Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (589)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  ignore  |  Print  
  The Tome, The Java Game Tome is ONLINE!  (Read 28713 times)
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Posted 2008-08-07 06:41:06 »

It's finally done:
http://www.javagametome.com  Grin

Please feel free to submit your games  Cool

I tested it and it really worked! I hope you guys like it? I will probably check every minute to see if anyone added a new game submission that requires moderation  Grin

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #1 - Posted 2008-08-07 07:45:28 »

It looks awesome, but... your thumbnail functionality is totally screwed up and is making me throw my mouse. After typing in everything I get a repeated failure with the thumbnail.

I've tried every size (including a 1x1 black square), and apparently none of it is within 120x100 and 8kb. Which is really irritating, because I definitely don't want to type all that in again.

By the by, an 8kb is incredibly tiny... can't you increase it? All my thumbnails are 200x200 and at most around 20kb, which is probably the most you would need. And these are Java games we're talking about, here, so that means at maximum you're using up like 20kb x 1000 entries, which is only 20mb of memory. Can't your server handle that? Or even 100kb each, so 100mb?

So I don't have to type the longest part again...
You are a short quirky little knight who for some suicidal reason has decided that he needs to cleanse the infinite labyrinth of all evil. To do so, he needs to travel deeper and deeper, fighting stronger monsters every step of the way. Fortunately, he will find swords, shields, and potions lying on the ground, the tombstones of failed adventurers. The mazes and monsters are all randomly generated, so you can play forever!

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #2 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:09:45 »

Yeah, the database size is limited. Sorry! Nevertheless, I increased the maximum image size to 12000 bytes. I also updated the wording: the image has to be exactly 120x100 pixels. For best result try the GIF format. JPG and especially PNG tend not to compress badly.

I am aware image editing is a pain. So, if you guys need help please email me your original and I'll try to come up with something cool in the correct size. Email me at contact At javagametome Dot com. Hope that helps  Grin

You are a short quirky little knight who...
Hehe, I started to read the quote without your explanation and was like wtf is he calling me  Grin

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Nacros

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:25:54 »

Good job !

I have just submited my game. Good luck to your website.

I'm FRENCH, sorry for my bad english

Marbleous - Online multiplayer game - http://www.marbleous.org
Nacros.NET - free flash games site - http://www.nacros.net
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #4 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:30:11 »

Great! Your game is added  Grin

Offline Corvinex

Senior Devvie

Projects: 1

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:47:32 »

I also added mine, the site looks great. I like the background Smiley

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
Android: Pac-Ball
Web Applet: Virus Effect
Old Games
Offline Nacros

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:50:02 »

How rating works ?

Is there a rating for each version of the game ?

Each version improve the game and the rating could be 1.5/10 because the older version was crap.

I'm FRENCH, sorry for my bad english

Marbleous - Online multiplayer game - http://www.marbleous.org
Nacros.NET - free flash games site - http://www.nacros.net
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #7 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:54:20 »

Yeah, the rating | tricky question!

There currently is no rating for each version of the game. It's an "overall" rating. However, there is a rating showing the top games the last 28 days on the right side. That sort of solves the problem.

However, I can imaging in the future to only count the last 100 ratings for each game? Probably do some reset/purging once in a while? It's hard to find the perfect solution.

Offline Corvinex

Senior Devvie

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #8 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:57:42 »

Is there a way we can edit the game details, lol I screwed up with screen shot urls.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
Android: Pac-Ball
Web Applet: Virus Effect
Old Games
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #9 - Posted 2008-08-07 08:59:57 »

Yes, just go to your game and click on the "Submit Game News" link.

It's designed to provide game updates once in a while (pushes your game to the top), but you can obviously also use it to submit corrections  Grin

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Addictman

Senior Devvie

Medals: 3

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2008-08-07 10:05:55 »

This really looks like a good initiative! Congratulations.

I'm curious, how do you see it evolving in the future? (Or do you consider it finished, concept wise).

I've been playing games on www.kongregate.com for a while, and although not all of the games there are great, their achievement/reward/level system combined with a chat interface makes for a pretty cool experience.
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #11 - Posted 2008-08-07 10:11:03 »

I don't see it finished. It's complete for now, but there is lots of stuff that can be added.

How much time I am going to invest depends on how much people actually going to use it? I am not just talking about you developers but also players that are checking out Java games...

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56

Monkey for a head

« Reply #12 - Posted 2008-08-07 10:55:00 »

Looking pretty good! Some random comments:

- Top banner is *way* too busy. There's like 4 different font styles going on, curved text, all sorts of random icons and text and no real layout. Looks like "my first logo" photoshop job.
- Generally very busy and cluttered layout. Lots of different styles (diagonal stripes of different colours, superflous icons and images (stars, swords, bar code) and lots of dividing lines). Not very clean.
- Jokey "we will sell your email address" text isn't funny and will make people leave. You don't mess around with important text like that.
- Submit a game page gives me checkboxes for download/applet/webstart but only lets me provide one game url. I'd like to submit multiple game urls (windows download + webstart link).
- Sign up page should probably say what's valid characters for username/password (especially since space in username isn't allowed).
- Submit game page forgets the thumbnail path if the submission is incomplete for some reason.
- Still deep-linking to screenshots. I thought we already said this was a bad thing?

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline gouessej
« Reply #13 - Posted 2008-08-07 11:04:20 »

I see that you haven't re-entered the games that were in the previous version of the Java Game Tome. I don't know if it is intentional, maybe you don't have enough time to do it but on my mind, it is a bad thing as many authors authorized me to add their games into the Tome, they expect to find them here. As I don't participate to this project, I prefer not interfering with it. I will find another solution for the concerned authors if they solicit my help (contact me in private) or I may plan to contact them as soon as possible.

However, the result is impressive (even though you already know that I disagree with the principles).

Finally, please mention the existence of a previous version of the Tome in the recent news. It is unfair and not ethical to "rewrite" the story...it reminds me one of the darkest pages of the history of Europe.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #14 - Posted 2008-08-07 11:51:31 »

Looks great, although I still think the header is too large and too busy: The header says 'Java Game Tome' 7 times! I understood it the first time  Smiley

Is it possible to have your game listed under multiple categories? For example my 'Hyper Blazer' game could be seen as 'Action & Shooter' (although there's no shooting), 'Arcade & Retro' (it's roughly based on an old game) and 'Sport & Racing' (there's a racing element).

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #15 - Posted 2008-08-07 11:56:20 »

Looking pretty good! Some random comments:

- Top banner is *way* too busy. There's like 4 different font styles going on, curved text, all sorts of random icons and text and no real layout. Looks like "my first logo" photoshop job.
- Generally very busy and cluttered layout. Lots of different styles (diagonal stripes of different colours, superflous icons and images (stars, swords, bar code) and lots of dividing lines). Not very clean.
- Jokey "we will sell your email address" text isn't funny and will make people leave. You don't mess around with important text like that.
- Submit a game page gives me checkboxes for download/applet/webstart but only lets me provide one game url. I'd like to submit multiple game urls (windows download + webstart link).
- Sign up page should probably say what's valid characters for username/password (especially since space in username isn't allowed).
- Submit game page forgets the thumbnail path if the submission is incomplete for some reason.
- Still deep-linking to screenshots. I thought we already said this was a bad thing?

Excellent points, I agree 100%.

Offline DragonsRage

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2008-08-07 14:36:39 »

I didn't think it was quite this bad but I think if the white, fancy font, "Java" goes it will look a lot better because it looks jammed in there. I like the overall look, it is vibrant and colorful without looking like a 1970's music video gone wrong. I do agree with erikd that having games under multiple categories would be very useful.

Overall, I like it.  Smiley

Secrets and lies

() ()
     (O.o)
     (>.<)
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #17 - Posted 2008-08-07 15:08:59 »

Yes, looks really nice!

A bug: my website address is broken because it contains java game tome site address.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #18 - Posted 2008-08-07 15:37:43 »

The logo somehow reminds me of the yellow press. If one likes it or not is one thing, but it's way too large. On the EEEPC (800*480 resolution) it covers quite a lot of the screen without adding any value. My suggestion would be to remove the white block with the "Java" in it and put the "Java" in the line below somehow.

The layout is jumpy sometimes. When a page loads, it happens that the whole content jumps into the center (from a position maybe 10 or 20 pixels right from the center). It doesn't happen all the time, i couldn't really find a rule when it happens and when not (Firefox 3, Vista32)

And after all, this should be a site to play games, shoudn't it? So why isn't the "play"-link highlighted in some way? Usually, i don't care for home and maybe not even for the details...i just want to play. The link should be highlighted IMHO.

Offline SunshineKiller

Junior Devvie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2008-08-07 17:06:19 »

Very cool.

<b>Check out my Development Blog:</b> <a href="http://www.scottscreations.com">Scotts Creations</a> | <b>Games in Development: </b> <a href="http://mechwarfare.scottscreations.com">Mech Warfare</a> | Mech Warfare: Facebook Edition | Game Master
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #20 - Posted 2008-08-07 17:50:49 »

The thumbnail thing is still too finicky. Why not allow linking to offsite, or not having a thumbnail at all? I made an image exactly 120x100 (using Photoshop) and saved as a JPG, it was 4kb. It still wouldn't upload. When I resaved it as a GIF with 32 colors, it finally uploaded. And by the way, at least with Photoshop's compression, your image takes up less memory as a JPG unless you go 32 colors GIF.

I agree with the top logo being too big. And if you're going to verify every single game you might eventually become a very busy man. Why not have it verify automatically, then allow users to flag bad content?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #21 - Posted 2008-08-07 18:46:23 »

Thanks for all the feedback, it's noted!

Once there are enough games in there and the main bugs are fixed, I'll try to advertise it to the players. Obviously right now, there aren't many people/players visiting as of yet.

A bug: my website address is broken because it contains java game tome site address.
not sure what you mean?

Still deep-linking to screenshots. I thought we already said this was a bad thing?
I wanted to store it in DB, but not enough space. I guess it's OK if you submit the screenshot URLs for your game?

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2008-08-07 18:58:00 »

The resulting URL of my website is http://www.javagametome.com/www.freewebs.com/jeromeblouin, which is wrong.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #23 - Posted 2008-08-07 19:36:47 »

If you can use a different host for your DB, I can give you some space.

And should people be able to rate their own games? I gave my own fair scores, but lots of people will go 10. I guess it won't matter when more people start using the site.

I'm liking it so far, and I'm excited to see the library build.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #24 - Posted 2008-08-07 19:48:20 »

Also, maybe include a field that says was Java version is required.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #25 - Posted 2008-08-07 20:06:56 »

Also, maybe include a field that says was Java version is required.
Please use the "Requirements" field if you require any special Java version etc.

If you can use a different host for your DB, I can give you some space.
Thanks, but I am good for now. I am using 1and1 and so far they have a very reliable web service. My sites barely went down in the last 2-3 years (minutes at a time).

And should people be able to rate their own games?
Yes. You should be able to vote on your own game.

The resulting URL of my website is http://www.javagametome.com/www.freewebs.com/jeromeblouin, which is wrong.
You will need to add "http://" to the beginning of your URL. Simply submit a game update with the correct URL.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #26 - Posted 2008-08-07 20:23:24 »

Wow, you really to validate this situation then. Any developer could have this issue.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #27 - Posted 2008-08-07 21:21:43 »

One thing I noticed is that PHP is putting a \ before lots of your characters. I had this problem as well. Here is some code to fix it.

str_replace("¬å˚","\\",str_replace("\\","",str_replace("\\\\","¬å˚",$row[title])))

That is 3 nested replaces. Basically it replaces double backslashes with a weird random collection of symbols that hopefully nobody else tried to type, then it replaces the remaining backslashes with nothing, and finally converts the weird symbols back into backslashes. PHP converts \ into \\, so in the end it will look like you wanted it to.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 55

« Reply #28 - Posted 2008-08-07 22:48:03 »

Be careful with such approaches. You could circumvent auto-excaping this way, so that you open your server to a sql injection vulnerability. Make sure, you are only using this replaced strings for display and not for a db query Wink

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline noblemaster

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

« Reply #29 - Posted 2008-08-07 23:10:55 »

Thanks for the info. By the way, most entry fields (description, comments etc) support BBCode  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xFryIx (57 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (35 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (29 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (23 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (46 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (50 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (65 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04

CopyableCougar4 (63 views)
2014-11-01 23:36:41

DarkCart (148 views)
2014-11-01 14:51:03
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org