breakfast thinks.   I didn't want to mention the irony of the forum vs cgi though  Cool .

The one topic I have not seen discussed yet is the onset of Virtual Reality and Java3D strengths.

At the point the interface becomes reality(affordable with some quality)  it will be an entrirely new experience to gamers.

Remember what each person is seeking,  an immersive experience.  Who likes playing on a 14" CRT TV?  Not me

I would trade Java3d graphics for an immersive environment any day of the week.  What will make java a major player is the ease of bringing new information into those new worlds.

The market will soon be driven by gameplay/functionality not graphics.  Does anyone remember playing an RPG as a kid and having memorable fun even if it was 16 bit graphics? I do.

If VR hits primetime, Java3D would be able to adapt and change the user view accordingly with minimal effort.

Java really does have a headstart,  and by the time the graphics processing catches up it will already be definitive.

fed007

Offline cknoll

Flame On!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2002-12-11 13:13:11 »

Augusto hit it right on the head.  You can marvel at pretty graphics for only so long before you realize that what you are playing is mindless.  This is not to understate the importance of a good looking game, but I would say that you can have a dated looking game with great gameplay that would be more long-lived than a great looking game with medicore gameplay (case in piont: starcraft: a tile based game with pretty dated graphics, but I can still sit down and enjoy it hour after hour).  The starcarft graphics are 'good enough' but the gameplay is outstanding.

This is my exact opinion of Java: the speed is good enough, and because it's easier to develop in i can spend more time making the gameplay more enjoyable and less time fixing bugs.

-Chris
Offline fed007

Junior Newbie

Big Brother is parsing...

« Reply #32 - Posted 2002-12-11 13:26:26 »

Ahhh,  where were all you Java guys earlier...

Nice to see some high level thought about the abstractions gained from the API...

This is where all the power is all derived from.  They (Sony and MS)  do not want to make 3D programming easy.  It lowers the developers barrier to entry.  (This is a backwards philosophy if you ask me...  X-Box could make java its bitch by deploying full API support)

It is NOW conceivable for a SINGLE developer to build games like Empire Earth/Command & Conquer within ONE year with multiplayer capability.  With this kind of power it is no wonder they don't wan't to support FULL Java on their devices.

The object architectures will define the logical abstractions and right now Java makes that all important cut to the hardware layer - There was a reason for Sun to do this...

The catch up game for others has already begun...

On another note I can't post this message because = " Resources Exceeded
Sorry, System load is too high to process CGI requests.

Please try again later.
"

hmmm may be time to use Java!

fed007

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #33 - Posted 2002-12-12 16:52:06 »

The 'exclusive games only on platform X' business model is broken
To show this, i have an amusing example. In France (maybe other countries as well), for Xmas, XBOX is sold with Sega GT2002. Now, Sega helps Microsoft selling consoles.
Quite weird, isn't it?

Home page: http://frederic.barachant.com
------------------------------------------------------
GoSub: java2D gamechmark http://frederic.barachant.com/GoSub/GoSub.jnlp
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #34 - Posted 2002-12-13 00:10:02 »

I work for Sony now :) Trust me, you won't see Java on PS2.

Cas :)

Cas, cas, cas.....Smiley

Great to hear that you are working for Sony!  However....

Never on PlayStation???

Ok, so we have a Java build on PS2.  Shown at JavaOne, demo apps running.  Where is it?  Well, let's just say that somtimes getting a simple build out to the public is not necessarily so simple.

And, you should know this, Sony is VERY committed to Java.  Don't be suprised if it does show up on a PS platform.....Smiley

-Chris

Offline markuskidd

Medals: 1

« Reply #35 - Posted 2002-12-13 00:41:10 »

money->where mouth is

jerome_blouin
Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 08:44 am

What happens about the the Java3D gran prix demo download?

Chris or Jeff?

jeff
Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 03:52 pm

The answer is a trifle complex but I'm working on it.

I did the work to run it out of a few Jar files and some DLLs. I'm playing with Installers right now and trying to fidn one whcih will do what we need that Sun has already licensed. My fallback which I may start working on is Java Web Start enabling it.

There are some other clean-up things that should really be done to it though before we release it or you'll end up downloading a whole lot of useless crap along with what you need to play the game.

Perhaps the PS2 question is also triflingly complex? From what I've seen Sun people make lots of committments but few deliveries.
Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #36 - Posted 2002-12-13 10:35:57 »

Going back to my previous point about one engine on several platforms, this is from an article about Enter The Matrix in this month's PC Zone:

... with a simultaneous PC, GameCube, Xbox and PS2 release in plan, isn't there a chance that PC owners will be saddled with another massively console-oriented title? Not so, says Dave [ Perry ] who explains that Shiny's ground-breaking cross-platform engine was designed from the ground up to use every machine to its full potential.

"Every minute spent making the game causes the results to appear on all four platforms. No matter what platform you're using, the game engine is squeezing every last bit of performance out of the hardware."

Not only is this what games companies want, it is what they are making and it is what Java was designed for- what it could and should be providing.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 369
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #37 - Posted 2002-12-14 09:10:10 »

As Chris hints, Sony are definitely committed to Java on PS.. but not PS2! Patience, all will be revealed etc. but don't go worrying about PS2 because it ain't gonna happen.

Cas Smiley

Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #38 - Posted 2002-12-27 16:33:09 »

Heh... just make sure that LWJGL will be able to run on whatever they come up with  Grin

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 369
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #39 - Posted 2002-12-27 18:35:11 »

Thank kinda depends on OpenGL and OpenAL becoming the standard games API on the 'station.

Which would be nice. Grin

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #40 - Posted 2003-01-06 22:04:44 »

True. But even if they just gave us Java and some C headers we could get by just fine and export another rendering interface underneath lwjgl... kinda like what the Java3D folks are about to tackle.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (16 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (33 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (42 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (41 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (26 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (37 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (73 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org