Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Buttons  (Read 3333 times)
Offline troggan

Junior Devvie

no guts no glory

« Posted 2003-08-25 15:04:43 »

Great looking buttons! Just like I wanted it Smiley !!

Congratulations!

Troggan

(http://www.wannawork.de) - Will work for food
(http://tvbrowser.org) - Java EPG
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Projects: 1
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-08-25 15:06:25 »

No problem!

-SG

Offline gregorypierce

Senior Devvie

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-08-25 15:28:44 »

Perfect - just what we needed.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 221
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-08-25 15:30:07 »

Already got me to read the Wiki and thats no small task Smiley

Kev

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 16
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-08-25 17:38:38 »

Whoa, buttons!!

I likes it. =)
You accidently missed the "Wurm Online" one, though. Wink

Play Minecraft!
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-08-26 06:47:45 »

Hehe sweet Smiley

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-08-26 10:19:05 »

Is it just me, or did they shrink all of a sudden? I'm sure they were larger (and in a slightly different order) the other day Roll Eyes...

I'm not bothered about ordering Smiley, but until web-browsers improve (to the point of being able to zoom entire webpages in/out...) it'd be nice to have slightly bigger/clearer buttons (the text needs a 1-pixel black outline, at least on the top 10%, because it is fading into the white BG; It would also be nice if the fonr size were a little larger).

Apologies if anyone is still stuck in 640x480 here, and I'm in danger of removing their precious screen real-estate  Tongue. [although this should not be a problem for web-designers; the major browsers could all do this already - they just haven't implemented it yet Sad...Moz has been promising it for ages, but still not working]

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-08-26 15:19:09 »

Is it just me, or did they shrink all of a sudden? I'm sure they were larger (and in a slightly different order) the other day Roll Eyes...

I'm not bothered about ordering Smiley, but until web-browsers improve (to the point of being able to zoom entire webpages in/out...) it'd be nice to have slightly bigger/clearer buttons (the text needs a 1-pixel black outline, at least on the top 10%, because it is fading into the white BG; It would also be nice if the fonr size were a little larger).

Apologies if anyone is still stuck in 640x480 here, and I'm in danger of removing their precious screen real-estate  Tongue. [although this should not be a problem for web-designers; the major browsers could all do this already - they just haven't implemented it yet Sad...Moz has been promising it for ages, but still not working]

Colors: will consider changing if it's a REAL problem (but I think it looks cool Smiley)

Size: Plan on adding more selections shortly, so I need the room

Buttons: Changed from a series of buttons to a bar so it renders properly in all browsers Smiley

-SG

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-08-26 16:12:05 »

Colors: will consider changing if it's a REAL problem (but I think it looks cool Smiley)

Nothing wrong with the colours; I like the colours. Just an ultra-thin line around each letter would make it easier to read.

Now, on to the serious question Wink...what do we think the extra buttons will be for?

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-08-26 18:03:10 »

Ca't say JUST yet....but, check out the front page of Java.net/games.....no more "unloved page" will be found there Smiley

(More details to follow shortly)

-SG

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-08-26 18:52:49 »

but until web-browsers improve (to the point of being able to zoom entire webpages in/out...)

*cough* Opera *cough*

No really, if you've not tried it go give it a whirl - worth it alone for the mouse gestures and MDI-ness. Grin

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline troggan

Junior Devvie

no guts no glory

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-08-27 03:39:19 »

oh boy....can't wait to see the changes Smiley.

*cough* mozilla has mouse-gestures, too (mozdev.org) *cough*

(http://www.wannawork.de) - Will work for food
(http://tvbrowser.org) - Java EPG
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-08-28 15:56:36 »

Nothing wrong with the colours; I like the colours. Just an ultra-thin line around each letter would make it easier to read.

I've just realised the problem is probably that you lot all have CRT monitors, or else good LCD screens.

Like all Dell-laptop owners, I'm cursed with a screen that goes from "brighter than car-headlights" all the way to "burn-a-hole-in-the-back-of-your-head".

No, really...I've used this laptop as a torch at night in the garden, or to find dropped keys in a keypark on a moonless night.

Colour reproduction tends to be really good, except that white is only ever ultra-white, and so ht otherwise sensible buttons come out 35% white, making the text much harder to see. Hence the need for outlines.

(on the plus side, these Dell LCD's are fantastically sharp. 1400x1050 at 15 inches, and you can still make out every pixel. Paper-flat, laser-printer sharp.)

Offline nlmueng

Junior Devvie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-09-03 17:28:44 »

blahblahblahh:  WebWindow browser allows you to zoom in and out of the page, and it is written in java.  

http://www.javio.com/
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Who, me?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-09-04 20:48:24 »

Or to go slightly more main-stream, what's wrong with Mozilla's zooming capability?  I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by "entire". :-/

No, really...I've used this laptop as a torch at night in the garden, or to find dropped keys in a keypark on a moonless night.

Heh, I added a phosphor-coated cylinder filled with radioactive gas to my keyring, so I can always see where they are! Tongue Grin

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-09-05 07:59:19 »

Or to go slightly more main-stream, what's wrong with Mozilla's zooming capability?  I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by "entire". :-/

Sorry - what zooming capability? Moz doesn't zoom pages and can't even properly zoom text (lots of bugs), AFAIAA. And, being CC:'d on the bug reports where many many people have been begging and pleading for zooming to be fixed / added to Moz for well over a year, I've seen no sign of a fix yet...

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Who, me?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2003-09-05 10:05:47 »

Sorry - what zooming capability? Moz doesn't zoom pages and can't even properly zoom text (lots of bugs), AFAIAA. And, being CC:'d on the bug reports where many many people have been begging and pleading for zooming to be fixed / added to Moz for well over a year, I've seen no sign of a fix yet...

Again, I don't get what you mean by "zoom pages" in that statement.  I can press CTRL+ or CTRL- to increase and decrease the text size (but not the graphics).  Is this not what you're talking about? Huh

This is obviously a difference in terminology, but I just don't know what yours is! Grin

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #17 - Posted 2003-09-05 10:14:37 »

Again, I don't get what you mean by "zoom pages" in that statement.  I can press CTRL+ or CTRL- to increase and decrease the text size (but not the graphics).  Is this not what you're talking about? Huh

This is obviously a difference in terminology, but I just don't know what yours is! Grin

Um, we've been talking about the "Buttons" on JGO, which are just images. Mozilla has had on it's RFE's for a very long time a plan to have zoomable web pages [like looking through a magnirying glass - all pixels are zoomed, not just changed font size) (IIRC, Opera already has this?). Some of the moz developers drew a lot of criticism for deciding they wouldn't fix bugs with the text zoom feature "because it will all be obseleted by the page-zoom feature"...which zooms text and grahpics perfectly.

The point they were making is that if you just zoom text, you screw up the layout of a page. If you zoom text+graphics on a pixel-basis, you can maintain the page layout perfectly.

Most of the responses were either "I don't have trouble with images, I don't want them to zoom - it's just some stupid web 'designers' who use 6-pt fonts or similar" or "HTML is meant to be a dynamic/client-based layout - there's no WYSIWYG guarantees. Just because Mozilla's stylesheet layout engine still has bugs isn't a reason not to zoom text" (note: for a long while, zooming text in mozilla would cause it to flow outside of it's boundaries in ways that shouldn't happen according to the CSS spec. AFAIAA these are mostly/all fixed now).

P.S. the most annoying bugs with text zoom still haven't been fixed (it's not remembered from session to session, nor is it remembered from tab to tab), although they have quite a few votes Smiley.

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Who, me?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2003-09-05 10:50:32 »

Ah, gotcha. Wink  Yeah, that would be nice to see - I'll have to keep an eye on it now...

I have to say I was recently rather horrified to notice that while IE allowed you to increase and decrease the text size, this facility didn't apply to any text that had been explicitly sized by the page author.  Um, excuse me?  Isn't that the *whole problem*? Roll Eyes

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Charlie's First Law of Software: In general, software sucks.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #19 - Posted 2003-09-05 12:36:13 »

Ah, gotcha. Wink  Yeah, that would be nice to see - I'll have to keep an eye on it now...

I have to say I was recently rather horrified to notice that while IE allowed you to increase and decrease the text size, this facility didn't apply to any text that had been explicitly sized by the page author.  Um, excuse me?  Isn't that the *whole problem*? Roll Eyes

Yup, that's [was; I think it's fixed now...see below] one of the outstanding bugs with Moz, too. Argument put forward by one of the developers "if the web-developer wants it that way...". Unsurprisingly, that didn't go down well...It's just a good thing that not ALL moz devs are self-centred idiots.

It's quite depressing how much argument has been necessary for some people on the buglist to finally accept that moz needs to override ALL font settings, and just setting a "minimum pt size for fonts" is nowhere near enough (aside from the fact that it doesn't always work Sad).

[Actually, it's been a while since I found a site that moz couldn't resize the text - that bug at least may now have been fixed. It certainly wasn't in time for 1.2, and IIRC still wasn't perfect in 1.3, but I don't have any "known sites" to test it on...]

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Elsealabs (20 views)
2014-12-28 10:39:27

CopyableCougar4 (21 views)
2014-12-28 02:10:29

BurntPizza (25 views)
2014-12-27 22:38:51

Mr.CodeIt (15 views)
2014-12-27 04:03:04

TheDudeFromCI (20 views)
2014-12-27 02:14:49

Mr.CodeIt (26 views)
2014-12-23 03:34:11

rwatson462 (60 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (48 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (98 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (116 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31
How do I start Java Game Development?
by gouessej
2014-12-27 19:41:21

Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org