Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (568)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  3D Off-Road Racing Game (web applet 1.1 compatible)  (Read 9466 times)
Offline ben

Projects: 1

« Posted 2008-10-10 15:00:51 »

<a href="http://www.JavaGamePlay.com/rally_demo"> Click Here To Play </a>  (Please note this version may be somewhat difficult since each race is only 1 lap long).

If you find the above version too difficult, please try <a href="http://www.JavaGamePlay.com/offroadrally/rally.html"> this </a> more 'normal' version (each race is 3 laps long making it significantly easier to finish the race in a better position.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ben.
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #1 - Posted 2008-10-10 17:33:57 »

If it's 1.1 compatible, why doesn't it work with 1.5 (Bad version number in .class file)?

Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2008-10-10 18:24:04 »

That looks very professional  Grin

What are your future plans with it?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline DzzD
« Reply #3 - Posted 2008-10-10 18:42:32 »

very cool, as other of your works, I found that you program with a real nice game feeling

I think it needs a little bit of tweaking here and there (particularly collision detection and response), etc...
they are quiet nice yet, making real smart collision is hard to achieve....

Offline SimonH
« Reply #4 - Posted 2008-10-10 18:56:10 »

Very polished! No problems at all. I could have done with a faster car though...

People make games and games make people
Offline ben

« Reply #5 - Posted 2008-10-10 19:34:52 »

If it's 1.1 compatible, why doesn't it work with 1.5 (Bad version number in .class file)?

I am very sorry about that, I may have compiled this with the wrong JDK version. I have uploaded new class files, let me know if this fixes it for you.
Offline ben

« Reply #6 - Posted 2008-10-10 19:44:25 »

very cool, as other of your works, I found that you program with a real nice game feeling
they are quiet nice yet, making real smart collision is hard to achieve....

Thanks for the kind words.

I have to say that I was very inspired by your racing car applet, the physics feel very authentic indeed, and it has a very fun feel to it, I probably spent too much time playing it, when I should have been working  Wink I am looking forward to seeing you develop it further.
Offline ben

« Reply #7 - Posted 2008-10-10 19:48:15 »

Very polished! No problems at all. I could have done with a faster car though...

Thanks SimonH, I am glad it ran well for you.

About wanting a faster car, was the game very difficult for you? It's hard for me to judge the difficulty anymore.
Offline SimonH
« Reply #8 - Posted 2008-10-10 19:58:20 »

About wanting a faster car, was the game very difficult for you? It's hard for me to judge the difficulty anymore.
It's way too hard for me! I always came last...  Sad
Even at full speed the other cars seem to pull ahead of me.

Offline ben

« Reply #9 - Posted 2008-10-10 20:15:49 »

That looks very professional  Grin

What are your future plans with it?

Thanks.

As for future plans, most immediately, I am going to do some server side stuff for recording people's race times, scores etc... I will also continue to further develop the underlying car handling mechanics engine, for future car/driving related games. I was also maybe thinking of trying to sell a downloadable version of the game (with more cars and tracks).
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ben

« Reply #10 - Posted 2008-10-10 20:41:31 »

It's way too hard for me! I always came last...  Sad
Even at full speed the other cars seem to pull ahead of me.

Maybe you need a little more practice?

The AI car's have exactly the same characteristics as the player car (speed, acceleration, handling) etc... The way to beat them is through your driving technique, and I guess being familiar with the courses helps too. Also, stay on the track (dirt road) as much as possible, otherwise your speed, acceleration, and handling are adversely affected.

Having said all that, if enough people say that it is too hard, I may have to tweak it a bit.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #11 - Posted 2008-10-11 08:35:39 »

The games becomes frozen 2 seconds after the start of the party and I get this in the Java console:

network: Enregistrer l'URL http://www.javagameplay.com/rally_demo/0/m/t/3 dans le fichier /home/julien/.java/deployment/cache/6.0/19/763b4213-75e4ac1a-temp
basic: Image chargée : http://www.javagameplay.com/rally_demo/0/t/t/f/3
[ Sat Oct 11 10:32:47 CEST 2008 ] - ERROR: A texture with the name 'TRACK3.JPG' has been declared twice!
basic: Image chargée : http://www.javagameplay.com/rally_demo/0/t/t/fr/3

I tried the 2 first races, I got the same problem.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #12 - Posted 2008-10-11 10:41:24 »

I am very sorry about that, I may have compiled this with the wrong JDK version. I have uploaded new class files, let me know if this fixes it for you.
Works fine on that EEEPC with Java 1.5 now. Except that i can't steer, because the silly Firefox captures the key events even when the applet has focus and i'm scrolling the web page instead of steering the car with the CRSR-keys. But that's a Firefox/Java-Plugin-problem and not your fault IMHO.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #13 - Posted 2008-10-12 08:43:41 »

Hi!

I use Mandriva Linux 2007 and the game works fine only without sound, I've finally found a workaround.

Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2008-10-12 10:40:01 »

You just gotta admire anything 3d done in java 1.1 compatible format Roll Eyes

It plays like a solid game, only comment I have is that turning felt a bit unnatural for me. The change in angle is more than I'd expect it to turn when I press left or right.

<a href="http://www.dzzd.net">3DzzD!</a>
<a href="http://www.arcazoid.com">Arcazoid!</a>
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #15 - Posted 2008-10-12 11:14:57 »

It is a very nice game. Worked well on my computer and at uni.
Just a question what engine you use or is it coded from scratch?

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline gouessej
« Reply #16 - Posted 2008-10-12 11:20:24 »

It uses JPCT, the cars are 3DS models as far as I know. Ben, I hope I'm not wrong. I have found this information by having the game crashed lol  Grin

Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #17 - Posted 2008-10-12 12:58:42 »

Ah so I was right, I thought it looked like the software renderer from jpct.
Would be great if there was also a option to switch to hardware mode. Anyway keep up the good work.

I did find the AI very hard myself, also would be great if you ram them, they lose control  Smiley
Did had a few problems with sound messing up a little at the start of a race.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline ben

« Reply #18 - Posted 2008-10-12 23:08:59 »

Hi!

I use Mandriva Linux 2007 and the game works fine only without sound, I've finally found a workaround.

Glad you got it working, it used to run fine for me under Fedora, but admittedly it was has been a while since I last tested under any version of Linux. I will check this again when I get a chance.
Offline ben

« Reply #19 - Posted 2008-10-12 23:16:42 »

As gouessej correctly stated it uses jpct. When I first started this project, a long time ago, I was originally using anfy3d, but I wasn't happy with my car handling mechanics. I put it on hold for a long time, and worked on some other stuff. Many months later I picked it up again, re-wrote a lot of it, and converted it to use jpct.
Offline ben

« Reply #20 - Posted 2008-10-12 23:27:21 »

Would be great if there was also a option to switch to hardware mode. Anyway keep up the good work.

I did find the AI very hard myself, also would be great if you ram them, they lose control  Smiley

Thanks. Yes, it runs quite nicely under hardware acceleration as an application (lwjgl), but I hadn't actually considered a hardware rendered version in the applet, as I am not really fond of signed applets.
Offline ben

« Reply #21 - Posted 2008-10-12 23:36:26 »

Thanks.

Yes, it seems a couple of people are finding it a little difficult. If anyone else finds it too difficult please let me know, as I am now thinking I need to make it (at least the first level or 2) a little bit easier.

Ironically, I originally thought that I wouldn't be able to make the AI challenging enough without major 'cheating'...
Offline SimonH
« Reply #22 - Posted 2008-10-13 00:52:02 »

I am not really fond of signed applets.
Hooray! A fellow believer! I thought it was just me & DzzD...

BTW It is too hard - you're just too used to playing it! Put in a devtweak so (say) < & > change the car's acceleration, then I can find a good start point. On the first game I want to come maybe 3rd or 4th so I'll want try again.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #23 - Posted 2008-10-13 05:26:59 »

People don't always flee when they see a signed program. More than 600 people added a signed Java game using JOGL (that I don't need to say the name Cheesy) into their bookmarks.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #24 - Posted 2008-10-13 06:13:31 »

Woohoo! I got last!

I'm awesome.

PS - Fun game.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline DzzD
« Reply #25 - Posted 2008-10-13 10:40:31 »

Quote from: SimonH on October 12, 2008, 05:52:02 PM

People don't always flee when they see a signed program. More than 600 people added a signed Java game using JOGL (that I don't need to say the name ) into their bookmarks.
just a parentesis
(

Java Web (either Applet & Webstart) deployment is already very very not user friendly and boring in comparaison to flash smoothness, so adding signed stuff and using lastest JRE are two things that make an Applet completly unfriendly...

I rarely launch a signed Applet myself (when I dont know the author) but I know that nor everybody is a programmer. I know someone that have used such Applet as a door (trojan horse)  to hack the computer of a webmaster and stole all of its passwords....  it is a kid game to do that...

A good way is to start something unsigned that show a bit of the game and switch signed later this way user have an idea of the program quality and than will decide to accept certificat easier if he have already a good impression.
)

Thanks for the kind words.

I have to say that I was very inspired by your racing car applet, the physics feel very authentic indeed, and it has a very fun feel to it, I probably spent too much time playing it, when I should have been working   I am looking forward to seeing you develop it further.

hehe tks, be sure that we are still working on it!! and on at least three more projects... I just finished a new race, maybe I will put it online this week. about your game I found it very diffcult to win too, I never finished in third pos Sad, but if car have same speed and same feature I guess that with some practive I will win my first race soon, but maybe making the first race easier than the next one will help ?

Offline ben

« Reply #26 - Posted 2008-10-14 11:38:32 »

LOL

BTW It is too hard - you're just too used to playing it! Put in a devtweak so (say) < & > change the car's acceleration, then I can find a good start point. On the first game I want to come maybe 3rd or 4th so I'll want try again.

You are right, I think I am just too used to playing it.

However, I have just realized something crucial with regards to difficulty. The version I have linked to from here, is in fact a demo, where each race is exactly 1 lap long. This makes the game much more difficult, because the player only has a very limited time to catch up with the AI and overtake them. This is something that even I can only manage to about half of the time (when the race length is 1 lap).

If I could ask some of you to try a more 'normal' version of the game <a href="http://www.JavaGamePlay.com/offroadrally/rally.html> here </a> you will probably find it significantly easier (race length is 3 laps). If people are still finding it too difficult, then I will certainly make it easier, as you have suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ben

« Reply #27 - Posted 2008-10-14 11:46:59 »

Java Web (either Applet & Webstart) deployment is already very very not user friendly and boring in comparaison to flash smoothness, so adding signed stuff and using lastest JRE are two things that make an Applet completly unfriendly...

Agreed.

I rarely launch a signed Applet myself (when I dont know the author) but I know that nor everybody is a programmer. I know someone that have used such Applet as a door (trojan horse)  to hack the computer of a webmaster and stole all of its passwords....  it is a kid game to do that...

A good way is to start something unsigned that show a bit of the game and switch signed later this way user have an idea of the program quality and than will decide to accept certificat easier if he have already a good impression.
)

I am quite paranoid about launching signed applets from unknown sources, which is probably one of the main reasons I don;t use them.

However, your idea of showing something 'high quality' and giving them user the choice to later switch to signed/hardware mode, is a good point, one which I had not considered before.

hehe tks, be sure that we are still working on it!! and on at least three more projects... I just finished a new race, maybe I will put it online this week. about your game I found it very diffcult to win too, I never finished in third pos Sad, but if car have same speed and same feature I guess that with some practive I will win my first race soon, but maybe making the first race easier than the next one will help ?

I can't wait to play your next version, particularly while I am in still in a racing game dev frame of mind.

In terms of the difficulty of my game, please see my previous post, about the 'normal' version of the game, it should be easier.

Ben.
Offline DzzD
« Reply #28 - Posted 2008-10-14 18:12:54 »

In terms of the difficulty of my game, please see my previous post, about the 'normal' version of the game, it should be easier.

Ben.
I have given it another try and I am still unable to win even one opponent Sad, but maybe there is an issue that could explain, I have the strange felling of keys lag sometime, that make the car continue to turn even when i stop pressing right/left keys. I will try it on another computer if I can.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #29 - Posted 2008-10-14 18:13:35 »

Wow, impressive!
I found the controls and physics to feel quite natural, I think the build up of difficulty can be just built into the track layouts.
As an aside, I also keep being impressed by jPCT's performance.

As for signed applets, I never really understood the big deal about them. I think if the presentation of the website looks trustworthy enough, and if the game is really worth it and has some good publicity, there's no difference with a locally installed game except that an applet is much easier for the user.

If you really want to compare java with flash, then don't try to emulate a flash game in java but make the most of java, for example by using OpenGL! Nothing flash will compare to that, and it will make the user much more forgiving towards clicking one more dialog and forget about flash in an instant.

But whatever you choose, I'll keep an eye on your game!

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (39 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (30 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (20 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (46 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (28 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (42 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (51 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (54 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org