Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  World Rally Driver 4K  (Read 23413 times)
Offline Ranger
« Posted 2008-12-02 17:54:15 »

[size=12pt]WORLD RALLY DRIVER 4K[/size]

Score points driving world rally stages.
Race on asphalt, dirt, and snow.  Don't let your ghost car win!

http://www.java4k.com/index.php?action=games&method=view&gid=197
or
http://www.craig-mitchell.com/WorldRallyDriver/

Comments, problems, suggestions, anything else, more then welcome.  Smiley
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 68
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2008-12-02 19:26:33 »

cool Smiley

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline Ranger
« Reply #2 - Posted 2008-12-02 20:45:37 »

cool Smiley
Thanks Appel!  Smiley

BTW: I just changed the default zoom to be zoomed out.  I thought being zoomed out made it easier to play when you are just getting the hang of the game.  It will automatically zoom back in once you have scored some points on the track (unless you request a zoom, then it will stay with what you requested).  Let me know if anyone disagrees.  Cheers.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #3 - Posted 2008-12-06 01:36:36 »

Really nice game! Looks nice and plays well to. I especially like the fact that you can't press the accelerator the whole way through the game and make a good time. There should be corners where one have to slow down to make a good path through a turn. Unfortunately  for me, the game slows down quite a lot when the skidmarks are drawn, making it quite hard to play. I think you are right about the zoom level.

WinXP, Java 1.6

Offline Ranger
« Reply #4 - Posted 2008-12-06 06:31:22 »

Really nice game! Looks nice and plays well to. I especially like the fact that you can't press the accelerator the whole way through the game and make a good time.
Thanks Jojoh!

Unfortunately  for me, the game slows down quite a lot when the skidmarks are drawn, making it quite hard to play.
The skid marks are just a few fillRect calls on the background image (they modify the background image, so they are only done once).  Not sure why they would slow the game down.   Huh
bgGfx.setComposite(AlphaComposite.getInstance(AlphaComposite.SRC_OVER, 0.15f));
bgGfx.setTransform(AffineTransform.getTranslateInstance(...));
bgGfx.rotate(...);
bgGfx.setColor(new Color(0,0,0));
bgGfx.fillRect(...);

However, my game loop wasn't that great (it would always call sleep)  Roll Eyes.  I've now improved it to use yield.  If you get a chance, can you please try it again and let me know if I've fixed the problem.

Thanks!
Offline Ranger
« Reply #5 - Posted 2008-12-07 10:35:17 »

For a bit of fun (not part of the 4K comp).  I totalled the top 100 players scores based on countries to get a ranking of which countries had the best drivers.

The winner by a long shot was the United States (not too surprising there).

A very close 2nd and 3rd were the Brits followed by the Aussies!  Noooooooo!   Roll Eyes

You can check out the other places:  http://www.craig-mitchell.com/WorldRallyDriver/  then click on "Country Rankings".
Offline Mr. Gol

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

« Reply #6 - Posted 2008-12-07 12:24:20 »

This is really fun, I like the physics of the car and for some reason I actually perform better with the zoomed in view Smiley

I'm 47th in the total rankings, and everything worked fine on Mac OS X / Java 5 / Safari.
Offline Ranger
« Reply #7 - Posted 2008-12-09 20:09:38 »

I'm still a little unclear about the rule listed on the java4k site:
The game must be startable using Java Webstart.

Does my game (and the Left 4k Dead game) pass this rule?   persecutioncomplex  Technically, they both can be started via JWS....it's just that they both don't get started via JWS.   Undecided
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2008-12-09 20:35:05 »

I'm still a little unclear about the rule listed on the java4k site:
Does my game (and the Left 4k Dead game) pass this rule?   persecutioncomplex  Technically, they both can be started via JWS....it's just that they both don't get started via JWS.   Undecided

Well, this didn't come up until after the competition started.

The "webstart only" thing is mostly for user convenience, so the user doesn't have to leave the Java4K site to play the Applet games on another website.

I'm not sure how to handle this. There are a few Applet games, and I'm actually FOR Applet games. I'd like to enable developers to host their games on the Java4K site, so that the games are run as an Applet from the site, just like on any other normal game site on the Internets!

For now, I like to change this rule to: "The game must be startable using Java Webstart or as an Applet."

Offline Ranger
« Reply #9 - Posted 2008-12-10 06:22:35 »

The "webstart only" thing is mostly for user convenience, so the user doesn't have to leave the Java4K site to play the Applet games on another website.
You could start the Applets in a new page like you do for the links to the contestants web page.  target="_blank"

For now, I like to change this rule to: "The game must be startable using Java Webstart or as an Applet."
Thanks!   Smiley Smiley Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 16
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #10 - Posted 2008-12-10 08:20:11 »

I'm not sure how to handle this. There are a few Applet games, and I'm actually FOR Applet games. I'd like to enable developers to host their games on the Java4K site, so that the games are run as an Applet from the site, just like on any other normal game site on the Internets!

Awesome! =D

Play Minecraft!
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

games4j.com

« Reply #11 - Posted 2008-12-10 11:21:04 »

However, my game loop wasn't that great (it would always call sleep)  Roll Eyes.  I've now improved it to use yield.  If you get a chance, can you please try it again and let me know if I've fixed the problem.
Yup, that seems to have fixed it. Thanks! Very odd that the problem occurred in the first place. Code looks harmless. Anyway, now I can play for real Smiley

Well filled highscore list  Cool

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #12 - Posted 2008-12-10 21:01:05 »

Really awesome game. I think I spent 2 hours playing it trying to get a high score. I got the record for USA and I'm 2nd all-time! Woo!

PS - I hate Siberia.

[EDIT] - What happened to Tom's score?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Ranger
« Reply #13 - Posted 2008-12-10 21:24:01 »

Really awesome game. I think I spent 2 hours playing it trying to get a high score. I got the record for USA and I'm 2nd all-time! Woo!

PS - I hate Siberia.

[EDIT] - What happened to Tom's score?

Thanks Demonpants!  Great driving!!!

The "High Score" table is a rolling high score table.  The "Top 100 Players" table is where you earn your stripes!  Tom is the Commander-in-Chief of that table!   Smiley
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #14 - Posted 2008-12-11 00:10:18 »

Thanks Demonpants!  Great driving!!!

The "High Score" table is a rolling high score table.  The "Top 100 Players" table is where you earn your stripes!  Tom is the Commander-in-Chief of that table!   Smiley
Oh snap I'm only 5th!  Shocked

Gotta increase that Siberia score.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline tom
« Reply #15 - Posted 2008-12-11 07:25:26 »

I rule and you can all eat my dust. You will never beat me. Whooaaahaahaahaa Tongue

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #16 - Posted 2008-12-11 08:28:07 »

I rule and you can all eat my dust. You will never beat me. Whooaaahaahaahaa Tongue
I beat you in USA.  Cool

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline tom
« Reply #17 - Posted 2008-12-11 10:00:58 »

not anymore

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2008-12-11 11:07:23 »

Your game benefits tremendously from the hi-score list, adds lots of value to the gameplay. But as a standalone game, it wouldn't be as much fun.

In the strictest sense, the game must be "self-contained".

Hi-score lists are sort of in the gray area.

I like the idea of hi-score lists, but I think we need to make it explicit how a hi-score list can be implemented.
Should the 4K game be the only application that should manage and display a hi-score list file on some server?

What's stopping me from creating a 4K game that just spits out some numbers, which then I must use to insert into another application, which is a lot bigger than 4K, to see some effect?

I'm inclined to direct the judges to ignore the hi-score list, as it's an external application and should not be considered part of the 4K game itself.

What are your thoughts?

Offline Morre

JGO Knight

Medals: 2
Projects: 10

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #19 - Posted 2008-12-11 16:06:10 »

I agree with you - the highscore list should not be considered unless it can be proven that it fits into the 4kb.

In a similar fashion, I hope the judges last year ignored my non4kb version of Spiderball4k that featured replays, and preferrably also the map editor (although the map loading function was in the 4kb game, the editor itself was a separate program). Judging from the comments, they more or less did.

This game is pretty cool, btw. Smiley

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #20 - Posted 2008-12-11 17:41:04 »

That certainly seems like a logical thing to consider, and it's true. I wouldn't have spent nearly as long if I hadn't been trying to beat other people on the list.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Ranger
« Reply #21 - Posted 2008-12-11 20:47:49 »

I'm inclined to direct the judges to ignore the hi-score list, as it's an external application and should not be considered part of the 4K game itself.

Yes.  I totally agree.  I never meant for the high score table to be included in the competition (it is in no way under 4k!).  I have just created a page for the judges that does not include the high score table:  http://www.craig-mitchell.com/WorldRallyDriver/JudgesEdition.html  There is also a link at the bottom of the main page too.

Tom:  How do you drive so fast??? Shocked  Did you crack the code? Wink

Demonpants:  It's Sweden!  Not Siberia! Grin
Offline tom
« Reply #22 - Posted 2008-12-12 09:51:37 »

Tom:  How do you drive so fast??? Shocked  Did you crack the code? Wink

No I did not crack the code Roll Eyes

I've played it for hours and must have tried hundreds of times before getting the lap times I did. The trick is to get the difficult corner combinations right. With the perfect line you get a good speed out of the corner and that saves a lot of time. One trick is to cut a corner to slow down for the next one. After the competition you should make a non 4k version where you could save your ghost car track to the server. And make it possible raise against the ghost cars of other players. Then you see and learn how they did it.

On the USA track you should never release the forward key. It is possible to take the sharp corner at full speed. Also get as close to the edge of all the corners to get a good speed. I got 1019 once but it was not saved. I think that is the highest score possible.

On the Australia track all that mathers is to get the second last corner right. The rest of the track is easy and you always stay on the road.

The Sweden track is difficult. There is 3 corner combination that has to be perfect to get a good time.

Btw, please add the W key back. I like to use two hands and that is difficult only the arrow keys.

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

games4j.com

« Reply #23 - Posted 2008-12-12 11:42:33 »

After the competition you should make a non 4k version where you could save your ghost car track to the server. And make it possible raise against the ghost cars of other players. Then you see and learn how they did it.
There used to be a full version of this game, but it has been removed/is in hiding  Sad
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/top-down-racing-game-applet/17862/view.html
I think it is the same author, but entered with different nick here at jgo.
It seems like some games go from full version to 4K version.

Offline timfoden

Junior Devvie

Projects: 2

« Reply #24 - Posted 2008-12-13 09:45:35 »

Well, now you can eat my dust!   Tongue

Try Pipe Extreme -- can you get to the end of the pipe?
Offline Ranger
« Reply #25 - Posted 2008-12-13 10:08:44 »

Btw, please add the W key back. I like to use two hands and that is difficult only the arrow keys.

Managed to squeeze some more bytes out of the track data so the WSAD keys are back.  Smiley
Offline Ranger
« Reply #26 - Posted 2008-12-13 10:23:50 »

There used to be a full version of this game, but it has been removed/is in hiding  Sad
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/top-down-racing-game-applet/17862/view.html
I think it is the same author, but entered with different nick here at jgo.
It seems like some games go from full version to 4K version.
Yep.  That was my game too.  Different JGO nick because my girlfriend at the time thought it was funny that I was on a TV show playing a Ranger....anyway....The game was a prototype.  I went back to basics for this 4K version taking what I found worked.  Big thanks to all for playing it, and giving feedback.  It has helped me out a lot!  Smiley

Craigs Race will be back, better then ever.  I'm taking the best bits from the prototype and this 4K version.  It will feature other players replays, multi-player split screen, and computer cars.  After that version is done, I have plans to add police cars, drift mode, and cool stuff like that!  Grin
Offline tom
« Reply #27 - Posted 2008-12-13 10:42:52 »

Well, now you can eat my dust!   Tongue
crap!

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #28 - Posted 2008-12-13 22:48:09 »

Yep.  That was my game too.  Different JGO nick because my girlfriend at the time thought it was funny that I was on a TV show playing a Ranger....anyway....The game was a prototype.  I went back to basics for this 4K version taking what I found worked.  Big thanks to all for playing it, and giving feedback.  It has helped me out a lot!  Smiley

Craigs Race will be back, better then ever.  I'm taking the best bits from the prototype and this 4K version.  It will feature other players replays, multi-player split screen, and computer cars.  After that version is done, I have plans to add police cars, drift mode, and cool stuff like that!  Grin
Were you a power ranger?!?!?!

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Ranger
« Reply #29 - Posted 2008-12-14 08:18:56 »

Were you a power ranger?!?!?!
Hahaha!  No, the show wasn't nearly as kid friendly!  Wink  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291671/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (30 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (22 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (43 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (77 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (38 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (52 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (50 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (116 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (106 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org