Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (555)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  They're moving to Flash, here's why...  (Read 19657 times)
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 783
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #30 - Posted 2008-11-10 17:56:30 »

I have a database with a few dozen MB of textual stats.

Applets like this will occasionally fail to print anything (it just hangs):
public class Something extends Applet
{
   public void init()
   {
      System.out.println("hello world");
   }
}

If you embed an applet dynamically via DOM, there is a 20% chance of a deadlock. Up on removal from the DOM tree, you get a NullPointerException with a stacktrace pointing to a method that is about to download a JAR.
java.lang.InterruptedException
   at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
   at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)
   at sun.plugin.ClassLoaderInfo.lock(Unknown Source) <----------------------
   at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.loadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
   at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
   at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

It can (and will) crash on displaying the JAR loading orange animation.
Exception in thread "Thread-27" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.createTranslucentImage(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.createGradientShapeImage(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.initBackground(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.preloadResources(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.doPaint(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.AnimationPanel.run(Unknown Source)

Innocent little Exception on inserting an applet in the DOM tree, in case it is not crashed already. After this the applet runs...
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.loadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
   at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
   at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

It can (and will) throw an AccessControlException in Firefox, on:
public class Somehting extends Applet
{
   public void init()
   {
      Runnable task = new Runnable()
      {
         public void run()
         {
            try{ new Socket("my.very.own.host", 80); } catch(IOException exc) { ... }
         }
      };
      new Thread(task).start();
   }
}

Except if the FIRST connection made to your own server, is on the EDT. OK?

Then there is the problem that the orange preloader gets stuck at 50%, forever.
Just reload the page, and try again.

And ofcouse the problem that truely nothing happens. The applet is white.
Just reload the page, and try again.

Further, classes don't truely get unloaded. If you have classes that do a lot of precalculation, like creating a cos/sin lookup table and put it in a static field, and you refresh the page (and thus the applet) 10+ times, memory usage goes up very quickly, eventually slowing down your whole browser due to swapping. You can only restart your browser to get back to normal speed.
Also leaving a page with a super tiny 1x1px applet, only drawing a black pixel, it takes 2 seconds longer than leaving a normal page.

The LiveConnect bugs in FireFox cause your fancy features to either not work at all, or hang your browser.

Loading an applet GRABS FOCUS the hostile way, even if it does not have any 'input components'. If you were just entering data in a form, or in the address bar, so what, now the applet consumes all your keystrokes, until you click somewhere else. It will even cause to window.toFront on your browser window.
Last but not least, loading an applet freezes your browser for 2-3 seconds, it feels so 1990.

In conclusion:
steer clear of applets if you are doing anything commercially

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #31 - Posted 2008-11-10 18:24:39 »

'Swhy I use Java for Webstart only.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline brackeen

« Reply #32 - Posted 2008-11-10 18:33:58 »

If you embed an applet dynamically via DOM, there is a 20% chance of a deadlock. Up on removal from the DOM tree, you get a NullPointerException with a stacktrace pointing to a method that is about to download a JAR.
Those DOM insertion/removal crashes are interesting. What code did you use to edit the DOM? innerHTML or the appendChild() methods? Did you see those Exceptions yourself or get them from users?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #33 - Posted 2008-11-10 18:58:00 »

Nice... 91% is not too far away from the measurements already posted in this thread, and in the refered article.

Yep.  And confirming that those numbers are correct per Sun directly.

The problem is that it is not guaranteed to work on 100% of that 91%, it's more like 35-55% out of that 91%, resulting in 33-50% of installations with problems.

And where do you get your numbers from?  While that may be true in your particular case, I have not seen numbers like the 33-50% you have mentioned.  Sorry, I have not personally seen it, not to say that there may be some Java applets out there that are more problematic than others. 

I clearly recall Flash stuff on the www.java.com frontpage. Talking of which, the localisation of the current java.com pages is still CRAP, just like a year ago, it's offendingly stupid phrasing to any non-english visitor.

Yep, there is some stuff on the font page of Java.com.  There are some things that Flash is good for, some that it is not.  As for the localization issues, I forwarded the comments from this thread to the person who manages the site.  She replied to me and said she will look into this right away.

-Chris

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #34 - Posted 2008-11-10 19:15:30 »

Yep.  And confirming that those numbers are correct per Sun directly.

OK, then I know how to see your posting.

And where do you get your numbers from?  While that may be true in your particular case, I have not seen numbers like the 33-50% you have mentioned.  Sorry, I have not personally seen it, not to say that there may be some Java applets out there that are more problematic than others. 

It's a rather complicated Applet, however, the first thing I do in the Applet::init() is to 'ring home' to the hosting server. The URL that is requested, logs every request to a database.
Further, with mod_rewrite (in apache), the mystuff.jar is not pointnig to the file, but to a script, that logs the request, and then streams the file. So the browser just gets the file, when the browser requests it.

Now the thing is, after 45 seconds (!), an AJAX call is made to the very same URL, with slightly different parameters, so that the server-script knows it's the AJAX call ringing home.

So... now we have 3 moments we log something to the database:
 - up on downloading the JAR file (which is 'optional' as it may be cached)
 - up on having the webpage loaded for 45s (surely the applet must be loaded by now?)
 - up on the invocation of Applet::init() -> new Socket("my.host", 80);

Pretty solid eh? If you spot any obvious mistake in my logic, please tell.

Down to some statistics:
About 85% of our visitors (not hits, visitors!) downloads the JAR
About 98% of those indeed are 45s are longer on the page with the applet, so the AJAX call is received. (we seem to have very patient/relaxed visitors)
About 66% of the hits that received the AJAX call (after 45s on the page), managed to launch the applet AND the applet was able to 'ring home'

~85% x ~66% = ~54% (this varies over time) of our users manage to run our Applet.

In case you wonder, the target audience is: Spain, people that customize their furniture (fancy closets) so middle-age, I guess ?
Spain is slightly lagging behind in the latest technologies, as for example MSIE 6.0 is still very widely used (like 40%), so that might explain the 85% vs 91% diff.

Note: the JAR requires java 1.4 or higher. Further, my stats are actually a bit too positive, as I record it as a success, if a visitor manages to launch the Applet 1 time, out of... all attempts - where the average hits per visit on that Applet-page it roughly 2,5.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #35 - Posted 2008-11-10 19:16:58 »

The problem is that it is not guaranteed to work on 100% of that 91%, it's more like 35-55% out of that 91%, resulting in 33-50% of installations with problems.
After reading so much here about how applets suck so bad, I wonder why I've never seen (or heard about) the JEmu2 applets to be not working other than because of not having java...  Undecided

The JWS version on the other hand often fails for different reasons (most of the time OpenGL related issues though). I actually made the applets for compatibility reasons and so far that's working out quite well for me.

Am I lucky for doing something clever without knowing it, or am I just lucky for always being on the good 35% somehow, or is the applet too simple to trigger the plugin's suckyness? The applets are still played more than a 1000 times a day on average...
I'm not saying that there are no applets that suffer from bad plugin related issues, but it's just not what I'm seeing.

EDIT: And then I read Riven's above post...  Roll Eyes I'm not doing complex things like that. I just have a straightforward applet (although it does contact the server to tell it ran or if it crashes)

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #36 - Posted 2008-11-10 19:21:27 »

Actually, out of roughly 60.000 hits on that Applet-page, and knowing that 50% of the times the applet could not 'ring home', we only got 1 complaint that it failed to load.

People simply just don't bother to notify anyone.

Other than that, I think your website mainly attracts developers? (wild guess)

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #37 - Posted 2008-11-10 19:30:04 »

Actually, out of roughly 60.000 hits on that Applet-page, we only got 1 complaint that it failed to load.

I regularly get complaints about the JWS/OpenGL version not working, although the applets are more popular. In fact of the roughly 1 million visitors I had, I never had a complaint about the applet.

I don't know if the average user is a developer or not, but most of the feedback I receive is from people that just want to play the games and can't figure out (or can't be bothered with, or just don't know) MAME.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #38 - Posted 2008-11-10 19:48:52 »

I envy you.

Offline SimonH
« Reply #39 - Posted 2008-11-10 19:55:23 »

Oo, it's all doom and gloom today!
If the failure rate was as high as 50% then no developer would ever touch applets at all!

I've never done any serious analysis, but for a simple applet (1.4, no networking) I seem to get a failure rate of about 3-5% ('just doesn't work'). More people (~5%) report 'poor performance' but I've no way of knowing what else their machines are doing and as my apps tend to be processor-heavy I'm guessing that users multi-tasking is the problem.
I work on the assumption that 5-10% of people with java installed will have problems, which is not great but not a disaster for me.

A quick glance at the Runescape tech support forum suggests only moderate problems given the size of their user-base and that their major issues are loading resources & networking.

People make games and games make people
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #40 - Posted 2008-11-10 20:32:03 »

I envy you.

Well, like I said, the applet itself is very straightforward; just an applet tag with, well, an applet in it...
Maybe that explains why it seems to just work.

Offline ewjordan

« Reply #41 - Posted 2008-11-10 20:58:25 »

Bringing this back (for a moment) to the original blog post, there's more on the technical details of the transition from Java to Flash: http://blog.sharendipity.com/moving-to-flash-part-4 (has links to the other parts, too)

Unfortunately the J2AS3 utility (which attempts to automatically port code) doesn't actually seem to be available - the download links are all broken.  So I couldn't see how well it works.  If it's anything like other automatic porting tools I've seen, it doesn't do much more than a literal source-level translation, which means there's a lot of patching up that needs to happen after the fact (for any sort of advanced syntax tricks as well as for any and all library calls).  I'm not sure, though, it's possible I'm underestimating the utility - the fact that the website is down probably doesn't bode well for the utility receiving much development love, though!
Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #42 - Posted 2008-11-10 22:51:40 »

Actually, out of roughly 60.000 hits on that Applet-page, and knowing that 50% of the times the applet could not 'ring home', we only got 1 complaint that it failed to load.

I once implemented a similar logging system at my gamesportal. From the stats I gathered ~ 75-80% of the users could play without the jvm bugging them. But this higher success rate could be explained because all the applets are jre 1.1 compatible. The userbase consist mainly from casualgamers, so should be pretty representative. I also received little complaint about games not working, while the logs tell something different, I guess people just dont bother (and probably leave forever Wink )

It hurts to say this, but if I where to develop online *casual* games again, I'd probably go with flash... Luckily Bruno and I have some cool game prototypes cooking to demonstrate the (potential) power of java applet games Wink

EDIT: 75-80% of the people having a JVM installed that is... I didnt log the people without a JVM

<a href="http://www.dzzd.net">3DzzD!</a>
<a href="http://www.arcazoid.com">Arcazoid!</a>
Offline Mr. Gol

Medals: 1

« Reply #43 - Posted 2008-11-15 13:44:59 »

Unfortunately the J2AS3 utility (which attempts to automatically port code) doesn't actually seem to be available - the download links are all broken.  So I couldn't see how well it works.  If it's anything like other automatic porting tools I've seen, it doesn't do much more than a literal source-level translation, which means there's a lot of patching up that needs to happen after the fact (for any sort of advanced syntax tricks as well as for any and all library calls).  I'm not sure, though, it's possible I'm underestimating the utility - the fact that the website is down probably doesn't bode well for the utility receiving much development love, though!

Well, even literal conversion is difficult. There are some key differences in AS3, such as having no abstract classes, private constructors, or multiple threads. The language itself is quite nice IMO, but it's too different from Java to justify a straight and painless conversion.
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 50

I always win!

« Reply #44 - Posted 2008-11-21 00:52:00 »

Recently i had to deal with a business application that used a very simple applet, and guess what, the applet didn't work under Java 1.4 (it should have). It just presented a blank area. After the client upgraded to Java 1.6 the applet worked. I guess its the same situation with Java applet games. "It just doesn't work". No popup to upgrade to newest Java, no automatic plugin download, "It just doesn't work". I think that's the biggest problem. Oh, and the security popup. And the startup time of the applet. And the user shouldn't even know he is interacting with a Java applet.

This is a very important topic.

I have had the same experience.

My sister just got a new laptop, and she's using it for her school. So she's trying to use this school web system to submit her assignments, but it doesn't work! My sister calls me and needs my help, so I drive to her place and try to fix it. Guess what, the school web system uses some Java Applets that enable users to upload files.

My sister is not very computer savvy, what she failed in doing was approving all those kazillions of dialogs about security and trust that popped up to allow her to run that Java Applet. She had just closed them before or minimized, not knowing what they were for.
Even I was startled at learning how complex this was. It was on Windows Vista, and the whole screen is dimmed down and this dialog appears like a virus is trying to take over your system. Scary, complex and time-consuming.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #45 - Posted 2008-11-21 10:04:54 »

My sister is not very computer savvy, what she failed in doing was approving all those kazillions of dialogs about security and trust that popped up to allow her to run that Java Applet. She had just closed them before or minimized, not knowing what they were for.
Even I was startled at learning how complex this was. It was on Windows Vista, and the whole screen is dimmed down and this dialog appears like a virus is trying to take over your system. Scary, complex and time-consuming.

<sarcasm>Yeah, maybe we should just get rid of the sandbox and let any applet do whatever it wants, like scanning your drives for creditcard numbers or turning on your webcam and publishing it on the internet. That should get rid of that nasty security dialog just fine.</sarcasm>  Tongue

Seriously though, there's something wrong about designing a website with a kazillion security-dialog-popping-up applets. IMHO that's not really the fault of applets or security dialogs, it's the fault of whoever designed the website to work like that.

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #46 - Posted 2008-11-21 10:39:52 »

It was on Windows Vista, and the whole screen is dimmed down and this dialog appears like a virus is trying to take over your system. Scary, complex and time-consuming.
Vista! but at least it supports directX10   Tongue

Java already has its own security certificate prompt, it sux that the internet browser also gets in the applets way.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 369
Projects: 3

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #47 - Posted 2008-11-21 11:53:07 »

I have a feeling that Java's security is rather poorly implemented from a user's perspective these days. To be perfectly honest I think the security should come solely from the OS and browser these days, presenting the user with a consistent approach to security on their platform of choice. Java's built-in security should only be called upon for standalone Java applications that wish to download remote code and put up a cross-platform security dialog, eg. a Java browser.

Cas Smiley

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

Medals: 10

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #48 - Posted 2008-11-22 12:53:33 »

I have a feeling that Java's security is rather poorly implemented from a user's perspective these days. To be perfectly honest I think the security should come solely from the OS and browser these days, presenting the user with a consistent approach to security on their platform of choice. Java's built-in security should only be called upon for standalone Java applications that wish to download remote code and put up a cross-platform security dialog, eg. a Java browser.

Cas Smiley

I think what your saying would come across as alot cleaner. But I think with things like JNLP it would be annoying to try get the end user to allow restricted access to ports and such for online gaming (by going through the OS just for java gaming, the disabling after use) . I think thats really the one reason I really like the current certificate setup in Java.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #49 - Posted 2008-11-22 13:54:34 »

Cas Smiley
I think better OS support (particularly in presending dialogs to the user) would go a long way. What with each different browser, anti-virus, firewall, webstart etc. presenting an entirely different security dialog to the user it's not surprising that users get confused.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (15 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (29 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (41 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (38 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (72 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (48 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org