Games in Android Showcase (121)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
  ignore  |  Print  
  Virus Effect (2D Platformer RPG Shooter)  (Read 87122 times)
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #150 - Posted 2009-02-20 19:53:26 »

ok, can oyu post when lvl 8 comes out to that I can try it out. you mentioned a while back about having skills, how is that coming along. also jsut out of curiosity do you know your level maker in person?

yes i agree jet packs would rule.

I am glad this project is back up and active. was worried it would be drowned out.
keep up the great work.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Projects: 1

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #151 - Posted 2009-02-20 20:08:14 »

Yeah I'll definitely post on here when its up. Nope I don't know my Level Designer in person, but we've become good friends now. We got quite a few continents working on the game. I don't know any of them in person.

Level Designer - Is in Kentucky
Pixel Artist - Is in Japan (But hes a US marine)
Graphic Artist - She is somewhere in US, I think it was Ohio
Writer - He is in Australia
I'm In Houston

Thanks, I'll never stop working on VE.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
Android: Pac-Ball
Web Applet: Virus Effect
Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #152 - Posted 2009-02-20 21:06:12 »

just curious hwo long have you guys when working on VE?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #153 - Posted 2009-02-20 22:14:43 »

I started working on VE back in May 2008, then everyone joined in roughly two months apart each.

Old Games
Offline martineriksen

Junior Duke

« Reply #154 - Posted 2009-02-21 00:22:07 »

I was just playing around with phys2d - had an idea for a similar game which I may not need to make now that you already have it :-) In phys2d there is the concept of "joints" that keeps two bodies in a certain distance from one another. That is the ninja rope right there!

Oh, didn't I read about you guys turning it into an MMO on your site? My 5 cents: That sounds wildly ambitious. Networking alone would be ambitious. But: I really like your concept that the players state is stored (in a room) in the game - that is not too technically challenging to make and adds RPG aspects to the game.

Good luck, Martin

Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #155 - Posted 2009-02-21 01:01:39 »

Using phys2d wouldn't be too hard making a rope, but the problem with that is the frame rate. Basically everything we currently have in the game wouldn't be possible. There would be too many entities on the screen for the engine to handle well enough for an action packed game.

Well our MMO goal has changed recently, I sat down with my Level Designer, who also helps me out with the overall game design. I told him that MMO wont be easy due to the physics engine, basically its more like a Counter Strike engine. So MMO isn't likely, which I knew from the beginning. But I recently came up with a new method instead, basically it would be something like Left 4 Dead or a party system. You gather a couple people in your room, then the room owner chooses either an Episode, Mission, or Multiplayer game type and they play it together.

So with this method, the story mode will be essential, since your character is the same one in multiplayer and story mode. So you will be "forced" to play the story version to get better upgrades, equipment, items, weapons, and reach higher levels. Then you would use that stuff in multiplayer.

Later on you will be able to start a team/guild/clan, the leader can purchase a headquarters for the team. In this HQ and your room, you will be able to decorate it however you want with purchases of furniture and other stuff. There will be tournaments your team can play in, and will receive trophies that you can place in the headquarters. When ever you are about to play another team, one team has to go to the other team's HQ. Leaders will be able to place the spawn point entrance where ever they please, so they can place it right in front of the trophy case to show off their winnings.

The only problem, is who is the server. The leader, our own servers, or something else. Purchasing the HQ means allocating a space on our own servers? We'll see once we find out how many players can play on one server comfortably. But four player coop would be fun, and in my mind is completely doable.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #156 - Posted 2009-02-21 07:03:20 »

will you be able to do this without using your "gold member" idea? cause if so, GL! I cant wait, btw is lvl 8 there?
Offline martineriksen

Junior Duke

« Reply #157 - Posted 2009-02-21 16:03:14 »

Which physics engine do you use? JBox2D? Or a homegrown?

Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #158 - Posted 2009-02-21 19:18:27 »

Which physics engine do you use? JBox2D? Or a homegrown?
The physics I use is homegrown, that is what I worked on the first two months of production.

will you be able to do this without using your "gold member" idea? cause if so, GL! I cant wait, btw is lvl 8 there?
Idk, I spend way too much time working on this to not eventually make money off of it. But the idea is to make the game free for everyone, but for free users there is a level cap. As for multiplayer, free users would only be able to play two maps. This isn't set in stone, so most likely it will change down the line.

Oh yeah, my Level Designer's computer died... so episode 8 will either have to wait, or I was gonna make one. But he said he already started, so idk if I should start working on an episode.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #159 - Posted 2009-02-21 20:14:29 »

AWW come on, grr. well I cant wait.

btw a money making idea is adds. do you know what google adsense is? or u get other adds.

keep up the good work.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #160 - Posted 2009-02-21 21:05:37 »

Hey everyone, h3ckboy reminded me of this blog post I ran across:
29 Business Models for Games

Everyone should check it out.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #161 - Posted 2009-02-21 21:26:40 »

u could use one of the ideas(forgot number), and have adds in the background, there is nothing else there.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #162 - Posted 2009-02-21 21:45:09 »

Yea I was thinking of having:
  • Micropayments - For special guns/items/equipment/maybe furniture...
  • In Game Ads - Ads on a billboard in the cities, mostly advertising the Micropayment stuff, unless someone else approaches us with their ads.
  • Monthly Payments - For all features unlocked, most likely around $5 a month.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #163 - Posted 2009-02-22 07:42:38 »

it doesnt have to be ingame adds only. that is the beauty of having an applet game. website adds will be just as efficient.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #164 - Posted 2009-02-22 08:18:00 »

You are right sir, after doing some research I have decided not to lock up most of the game. More people the better, after all this is why I chose applet distribution. Although I cannot say for sure that other unforeseeable cool features can not be locked behind a Gold Member account, it is still early.

Oh! I'm almost certain that I found the bug that caused the deletion of stuff in room, and resetting of kill count. It was the dumbest thing ever, lol i just changed >= to >. So now it is certain that no resets will occur, although this is a wait and see situation since there is no way to really reproduce it. So if anyone's account resets, be sure to let me know.

Btw, I'm working melee weapons!?

Old Games
Offline martineriksen

Junior Duke

« Reply #165 - Posted 2009-02-22 10:37:33 »

Mellee weapons - great idea! :-)

Money: I like the idea that people can buy new weapons for real money! So you could let them play all they want with the pistol and when they get stuck using that they can buy another gun, and another aso :-)

Networking: Be warned, if you think it is hard work now, networking is going to be a real bitch to dance with... Also most people playing casual games like this one does it when they have 10 minutes at the computer; they dont gather their friends for a big network game. My theory at least...

Engine: You didnt think of taking box2d or phys2d and rewrite / optimize for the specific needs you have? Just curious as I am right now playing around with the 2 and thinking about making a game with many of the same aspects as yours.

Offline irreversible_kev

Junior Duke

« Reply #166 - Posted 2009-02-22 12:10:10 »

One thing that has annoyed me on many occasions is that you can't jump when your walking down a slope.

Good luck with the networking - I can see it being very cool.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #167 - Posted 2009-02-22 13:25:35 »

works if I leave room and then come back. but if I press ESC and then come back the gun is gone.

I am glad to hear that the gold memeber idea is being put on hold.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #168 - Posted 2009-02-22 18:27:37 »

Finally, someone that can reproduce the error. Alright I fixed it, there shouldn't be any fear of losing your guns now. Smiley Thanks h3ckboy.

One thing that has annoyed me on many occasions is that you can't jump when your walking down a slope.
Yes I believe the jumping while walking down a slope is the last error on the list. I'm gonna have to try many things to fix this one.

Networking: Be warned, if you think it is hard work now, networking is going to be a real bitch to dance with... Also most people playing casual games like this one does it when they have 10 minutes at the computer; they dont gather their friends for a big network game. My theory at least...
I see your point, but I originally also had in mind: go in your room, choose a game type, click something that broadcasts you are searching for players. Then players start joining your room, once everyone is in, then you can start it up. This will probably be the hardest part to get just right.

Engine: You didnt think of taking box2d or phys2d and rewrite / optimize for the specific needs you have? Just curious as I am right now playing around with the 2 and thinking about making a game with many of the same aspects as yours.
I tried this for a while with Project X version. I either didn't delve deep enough with the engine, or I realized that the engine is too slow for a browser game. I'd suggest starting with their engine first, but it was just easier for me to deal with all of my own quirks then figure out all of theirs.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #169 - Posted 2009-02-22 18:59:08 »

Alright I fixed it, there shouldn't be any fear of losing your guns now

fear is unescapable. I still lost my gun. good thing I have tons of cash with wich to by pistols to tets this crap.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #170 - Posted 2009-02-22 19:09:10 »

Yea I realized that before you posted, its fixed now... v1.5.75

Spoke too soon... now its fixed Cheesy v1.5.76

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #171 - Posted 2009-02-22 19:13:28 »

nope. it did not work. btw can I get some credx I have spent quite a bit on these tests lol.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #172 - Posted 2009-02-22 19:24:22 »

Did you try it on v1.5.76? I can't add credx to players that are playing the game, it resets when your in game.

I'll put you down as a tester in credits since you were the only one that could reproduce the error. Is that cool? Whats your first and last name if so?

Gave you 120 credx now.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #173 - Posted 2009-02-22 20:03:32 »

thx, I am Pearce Keesling. yeah I tried it with 1.5.76.

btw is the map makers comp back up?
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #174 - Posted 2009-02-22 20:27:00 »

K added you to the credits. I don't see any issues with the room now. There are three ways to exit the room, into the city, pressing escape, and going into an episode. All three ways the room's items get saved before leaving.

btw is the map makers comp back up?
No he has not been on all day, I should probably get his phone number next time I talk to him.

Old Games
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #175 - Posted 2009-02-22 21:06:21 »

I am a moron. I jsut realized this as i was watching your vid in the history thing. I am dropping the items in teh town. I am gunna try it again but dropping in the right place. sry for my mistake.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #176 - Posted 2009-02-22 21:07:45 »

yeah its all better. sry man, my mistake.
Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #177 - Posted 2009-02-22 21:26:26 »

That's cool, it just means I need to design a better training and info system.

I think it'll be a lot clearer when the story mode is released.

Old Games
Offline martineriksen

Junior Duke

« Reply #178 - Posted 2009-02-23 17:29:12 »

JBox2D is supposed to run maybe 10 times faster than Phys2D - that may be worth looking into. They have some damn impressive demos on their webpage. I am thinking with a real physic engine you get some pretty cool things for free - like ninja rope, ability to push around boxes etc. Have you seen this?

http://www.cokeandcode.com/demos/platformer/platformer.jnlp

Well, maybe that is not the physics you are looking for... I just have a recent infatuation with these engines; I think it could be super cool to have a game where you move around in a world like that Smiley

Offline Corvinex

Senior Duke

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #179 - Posted 2009-02-23 21:25:00 »

Yes I have seen that demo, its actually what I based my Phys2D code around. But there are many more issues to deal with as opposed to creating your own. I'll probably try again once I make the next rendition of VE.

Btw, the Level Designer is working on maps at school now since he doesn't have a computer anymore, so maybe he'll send some to me tomorrow. The sword is coming along nicely, all I have to do now is rework the collide points, and it should be ready. I'm gonna work on that now.

Old Games
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (20 views)
2014-10-25 15:46:29

Longarmx (53 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (47 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (35 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (39 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (69 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (69 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (61 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (74 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (47 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org