Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Graviroids  (Read 10736 times)
Offline lukecrashtestgames

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Posted 2008-09-16 05:18:13 »

A simple fun re-imagining of the arcade classic with gravity added.

Over 1000 asteroids on the later levels... Each with collision detection and its own gravity.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jY2F_HqlPlo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jY2F_HqlPlo</a>

Have fun!

[Click Here to Play]
Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #1 - Posted 2008-09-16 08:44:19 »

I found it much enjoyable then any other version of asteroids I've played. If you make it able to work on Java 5 then Ill play it at uni too Smiley
But I found it did get a little repetitive still, if you going for something a little different I suggest adding more too it.
For example adding a shield power up, different types of weapons. Maybe on some stages you need to protect something other then yourself like a planet or another ship. Could also add another type of asteroid like a iron core one, or have some other dangerous objects like a black hole  Wink

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 12
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #2 - Posted 2008-09-16 09:49:31 »

Very nice! Extremely polished, I love the text transition effects (where the lines extend and vanish, kinda).

The physics feel solid and act mostly the way you'd expect them to (although sometimes the wrap-around kinda confused me (I bet that was a pain to code, btw)). Once or twice, I got stuck in the middle of a large cluster of asteroids, seemingly getting sucked in as soon as I hit it, but shooting my way out was easy enough.

It does get a bit repetitive, yes, and with 9 lives, you can go on playing for a long time.
I only got two power-ups, rapid fire and spread shot (plus health once or thrice), and found them enjoyable. Rapid fire has a tendency to speed asteroids up to insane speeds, though. Wink

If I may suggest features: (please ignore if the game is already complete)

Split the game up into three or four "worlds" of 8 levels each. Each world has a unique color, and perhaps different configurations of asteroids (plus world 2 is harder than world 1 and so on).
Have a mini boss on level 4, and a final boss on level 8, each unique for each world.
Add a scoring system, with combo bonuses and score power-ups.

Play Minecraft!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 9

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2008-09-16 09:53:37 »

Very much fun  Grin

Hey, you forgot to add the UFO!!!

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #4 - Posted 2008-09-16 13:06:22 »

It is a pretty game with a bit elaborated physic, good work.

Offline xinaesthetic

Medals: 1

« Reply #5 - Posted 2008-09-16 16:18:37 »

Good stuff.  Maybe the difficulty curve could be a bit steeper; although I liked the game from the start, it only really started getting exciting once I finally lost a life around level 20...  Also, I guess I must've hit something by mistake, but the game started from the beginning with sfx and music disabled before I finished my go.  Sad
Offline Morre

JGO Knight

Medals: 2
Projects: 10

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2008-09-19 00:23:15 »

Asteroids as it should be! Great stuff!
Got to level 41 on my first try Smiley

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2008-09-20 13:10:04 »

Really impressive!

It looks great and it's fun to play.

If I had to pick flaws (and, well, it's no fun if I don't) then they'd be the following:
  • Shooting big clusters of rocks is great fun, but shooting single rocks isn't.  So each level starts off good but ends up boring.  To be fair though, that's a problem with most Asteroids games.
  • There's so much moving around on screen that it never really feels like it's my fault when I get hit.  The game lends itself much more to shooting than dodging.  Odd suggestion, but I wonder whether it would perhaps work better if the player didn't have a ship -- for example, if it was more like a shooting gallery than a shoot'em up.
  • You're given way too many lives.  I had to quit the game before I died because I didn't think my laptop battery would last till the end!

Keep up the good work!
Simon

Offline DzzD
« Reply #8 - Posted 2008-09-20 18:59:41 »

I loveed playing the original one, and this one is really well done so I love it too.

one notice, I found the ship reaction a little too slow ?

Senior Newbie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2008-09-21 06:05:57 »

Hi - Thanks for all the feedback! Its always nice to here when people appreciate your work.

- I still considering about doing java 5 support, it should need many changes but doing all the QA again for java 5 will be some effort. Its a pitty that java 6 has been out so long but still not supported widly enough.

- The critizm is fair. The are a lot of lives and it takes a long time before the game gets challenging. You kind of have to get past level 20 before things start to get interesting.

- The game is complete but I'm looking to port to other platforms at some point and I want to do a sequal so hopefully I can take some of this feedback and used it in the future. I also want to do a couple other different games using the same graphics style.

- There is an issue on slower machines with Key Lag. I think thats why the ship reaction may be a little slow for some. If anybody has any good sugestions on the best way to deal with this, please let me know. Maybe I should ask in the appropriate sub forum.

- Sound gets automatically turned off if sounds processing is going to slowly. I might look into this a bit more and see if I can get sound to work on more machines.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2008-09-21 11:24:26 »

Very polished game, I like the graphics style very much!

I agree with the others that it felt a little bit long stretched, as Markus also pointed out  it might be very cool to have a little bit more variation? For example different asteroid  types, other enemies, colors etc. I dont know if you're familiar with Piranha? That was an asteroids game you could play with two players on one screen/keyboard, besides it being great fun to play coop with a friend, it had shops in between levels where you could upgrade your weapons with money you could collect from shooting asteroids (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/piranha/screenshots/gameShotId,3865/)... Those features gave the game excelent replay value!

PS: Did you write your own softsynth for the music?

<a href="http://www.dzzd.net">3DzzD!</a>
<a href="http://www.arcazoid.com">Arcazoid!</a>
Offline irrisor

« Reply #11 - Posted 2008-09-21 11:46:34 »

Very nice game. Well done, lukecrashtestgames.
Offline Wildern

« Reply #12 - Posted 2008-09-21 22:22:43 »

Love it.
One thing I kept hoping would happen when large clusters formed... I wanted to see the asteroids in the center compress together into tougher asteroids with more gravity.

Senior Newbie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2008-09-22 04:08:35 »

I did write my own soft synth for the game. Actuall, the biggest part of the development time was taken up doing the sound and the sound engine. I decided to take my time to learn about sound in detail. I became really obsessed researching and experimenting with gutair strings, distortion, flangers, wah wah and trying to invent new ways of doing reverb. I wasted a lot of time but its good, I have a much better appreciation for sound in games now.

I was thinking a bit about grabbing one of the compressed sound players available for java but I was a bit nevous about them. Anyway, now I am happy to have a 45k downloadable java game with very fast loading times.
Offline xinaesthetic

Medals: 1

« Reply #14 - Posted 2008-09-22 11:34:28 »

I did write my own soft synth for the game.
Cool, there should be more games with audio synthesis IMHO.
Offline Ranger
« Reply #15 - Posted 2008-10-20 00:52:52 »

Brilliant looking and fun game.  Well done!  Just one thing.  On my computer (Dell Inspiron 9400) I can't hold down Up Arrow + Left Arrow + Space at the same time (some sort of hardware limitation).  I believe the limitation exists on many keyboards, so having the fire key as Ctrl or something other then space would be better.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (55 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (53 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (66 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (49 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (66 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (90 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (151 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (246 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (204 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (211 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org