Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (547)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Robombs - multiplayer bombing fun  (Read 18697 times)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #30 - Posted 2008-09-24 01:39:00 »

I see. That's because it wouldn't be bomberman like if you change this. I thought about it, but it just won't work for this kind of game.
Well bomberman didn't have giant rooms either - everything was a corridor. It's just relatively impossible to blow someone up in a big room unless you have bomb kicking.

Also I discovered a bug - I had like 20 bots in and two of them somehow got stuck in the wall.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #31 - Posted 2008-09-24 03:15:11 »

Worked great for me, windows vista with java 6 update 10. The game's very good - I've never played bomberman but I quickly picked up how to play without reading anything. I see that it's all about trapping the poor martian in a corner with a bomb  Cry

The view and graphics are very good. I reckon you could do more tricky things with the camera though, like zooming in to the player's current position from really high up when the level starts, so the player gets a feel for where everyone/thing is. By the way, what did you do the menus with?

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #32 - Posted 2008-09-24 19:50:28 »

Also I discovered a bug - I had like 20 bots in and two of them somehow got stuck in the wall.
20 bots is quite a lot of them. If all regular spawn points in a level are occupied, the bots spawn at random positions. Due to some latency, it may happen that they spawn very close to each other. Then inaccuracies in the collision detection may add up and finally, someone ends up in a wall. I think i'll simply live with that...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #33 - Posted 2008-09-24 19:53:43 »

By the way, what did you do the menus with?
By blitting a backdrop and rendering text into that. It's done with a very small GUI-"framework" that i've written in two hours or so. Nothing special at all.

Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #34 - Posted 2008-09-24 21:49:30 »

Ah bomberman, one of my favorites!

Unfortunatly I couldn't join a server, so I played singleplayer. I love the waterpistol idea! The game feels very solid and plays very fluid except for some minor hickups that occur once every while (could it be the GC? I tried both lwjgl versions)... One thing I noticed myself bumping into walls often because of the perspective and 360 degrees of freedom... maybe you could have the player slide along the wall as long as he presses forward?

Test systemspecs:
JRE: 1.6.0_10-beta
CPU: 2.2Ghz dualcore
GPU: Geforce 8600GT

<a href="http://www.dzzd.net">3DzzD!</a>
<a href="http://www.arcazoid.com">Arcazoid!</a>
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 43

« Reply #35 - Posted 2008-09-24 21:52:28 »

I see. That's because it wouldn't be bomberman like if you change this. I thought about it, but it just won't work for this kind of game.

Try to make a projection against the obstacles with the explosion in the center of the current cell. This way you still have the bomberman style gameplay and nice projected explosion volumes. You could then fill the volume with particles. This might look very effectful then:)

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #36 - Posted 2008-09-24 23:06:11 »

Wow, this is very nicely implemented. Worked without a problem  Grin

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #37 - Posted 2008-09-25 08:24:48 »

Unfortunatly I couldn't join a server, so I played singleplayer.
The server browser doesn't access the internet, it's LAN only. If you want to connect to someone's server on the internet, you have to enter the IP by hand. But i've never tested this. The netcode contains some optimizations for internet play, but i've never really tried how good or bad that will work. It wasn't my main focus, i've written it all with LAN play in mind.

The game feels very solid and plays very fluid except for some minor hickups that occur once every while (could it be the GC? I tried both lwjgl versions)
GPU: Geforce 8600GT
Could be the shadow mapping as well. I've noticed that kind of hick-ups on some lower end NVidia based cards when setting the shadows to high. A 8600 defaults to 4xAA and shadows high (maybe that's bit too much for it...). Maybe lowering the shadows in the options-dialog in the startup-window by one notch helps...on a 7600, it did.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #38 - Posted 2008-09-25 13:54:32 »

Could be the shadow mapping as well. I've noticed that kind of hick-ups on some lower end NVidia based cards when setting the shadows to high.
I notice very brief slowdowns whereas I use ATI cards with no shadow map. I don't think it comes from the garbage collector except if your engine produces lots of garbage. I don't notice this kind of slowdown on the demos of JPCT.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #39 - Posted 2008-09-25 18:18:06 »

I don't think it comes from the garbage collector except if your engine produces lots of garbage.
The engine is pretty clean, but the game itself creates some garbage or course. Even when running in single player mode, it's a client/server-based architecture, i.e. data is constantly wrapped into transport containers, sent over the net and unwrapped again. That creates some garbage, but it shouldn't be that much. There are some critical paths left that i can optimize a little to reduce the amount of short lived objects easily. I'll do that for the next release. Anyway, it's more likely that the small hickups come from the network synchronization than from the gc.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #40 - Posted 2008-09-25 18:56:17 »

The engine is pretty clean, but the game itself creates some garbage or course. Even when running in single player mode, it's a client/server-based architecture, i.e. data is constantly wrapped into transport containers, sent over the net and unwrapped again. That creates some garbage, but it shouldn't be that much. There are some critical paths left that i can optimize a little to reduce the amount of short lived objects easily. I'll do that for the next release. Anyway, it's more likely that the small hickups come from the network synchronization than from the gc.
Ok. Nevertheless, you can use the low pause garbage collector and set a maximum length of pause if you want to avoid the garbage collector to bother the player too much. What kind of client/server architecture do you use? Do you respect the design pattern MVC? Does your server perform some computations and some important operations or is it used only to receive and forward the messages to the clients?

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #41 - Posted 2008-09-25 19:32:49 »

What kind of client/server architecture do you use? Do you respect the design pattern MVC?
It's basically MVC but V and M intermix in the collision detection, because i'm using the collision detection routines of the engine which work on 3D models, i.e. on the views (or on a simplified form of them). However, the networking parts don't know anything about the views.

Does your server perform some computations and some important operations or is it used only to receive and forward the messages to the clients?
More the latter. While this violates the "never trust the client"-principle, it's a reasonable approach for this kind of game IMHO. The server does some rough sanity checks and wraps/splits some client events into others, but bascially, it just forwards or broadcasts messages. However, it controls all game events, i.e. if a client flags that he has collected an item or ran into an explosion, the server takes this event, processes and forwards it and only then all clients react on the event (including the client that has triggered the event). Or in other words: If the client dies and the server doesn't forward this event, the client doesn't die... Wink

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #42 - Posted 2008-09-25 20:19:00 »

I've updated the game and added some minor changes:

• Added an "add all" button to add all maps at once
  • Added two new levels and one new texture set
  • Added numpad controls for those who prefer it that way
  • Added taunts (keys 1-0)
  • Fixed the shadows being too bright in dark areas
  • Improved garbage avoidance somewhat

Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #43 - Posted 2008-09-25 22:17:40 »

Could be the shadow mapping as well. I've noticed that kind of hick-ups on some lower end NVidia based cards when setting the shadows to high. A 8600 defaults to 4xAA and shadows high (maybe that's bit too much for it...). Maybe lowering the shadows in the options-dialog in the startup-window by one notch helps...on a 7600, it did.

Well I've tested the game on an older system (singlecore,7600GT) and it ran very fluid at full quality. Maybe its just the nvidia drivers...
To show what I mean I've captured a little movie of the game running on my laptop with the lowest settings, but it still shows the stuttering:
http://dev.arcazoid.com/matthijs/bomberman.avi

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #44 - Posted 2008-09-26 06:27:50 »

.... but it still shows the stuttering:
Could be a couple of things:

• Some driver issue (possible, but unlikely IMHO)…not much i can do about that
  • Something runs in the background and interrupts the game from time to time…maybe you can check that out
  • It's a timing/speed issue with the notebooks CPU changing power saving states all the time…it should be possible to detect this by pressing 't' once when in game. This will disable the throttling that the game uses and will fully utilize one core, the framerate should exceed the 75fps that it was before. That should make the CPU run at full speed all the time. If the stuttering persists, it's most likely not the problem.
  • It's a sound issue. I'll create a version that allows you to switch to JavaSound and disable the sound completely to see if that helps.

Thanks for your efforts. I really appreciate them.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #45 - Posted 2008-10-09 20:46:25 »

An updated version (still here: jpct.de/robombs/robombs.jnlp) with some changes:

Game play changes
  • Kicking a bomb now lets you jump backwards...like a recoil
  • In addition to WASD and CRSR, the Numpad can be used too now
  • Two new levels (based on Paradroid and The Bard's Tale)

Corrected issues
  • In some cases, starting a single player game resulted in an infinite loop. This is fixed now.
  • Corrected some minor sound flaws (wrong positions of some sounds).
  • An unavailable server port now stops the single player game from being started.

Potentially corrected issues (i couldn't really reproduce them, so i tried to fix them by wild guessing...):
  • In a mulitplayer game with bots, it could happen that a player spawns close to a bot. This shouldn't happen any more.
  • In a mulitplayer game, the server sometimes didn't recognize a client clicking "ready". This should be fixed now.
  • At least on one system (Linux), the start frame had a size of 5*5 pixel instead of the correct one. I hope that this is fixed now.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #46 - Posted 2008-10-09 21:06:06 »

At least on one system (Linux), the start frame had a size of 5*5 pixel instead of the correct one. I hope that this is fixed now.
It is not fixed but it works fine the second time.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #47 - Posted 2008-10-09 21:20:58 »

It is not fixed but it works fine the second time.
I hate Swing...it's a simple JFrame and i'm setting all kinds of sizes now. What am i supposed to do to please the mighty god of Swing to open it correctly!? I guess it has something to do with the fact that i'm making it visible before setting the size, but i have to, because i need the insets which are all 0 before making it visible. I've uploaded another version. Maybe that one works better? It may cut off the lower part of the buttons if it still fails, but that's better than 5*5 pixel...

Thank you for testing!

Offline gouessej
« Reply #48 - Posted 2008-10-09 21:24:32 »

Thank you for testing!
Grin Grin Grin it works!!!!

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #49 - Posted 2008-10-09 21:46:33 »

Grin Grin Grin it works!!!!
I'm glad to hear that. I've tested it on two Linux machines myself (including one very old that used to collect dust under my desk) and it worked on both of them, so i assume that it's fine now.

Offline DzzD
« Reply #50 - Posted 2008-10-10 00:08:27 »

first time I have tried it, it was running pretty slow but it seems that it run fine now, (maybe It was related to my computer or my OS was tired, dont know)

so run fine here on : XP-PRO/ATI X800/1GRAM/AMD-1.6GHZ/Java 1.6-0-07

cool game, I just found the camera rotation a little too slow making things hard to faslty turn.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #51 - Posted 2008-10-10 05:52:09 »

cool game, I just found the camera rotation a little too slow making things hard to faslty turn.
You can adjust this in the start window after clicking on "show options".

Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #52 - Posted 2008-10-12 11:52:11 »

Could be a couple of things:

• Some driver issue (possible, but unlikely IMHO)…not much i can do about that
  • Something runs in the background and interrupts the game from time to time…maybe you can check that out
  • It's a timing/speed issue with the notebooks CPU changing power saving states all the time…it should be possible to detect this by pressing 't' once when in game. This will disable the throttling that the game uses and will fully utilize one core, the framerate should exceed the 75fps that it was before. That should make the CPU run at full speed all the time. If the stuttering persists, it's most likely not the problem.
  • It's a sound issue. I'll create a version that allows you to switch to JavaSound and disable the sound completely to see if that helps.

Thanks for your efforts. I really appreciate them.

Well I gave the new version another try, but the stuttering was still there. While I was at it I updated the nvidia driver and that did the trick, runs like a charm now at full res & options (wouldn't expect anything else from a rig that can even play crysis at medium/high settings Wink)! The previous driver was probably a bit crippled (as Nvidia doesnt support these mobile drivers themselves, you have to get them through you notebook manufacturer).

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #53 - Posted 2008-10-12 19:54:37 »

While I was at it I updated the nvidia driver and that did the trick, runs like a charm now at full res & options (wouldn't expect anything else from a rig that can even play crysis at medium/high settings Wink)!
I haven't expected it to be a driver problem, but i'm glad that it's solved now... Grin Grin

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #54 - Posted 2008-10-12 21:09:36 »

I've made a website for it: http://jpct.de/robombs.game/

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #55 - Posted 2008-10-28 22:46:56 »

Uploaded a silent update (no new version number for that) with some minor changes:

• Bots should no longer spawn inside of or close to human players in some cases
  • Improved the bots AI slightly (but very slightly)
  • Improved shadow rendering especially on ATI R200 and R300 chip sets

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #56 - Posted 2008-12-16 20:24:30 »

Updated the game to version 1.00. This version improves internet play somewhat and fixes some minor flaws. I've also released the sources. Get everything here: http://jpct.de/robombs.game/download/

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #57 - Posted 2009-06-27 19:52:30 »

I've uploaded a new webstart version that should work on 64bit Windows/Java. At least it worked fine using the Windows 7 RC. It can be found here: http://jpct.de/robombs/robombs.jnlp

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #58 - Posted 2009-06-27 19:59:00 »

doesn't work on linux 64 bit, jnlp seems to be capped to only work on linux 32 bit

<resources os="Linux" arch="i386">
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #59 - Posted 2009-06-27 20:27:07 »

doesn't work on linux 64 bit, jnlp seems to be capped to only work on linux 32 bit

<resources os="Linux" arch="i386">

Damn. Why does all this 64 bit s**t requires special treatment? well, any clue on what i have to type instead to make it work?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print