Games in Showcase (581)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  ignore  |  Print  
  Virus Effect (2D Platformer RPG Shooter)  (Read 80212 times)
Offline RXM9600

Junior Newbie

« Reply #90 - Posted 2008-10-27 06:49:51 »

Leaderboards are up! YAAY! Can you make it to  #1?!
Offline Corvinex

Projects: 1

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #91 - Posted 2008-12-19 23:25:06 »

Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while.

I just released an update to VE. I have no idea how anyone will react to it, because my team hasn't been on in a while. So I would love to hear what you guys think.

I'm also stuck at a crossroads and maybe you guys could help me decide. I am planning on creating a multiplayer version of VE and will be recoding everything. And I cannot decide between LWJGL and JOGL, and also Webstart or Applet. I have done pretty well with Applets of course, but I keep reading all these horror stories on these forums about how crappy Applets are and I hate wasting time.

I am leaning towards LWJGL but I hear all these updates for JOGL and also don't want to waste time if later on JOGL is better or something like that. So any thoughts appreciated, and I want to hear what you guys think of the gore, lol.

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
Android: Pac-Ball
Web Applet: Virus Effect
Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 12

Game Engineer

« Reply #92 - Posted 2008-12-19 23:55:04 »

I like LWJGL better because it also includes timers, input, and OpenAL. You may also want to check out Slick. It's LWJGL with a lot of stuff specifically for 2D games, like particle effects and physics and the like (erm well maybe Phys2D just can come with it, not sure on that one). Either way you've already got physics I know so that part of it probably isn't interesting to you.

I personally would go with Webstart because it's much more large application oriented. Applets are great but seem better for smaller ventures because of the loading time required and everything, and with Webstart resources will stay cached permanently. Applet caches are subject to browser resets and the like. However, you get the obvious benefit of your game appearing embedded within a webpage, which is nice.

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #93 - Posted 2008-12-20 00:05:29 »

Thanks for the info, so you're for LWJGL and Webstart. That is what I was going for, but the only reason I stuck with Applets was the embedded fact. I don't want to lose any potential users with having to download a full application. Although gamers are used to downloading games to play, I wanted to reach as many people as possible.

Old Games
Offline irreversible_kev

« Reply #94 - Posted 2008-12-20 01:15:34 »

Is it that much effort to deploy with both methods?

I do acctualy like the applet version as you dont have to launch it separately from the browser.

Hopefully the JavaFX/ Applet thing will take off so that having it as an applet will be significantly more useful in terms of portals etc...

The game is as cool as usual and a multiplayer version sounds awesome!
Offline SimonH
« Reply #95 - Posted 2008-12-20 01:31:16 »

BIG problems with it (v1.5.6 applet) here;

1. Security popup - warn people about this: 'This game uses special graphics stuff you need to give permission for, etc'
2. Long (>2mins) white-screen delay on loading. Use a loader applet or something (Dzzd has done some great work in this area) Most people will think it's crashed.
3. No 'sound off' option - you get the music/sound whether you like it or not.
4. Painfully slow (W2K Java6u11) FPS says 40 but it plays more like 4. IIRC the earlier demos were ok.

It's a shame because it looks like a good game - you really need to sort these problems!

People make games and games make people
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #96 - Posted 2008-12-20 01:57:56 »

Is it that much effort to deploy with both methods?
I would rather just have one way of deployment. So your for applets then.

1. Security popup - warn people about this: 'This game uses special graphics stuff you need to give permission for, etc'
2. Long (>2mins) white-screen delay on loading. Use a loader applet or something (Dzzd has done some great work in this area) Most people will think it's crashed.
3. No 'sound off' option - you get the music/sound whether you like it or not.
4. Painfully slow (W2K Java6u11) FPS says 40 but it plays more like 4. IIRC the earlier demos were ok.
1. Wow good news, or dumb news, I completely forgot that the only reason I signed it was because of old code that I took out. So there is no need to have it signed, so its taken out. lol how embarrasing....
2. Yea the long white screen is due to http loading of music. I know there is a way to have a loading bar, but I haven't looked into it yet. If anyone could direct me to a thread or tutorial of it, I would appreciate it.
3. I'll start on it right now, I just have to do an options menu, for it.
4. I'm pretty sure the slow down is caused by the music, but i'm not sure, hopefully having the music off option will show if this is true or not.

Thanks for replies, all feedback is useful.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #97 - Posted 2008-12-20 04:04:41 »

2 - You should put music loading in another thread and then run the game while it's loading.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #98 - Posted 2008-12-20 04:18:28 »

When I do put it in a thread is there a way to count how many bytes have been loaded? That way I can put a loading bar. Or is there a way to even know when they're all done?  Even with that I can have a waiting screen and you would still be able to play around with enemies or something. I guess at the end of the thread you would do some kind of notification.

*Edit: Ok, I added the options menu, and it turns out having the music play has a big influence on the FPS, as well as the sound effects. So if you want to run the game at its fastest turn both off. Or just turn one off to run a little faster.

Old Games
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #99 - Posted 2008-12-21 21:22:06 »

Hey, I finally made a game play video of VE. I wanted to tell you guys, just in case some of you don't feel like signing up and trying the actual game.

Its on the site news and game info page.
www.viruseffect.com
YouTube

I would love to hear what you guys think, for those of you that haven't seen before.

Old Games
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #100 - Posted 2008-12-22 04:51:03 »

When I do put it in a thread is there a way to count how many bytes have been loaded? That way I can put a loading bar. Or is there a way to even know when they're all done?  Even with that I can have a waiting screen and you would still be able to play around with enemies or something. I guess at the end of the thread you would do some kind of notification.

*Edit: Ok, I added the options menu, and it turns out having the music play has a big influence on the FPS, as well as the sound effects. So if you want to run the game at its fastest turn both off. Or just turn one off to run a little faster.
Basically I would just have my SoundManager class (or whatever you have), have its list of AudioClip's (or however you're doing it), and at the start you tell it to preloadAll(). preloadAll() does this:
private HashMap<String,AudioClip> sounds;

public void preloadAll()
{
     new Thread(new SoundLoader()).start();
}

private class SoundLoader implements Runnable
{
     public SoundLoader()
     {

}

public void run()
     {
          sounds.add(getNewAudioClip("shoot.wav");
          sounds.add(getNewAudioClip("hurt.wav");
          sounds.add(getNewAudioClip("music.aif");
          //etc.
    }
}

public void play(String sound)
{
     AudioClip c = sounds.get(sound);
     if (c != null)
          c.play();
}

That should give you the idea. Basically the sound manager chugs along trying to load the sounds and you continue to call play() as usual from the rest of your program, but it will obviously only play if it has been loaded already. In SoundLoader you would want to put more important / smaller sounds first, then stuff like background music later. getNewAudioClip would just be a method that loads your clip from your resources however you would want to do it and then returns that clip.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #101 - Posted 2008-12-23 19:36:36 »

Well I would rather have everything that the game needs loaded at the beginning. Besides its usually a one time load since it goes into cache. So I made a loading screen, without the loading bar, and it just displays what its currently loading instead.

Old Games
Offline anemian

Junior Newbie

« Reply #102 - Posted 2009-01-05 01:15:34 »

On firefox I only get the pause screen.

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at TestShooter.stop(TestShooter.java:256)
   at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Guest 683e05145631de62822f746e53f8d892  Loading Maps/titleScreen.data map.

On IE it works but it's like there's no verticle sync.
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 3

« Reply #103 - Posted 2009-01-05 20:42:29 »

Wow! This really awesome!  Cheesy Really addictive. I'll create an account from home since I'm now addict. This reminds me the goodness of Metroid.  Smiley

Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #104 - Posted 2009-01-06 02:08:57 »

On firefox I only get the pause screen.

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at TestShooter.stop(TestShooter.java:256)
   at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Guest 683e05145631de62822f746e53f8d892  Loading Maps/titleScreen.data map.

On IE it works but it's like there's no verticle sync.

Thanks for the info. I uploaded a fix for that.

Wow! This really awesome!  Cheesy Really addictive. I'll create an account from home since I'm now addict. This reminds me the goodness of Metroid.  Smiley

Thanks, I'm working on some new episodes and features. I'll post when I get more done.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #105 - Posted 2009-01-06 05:32:05 »

Speaking of reminding of Metroid, I think part of what's missing here is character design. The main character is very boring, in my opinion. Just sort of a robot thingie. Could your artist flesh it out a bit more? And/or give it a backstory / high rez imagining?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 3

« Reply #106 - Posted 2009-01-06 15:17:29 »

Yes, the graphics are rather low res. Maybe that's intentional due to supported bandwidth? About character design, well I guess that's subjective. I'm fine with it.

Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #107 - Posted 2009-01-07 09:48:43 »

Yea that character was originally made as a base character. We were planning on having equipment that you customize your player with. Different helmets, chest plates, leg armor, and boots. Each would have different stat improvements. I'm about to go find a new pixel artist. My latest one is not returning work.

Old Games
Offline systat

Senior Newbie

Projects: 2

« Reply #108 - Posted 2009-01-10 11:47:21 »

It says paused, click to play! I click inside applet, and nothing happens...
Offline Ru5tyNZ

Senior Newbie

« Reply #109 - Posted 2009-01-10 11:52:18 »

It says paused, click to play! I click inside applet, and nothing happens...

I get the same thing.
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #110 - Posted 2009-01-10 20:21:27 »

Ah I'm still working out the loading screen. It will load while it says its paused, and once it says Loading complete... then you click inside the applet and it should run. The loading might take a little bit initially but once you do the initial download it will run fast the next time around.

Idk if anyone cares but I was featured on http://gamecareerguide.com
Its on the front page under features. The direct link is http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/683/inside_the_igf_2009_sneak_peek_at_.php

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #111 - Posted 2009-01-11 10:12:48 »

Congrats!

I definitely commend you on being able to find so many people to work on the game with you, as well as on entering your game into the IGF. Very cool.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline marinepower

Projects: 2

« Reply #112 - Posted 2009-01-18 18:43:50 »

Dude, virus effect is an awesome game, I really enjoyed playing it (#8 on leaderboards lol), but here are some quick things off the top of my head that you might want to consider changing:

You should give the gravity gun some other effect so that users are tempted to use it.  Other guns, such as the grenade launcher, are just much more useful.  You could add a bunch of secret areas to make it worth while, or upgrade it so that it paralyzes the hit enemy units.

Next is the flamethrower, which also feels a bit watered-down.  You should give it a higher base damage if it has one, as catching an enemy on fire is fairly easy, but it takes for them too long to die.  Another effect that might be good is that fire will continue travelling after it hits a target, so that you can really create the apperance of a fire storm.  This would be great on that intro level with the huge mass of boxes.

You might want to tone down a bit how much an enemy flies back when shot, or make it based on the weapon strength and the enemy weight, since rapid fire weapons seem to send enemies flying (especially the last boss on level 7).  You could also add some code to remove some of the stacking that occurs when several enemies are chasing you at once, which is especially noticable with blobs.  That's basically it for monsters Grin

Some other things I've seen are that the mouse scroll will move the page, that the background music heavily impacts the game's performance, and that often times those health and armor powerups get stuck under a stack of boxes, which gives it an unrealistic feeling.

This game is already great, but imo with some of those things buffered out, it can really get popular.  Your 'X' version is comung along great too, can't wait to see it.
Offline Swattkidd7

« Reply #113 - Posted 2009-01-18 21:20:04 »

Great game, but a problem i have a lot, is that when I am logged in, it stills says I can only go into training mode and says I must log in.. Happens pretty much 90 percent of the time I try.
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #114 - Posted 2009-01-18 22:52:48 »

Congrats!
Thanks, my method for getting people to help is by telling them they can work on a real indie game that is actively progressing and that they will be credited publicly. That and giving them freedom to create stuff they want to see in the game.

You should give the gravity gun some other effect so that users are tempted to use it.  Other guns, such as the grenade launcher, are just much more useful.  You could add a bunch of secret areas to make it worth while, or upgrade it so that it paralyzes the hit enemy units.

Next is the flamethrower, which also feels a bit watered-down.  You should give it a higher base damage if it has one, as catching an enemy on fire is fairly easy, but it takes for them too long to die.  Another effect that might be good is that fire will continue travelling after it hits a target, so that you can really create the apperance of a fire storm.  This would be great on that intro level with the huge mass of boxes.

You might want to tone down a bit how much an enemy flies back when shot, or make it based on the weapon strength and the enemy weight, since rapid fire weapons seem to send enemies flying (especially the last boss on level 7).  You could also add some code to remove some of the stacking that occurs when several enemies are chasing you at once, which is especially noticable with blobs.  That's basically it for monsters Grin

Some other things I've seen are that the mouse scroll will move the page, that the background music heavily impacts the game's performance, and that often times those health and armor powerups get stuck under a stack of boxes, which gives it an unrealistic feeling.
Those are some great suggestions. For the Anti-Gravity gun I was thinking of having an impact speed added to enemies, so if you slap them against something they get hurt or die. I'll try out the stun effect also.

The thing with the weapons, I initially thought I was gonna make enemies drop weapons and have different stats for them Diablo style. But I haven't gotten to that point so i'll raise they're power like they used to be. I'll try out the flame still moves past what it hits idea.

Lol the hit fly back power. Yeah I threw that in there one day when I was bored, the algorithm that I used to calculate how much it flies back is poor. Heh, i like the stacking, makes them look smart when they're trying to reach you at a high platform, lol.

Yes in internet explorer when you scroll the whole page scrolls. Does anyone know how to fix this, is there some kind of grab mouse method in applets?
Yes the music playing does affect the game, I'm using a .wav as a sound file, played in a thread. Does anyone know of a better method?
Hmm, I wonder how I could fix the power ups getting stuck under boxes. I always hated how that looks, I assumed gamers didn't notice or care since no one said anything.

Great game, but a problem i have a lot, is that when I am logged in, it stills says I can only go into training mode and says I must log in.. Happens pretty much 90 percent of the time I try.
When ever you're logged in and you go to the game page. If the loading of the applet takes too long, the authentication timer expires, so you have to refresh the page to be authenticated. If the 90% you speak of is still after refreshing, then that's a problem I need to fix.

Thanks again everyone.  Grin

Edit: I just put up a new version that contains more balanced weapons. The Anti-Gravity gun can now be considered a weapon, through the use of accelerating enemies to the point where a sudden stop against, lets say a wall, does some damage. The flamethrower and dual shot have increased damage given.

Old Games
Offline Swattkidd7

« Reply #115 - Posted 2009-01-20 10:27:13 »

Well if you've got time I recommend trying out level 3 after having only played through levels 1 and 2. It is very very difficult to even get past the third room (I haven't done it). It seems like the level was designed for a much more powerful weapon, but you really can't afford one unless you beat levels 1 and 2 twenty times.
Completely agree, im at that stage now Sad

Oh and i came across a problem, on the third part of the third stage, when all those enemies attack your right out of the gate, if you go back to the second part to escape for a second and try to go back sometimes the enemies block the door and you get stuck in the second room.

also about the log in problems it worked today (it works randomly sometimes) but other times even if i refreshed it still would tell me to enter training, but idk seems like a problem just on my end since nobody else experienced it
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #116 - Posted 2009-01-21 01:21:30 »

I expanded upon Episode 2, although I don't know if its easier than episode 3. I edited room 3 episode 3, but there are probably other rooms with the same blocking issue.

I increased the authentication timer by a little bit, please tell me if you still get the issue so I can increase it more if needed.

Thanks.

Old Games
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #117 - Posted 2009-01-24 21:07:44 »

Holy shit, I just changed the most fundamental thing about VE, and it just made it funner.

It fixes the blocking issue with doors, it fixes the blocking issues with enemies, and it makes it easier and harder at the same time.

No more enemy collisions!
Lol, idk why I did not do this earlier. It is so much more fun now.

Everyone that got stuck either against enemies or through doors, its time to give VE one more try.
Tell me your thoughts.

Old Games
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #118 - Posted 2009-01-25 19:49:39 »

I quit. Level 6 is just stupid if the enemies don't collide with you. You'll easily get overlapped by 8 or 10 at once (that you can't see until you're already mobbed) and then you die instantly. It's huge problem when: 1) There are enemies below you and there is no way to look. Holding down should look downwards a lot further so you can see what you're jumping to. 2) There are enemies directly on the next screen when you walk over. There is no time to react to this so it also gets stupid.

Plus, when you've got the new way of collision, both of these occurrences will totally screw you. When an enemy is close quarters hitting you it can't be shot (at least not with the AK-47), so you have to jump away to even hit something that is already totally point blank, which typically leads you into even more enemies and therefore is the end of you.

Other times I get annoyed is when there is literally no way not to get hit... a lot. Like in level 6 at the beginning of the second screen where you've got to jump up the shaft with the gravity gun, no matter what you will have 4 or 5 slimes dropping down onto you from the top spire. There is no way to "react" fast enough because they're already on you by the time you've landed. There are quite a few instances like this in the levels. I think the design could be worked on a bit.

I really like stuff taking collision damage, though, that's pretty sweet.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Corvinex

Work Hard, Go Pro.

« Reply #119 - Posted 2009-01-26 03:17:06 »

Yeah, the old map maker was crazy on making levels super hard. We are in the process of implementing the story, which will practically have nothing to do with the current episodes. The new style in which I envisioned originally will have all areas connected, and not episodic.

I moved back the rifle bullet a couple pixels hopefully this helps a little bit. The only reason I don't start the bullet in the center of the player is because the bullet starts out with a initial random direction with constraints. And the most extreme angle, if the bullets starts far back it will not look like its coming out of the barrel.

I don't use the Anti-Gravity gun for that part. If you jump and then crouch in the air, you can make on top of the platform. I will have an in depth training area in the story version.

I really like stuff taking collision damage, though, that's pretty sweet.
Yea, i'm gonna expand on this to include the wooden boxes.

Old Games
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (64 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (75 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (58 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (76 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (101 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (161 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (256 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (209 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (216 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org